ADVERTISEMENT

08-09 pitt team vs this years Kentucky team

jging676

Prep
Dec 14, 2013
Earlier today, I seen a tweet that said a Las Vegas bookmaker would have the 1991 UNLV teams favored by 6 against Kentucky this year. It got me thinking how Pitt's best team would matchup against Kentucky this year. I think the best Pitt team of this era is the 2008-09 team. What do you guys think the spread would be if they played this years Kentucky team on a neutral court? I'd probably say that Vegas would have Kentucky favored by 4 or 5 points, but I think that Pitt team could really give them a game. Thoughts?

Pitt +4

And Pitt would beat them at least 4 of 10 games. I'm not even sure this UK team would be favored against the team with Davis that won the title, or the team with Wall and Cousins that WVU beat in the Elite 8.

It's a good question though, if you take say the last 16 national title teams, assuming UK wins, how would you seed the last 16 title winners?

UK if they go unbeaten would probably be the 1 seed, but I would think other teams would be favored. Duke 2001, UNC 2005 were really good. I'd love to see a veteran team like Florida with Noah/brewer take on the young UK team.

Uconn 2014 is def the 16 seed.

Funny, I hated Noah on those Florida squads but I love him as a Bull.

I definitely think the team with Davis and Kid Gilchrist would beat this year's team. And the 2003 UCONN squad was really good. That game against Duke is one of my favorite tournament games I've seen.

I think UK is in cruise control, and is going to crank it up in the tourney.

The guy quoted for this is Bob Scucci, who I know relatively well, and he is pretty much an asshat these days. He was once a respected bookmaker and now reduced to cowering in his boots when accepting a bet from anyone who remotely has a clue. He has not set a pointspread on his own in about 15 years.

agree 100%......

We've seen this movie before. I recall a lot of those same criticisms last March.

They will mean business now. If you don't pencil them into the championship game, your bracket is worthless.

The tournament will bring out the competitor in all of those thoroughbred future multi-millionaires UK rolls out. when they want to win, nobody can touch them. Nobody else can touch their talent level.

I see Wisconsin as being the worst potential #2 seed for Kentucky. They would match up with them as well as anyone.

This tournament still isn't an absolute slam dunk for KY. Most places now have them as even vs the field at -120.

Re: Pitt +4

Any single elimination tournament can result in just about any team losing somewhere along the line. KY has assembled a roster that could probably make the NBA playoffs in a few years.

But, is our '08/'09 team achieving mythical status in the eyes of our fans?

We didn't beat an undersized Nova squad or make the Final Four let alone win a title. We didn't have the horses to stay with Kentucky's thoroughbreds. Yeah, maybe we might have had a puncher's chance if the refs allowed Blair to treat Cauley and Towns like he did Thabeet, but, arguably, both the Kentucky bigs are BETTER today than Thabeet ever was.

I'm not saying we could NEVER beat them, but 4 out of 10 is awfully optimistic.

Re: agree 100%......

Originally posted by thebadby2:
We've seen this movie before. I recall a lot of those same criticisms last March.

They will mean business now. If you don't pencil them into the championship game, your bracket is worthless.

The tournament will bring out the competitor in all of those thoroughbred future multi-millionaires UK rolls out. when they want to win, nobody can touch them. Nobody else can touch their talent level.
you don't think Virginia can beat them? I definitely do, in a national semifinal game.

Re: agree 100%......

Could UVA, without its best offensive player, beat UK in a Final Four game?

I suppose anything could happen in any college basketball game, but the odds would be heavily against that.

In single elimination tournament play, there comes a point where you have to be able to find a way to score-great D isn't enough. I think if UK decided to clamp down defensively on UVA, UVA would be unable to score. I don't think the reverse is true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT