ADVERTISEMENT

3 Crystal Balls for Will Jeffress

Tony,

Big John has made huge improvements on his body from a year ago to last summer to right now. His prior stats including what he did in the EYBL (which was respectable) to where he is now is like night and day. He doesn't even look like the same player from last summer. This was taken last fall and his body is even better now. The fat is gone. He looks like a man now ready for the ACC and his game has elevated with his body transformation.

EE2qgJSX4AA4xbf

Longer term the idea is to get John at the 4 but probably not much as a freshmen. His body (weight) isnt the problem anymore nor his skills. Its his conditioning (stamina) to run up and down the floor for significant stretches to push his college minutes to 20 or more.

John is going to get a ranking bump in the new rankings. Every scout that has watched John at least once this season has acknowledge two things. John's body and mobility is greatly improved and his passing is substantially improved (Ive been talking about his passing for a while). So its not just me talking about his improvement.

His high school numbers are far better than any other player we have recruited going back a long time and that includes Mike Young. Hugley looks every bit the part of a Top 50 National 4 star player right now. He has dominated this senior season and domination isnt giving him enough praise. The fact he had 15 assists the other night and didnt attempt a single shot also shows you his character to win.

Terrell Brown is one of the worst passing big men in Pitt's history. Pitt has played 18 games this year and Brown has 2 total assists for the entire season. I am almost dumbfounded how that is even possible. Brown cannot pass or rebound at all. It cannot be defended. He isnt that good.

Minutes on this current team are there for the taking at every position next year. We are recruiting to bring more players in for 2020 and are not done.

Gerald Drumgoole has not performed. His offensive rating is worse than most walk-ons at Pitt in the last 10 years as he is hovering around 50. He is a freshmen with an injury, but he has performed so poorly (on both ends) he needs to really improve (show something) or he is going to get passed up. He has the potential but he isn't even performing on defense right now.

Im giving Coulibaly an incomplete because he is a 4 and has played very limited minutes but his + / - has been ok. Ive maintained Coulibaly works better in space and not in the low post since before the summer. He's not a center.

Max Amadasun continues to shine. Like Hugley, his stats are far better than anyone we have brought in the post in years and that includes Mike Young when Young played at St. Benedict's. And unlike most high school schedules, Amadasun is doing it against a Nationally Tough schedule against quality players. His stats are very good and his team is beating everyone else right now. He also has the athletic ability to help him early.

EOljpCSUEAADG3c

Terrell Brown is not guaranteed anything next season. He is averaging 3.3 rebounds per game and his rebound rates on offense and defense are both below 10 right now which is very bad for a center. He is so far below for just an average re bounder in the ACC.

I talked about how other players have cheated to the inside to help our team rebounding. Here's another thing. Look at how many offensive rebounds we give to the other team from missed free throws. We need a Center that can rebound.

And if Brown cant do it then Hugley / Amadasun plus possibly another center will get more than a fair chance to put Brown on the bench.

Jeff Capel has talked about it extensively about poor rebounding. Hamilton cant rebound consistently. He's been benched because of it this season. We have 2 new recruits cleaning up the glass in Hugley and Amadasun. There may be 1 more added.

As far as Will Jeffress and gauging how much he can help, its difficult to give that opinion because of the competition he has gone up against. He's posted 35+ and 40+ scoring games this year. But those teams would lose by 50 to a team to a team like Our Savior where Amadasun plays. The competition is poor. Jeffress really needs to clean up his handle and tighten up his ball control. Ive seen enough recently that he has become a better perimeter shooter, but he needs to show it against better competition and not just wide open 3's. Jeffress would help next year, but I cant fairly say how much I think he could help at the current time.
Yeah Pitt doesn't have the player depth nor convenience to think that any bigs they bring in aren't going to see some good minutes. They will.... how much. We shall see.
Ive hearing alot that it makes sense for Jeffress to not reclass.
But if he did reclass maybe redshirting seems like a reasonable suggestion.

JC and Toney might be "special" by next year. I think they would both be high 4 star recruits if they were seniors in high school this year,

If Champagnie's 3 develops he could go from good to special.

A guy whose special is special from day 1 , that’s not to say that a guy can’t come in and improve and become a special player .
I was lucky enough to see Billy Knight , Charles Smith , Brian Shorter and D Blair and you can put S Adams into that group too ( had he stayed ) and it didn’t take a rocket scientist to see their skills were at far higher level .

Thanks Vader I enjoy your comments. Another texter brings up a good point and that's do you know how tall Jeffress is because there are people saying different sizes. From what I seen and heard they were saying that he stands 6'8 so I was going with that.
Tony,

Big John has made huge improvements on his body from a year ago to last summer to right now. His prior stats including what he did in the EYBL (which was respectable) to where he is now is like night and day. He doesn't even look like the same player from last summer. This was taken last fall and his body is even better now. The fat is gone. He looks like a man now ready for the ACC and his game has elevated with his body transformation.

EE2qgJSX4AA4xbf

Longer term the idea is to get John at the 4 but probably not much as a freshmen. His body (weight) isnt the problem anymore nor his skills. Its his conditioning (stamina) to run up and down the floor for significant stretches to push his college minutes to 20 or more.

John is going to get a ranking bump in the new rankings. Every scout that has watched John at least once this season has acknowledge two things. John's body and mobility is greatly improved and his passing is substantially improved (Ive been talking about his passing for a while). So its not just me talking about his improvement.

His high school numbers are far better than any other player we have recruited going back a long time and that includes Mike Young. Hugley looks every bit the part of a Top 50 National 4 star player right now. He has dominated this senior season and domination isnt giving him enough praise. The fact he had 15 assists the other night and didnt attempt a single shot also shows you his character to win.

Terrell Brown is one of the worst passing big men in Pitt's history. Pitt has played 18 games this year and Brown has 2 total assists for the entire season. I am almost dumbfounded how that is even possible. Brown cannot pass or rebound at all. It cannot be defended. He isnt that good.

Minutes on this current team are there for the taking at every position next year. We are recruiting to bring more players in for 2020 and are not done.

Gerald Drumgoole has not performed. His offensive rating is worse than most walk-ons at Pitt in the last 10 years as he is hovering around 50. He is a freshmen with an injury, but he has performed so poorly (on both ends) he needs to really improve (show something) or he is going to get passed up. He has the potential but he isn't even performing on defense right now.

Im giving Coulibaly an incomplete because he is a 4 and has played very limited minutes but his + / - has been ok. Ive maintained Coulibaly works better in space and not in the low post since before the summer. He's not a center.

Max Amadasun continues to shine. Like Hugley, his stats are far better than anyone we have brought in the post in years and that includes Mike Young when Young played at St. Benedict's. And unlike most high school schedules, Amadasun is doing it against a Nationally Tough schedule against quality players. His stats are very good and his team is beating everyone else right now. He also has the athletic ability to help him early.

EOljpCSUEAADG3c

Terrell Brown is not guaranteed anything next season. He is averaging 3.3 rebounds per game and his rebound rates on offense and defense are both below 10 right now which is very bad for a center. He is so far below for just an average re bounder in the ACC.

I talked about how other players have cheated to the inside to help our team rebounding. Here's another thing. Look at how many offensive rebounds we give to the other team from missed free throws. We need a Center that can rebound.

And if Brown cant do it then Hugley / Amadasun plus possibly another center will get more than a fair chance to put Brown on the bench.

Jeff Capel has talked about it extensively about poor rebounding. Hamilton cant rebound consistently. He's been benched because of it this season. We have 2 new recruits cleaning up the glass in Hugley and Amadasun. There may be 1 more added.

As far as Will Jeffress and gauging how much he can help, its difficult to give that opinion because of the competition he has gone up against. He's posted 35+ and 40+ scoring games this year. But those teams would lose by 50 to a team to a team like Our Savior where Amadasun plays. The competition is poor. Jeffress really needs to clean up his handle and tighten up his ball control. Ive seen enough recently that he has become a better perimeter shooter, but he needs to show it against better competition and not just wide open 3's. Jeffress would help next year, but I cant fairly say how much I think he could help at the current time.

I’m not sure why you have responded in this tone?

You asked for discussion and I believe I have provided a reasonable reply.

The reality is that most bigs of Hugley’s pedigree are not high impact players as freshmen. Perhaps he will break the trend and I hope he does. I have also spoken to someone who has been part of Big Johns informal workouts during visits this summer and he indicated the amount of work needed on mobility. This is very typical for most bigs — not just John.

From that, I find it hard to follow that he can defend fours, many of whom are perimeter players. I find it difficult to see him following his man all over the court around screens.

All of this is not to say that I don’t love big John as a recruit because I do. But it’s often the case that we have to wait a little while for recruits to become the players we want them to be from the beginning.

DT I don't have a bad tone but you strike me as a very knowledgeable man and I love reading your dribbles so I was kind of thrown off that you would stop his growth now compared to having another nine months to get better that's all. IMHO I just think that his work ethic to get better that he will ensure that is stanima will go up a lot over the next nine months

Murph and Horton isn't known for their defense their known for their shooting let's keep it in perspective. Ijs
Who says Horton and D don't go together? He WAS recruited into a program with a coach who insists on it. Besides my perspective includes the wing play in addition to the guard play. Expect more pressure with more rotation at the guard and wing spots = less need to throw two bigs in there just for the sake of having two bigs. Capel said as much after the NC game

Who says Horton and D don't go together? He WAS recruited into a program with a coach who insists on it. Besides my perspective includes the wing play in addition to the guard play. Expect more pressure with more rotation at the guard and wing spots = less need to throw two bigs in there just for the sake of having two bigs. Capel said as much after the NC game

Ok I do agree with you because you expanded your explanation what you were talking about and yes coach said that but he's referring to how his team is built now but the team will get a drastic boost next year so the same concept would not 100% apply to the team he has now.

DT I don't have a bad tone but you strike me as a very knowledgeable man and I love reading your dribbles so I was kind of thrown off that you would stop his growth now compared to having another nine months to get better that's all. IMHO I just think that his work ethic to get better that he will ensure that is stanima will go up a lot over the next nine months
Of course I do realize he is growing and developing and getting better, but so is pretty much every high school recruit.

Even the players in the program are developing and getting better.

My experience watching players such as Hughly is that they need a year or two in college before they are ready for very significant roles (unless of course they are in a situation to play because there is no one else).

Mike Young and Jamel Artis both filled that role as freshman at Pitt (playing the four) basically because we had no one else). But both JC and AD will have had a couple of years under their belt. They are likely to be ahead of Big John.

I think Big Johns best chance at making an impact right away is getting the minutes Eric is getting currently at the five. My guess is Terrell would likely start the year as the starter at the five, and John will get more of the minutes at the five if he can prove to be a strong rebounder.

Obviously, Coach Capel likes Terrell’s defense — particularly the shot blocking. But I can’t imagine he’s thrilled with his rebounding (and it’s pretty clear he has an issue with Eric’s rebounding too).

Nonetheless, we will indeed see what kind of role Big John can earn. It could be a role as big as Eric, but I really, really doubt we’ll see John play any four next year at all.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Bryce McGowens is a heavy lean to Florida State and will visit this weekend. Was hoping he would stay close to home and play at Clemson.

Of course I do realize he is growing and developing and getting better, but so is pretty much every high school recruit.

Even the players in the program are developing and getting better.

My experience watching players such as Hughly is that they need a year or two in college before they are ready for very significant roles (unless of course they are in a situation to play because there is no one else).

Mike Young and Jamel Artis both filled that role as freshman at Pitt (playing the four) basically because we had no one else). But both JC and AD will have had a couple of years under their belt. They are likely to be ahead of Big John.

I think Big Johns best chance at making an impact right away is getting the minutes Eric is getting currently at the five. My guess is Terrell would likely start the year as the starter at the five, and John will get more of the minutes at the five if he can prove to be a strong rebounder.

Obviously, Coach Capel likes Terrell’s defense — particularly the shot blocking. But I can’t imagine he’s thrilled with his rebounding (and it’s pretty clear he has an issue with Eric’s rebounding too).

Nonetheless, we will indeed see what kind of role Big John can earn. It could be a role as big as Eric, but I really, really doubt we’ll see John play any four next year at all.
Gotta admit I don’t feel very highly of Hamilton. I personally believe brown should be getting more of his minutes and be in the starting lineup.

We all know brown’s problem is his motor but his A game is a clear upgrade over a Hamilton A game in my opinion. What brown does well is better than what Hamilton does well.

Capel will likely do his best to feel out game by game who is giving them more and ride the hot hand.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Gotta admit I don’t feel very highly of Hamilton. I personally believe brown should be getting more of his minutes and be in the starting lineup.

We all know brown’s problem is his motor but his A game is a clear upgrade over a Hamilton A game in my opinion. What brown does well is better than what Hamilton does well.

Capel will likely do his best to feel out game by game who is giving them more and ride the hot hand.
The primary problem what brown doesn’t do well - defend snd rebound - which are tied to that whole motor thing .

Hamilton gives an upgrade on those two areas over brown .

The primary problem what brown doesn’t do well - defend snd rebound - which are tied to that whole motor thing .

Hamilton gives an upgrade on those two areas over brown .

You don't think Brown defends well?

Was just about to say the same.

Brown is a better defender than Hamilton in my opinion. Rebounding maybe give the edge to Hamilton but not by a lot. Offensively when brown is hitting that 15 footer like he has been I like TB in there more.

Reactions: mo cheeks
Was just about to say the same.

Brown is a better defender than Hamilton in my opinion. Rebounding maybe give the edge to Hamilton but not by a lot. Offensively when brown is hitting that 15 footer like he has been I like TB in there more.

There are many things Brown doesn't do especially well on the defensive end (defensive rebounding is a big issue) but his shot blocking and shot altering abilities at a high level have made his defense formidable at many times this year.

Not even a little

he’s a shot blocker -
But he either gets pushed off His spot or gets beat regularly in the paint

if he’s not blocking a shot he hurts us on defense

I don't disagree with some of that, but I believe that he is indeed a formidable shot blocker and (and shot "alterer") and that makes him a worthwhile defender at times.

I don't disagree with some of that, but I believe that he is indeed a formidable shot blocker and (and shot "alterer") and that makes him a worthwhile defender at times.
For the 20-30% of time he’s successful at shot blocking , altering - sure
The other 70% he’s a liability on defense

unc was probably his best game - 4 rebounds and 9 points snd was active

Brooks and bacot had double doubles .

Against Louisville he has 3 rebounds in 26 minutes and 3 points

Wardenberg had 10 rebounds for Miami - brown 4

If good defense is defined by ending the possession with the ball - brown very often is not a contributor .

hell Justin doubles up his rebounding numbers as a true frosh

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
For the 20-30% of time he’s successful at shot blocking , altering - sure
The other 70% he’s a liability on defense

I don't think he's an excellent defender, but my opinion of his defense is obviously higher than yours. And yes, defensive rebounding is part of defense, and he is substandard in this skill. But otherwise, I don't believe you are giving him quite enough credit as a defender.

Brown is a poor defender. He is a decent shot blocker but not a shot alterer for some reason. Hamilton isnt good defensively. He's a slightly better defender and better rebounder. Brown is probably the worst rebounder we've ever had.

This is exactly what will happen, the big man that least makes him want to gag on any given game will be the one he uses most.

Brown's issues are many, but defensively his general awareness and feet are real liabilities. This is 2020, not 2000. the college game is radically different. Offenses have evolved to the point where defense is different, too.

Big men don't get to just stay under the basket entire possessions and get good position to defend and rebound, they have to be able to move. Brown just does not have good feet, and his lack of awareness is exposed because he has to move around.

Once a ball goes up if he does try to box out and get position, he is just as liable to box out his own men as not - it does happen with him.

But, we are the point where people have started to accept him for what it is, and laboring on this points is monotonous.

He is a top flight shot blocker with his length and the way the game is played now benefits him in that regard because that is his master skill and he has a lot of opportunities to get blocks on help defense.

By and large it seems he is doing his best - he did stay with the team all summer last year vs not staying the sessions that were optional.

He seems his best if something happens early in the game where he gets engaged, and the games kind of comes to him that day. Not someone who can just come in and force his way into impacting a game.

It is what it is, and there literally are not better options than him and Hamilton, so we just have hope for the best from both of them.

Reactions: singregardless
Brown is a poor defender. He is a decent shot blocker but not a shot alterer for some reason. Hamilton isnt good defensively. He's a slightly better defender and better rebounder. Brown is probably the worst rebounder we've ever had.
He’s not a decent shot blocker— he’s a very good one. But his rebounding is very poor.

Overall, I’d suggest that he’s about net even on the defensive end. In select games, he’s been a plus on defense.

Reactions: pittjas
will Horton be a junior ?

Academically, yes. Eligibility, no.

He will have 3 years of eligibility remaining after sitting out his transfer year this season. They could be played as a Junior-Senior-Grad Student or he could become a grad-transfer somewhere for that 3rd year if he wasn't getting enough PT by then at Pitt.

Reactions: mo cheeks
This is another one of those things that you seem to think if you keep saying it it will be true.

Spoiler alert, it won't.

For evidence, I cite 3 layups by Miami players in the 2nd Half over Brown. One of which was by 5'7 Chris Lykes. The next time, he alters a shot, post it here.

If we land Jeffress and he reclassifies our 2020 class would be ranked around 14th and 5th in the ACC behind Duke/UNC/NC State/UVA. I went on the 24/7 class calculator and added Marcus Bagley to our class who is ranked similarly to William Jeffress. Bagley is slightly lower rated and normally when players reclass their rating drops. Either way to me 2020 or 2021 he will be a nice addition to our program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT