ADVERTISEMENT

2 Dick's

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Had to go to 2 different Dick's last night because the one didn't have what I was looking for so I thought it would be fun to do a case study on Pitt/Penn State clothing options.

These are the combined results of men's/women's/kids

South Hills Village:
9 racks Pitt
4 racks PSU
Both Pitt and PSU had an equal fairly large wall display area

Washington
2 racks Pitt
2 racks WVU
0 racks PSU
0 wall displays

Several combined racks of Pitt/PSU/WVU. Seemed to be pretty equal Pitt/WVU in those racks with less PSU.

Also, the Washington store still had this 1990s big back TVs. I haven't seen one of those in 10 years or more. Couldn't believe that.

At SHV, there was a 6'3 or so black kid who looked to be of college age with a Toledo basketball shirt on which is a very rare thing to see in these parts which makes me wonder if he was on the team.

At Washington, there was a white guy in the 6'5 300 range in his 20s looking at WVU stuff. Heard his friend say something like "You're the one who went to WVU." I'm guessing its a former player.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty sad. We came back home for a week and stopped in Robinson to pick up some Pirates shirts on our way to the ballpark. The Dick's there was 50/50 Pitt/Penn State and the Pro Image Sports store in the mall was literally all Penn State and Notre Dame. They had two Pitt hat racks and a rack of Pitt shirts in the way back. And here I thought we were in Pittsburgh! :confused:

Also why is there no break down of Dyno Cat merchandise versus Script

If you are going to a study on this kind of stuff at least put some relevant info in there for us to digest

Screw Dicks they are a bunch of dicks and I would never buy anything from them.

Screw Dicks they are a bunch of dicks and I would never buy anything from them.
All puns aside - I haven’t been in my local Dicks in 10 years or more. After a dozen visits where the staff acted like it was an imposition for me to want to buy something from them, I just stopped. I have lots of other local options.

TJ Maxx gets a lot of Pitt stuff. Not sure where they get it from though.

Went to the new Top Golf place in South Fayette yesterday and they had a clothing rack of different colorful socks. They had psux socks but no PITT socks. Told the clerk that I would not visit again until they carried PITT socks. She said that she would make a note and let management know.

We shall see. I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
Go to a local store, any store, look at the College FB preview mags, I understand no Pitt guys on cover, but it is always PSU and Big 10 based.

Went to the new Top Golf place in South Fayette yesterday and they had a clothing rack of different colorful socks. They had psux socks but no PITT socks. Told the clerk that I would not visit again until they carried PITT socks. She said that she would make a note and let management know.

Were they blue and white socks or did they actually have a Penn State logo on them?

Go to a local store, any store, look at the College FB preview mags, I understand no Pitt guys on cover, but it is always PSU and Big 10 based.

But it's even worse than that. I saw a copy of Phil Steele's mag in a local store. They had the Big Ten cover version, which had players from Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Iowa on it. The funny thing about that is that there is actually a Eastern version of the cover as well. It has players from Boston College, Virginia Tech, Penn State (McSorley) and the Hoopies (Grier) on it. Now if you were trying to figure out which cover you ought to sell in western PA, why on earth would you pick the one with players from Ohio State and Michigan instead of the one with players from Penn State and West Virginia?

Any Riverhounds gear?
This is a pro town. No one cares about the Riverhounds. They are no different than the Wild Things. And the Dicks in Washington doesn’t even carry Wild Things stuff. Tell you what I would like to see though, a Panther store at Victory Heights in the soccer/baseball/softball stadiums where one could buy Pitt soccer/baseball and Softball stuff.

This is a pro town. No one cares about the Riverhounds. They are no different than the Wild Things. And the Dicks in Washington doesn’t even carry Wild Things stuff. Tell you what I would like to see though, a Panther store at Victory Heights in the soccer/baseball/softball stadiums where one could buy Pitt soccer/baseball and Softball stuff.
Thomas, do you have any updates on when the master plan will be announced to the public? It was supposed to be released several months ago (going off the original timeline) but I figured it’d be pushed back when Lyke came in.

Good to know, I was supposed to go there on Friday with some friends and family. Now knowing that, they will not even get a penny from me. Looks like I need new plans for this weekend.

Had to go to 2 different Dick's last night because the one didn't have what I was looking for so I thought it would be fun to do a case study on Pitt/Penn State clothing options.

These are the combined results of men's/women's/kids

South Hills Village:
9 racks Pitt
4 racks PSU
Both Pitt and PSU had an equal fairly large wall display area

Washington
2 racks Pitt
2 racks WVU
0 racks PSU
0 wall displays

Several combined racks of Pitt/PSU/WVU. Seemed to be pretty equal Pitt/WVU in those racks with less PSU.

Also, the Washington store still had this 1990s big back TVs. I haven't seen one of those in 10 years or more. Couldn't believe that.

At SHV, there was a 6'3 or so black kid who looked to be of college age with a Toledo basketball shirt on which is a very rare thing to see in these parts which makes me wonder if he was on the team.

At Washington, there was a white guy in the 6'5 300 range in his 20s looking at WVU stuff. Heard his friend say something like "You're the one who went to WVU." I'm guessing its a former player.

and here I thought this was going to be the eternal, heated and never to be resolved debate of Sargent vs York...Always a York man myself...Kinda figured SMF swayed to the Sargent side of the equation...

Click Bait!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikefln
But it's even worse than that. I saw a copy of Phil Steele's mag in a local store. They had the Big Ten cover version, which had players from Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Iowa on it. The funny thing about that is that there is actually a Eastern version of the cover as well. It has players from Boston College, Virginia Tech, Penn State (McSorley) and the Hoopies (Grier) on it. Now if you were trying to figure out which cover you ought to sell in western PA, why on earth would you pick the one with players from Ohio State and Michigan instead of the one with players from Penn State and West Virginia?

I dunno, I have seen that kind of stuff before. For some reason, the magazine distributors think Pittsburgh is on Ohio. Because I also lived in Morgantown and then you would get the Eastern focused mag covers.

I dunno, I have seen that kind of stuff before. For some reason, the magazine distributors think Pittsburgh is on Ohio. Because I also lived in Morgantown and then you would get the Eastern focused mag covers.

All of Pennsylvania, including Pittsburgh is "Big Ten territory" for football. You see this also as ESPN gives WTAE the Big Ten game with the ACC game going on ESPN2.

Thomas, do you have any updates on when the master plan will be announced to the public? It was supposed to be released several months ago (going off the original timeline) but I figured it’d be pushed back when Lyke came in.
I don’t. My kid was being recruited by Pitt to play an Olympic sport. The plans were shared with us in the process. We were told that the plans aren’t a secret and are circulating around campus. My kid has since commited to another University and the dialog has stopped with us. I suspect we should hear something sometime this year. But that’s a guess. I wondering if the full time move to retro colors will be announced at the same time to generate enthusiasm. That’s a done deal.

All of Pennsylvania, including Pittsburgh is "Big Ten territory" for football. You see this also as ESPN gives WTAE the Big Ten game with the ACC game going on ESPN2.

Isn't Penn State in the Big Ten? If they aren't selling the magazine with the nitter on the cover in Pennsylvania then it makes literally no sense to even put a nitter on the cover.

I don’t. My kid was being recruited by Pitt to play an Olympic sport. The plans were shared with us in the process. We were told that the plans aren’t a secret and are circulating around campus. My kid has since commited to another University and the dialog has stopped with us. I suspect we should hear something sometime this year. But that’s a guess. I wondering if the full time move to retro colors will be announced at the same time to generate enthusiasm. That’s a done deal.
That’s awesome. Congratulations on their commitment.

That’s awesome. Congratulations on their commitment.
Thank you very much. It was an honor that they had the interest. My kid was lucky to be in that position. It was tough though. It just wasn’t the right fit at Pitt. Sometimes you just have to take off the blue and gold glasses. Big things are happening throughout the entire department though. Exciting times.

Isn't Penn State in the Big Ten? If they aren't selling the magazine with the nitter on the cover in Pennsylvania then it makes literally no sense to even put a nitter on the cover.

SWPA is Pitt territory though. Pitt is more popular in football and basketball. But I realize its easy for distributors and networks to just declare PA a B10 state

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT