ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Game @ Cameron Indoor & Other Dribbles ...

The ironic part about all this...

Let's just call this one a 50-50 call at best.

There was a call literally a few minutes before this one before the 2 minute mark where the Duke player clearly stepped out of bounds and threw the ball off a Pitt player. The ref gave the ball to Duke and it was so blatantly obvious it was Pitt ball. Literally everyone knew and saw it including the announcers.

The only guys that didn't see it were the refs, and it was not reviewable. This one is not even debatable, the Duke players foot was out of bounds stepping on the ground. How the ref missed this call is even more excusable than the one being debated about on here.

Actually, the Duke player hadn't stepped out of bounds yet but Lowe was on the court out of bounds and the Duke player bounced the ball off of Lowe on the court and the ball was given to Duke. That was an obvious very badly missed call.

There was a call literally a few minutes before this one before the 2 minute mark where the Duke player clearly stepped out of bounds and threw the ball off a Pitt player. The ref gave the ball to Duke and it was so blatantly obvious it was Pitt ball. Literally everyone knew and saw it including the announcers.

The only guys that didn't see it were the refs, and it was not reviewable. This one is not even debatable, the Duke players foot was out of bounds stepping on the ground. How the ref missed this call is even more excusable than the one being debated about on here.
But when it comes to reviews … 50-50 doesn’t mean anything. It was called Pitt ball so it needs to be something like 90-95% to overturn it. At best, in my opinion … it was 45%. I saw nothing in that replay which indicated otherwise.

Man, when Hinson hits his first 2 three pointers, look out. He is obviously the difference maker.

I have to say, it was a great win. But my god, those guys in stripes did everything they possibly could to help Duke win. Wow. The phantom technical. The disparity of FT's. But that call....you all know the one.....I have never seen a call that was not so controversial become so parsed, and reviewed frame by frame like the Zapruder film. I don't think I have seen such scrutiny on game winning shots. It was simply a group of referees trying to come up with a way to give Duke the basketball. 7 minutes. Folks, that is not why replay was introduced into sports. Not for that. Again, it is so simple, if you can't find a reason to reverse a call in 45 seconds of review, then the call on the court/field stands. How do they get away with that??

And because of that.... FU Dookies. Go cry some more.

When I heard Roach and Mitchell werent playing and we started out 5-0, I honestly thought we could win. College teams cant afford to lose starters. Look at WVU, who can beat anyone now that they have their starters back. That said, its all 3 point shooting. Pitt shot 50%. Duke shot 39%, still a great percentage. WVU shot 57%. Kansas shot 30%. College basketball is really just a 3 point shooting contest. When we shoot well, we will win. When we dont, we wont. This isnt like 80s, 90s, 2000s College basketball when pressing defenses or things like rebounding made a difference. Its really just 3 point shooting now

** You are welcome everyone!

** I figured the only way our Panthers could come away victorious in Cameron Indoor for the first time in almost half a century was for me to watch the game here in the heart of ACC Country. As a diehard fan, I have that kind of power.

** Seriously though, after the drive down to Williamsburg to return our kid to William & Mary, the family settled in our hotel to watch on our laptop what we expected to be pretty quick work on our guys by the Blue Devils.

** Instead, it was a game we will always remember. It was one for the record books. And it was wonderful!

** The hardest part about watching our Panthers stumble and bumble to a sorry 1-5 start in the ACC wasn’t so much that our team wasn’t very good. The harder part for me was more the feeling that we weren’t even as good as we should be.

** So for one special night in North Carolina, and for me in southern Virginia, we got to watch our Panthers be all we can really ever ask of our team. That is, to be the best team that they can be. Tonight that's exactly what our Panthers were.

** Back in December, I closed my thoughts against West Virginia proclaiming Blake Hinson as the best 3 point shooter in Pitt Basketball history. I really should learn to stay away from such proclamations. They often come back to look really bad.

** Blake’s three point shooting surely has looked pretty bad over the last couple weeks. But now in addition to a record setting 9 threes in a game, Blake is now in the record books for a 7-7 single game as well.

** The seventh three may have even caused me a problem. My W&M freshman and I yelled so loud that we expected to get a call from the front desk. So far, we are in the clear.

** And I don’t know how it’s possible, but somehow Blake is in the clear after pulling his own version of Kahlid Al-Amin on the scorers table. I can’t say I’m a fan of such actions, but hey, I just didn’t hit 7 of 7 three point shots in Cameron Indoor either.

** But is it even possible that despite an ACC record, 7-7 three point shooting, 24 point performance, Blake wasn’t even our most valuable player tonight?

** Doesn’t that designation really need to go to Jaland Lowe after a 17 point, 6 assist, 0 turnover night in Durham. And despite all of the magic of Blake’s 7 takes and 7 makes, somehow Mr. Lowe found his way to hit the biggest three point shot of the night.

** It wasn’t just that the shot was perfectly courageous, confident and covenient, it was also over the outstretched arms of Kyle Fillipowski. For all the grief that Kyle has given the Panthers over the last several games, it was great to finally see him fail.

** I think it’s fair to say that we just witnessed the best single game by a Panther freshman guard this year.

** As for the rest of our Panthers, at the top of the list stands the much maligned Fede Federico. Offering hyperbole to his performance this night would not be accurate. His performance was far from perfect. But it was also exactly enough of what the Panthers need from him. It's what we've needed from him in many games this year.

** And following as Fede’s understudy, GDiaz’s minutes were equally solid. All plus plays for a team that needed them from him too.

** Allow me to also add that I’m really happy for Head Coach Jeff Capel. Personally, I’ll say that I really like Capel, even if I’m unimpressed with his overall abilities to bring his team together well. More and more, last year has been looking more like a fluky blip.

** This huge win on his former home court isn’t nearly enough yet to proclaim any kind of turnaround for this team. In fact, I’d say the odds are that this too will look a little more like a fluky blip over the course of this campaign as well.

** Additionally, it’s hard to think that Duke doesn’t come away victorious if Jeremy Roach and Mark Mitchell are on the court. But right now, that matters not.

** But whatever the future holds for Capel, and I’ll still always hope for the best for him as the leader of our Panthers, at least he can say he won in Cameron.

** Now for the first time since 1979, the Panthers can say they won in Cameron, on a night within a season when almost no one expected it. Especially not this Panther fan typing these thoughts from only about 2 and ½ hours away from Duke.

** Perhaps the only ones who did expect it were the ones wearing the blue jerseys with the gold trim. They are the only ones that really matter. Thank you young men!
I’m certain the taunts from the Cameron lug nuts were clean and wholesome.
Karma is a bitch.

Like you, it surely wasn't obvious to me on the TV replays whether the call should have, or shouldn't have, been overturned. Maybe the refs had more angles to see than was shown to the TV viewers?

On the other hand, in general, I believe that if it is going to take that long to decide; it should mean you aren't absolutely certain and you should let the original call stand.
That’s my thought also. If it takes that long to make a decision, it defies logic to think there was remotely any level of certainty to justify a reversal.

Man, when Hinson hits his first 2 three pointers, look out. He is obviously the difference maker.

I have to say, it was a great win. But my god, those guys in stripes did everything they possibly could to help Duke win. Wow. The phantom technical. The disparity of FT's. But that call....you all know the one.....I have never seen a call that was not so controversial become so parsed, and reviewed frame by frame like the Zapruder film. I don't think I have seen such scrutiny on game winning shots. It was simply a group of referees trying to come up with a way to give Duke the basketball. 7 minutes. Folks, that is not why replay was introduced into sports. Not for that. Again, it is so simple, if you can't find a reason to reverse a call in 45 seconds of review, then the call on the court/field stands. How do they get away with that??

And because of that.... FU Dookies. Go cry some more.

There were 2 official calls that were wrong. The one that was reviewed for it seemed an hour was marginal but shouldn't have been reversed, simply because there wasn't any evidence to reverse it.

But the egregiously bad call was the one where Duke was awarded the ball when a Duke player in the air and going out of bounds hit the ball of off Lowe who was laying on the court out of bounds. The ball should have been given to Pitt since the last player in bounds to have touched the ball was a Duke player. But it was given to Duke. VERY bad call. But we overcame even that and still won.

I’ve come around on Hinson jumping up on the table. It was pretty cool lol. Duck Fuke. I don’t care if we don’t win another game, I’m still enjoying how butthurt they are over it
I've shut down some Duke fans with "so you're a fan of a team that routinely taunts their opponents by slapping the floor on defense, and you are complaining about this?"

Most encouraging to me was seeing Lowe, Fede, and Liggett contribute. They all played critical roles and if we can get that to go along with Bub and Blake we should be competitive in every game going forward and have a chance at a run.

Amazing that Fede fouled a Duke three point shooter with a four point lead in the final seconds. Reading his lips he didn’t even understand he had done something wrong, he was saying “all ball.”

Then on the last shot one of the twins AGAIN contested a Duke three point shooter, with a four point lead. As a 10 year old I was taught never to do this, if he makes the 3 who cares you win by 1.

I would blame Capel but this is something these guys should have known long before they attended Pitt they were lucky it didn’t bite them

I’ve come around on Hinson jumping up on the table. It was pretty cool lol. Duck Fuke. I don’t care if we don’t win another game, I’m still enjoying how butthurt they are over it

Blake is a really an all-time great. Not at the Blair or Knight level. But he got the team back to the NCAA Tournament and has a style of game and attitude that just resonates. I have no doubt that Duke fans were taunting him all game and while you'd expect a young pro to just let that go in one ear and out the other, its human to internalize that and feed off it or let it effect you in a bad way. I have no problem with what he did. He is a passionate player and he has earned the right to make a "mistake" here and there if you even categorize it as a mistake. You can tell he put a lot into that game.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
There were 2 official calls that were wrong. The one that was reviewed for it seemed an hour was marginal but shouldn't have been reversed, simply because there wasn't any evidence to reverse it.

But the egregiously bad call was the one where Duke was awarded the ball when a Duke player in the air and going out of bounds hit the ball of off Lowe who was laying on the court out of bounds. The ball should have been given to Pitt since the last player in bounds to have touched the ball was a Duke player. But it was given to Duke. VERY bad call. But we overcame even that and still won.
The second call you mentioned was discussed in the game thread, and a player who is out of bounds cannot touch the ball. Lowe obviously was, so ball to Duke. The problem was that the Duke player’s foot had hit the floor before he threw the ball off of Lowe, which the official missed.

Glad we have a positive Pitt table jump memory now!!!
Agreed. Normally, this stuff is in bad taste, but the way it all played out and Hinson's explanation when interviewed, it is a classic all in good fun college moment, IMO.

Amazing that Fede fouled a Duke three point shooter with a four point lead in the final seconds. Reading his lips he didn’t even understand he had done something wrong, he was saying “all ball.”

Then on the last shot one of the twins AGAIN contested a Duke three point shooter, with a four point lead. As a 10 year old I was taught never to do this, if he makes the 3 who cares you win by 1.

I would blame Capel but this is something these guys should have known long before they attended Pitt they were lucky it didn’t bite them
It was all ball though

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt8189

Announcers I think said it couldn't be reviewed because it wasn't under 2 minutes or something

Actually, the Duke player hadn't stepped out of bounds yet but Lowe was on the court out of bounds and the Duke player bounced the ball off of Lowe on the court and the ball was given to Duke. That was an obvious very badly missed call.
No, they both 100% were out of bounds.

It was blatantly obvious on replay. It wasn't blatantly obvious in real time.

I've shut down some Duke fans with "so you're a fan of a team that routinely taunts their opponents by slapping the floor on defense, and you are complaining about this?"
And the more I'm think about it, I'm just glad to see Pitt finally playing with some fire. Except for maybe last season, the program's lacked any sort of cohesive identity for over a decade. There's been no playing with a chip on their shoulder like in the 2000s. So if that results in Blake jumping on a table, I'll take it. And he wasn't the one holding up his middle finger.

Besides, considering Terry's ridiculous outrage over horns down the other night, and the Dukies outrage over a perceived disrespect of a student section that is famed for being overly obnoxious while sitting 2 inches from the court, anyone that thinks their college sport team's cheer novelties are sacrosanct needs to reevaluate their life.

Reactions: Parkview57

It was obvious it wasn't all ball and it was just a dumb play by Fede.

Reactions: Pitt8189
When I heard Roach and Mitchell werent playing and we started out 5-0, I honestly thought we could win. College teams cant afford to lose starters. Look at WVU, who can beat anyone now that they have their starters back. That said, its all 3 point shooting. Pitt shot 50%. Duke shot 39%, still a great percentage. WVU shot 57%. Kansas shot 30%. College basketball is really just a 3 point shooting contest. When we shoot well, we will win. When we dont, we wont. This isnt like 80s, 90s, 2000s College basketball when pressing defenses or things like rebounding made a difference. Its really just 3 point shooting now
Which I don't know why more teams aren't hitting Europe to recruit because they have always been strong on the perimeter.

I am surprised you will actually bet money against Pitt. i will and have never done that. I couldn't no matter how bad the team is or how much it looks like a lock to bet against them.
I love betting against Pitt in the right situations. I'll gladly pay the money for us to win, and it's a consolation prize if we lose.

I love betting against Pitt in the right situations. I'll gladly pay the money for us to win, and it's a consolation prize if we lose.
One time years ago, I bought game 7 playoff tickets for a Penguins series. While watching the game 6, that they had to win, I realized that I'd, in effect, bet a few hundred dollars on them to lose (as I'd then get my money back). I "lost" the bet. Then they lost in 7, anyway.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT