ADVERTISEMENT

“ Come clean!!!”

JDs package was bigger and longer .

What does that have to do with Stallings? Dixon was a first class coach and a winner. Stallings is lucky to be coaching at all. Maybe he should go on to his life's work....coaching middle school basketball.

Yes. I thought you had to give Stallings a chance. Some on here weren't willing to do that. But now we have seen that chance, we see down Fifth Ave how another 1st year coach is transforming his team in an equally difficult situation with good success.

Pitt is hopeless right now.

Some of us knew this a year ago when your head was still buried in the sand.

Best thing for Pitt would be if Stallings punches a player. And that is possible.

One thing is for certain. Pitt is among the best in the world at taking a good thing and ruining it.

Some of us knew this a year ago when your head was still buried in the sand.
1)it’s a lot easier to rebuild a team in the A10 .
2) maybe 5% of the people who follow Pitt bb weren’t upset by the hire .
3) the contract the geniuses gave KS has handcuffed Pitt from acting
4) the amount of national negativity Pitt has received is warranted , but not very helpful in recruiting
5) expecting better results from this roster is just plain nonsense
6) pining for the guys who transferred is just plain nonsense
7) there’s no coach riding in on a white horse to the rescue
So some of us think that knowing Pitt won’t act are willing to see how this play outs and unless something unexpected happens there’s two more yrs of the KS experiment , doesn’t mean any of us like it it just means we’re in touch with the reality that exists at Pitt currently .

I think Gallagher just got played by Barnes and Barnes didn't give a shit as he tried to get out of town. They didn't really save money with Stallings, so that excuse doesn't fly.
If Gallagher got played that easily, he's as big of an egghead as his predecessor!

To be fair, if the ADs entire purpose is to get his cronyism hire made before he bolts, then he likely told Gallagher whatever he needed to convince him. Gallagher should have seen the problem. Or someone else should have alerted him, but when you have no Pitt alums on your leadership team, but several PSU alums, this type of thing is more likely to happen. In other words, the success of Pitt basketball is not important enough to the administration as it is to the fans who have supported the program. So they didn't care enough to give due diligence to the hiring process. This won't change. Ever. Shame.

Reactions: Pitt MD
I don't think we have to hire a Big Name Coach...we just need to hire...well...someone who can COACH! I brought up when Ben was hired and follow that by Dixon. They got us to where we were. It may not happen over night, but it was evident after Ben's first year that he had us on the right track.

I just want someone with a proven track record and who has a high energy recruiter on staff. If the team shows improvement, people will come back. If it continues to build, we will fill the Pete up again.

However, maybe it was Herman Munsters grand plan to wreck basketball to the point where we can level the Pete and build an on campus stadium again :)

To be fair, if the ADs entire purpose is to get his cronyism hire made before he bolts, then he likely told Gallagher whatever he needed to convince him. Gallagher should have seen the problem. Or someone else should have alerted him, but when you have no Pitt alums on your leadership team, but several PSU alums, this type of thing is more likely to happen. In other words, the success of Pitt basketball is not important enough to the administration as it is to the fans who have supported the program. So they didn't care enough to give due diligence to the hiring process. This won't change. Ever. Shame.
This will never happen, but would have been nice to have DW as some sort of Athletic Advisor on staff. No one loved Pitt more than he did (not sure if he still does). But other than Dave, there should be someone as a consultant who played for Pitt and Loves Pitt that would serve as an advisor role to prevent stupid decisions. (or at least point them out)

This will never happen, but would have been nice to have DW as some sort of Athletic Advisor on staff. No one loved Pitt more than he did (not sure if he still does). But other than Dave, there should be someone as a consultant who played for Pitt and Loves Pitt that would serve as an advisor role to prevent stupid decisions. (or at least point them out)
Yea, there's no sense that there are any checks in balances in the Pitt admin. against the prospect of really bad decisions being made as regards athletics. The BOT's and their so called athletics committee are seemingly useless ... bunch of guys who rubber stamp whatever the admin. proposes.

I dont think you can absolve Galagher in this Stallings hire. You'd have to have been beamed down from Mars not to know that was a horrible hire after JD left/was pushed out or whatever you want to call it.

Thank you. Where were other Pitt people, Pitt people in leadership roles, someone, ANYONE, stepping up to Gallegher (both of them) and saying "WHOA", we need to think about this, who are replacing Jamie with, why and why the need for a 6 year contract? Why is he looking to leave Vanderbilt? I am not sure, but I am guessing these conversations did not happen. And yes, having these BOT's and Leadership committees filled with non alums, and especially graduates of supposed rival schools? You think PSU and WVU would have a board full of Pitt grads??

The hire is so bad the AD who made it ran at first chance...there either no thought process at all or so little Barnes should have been fired immediately rehired and fired again ....

I don’t understand why anyone would take on the exhausting mental gymnastics to try and defend something so obviously indefensible.... it’s beyond stupidity...

It doesn’t work and every national sports writer who ripped this move initially has been proven entirely correct... it’s a disaster and it didn’t need to happen...
Barnes has a buddy sports agent he owed and the sports agent had to unload Stallings, that’s what happened!!!! No mistery!! Now Gallagher hired Barnes plus let him hire Stallings. They are equally to blame for this debacle. Pitt basketball is DONE!!!!

Barnes has a buddy sports agent he owed and the sports agent had to unload Stallings, that’s what happened!!!! No mistery!! Now Gallagher hired Barnes plus let him hire Stallings. They are equally to blame for this debacle. Pitt basketball is DONE!!!!

Pitt should fire Stallings, then put together a lawsuit with them all as targets. I doubt they will want their names dragged through the mud. Settle with a much smaller buyout.

Pitt should fire Stallings, then put together a lawsuit with them all as targets. I doubt they will want their names dragged through the mud. Settle with a much smaller buyout.
I think the best action would be for Lyke to extend Stallings (with a handsome raise) for 2 seasons. This would end all the negative recruiting taking place against Pitt and demonstrate that everyone is totally supportive of Stallings and his attempts to execute what all recognized to be a majorest of major rebuilds.:p

Last edited:
I think the best action would be for Lyke to extend Stallings (with a handsome raise) for 2 seasons. This would end all the negative recruiting taking place against Pitt and demonstrate that everyone is totally supportive of Stallings and his attempts to execute what all recognized to be a majorest of major rebuilds.:p
And as a side bonus this board would make for great reading the next few seasons!:D

Reactions: gary2
So you think a new coach will come in and fans will open up their pocket books to buy season tickets by the thousands . It will take years for Pitt to rebuild its fan base and there’s not a coach out there that’s coming to Pitt whose going to bring in enough talent to turn this program around quickly unless he’s dirty . Pitts been lossing revenue in basketball for awhile now and expecting this to instantly change with a new coach just isn’t going to happen . Pitt filled the Pete by consistently being one of the best teams in the BE something that will never happen in the ACC if they run a clean program .
So why delay the ending you've admitted?? Stop digging, the hole is already too deep!!

Last edited:
And as a side bonus this board would make for great reading the next few seasons!:D

If they really want to torture terrorists to make them tell all, force them to read the Pitt Rivals football and basketball free boards?

"its five o' clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Reactions: gary2
The big money, big mouth boosters that have the money to move the needle, wanted Dixon gone and didn't object when Stallings was hired. Apparently, they still aren't objecting. That's who's running the show, and they're imbeciles.

What are their names and business names?

I will say the pundit atmosphere on this may be what annoys me the most. We didn't all pound on Barnes front door and demand him to run JD out of town so we could hire Kevin Stallings.

Yup.

There are two prevailing narratives. One is that Pitt fans are spoiled brats who ran off Dixon and deserve this mess. The other narrative, sometimes from the same people, is that it's not a mess, Stallings is a respected top coach, and Pitt fans are the root cause of any uncharacteristic slump.

Fan-dumping benefits all sides. The media protects administrations and coaches, thereby protecting it's access to said people. On top of that, attacking a fan base drives up the hate clicks, so it's more profitable than giving an honest account of what's going on.

But the worst of it are the fans themselves who buy this sh!t. The give-him-a-chance folks who ignore that fact that NOBODY IS GIVING YOU A CHANCE.

It's like people who vote against their own interests based on nonsense. Dont ya hate those people? Well, that's many of you with respect to Pitt sports.

What are their names and business names?

I gave one prominent name but the post was deleted. Apparently it hit too close to home and certain people don't want the culprits revealed. God forbid the truth comes out.

It's unfortunate that Pitt basketball has turned into something that isn't entertaining any longer in more ways than one. Between the incompetent coach we have running the program into the sewer and the boosters and administration that don't have a clue, there really isn't much hope.

Last edited:
True, I’d hate the idea of missing out on the prospect of maybe a couple conference wins next year/
No way a new coach can replicate that kind of performance.

He can't if the players in the program with promise bail out and he's forced to recruit 6+ newcomers.

He can't if the players in the program with promise bail out and he's forced to recruit 6+ newcomers.
Good luck to them. None of them are must stays. Only 1 looks to be a clear contributor and 2 have potential, but were terrible this season.

Good luck to them. None of them are must stays. Only 1 looks to be a clear contributor and 2 have potential, but were terrible this season.

You're assuming that between April 1 and August 1, with the 2018-2019 recruiting window rapidly closing, that a new coach can bring in six or seven guys BETTER than the ones we have. Even if I agree with your premise and accept the idea that losing our freshmen is, in fact, no loss, I don't accept the idea that a flash recruiting effort that starts in April will net us better recruits. Nearly all of the top 100 are already signed. Most of the top JUCO players, too, and every P5 has been watching the coming crop of grad transfers for months. We're more likely to lose a Ryan Luther than we are to pickup a grad transfer his equal or better. ... Most grad transfers are looking for greener pastures, places to go where they can have a bigger impact or go dancing. There's not much hope of that happening here next year, regardless of who's sitting in the HC's chair.

You're assuming that between April 1 and August 1, with the 2018-2019 recruiting window rapidly closing, that a new coach can bring in six or seven guys BETTER than the ones we have. Even if I agree with your premise and accept the idea that losing our freshmen is, in fact, no loss, I don't accept the idea that a flash recruiting effort that starts in April will net us better recruits. Nearly all of the top 100 are already signed. Most of the top JUCO players, too, and every P5 has been watching the coming crop of grad transfers for months. We're more likely to lose a Ryan Luther than we are to pickup a grad transfer his equal or better. ... Most grad transfers are looking for greener pastures, places to go where they can have a bigger impact or go dancing. There's not much hope of that happening here next year, regardless of who's sitting in the HC's chair.

Many posters on this board believe a new coach comes with at least 2 recruits in hand, possibly poaching them from his old school. He then hires 2 assistants that each have 2 recruits in their back pockets that they can bring to whatever school they move on to.

Presto - 6 top notch recruits - Probably a top 50, 2 top 100 and 3 others 100 to 200.

That is how easy it is (or some believe it is)

So you think a new coach will come in and fans will open up their pocket books to buy season tickets by the thousands . It will take years for Pitt to rebuild its fan base and there’s not a coach out there that’s coming to Pitt whose going to bring in enough talent to turn this program around quickly unless he’s dirty . Pitts been lossing revenue in basketball for awhile now and expecting this to instantly change with a new coach just isn’t going to happen . Pitt filled the Pete by consistently being one of the best teams in the BE something that will never happen in the ACC if they run a clean program .
A Matta hire would bring back 5,000 that left this year.

A Matta hire would bring back 5,000 that left this year.

This is delusional. I love basketball. Love, love, love it. Watch a game pretty much 7 nights a week, often 2 games. Never, ever in my life have I ever gone to a game, or turned one on TV, to watch a coach. I watch players and teams.

Fans will return to The Pete when Pitt starts winning again. Period. End of discussion.

Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT