ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Game @ Cameron Indoor & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** You are welcome everyone!

** I figured the only way our Panthers could come away victorious in Cameron Indoor for the first time in almost half a century was for me to watch the game here in the heart of ACC Country. As a diehard fan, I have that kind of power.

** Seriously though, after the drive down to Williamsburg to return our kid to William & Mary, the family settled in our hotel to watch on our laptop what we expected to be pretty quick work on our guys by the Blue Devils.

** Instead, it was a game we will always remember. It was one for the record books. And it was wonderful!

** The hardest part about watching our Panthers stumble and bumble to a sorry 1-5 start in the ACC wasn’t so much that our team wasn’t very good. The harder part for me was more the feeling that we weren’t even as good as we should be.

** So for one special night in North Carolina, and for me in southern Virginia, we got to watch our Panthers be all we can really ever ask of our team. That is, to be the best team that they can be. Tonight that's exactly what our Panthers were.

** Back in December, I closed my thoughts against West Virginia proclaiming Blake Hinson as the best 3 point shooter in Pitt Basketball history. I really should learn to stay away from such proclamations. They often come back to look really bad.

** Blake’s three point shooting surely has looked pretty bad over the last couple weeks. But now in addition to a record setting 9 threes in a game, Blake is now in the record books for a 7-7 single game as well.

** The seventh three may have even caused me a problem. My W&M freshman and I yelled so loud that we expected to get a call from the front desk. So far, we are in the clear.

** And I don’t know how it’s possible, but somehow Blake is in the clear after pulling his own version of Kahlid Al-Amin on the scorers table. I can’t say I’m a fan of such actions, but hey, I just didn’t hit 7 of 7 three point shots in Cameron Indoor either.

** But is it even possible that despite an ACC record, 7-7 three point shooting, 24 point performance, Blake wasn’t even our most valuable player tonight?

** Doesn’t that designation really need to go to Jaland Lowe after a 17 point, 6 assist, 0 turnover night in Durham. And despite all of the magic of Blake’s 7 takes and 7 makes, somehow Mr. Lowe found his way to hit the biggest three point shot of the night.

** It wasn’t just that the shot was perfectly courageous, confident and covenient, it was also over the outstretched arms of Kyle Fillipowski. For all the grief that Kyle has given the Panthers over the last several games, it was great to finally see him fail.

** I think it’s fair to say that we just witnessed the best single game by a Panther freshman guard this year.

** As for the rest of our Panthers, at the top of the list stands the much maligned Fede Federico. Offering hyperbole to his performance this night would not be accurate. His performance was far from perfect. But it was also exactly enough of what the Panthers need from him. It's what we've needed from him in many games this year.

** And following as Fede’s understudy, GDiaz’s minutes were equally solid. All plus plays for a team that needed them from him too.

** Allow me to also add that I’m really happy for Head Coach Jeff Capel. Personally, I’ll say that I really like Capel, even if I’m unimpressed with his overall abilities to bring his team together well. More and more, last year has been looking more like a fluky blip.

** This huge win on his former home court isn’t nearly enough yet to proclaim any kind of turnaround for this team. In fact, I’d say the odds are that this too will look a little more like a fluky blip over the course of this campaign as well.

** Additionally, it’s hard to think that Duke doesn’t come away victorious if Jeremy Roach and Mark Mitchell are on the court. But right now, that matters not.

** But whatever the future holds for Capel, and I’ll still always hope for the best for him as the leader of our Panthers, at least he can say he won in Cameron.

** Now for the first time since 1979, the Panthers can say they won in Cameron, on a night within a season when almost no one expected it. Especially not this Panther fan typing these thoughts from only about 2 and ½ hours away from Duke.

** Perhaps the only ones who did expect it were the ones wearing the blue jerseys with the gold trim. They are the only ones that really matter. Thank you young men!

This:

The hardest part about watching our Panthers stumble and bumble to a sorry 1-5 start in the ACC wasn’t so much that our team wasn’t very good. The harder part for me was more the feeling that we weren’t even as good as we should be.

** I figured the only way our Panthers could come away victorious in Cameron Indoor for the first time in almost half a century was for me to watch the game here in the heart of ACC Country. As a diehard fan, I have that kind of power.

** Seriously though, after the drive down to Williamsburg to return our kid to William & Mary, the family settled in our hotel to watch on our laptop what we expected to be pretty quick work on our guys by the Blue Devils.

** Instead, it was a game we will always remember. It was one for the record books. And it was wonderful!

** The hardest part about watching our Panthers stumble and bumble to a sorry 1-5 start in the ACC wasn’t so much that our team wasn’t very good. The harder part of the me was more the feeling that we weren’t even as good as we should be.

** So for one special night in North Carolina, and for me in southern Virginia, we got to watch our Panthers be all we can really ever ask of our team. That is, to be the best team that they can be. Tonight that's exactly what our Panthers were.

** Back in December, I closed my thoughts against West Virginia proclaiming Blake Hinson as the best 3 point shooter in Pitt Basketball history. I really should learn to stay away from such proclamations. They often come back to look really bad.

** Blake’s three point shooting surely has looked pretty bad over the last couple weeks. But now in addition to a record setting 9 threes in a game, Blake is now in the record books for a 7-7 one night as well.

** The seventh three may have even caused me a problem. My W&M freshman and I yelled so loud that we expected to get a call from the front desk. So far, we are in the clear.

** And I don’t know how it’s possible, but somehow Blake is in the clear after pulling his own version of Kahlid Al-Amin on the scorers table. I can’t say I’m a fan of such actions, but hey, I just didn’t hit 7 of 7 three point shoots in Cameron Indoor either.

** But is it even possible that despite an ACC record, 7-7 three point shooting, 24 point performance, Blake wasn’t even our most valuable player tonight?

** Doesn’t that designation really need to go to Jaland Lowe after a 17 point, 6 assist, 0 turnover night in Durham. And to all of the magic of Blake’s 7 takes and 7 makes, somehow Mr. Lowe found his way to hit the biggest three point shot of the night.

** It wasn’t just that the shot was perfectly courageous and confident, it was also over the outstretched arms of Kyle Fillipowski. For all the grief that Kyle has given the Panthers over the last several games, it was great to finally see him fail.

** As for Jaland, I think it’s fair to say that we just witnessed the the best single game by a Panther freshman guard this year.

** As for the rest of our Panthers, at the top of the list stands that much maligned Fede Federico. Offering hyperbole to his performance this night would not be accurate. His performance was far from perfect. But it was also exactly enough of what the Panthers need from him. It's what we've needed from him in many games this year.

** And following as Fede’s understudy, GDiaz’s minutes were equally solid. All plus plays for a team that needed them from him too.

** Allow me to also add that I’m really happy for Head Coach Jeff Capel. Personally, I’ll say that I really like Capel even if I’m unimpressed with his abilities to bring his team together well. More and more, last year was looking more like a fluky blip.

** This huge win on his former home court isn’t nearly enough yet to proclaim any kind of turnaround for this team. In fact, I’d say the odds are that this too will look a little more like a flunky blip in the course of this campaign as well.

** Additionally, it’s hard to think that Duke doesn’t come away victorious if Jeremy Roach and Mark Mitchell are on the court. But right now, that matters not.

** But whatever the future holds for Capel, and I’ll still always hope for the best him as the leader of our Panthers, he can at least say he won in Cameron.

** And now for the first time since 1979, the Panthers can say they won in Cameron, on a night within a season when almost no one expected it. Especially not this Panther fan typing these thoughts from only about 2 and ½ hours away.

** Perhaps the only ones who did expect it were the ones wearing the blue jerseys with the gold trim. Thank you young men!
Hail to Pitt! So proud of the team tonight! Hope it turns into a run…

Reactions: pierre93
Always look forward to the Dribbles even-handed and objective as always. Proud of the team and this effort. We'll see what happens the rest of the way.

Reactions: jctrack

** The hardest part about watching our Panthers stumble and bumble to a sorry 1-5 start in the ACC wasn’t so much that our team wasn’t very good. The harder part of the me was more the feeling that we weren’t even as good as we should be.

** Blake’s three point shooting surely has looked pretty bad over the last couple weeks. But now in addition to a record setting 9 threes in a game, Blake is now in the record books for a 7-7 single game as well.

** And I don’t know how it’s possible, but somehow Blake is in the clear after pulling his own version of Kahlid Al-Amin on the scorers table. I can’t say I’m a fan of such actions, but hey, I just didn’t hit 7 of 7 three point shoots in Cameron Indoor either.

** Doesn’t that designation really need to go to Jaland Lowe after a 17 point, 6 assist, 0 turnover night in Durham. And despite all of the magic of Blake’s 7 takes and 7 makes, somehow Mr. Lowe found his way to hit the biggest three point shot of the night.

** It wasn’t just that the shot was perfectly courageous, confident and covenient, it was also over the outstretched arms of Kyle Fillipowski. For all the grief that Kyle has given the Panthers over the last several games, it was great to finally see him fail.

** I think it’s fair to say that we just witnessed the the best single game by a Panther freshman guard this year.

** As for the rest of our Panthers, at the top of the list stands that much maligned Fede Federico. Offering hyperbole to his performance this night would not be accurate. His performance was far from perfect. But it was also exactly enough of what the Panthers need from him. It's what we've needed from him in many games this year.

** Allow me to also add that I’m really happy for Head Coach Jeff Capel. Personally, I’ll say that I really like Capel, even if I’m unimpressed with his overall abilities to bring his team together well. More and more, last year has been looking more like a fluky blip.

** This huge win on his former home court isn’t nearly enough yet to proclaim any kind of turnaround for this team. In fact, I’d say the odds are that this too will look a little more like a flunky blip over the course of this campaign as well.

** But whatever the future holds for Capel, and I’ll still always hope for the best him as the leader of our Panthers, at least he can say he won in Cameron.

** Now for the first time since 1979, the Panthers can say they won in Cameron, on a night within a season when almost no one expected it. Especially not this Panther fan typing these thoughts from only about 2 and ½ hours away from Duke.

** Perhaps the only ones who did expect it were the ones wearing the blue jerseys with the gold trim. They are the only ones that really matter. Thank you young men!
-As you said, Fede was far from perfect, but if he does not play 27 minutes tonight, we don’t win. Hopefully he and the team can build on this and be the team that we thought they could be.

-Not a huge fan of what Blake did, but the fact that Duke players, coaches and fans are making such a big deal about it makes me feel much better about it. As someone who saw El Amin do it in person at the Fitz, it seems fitting that we ended up on the winning end of one of these. And, as I remember, nobody in the National media at that time thought it was in bad taste for El Amin to do it, so I say **** Duke!

-Let’s make this interesting with a win at GT on Tue!

-As you said, Fede was far from perfect, but if he does not play 27 minutes tonight, we don’t win. Hopefully he and the team can build on this and be the team that we thought they could be.

-Not a huge fan of what Blake did, but the fact that Duke players, coaches and fans are making such a big deal about it makes me feel much better about it. As someone who saw El Amin do it in person at the Fitz, it seems fitting that we ended up on the winning end of one of these. And, as I remember, nobody in the National media at that time thought it was in bad taste for El Amin to do it, so I say **** Duke!

Be honest. Where was your money tonight?

Hopefully this isn’t just a one off & we use this win to go on a run. I have the sense that there is more there than what we’re getting with this team.

I can’t be mad at Blake with the way his season has gone. It had to be such a great feeling for him to carry us to a huge road win. He’s under a lot of pressure to produce and he came thru tonight big time

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
It was with Duke. No way you could go any other way. I’ll take the loss any time!
I am surprised you will actually bet money against Pitt. i will and have never done that. I couldn't no matter how bad the team is or how much it looks like a lock to bet against them.

Yeah, can’t be mad at Blake about the table stomp. Something was definitely percolating between him and the Cameron Crazies considering his technical foul after rousing the students earlier in the game. I’m guessing the T was for something he said on the court to a Duke player or ref and not his banter with the student section but it nonetheless had his adrenaline pumping enough to prompt the table stomp after getting the W.

On a separate topic, I’m surprised no mention in the dribbles of what seemed like the longest review in the history of the game and the surprising decision to reverse the call and give the ball to Duke.

This was a great, great win for Pitt on the road against the #7 team in the country. But it is just one data point. Hopefully, it starts a trend because we're going to need 5 or 6 more of those wins in a row now to get back talking again about any kind of tournament.

Jaland Lowe is phenomenal. Not only did he play the single best game by a Pitt freshman guard this year, it was to me the single best game by a Panther guard in many, many years. He reminds me of a mature, experienced Levance Fields, but with more consistency and pure talent. That kid is amazing. I sure hole he sticks around at Pitt for at least another year. If this keeps up, he'll either go for a big payday from a blue blood after this season or be off to the NBA after next year.

Yeah, can’t be mad at Blake about the table stomp. Something was definitely percolating between him and the Cameron Crazies considering his technical foul after rousing the students earlier in the game. I’m guessing the T was for something he said on the court to a Duke player or ref and not his banter with the student section but it nonetheless had his adrenaline pumping enough to prompt the table stomp after getting the W.

On a separate topic, I’m surprised no mention in the dribbles of what seemed like the longest review in the history of the game and the surprising decision to reverse the call and give the ball to Duke.

It was an obvious missed call. But officials are seldom the reason we win or lose a game. They made a gross mistake after having taken the better part of 15 minutes to look at it numerous times at numerous angles. But it doesn't matter. Good teams don't let that kind of crap defeat them. I hope Pitt will begin to develop now into one of those good teams.

I enjoyed watching this game…early on, driving to the hoop (and not settling for jump shots), attacking the boards and keeping Flip off balance were all good adjustments to our game. It had to surprise Duke how we came out. We took the game to them, and never backed down.

And like DT, I also like Coach Jeff and only want him to succeed!

Proud of this team and unlike many fans, they haven’t given up!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

After the loss to Duke at The Pete, I referenced in the Dribbles the last time a certain #2 on Pitt stuck it to the Dukies at Madison Square Garden, subsequently leaping onto the scorer's table in celebration of the historic win.

Considering my comment last time, it certainly is an amazing twist of fate that another #2 did the same tonight in Cameron Indoor.

Sometimes you just can't figure sports out because I didn't think we had a chance in heck tonight.

After the loss to Duke at The Pete, I referenced in the Dribbles the last time a certain #2 on Pitt stuck it to the Dukies at Madison Square Garden, subsequently leaping onto the scorer's table in celebration of the historic win.

Considering my comment last time, it certainly is an amazing twist of fate that another #2 did the same tonight in Cameron Indoor.

Sometimes you just can't figure sports out because I didn't think we had a chance in heck tonight.

I certainly didn't think Pitt would win, but I thought it had the potential to be interesting.

Duke has been vulnerable this year. Factor in they are without two of their top players - and you have to think Hinson is going to break out of his slump at some point. (Great night for it!)

I think we were probably overly cynical just because of the way last two Duke games played out. I'm not saying Duke isn't better than Pitt, but nothing like that. If memory serves me correctly, I think Pitt had a sizable lead last year in the game at Cameron.

Finally, don't discount the SMF effect. We were told to factor in 2 automatic losses to Duke in this year's ACC slate. No need to play the game, just put those games in the L column.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
It’s like putting on a spring jacket after a long winter and finding twenty bucks in the pocket. It’s awesome but you doubt it can happen again.

Didn’t want to ruin the vibe discussing the overturn which was one of the worst college basketball calls I can say I’ve ever seen.

** The hardest part about watching our Panthers stumble and bumble to a sorry 1-5 start in the ACC wasn’t so much that our team wasn’t very good. The harder part for me was more the feeling that we weren’t even as good as we should be.

** I think it’s fair to say that we just witnessed the best single game by a Panther freshman guard this year.

** As for the rest of our Panthers, at the top of the list stands the much maligned Fede Federico. Offering hyperbole to his performance this night would not be accurate. His performance was far from perfect. But it was also exactly enough of what the Panthers need from him. It's what we've needed from him in many games this year.

** This huge win on his former home court isn’t nearly enough yet to proclaim any kind of turnaround for this team. In fact, I’d say the odds are that this too will look a little more like a fluky blip over the course of this campaign as well.

** But whatever the future holds for Capel, and I’ll still always hope for the best for him as the leader of our Panthers, at least he can say he won in Cameron.

Nice write up as always, but did William & Mary really offer your son THAT much more NIL $$$ for him to spurn Pitt?

• Haha
It’s amazing how much different the game looks when your teams shots go in and your opponents don’t !

Great win and more importantly a much needed win .

I know Duke was missing a couple of players , but they’re not Pitt with limited depth. The guys stepping in would all be starting at most schools in the country .

Blake was incredible and rebounded better than I’ve seen before .

Jaland just keeps getting better ( and to think he’s doing it without the help of the coaches ! ) , now all they need is Bub to regain his shooting touch .

I’ve been hard on Fede this yr , but far and away his best game this season .

Hats off to JC for keeping his players belief in themselves , the way the season was going it would have been easy to get blown out at Cameron . Good job coach . By the way he’s going nowhere in the near future .

Like DT Pitt, I expected the game to be over by halftime. the last time Pitt won at Duke, Sam Bam Clancy played one of the best games in Pitt history. Lowe is special. He and Bub could be an incredible tandem.

Back to the OP

This team was attacking the rim and our offense was running smooth. Its been something Ive been screaming about since early in the season, attack with dribble penetration and utilize dump offs, kickouts, etc..

There has to be much more dribble drive in the future to keep the defense moving instead of constant perimeter passing and game watching followed by jacking a perimeter shot. Its far harder for the opposing team to play defense when the ball is moving fast with dribble penetration and crisp passing. Duke's defense was on the move all game long.

Jaland Lowe was the star of this game. With all due respect to Hinson's shooting, Lowe was the star by a mile.

It was an obvious missed call. But officials are seldom the reason we win or lose a game. They made a gross mistake after having taken the better part of 15 minutes to look at it numerous times at numerous angles. But it doesn't matter. Good teams don't let that kind of crap defeat them. I hope Pitt will begin to develop now into one of those good teams.
I’ll give the nod to your eyes over mine if you think that was an obvious call. I think that’s the 1st time for me watching any sporting event where I didn’t have a leaning one way or the other on what the correct/most likely call was.

And apparently the refs agreed mire with me than you given the amount of time it took them to make a decision.

Reactions: gary2
Didn’t want to ruin the vibe discussing the overturn which was one of the worst college basketball calls I can say I’ve ever seen.
True dat. But it’s a good thing we held on for the W because I can’t imagine Pitt fans reactions if we would have lost after and because of that reversal.

True dat. But it’s a good thing we held on for the W because I can’t imagine Pitt fans reactions if we would have lost after and because of that reversal.

The ironic part about all this...

Let's just call this one a 50-50 call at best.

There was a call literally a few minutes before this one before the 2 minute mark where the Duke player clearly stepped out of bounds and threw the ball off a Pitt player. The ref gave the ball to Duke and it was so blatantly obvious it was Pitt ball. Literally everyone knew and saw it including the announcers.

The only guys that didn't see it were the refs, and it was not reviewable. This one is not even debatable, the Duke players foot was out of bounds stepping on the ground. How the ref missed this call is even more excusable than the one being debated about on here.

I’ll give the nod to your eyes over mine if you think that was an obvious call. I think that’s the 1st time for me watching any sporting event where I didn’t have a leaning one way or the other on what the correct/most likely call was.

And apparently the refs agreed mire with me than you given the amount of time it took them to make a decision.
Like you, it surely wasn't obvious to me on the TV replays whether the call should have, or shouldn't have, been overturned. Maybe the refs had more angles to see than was shown to the TV viewers?

On the other hand, in general, I believe that if it is going to take that long to decide; it should mean you aren't absolutely certain and you should let the original call stand.

Like you, it surely wasn't obvious to me on the TV replays whether the call should have, or shouldn't have, been overturned. Maybe the refs had more angles to see than was shown to the TV viewers?

On the other hand, in general, I believe that if it is going to take that long to decide; it should mean you aren't absolutely certain and you should let the original call stand.

That's the point. Inconclusive means the original call stands. But it was meaningless in the end, as most calls are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT