ADVERTISEMENT

2nd half offensive adjustements

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
did we make adjustments that hurt us - would we have better to stick with what worked

I could be wrong, but it seemed to me we mostly ran the ball and threw very short passes in the 1st half - Pickett did not receive a ton of pressure from their defense.

It seemed to me that we changed gears and ran less (maybe because of an Ollison injury), the passes also seem slower to develop and UNC exerted more pressure with their pass rush.

This observation is from memory only. I have not gone back and reviewed the play by play.

If we are going to return kicks into the end zone, we need not to commit penalties. The same goes for punt returns. It is funny how holding out in the open is not called on running or passing plays, but is called repeatedly on kick returns.

One adjustment I would like to see is to put Town in for a quarter to see if he can do better, and get over that Pickett is the man thing

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
One adjustment I would like to see is to put Town in for a quarter to see if he can do better, and get over that Pickett is the man thing
This should have happened in mid 3rd qtr of the Pend State game. When there was still a game. No, I truthfully would not expect that he'd suddenly light things up where Pickett couldn't. He's less mobile so maybe even fares worse. But the passing game has degenerated to near nothing. I don't even care if Town was a 5 star, 4 star, or no star. He's the next guy up, and the first guy was helpless. You need to find out if a change can help. You owe it to the rest of the team, and yeah, the customers.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Article from the Tribune, makes me wonder what the hell were they previously doing at the half...

https://triblive.com/sports/college...book-coaches-keeping-players-busy-at-halftime

according to plans revealed Wednesday by offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

He said coaches have changed halftime procedures in the past two games, with more pictures of the first half and more details on a new plan of attack.

“We go in there with a plan,” Watson said, “and we usually have a second-half plan besides that and we tweak that based off of what we saw in the first half. The big thing is being able to get it articulated at halftime to the kids.

“We always put things up in pictures. We articulate those to the guys: This is what they’re doing. These are the blitzes that we saw. From that point, here’s how we’re going to attack them.

“It’s more detailed. We feel like we’re gaining on it.”

Last edited:
Pickett apprears to be moving toward the "I'm afraid to do stuff because I might make a mistake mode" which isnt a good place to be for a QB.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT