ADVERTISEMENT

10th coach

By following the team and college football. Who were the top 3 recruiters on staff last year? I could see someone making a case for Powell as the 3rd best, but that is about it.

Well Narduzzi is clearly #1. Judging from social media and these sites, I'd say Harley has had more impact than Peterson. I agree that Partridge is proven and has shown results in landing Marquis Williams this year. It would suck to lose him. I don't know that Hill did much at all. He did help land Hamlin, but I think that Narduzzi and being in Pitt's backyard were as much if not more of a factor. Since then I haven't heard much. Collins was recognized for his efforts at a MAC school. Now that he is selling an ACC school he as at worst a push, and likely an improvement for recruiting.

But that is all second hand info, which it sounds like you have too. Unless you have sat in on the process as a parent or a coach, of course.

Well Narduzzi is clearly #1. Judging from social media and these sites, I'd say Harley has had more impact than Peterson. I agree that Partridge is proven and has shown results in landing Marquis Williams this year. It would suck to lose him. I don't know that Hill did much at all. He did help land Hamlin, but I think that Narduzzi and being in Pitt's backyard were as much if not more of a factor. Since then I haven't heard much. Collins was recognized for his efforts at a MAC school. Now that he is selling an ACC school he as at worst a push, and likely an improvement for recruiting.

But that is all second hand info, which it sounds like you have too. Unless you have sat in on the process as a parent or a coach, of course.
So, Narduzzi doesn't count, obviously, but if he did, you'd have to consider him slightly above average, at best. Peterson was a proven top recruiter at Ohio State. Partridge is well known as a great recruiter. Hill was certainly one of our best.

Why would Collins be "at worst a push and likely an improvement for recruiting"? He could be a push, but there is nothing we have now to support that. His "MAC recruiter of the year" recognition was based on him signing 2 stars, with essentially 0 other options, in the midst of a coaching change. He hasn't ever won a big time battle and is mostly responsible for getting mid to low level MAC recruits over mid to low level MAC schools, if that.

However, if we continue to waste time in Michigan it won't matter much at all who is recruiting there. We won't get anything of high value and will waste lots of time and money.

Reactions: cashisking884
So, Narduzzi doesn't count, obviously, but if he did, you'd have to consider him slightly above average, at best. Peterson was a proven top recruiter at Ohio State. Partridge is well known as a great recruiter. Hill was certainly one of our best.

Why would Collins be "at worst a push and likely an improvement for recruiting"? He could be a push, but there is nothing we have now to support that. His "MAC recruiter of the year" recognition was based on him signing 2 stars, with essentially 0 other options, in the midst of a coaching change. He hasn't ever won a big time battle and is mostly responsible for getting mid to low level MAC recruits over mid to low level MAC schools, if that.

However, if we continue to waste time in Michigan it won't matter much at all who is recruiting there. We won't get anything of high value and will waste lots of time and money.
Who did Hill land as the recruit’s primary recruiter? Narduzzi was the point man on Hamlin. Mike Farrell said Borberly was a very good hire for us. He is the head of rivals and the star system you value so much.

Who did Hill land as the recruit’s primary recruiter? Narduzzi was the point man on Hamlin. Mike Farrell said Borberly was a very good hire for us. He is the head of rivals and the star system you value so much.
I've been over this with you already.

I never said Borberly was a bad hire. I've said he was an off field assistant and passed over twice for OL coach job, who is not known as a top recruiter. I think he is a solid hire, but he isn't a top recruiter.

I've been over this with you already.

I never said Borberly was a bad hire. I've said he was an off field assistant and passed over twice for OL coach job, who is not known as a top recruiter. I think he is a solid hire, but he isn't a top recruiter.
Mike Farrell disagrees. The man in charge of the star system.

What did he disagree with?

Mike Farrell is not "in charge of the star system".
National Recruiting Director for Rivals.com and the Godfather of Recruiting.

Dave Borbely, Pitt (offensive line)
A veteran coach with an impressive resume, comes to the Panthers after a two-year stint at Maryland. But the move to Pitt is far from his first stint in the ACC, as Borbely has previously worked at Virginia, where he helped develop 2009 first-round NFL Draft pick Eugene Monroe. Borbely has also worked at Notre Dame, Louisville, Stanfordand Colorado, among other stops.

Farrell’s Take: “Borbely is well-known as an offensive line coach who has been around for more than three decades and has developed linemen at numerous programs. He’s known as a great teacher, a good talent evaluator and a no-nonsense recruiter.”

Hill was certainly one of our best.

Why would Collins be "at worst a push and likely an improvement for recruiting"?

Collins produced for that level. The ability to communicate and build relationships translates. I think he will be at worst a push, because he is already starting off with more chops than Hill. Now that I answered your question, please tell me why all the hand wringing over losing Hill and how he was one of our best recruiters, because I'm not convinced that Hill set the bar that high.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

A veteran coach with an impressive resume, comes to the Panthers after a two-year stint at Maryland. But the move to Pitt is far from his first stint in the ACC, as Borbely has previously worked at Virginia, where he helped develop 2009 first-round NFL Draft pick Eugene Monroe. Borbely has also worked at Notre Dame, Louisville, Stanfordand Colorado, among other stops.

Farrell’s Take: “Borbely is well-known as an offensive line coach who has been around for more than three decades and has developed linemen at numerous programs. He’s known as a great teacher, a good talent evaluator and a no-nonsense recruiter.”
That doesn't "disagree" with what I said. If anything, it agrees with what I said. He isn't known as a top recruiter.

Collins produced for that level. The ability to communicate and build relationships translates. I think he will be at worst a push, because he is already starting off with more chops than Hill. Now that I answered your question, please tell me why all the hand wringing over losing Hill and how he was one of our best recruiters, because I'm not convinced that Hill set the bar that high.
Is Collins "starting off" better than Hill when Hill started? Well, sure, but this is 3 years down the line and HCPN apparently got additional support for the staff, not the same as 3 years ago.

He didn't really produce much at that level, either. Go look at his recruits. He wasn't even beating the teams at the top of G5. Most of his top commits had few or 0 other offers. He was getting low level G5 players with practically no other options. That year he was "MAC recruiter of the year" none of his guys had decent options. He got one "big time" recruit, who had no chance to be eligible and had to go to CC. When he was re-recruited he signed with Ball State, instead of CMU. The other "highly touted" recruit he got in that class had only a CMU offer. So, while Scout said he was "MAC Recruiter of the Year" his recruits that signed combined to have 2 total offers from other schools. One recruit had a Ball State offer. Another had an Eastern Michigan offer.

I haven't been hand wringing over losing Hill. I think Collins is an acceptable replacement for Hill. However, when our staff was already below par (especially in terms of recruiting) we can't, at best, get a push and add nothing but an inexperienced extra assistant. I don't think anyone would doubt Peterson is thought of as a much better recruiter than Borberly, but give the nod to Borberly in coaching. Let's call Collins and Bates a push in recruiting and a downgrade in coaching experience. What do we lean on to expect our staff is better? Obviously, if we also lost Partridge that would have been a huge blow and was what I was referencing in the post that started this exchange.

Reactions: cashisking884

No offense, but nothing in that quote supports your argument of Borbely being even a good recruiter. If I was a recruiter, the last adjective I'd want to describe my style is no freaking nonsense.

I’m not sure when Renaldo Hill became this world beater as a recruiter.

His territory was Detroit and he couldn’t land a single recruit.

He was NOT the lead on our DB recruits.

Borberly I’m luke warm with.

The DB coach I think will be an upgrade as far as recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT