ADVERTISEMENT

who is the most overrated Pittsburgh athlete ever?

The only problem with the article is that it makes a huge mistake.
It claims that WWII was the first time African Americans appeared in the Army in large numbers.
Excuse me, but by the end of the Civil War, they accounted for slightly more than 25% of the GAR.
They volunteered by the thousands and distinguished themselves as brave soldiers.
Eventually, they received the same pay, but it took alot of spilled blood to get there.
I love what Robinson did just as much as the next guy, but he freed and runaway slaves deserve to be recognized.
This article removes them from modern history.
Actually, there were a large number of black soldiers in George Washington's army during the revolution.

Reactions: Swervin27
There was a large number of blacks fighting for the confederates in the civil war too.

If the civil war was over slavery and not states rights, it would make you wonder why they'd fight for the south. Kind of like Muslim women protesting for the jihab.
Well, I'm sure for the 200,000 black union soldiers, it was about ending slavery.
The 7500 or so Confederates, probably coerced. In any event, southern blacks of that period probably had very little civics knowledge.
Dude, the Confederates executed any black Union soldier they captured. The idea of armed blacks terrified the South, until the bitter end when they needed fighters of any stripe to hang on.

Well, I'm sure for the 200,000 black union soldiers, it was about ending slavery.
The 7500 or so Confederates, probably coerced. In any event, southern blacks of that period probably had very little civics knowledge.
Dude, the Confederates executed any black Union soldier they captured. The idea of armed blacks terrified the South, until the bitter end when they needed fighters of any stripe to hang on.

Actually there have been studies that showed that many of the black Confederate soldiers did not have to be forced to take up arms. In some way were defending what was their homeland as well. They had also been told that the approaching Union army were devils and would execute them on sight

Actually there have been studies that showed that many of the black Confederate soldiers did not have to be forced to take up arms. In some way were defending what was their homeland as well. They had also been told that the approaching Union army were devils and would execute them on sight
Very ironic for them, when the exact opposite was true.
These folks were uneducated and used to obeying/relying on their white masters and overseers. It is easy to see how they could be duped into believing that supporting the Confederacy was somehow in their best interests.
It is clear though that only a relatively small number fell for it.

He has been great. But tonight is the first real pressure situation he and the Pens faced this post season. So will be interesting how he/they respond.
Washington on the road, facing elimination against the full Pen's roster sans Letang, with Sullivan getting the last line change, and still with that huge monkey on their backs...

The "pressure" on the Pens pales in comparison to that on the Caps.

Washington on the road, facing elimination against the full Pen's roster sans Letang, with Sullivan getting the last line change, and still with that huge monkey on their backs...

If you went by history, the Pens have them right where they want them. Even with game 7 in DC, it's a toss up, Caps won't blow them out, I can see the Pens winning, Caps are just as likely to choke as they are to dominate. I think Game 7, pressure is on the Caps, in 12 years, TWELVE YEARS! Ovie hasn't made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs, 3 times with Presidents Cup teams.

If you went by history, the Pens have them right where they want them. Even with game 7 in DC, it's a toss up, Caps won't blow them out, I can see the Pens winning, Caps are just as likely to choke as they are to dominate. I think Game 7, pressure is on the Caps, in 12 years, TWELVE YEARS! Ovie hasn't made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs, 3 times with Presidents Cup teams.
I'd like to agree, and my heart does, but my eyes watched game 6 and my brain didn't like what I saw.
The Pen's D is totally over matched, they are just as likely to turn the puck over within feet of Fluery as clear the zone, even by icing the puck.
The Pen's O can't gain the blue line, and when they do, the Caps stand them up and their visits there are short lived.
The mixing of lines last night was a disaster. Just didn't work.
Someone mentioned Malkin may have a hand injury because he's having a lot of trouble controlling and passing the puck. He has been particularly ineffective.
Fluery is seeing way too many quality shots, while Holtby is back there doing his nails.
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Caps seem to be rolling now. The Pens best chance was the late tie/OT loss in game 3. Had they got by that one, they may have pulled it off, but seems the horse is out of the barn now, and he's going to be real hard to put back!

Not really. They won last year. They are playing without their elite Defenseman. The core of this group won in 2009. I mean their legacies are pretty much set.

The pressure is on the Caps now. They earned that right......but like I said, even an avid fanboy like me (and trust me the Pens are by far my favorite sports team) had the Caps picked not just before this series, but before the season.

I am just worried if the Pens pull this off, they will have anything left. It is only half way. Though it would seem like the downhill half. As far as the Caps go, if they win tomorrow night, they are going to be rocketed with confidence and I wouldn't be surprised that they steamroll to the Cup.

I'd like to agree, and my heart does, but my eyes watched game 6 and my brain didn't like what I saw.
The Pen's D is totally over matched, they are just as likely to turn the puck over within feet of Fluery as clear the zone, even by icing the puck.
The Pen's O can't gain the blue line, and when they do, the Caps stand them up and their visits there are short lived.
The mixing of lines last night was a disaster. Just didn't work.
Someone mentioned Malkin may have a hand injury because he's having a lot of trouble controlling and passing the puck. He has been particularly ineffective.
Fluery is seeing way too many quality shots, while Holtby is back there doing his nails.
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Caps seem to be rolling now. The Pens best chance was the late tie/OT loss in game 3. Had they got by that one, they may have pulled it off, but seems the horse is out of the barn now, and he's going to be real hard to put back!

A week ago they had beaten them 3 of 4, so how is it now impossible? It's the same players, maybe they are beaten up, but IMO it's still a toss up. A lot of those shots last night by the Caps where perfect, could be tomorrow it goes the other way. If Pens can get a lead, it could get in the Caps heads, they are used to choking right here every playoff year. Maybe Caps are a better team this year. But being better has nothing to do with winning a championship.

A week ago they had beaten them 3 of 4, so how is it now impossible? It's the same players, maybe they are beaten up, but IMO it's still a toss up. A lot of those shots last night by the Caps where perfect, could be tomorrow it goes the other way. If Pens can get a lead, it could get in the Caps heads, they are used to choking right here every playoff year. Maybe Caps are a better team this year. But being better has nothing to do with winning a championship.
Not really the same players, though. Daley being out is a big sting to the D corps, which was already killed by losing Letang. Plus, it is pretty clear Malkin is hurt.

It is going to be a tall task to win in Washington on Wednesday. Fleury will probably have to be great to have a chance. Hopefully at least Rangers-Sens goes 7, too, so, if the Pens do find a way to win, they at least get an extra day of rest.

Not really the same players, though. Daley being out is a big sting to the D corps, which was already killed by losing Letang. Plus, it is pretty clear Malkin is hurt.

It is going to be a tall task to win in Washington on Wednesday. Fleury will probably have to be great to have a chance. Hopefully at least Rangers-Sens goes 7, too, so, if the Pens do find a way to win, they at least get an extra day of rest.
I still think it's a 50/50 game. Hockey is a game of inches, even last night, those shots on Fluery where pin point accurate, a couple inches above the shoulder/inches below the cross bar. If they can get a goal or two and keep it close, get in the Caps heads, they can do it. And I don't care about Rangers/Sens until we win.

I still think it's a 50/50 game. Hockey is a game of inches, even last night, those shots on Fluery where pin point accurate, a couple inches above the shoulder/inches below the cross bar. If they can get a goal or two and keep it close, get in the Caps heads, they can do it. And I don't care about Rangers/Sens until we win.
Of course it COULD happen. No one knows how the bounces will go, and that is the mystique of a game 7. However, the past 4 periods of hockey the Caps have dominated the Pens in every facet of the game. The early part of this series is meaningless now, you need to win 4 to advance and game 7 decides that.
It is clear that the Pens are on the ropes, beat up, short handed, and the Caps have them confused.
Right now, it isn't so much about getting a lead for the Pens, but just gaining the zone and getting quality shots on goal. Even the power play looks pretty weak.

Crosby was off last night, the big hits and smashing into the boards clearly rattled him. He was jousting and taking the bait and that's not his game. Malkin has to be playing hurt, there is no other explanation for his poor play.

As someone noted above, the D corps is pretty over matched, it is way too easy for Washington right now.

Can they right the ship and pull out a win, of course they could. I hope they do, not ready to focus on the Pirates yet for obvious reasons, but I'm prepared for another stinker tomorrow night. I'll gladly eat crow if they win, but right now, I just don't see it.

Whatever, hopefully they make a game of it. Maybe pull an upset. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they somehow pulled it out. Hope they win, last time I watched a regular season Pirates game on TV had to be before 1992! I hate baseball that bad. I'd like a couple more weeks of hockey, but if not, oh well, I can watch soccer and or arena football.

They've made the conference finals what 5-6 times with him? 3 Stanley cups appearances and 2 wins with him doing heavy lifting (until this year) all season long
He's got an impressive list of accomplishments and pretty much all of the team records. Most people know what he is, a very good starting goalie, not numbers at the very top of the league but really solid numbers consistently for many years. But there's a small but vocal portion of the fan base that just ruthlessly rips into the guy non-stop and wants to blame every little thing that goes wrong on him, similar to the fans who want to blame everything on the qb in football. He's done far, far more good for the penguins than bad in his career.

Underappreciated that's for sure.
Probably a better word for it actually. It's really only a portion of the fan base that makes it sound like he's the worst goalie to ever play, and really theirs, mine, and any other fan's opinion isn't really all that meaningful.

Mike Diaz, that's my new pick. dude had the coolest poster ever, was nicknamed Rambo. Check out his stats? 28 home runs in 3 years, that's his HR total. You don't get a poster like this with those stats.. He is the most over rated Pittsburgh athlete ever.

mike_diaz_rambo_poster.jpg

he's leading the playoffs in points and has won every major trophy a hockey player can win, no worse than the 3rd best player post lockout

it's still fleury until they win the cup
Which has nothing to do with how poorly he played most of the capitals series.

You continue to be dumb on this. Why is it binary on Fleury but nobody else on the roster?

Which has nothing to do with how poorly he played most of the capitals series.

You continue to be dumb on this. Why is it binary on Fleury but nobody else on the roster?

he did not play poorly and he is leading the league in playoff points as he has been since the first series, idiot

you continue to ride fleury's jock, who as i predicted ended up being the weak link and is on the bench where he belongs as the pens advance

he did not play poorly and he is leading the league in playoff points as he has been since the first series, idiot

you continue to ride fleury's jock, who as i predicted ended up being the weak link and is on the bench where he belongs as the pens advance

Ah. The joke is back. Silent for all those games when Fleury played well. Not shocked.

Ah. The joke is back. Silent for all those games when Fleury played well. Not shocked.

i don't live on forums like you do and i was not silent, i said fleury had been their playoff mvp at that point

and how am i the joke when i was proven right, in the end fleury was proven to be the weak link

the joke is you being such a fanboy you can't even see it while he sits the bench LOL

Mike Diaz, that's my new pick. dude had the coolest poster ever, was nicknamed Rambo. Check out his stats? 28 home runs in 3 years, that's his HR total. You don't get a poster like this with those stats.. He is the most over rated Pittsburgh athlete ever.

mike_diaz_rambo_poster.jpg
He's not overrated to me! He can't be overrated if you can't remember him?

I guess, I barely do remember him, but not as someone any good? What position did he play?

He's not overrated to me! He can't be overrated if you can't remember him?

I guess, I barely do remember him, but not as someone any good? What position did he play?
from the guy that has not watched a baseball game since 1992...got it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT