ADVERTISEMENT

3rd & 93

It's never time to quick kick. Never. You go for it on 3rd and goal from your own seven and maybe the defense gets called for holding or pass interference and you go from 3rd and 93 to 1st and 10.

anyone remember foge punting on 3rd down against the nits? not a quick kick. A punt formation on 3rd down.

It's never time to quick kick. Never. You go for it on 3rd and goal from your own seven and maybe the defense gets called for holding or pass interference and you go from 3rd and 93 to 1st and 10.
Disagree. It depends on the score, time left in the game, and whether you have a good defense or not. Situational football and flipping the field position are significant.

Reactions: TD_6082

That's what I would do. Just have my WR's run deep flys, max protect and throw as far as possible and hope for a PI call. Nowadays on jump balls there is a 50/50 chance....

I just wonder if either of the announcers pulled out the old "just call something safe here. Don't try to get it all back on one play." garbage.

Also, Tech was very close to actually losing 50+ yards and getting a 1st down on the play. MSU players easily could've been called for illegally batting/kicking a loose ball.

What's funny hear is that you know if Pitt were playing defense on 3rd and 93, we would still be worried about a successful conversion.

I was at a wvu game in mid 90s where they converted a 3rd and 40+. Ran a draw to Zereoue and actually got it..

I was at a wvu game in mid 90s where they converted a 3rd and 40+. Ran a draw to Zereoue and actually got it..

I fully expect those conversions now against Pitt, especially in larger games. Remember that game against Miami where is was something like 4th and 35? I was totally ready for that conversion to their TE.

Disagree. It depends on the score, time left in the game, and whether you have a good defense or not. Situational football and flipping the field position are significant.

Quick kicking basically never flips field position. When you quick kick from you own seven you are pretty much always giving the opponent the ball on your half of the 50. If your non-punter doesn't kick it well you are giving it up inside your 40. If your non-punter quarterback is good enough that you are expecting a 50 yard kick then he probably ought to be your regular punter.

There is nothing that punting on third down accomplishes that punting on fourth down doesn't, except you have no chance of gaining some yards on the third down play and you (normally) have a significantly worse punter kicking the ball.

quick kicks are good on like a 4th and 10 on the opposition 40-45 yard line, where the QB is in shotgun and he punts it over the safety's head. outside of that, it's a chicken sh*t call.

on this 4th down and 93, it would have been funny had they ran a 15 yard pattern and the CB gets called with pass interference.. I can seriously see pitt doing something like that..

Reactions: Mikefln
quick kicks are good on like a 4th and 10 on the opposition 40-45 yard line, where the QB is in shotgun and he punts it over the safety's head. outside of that, it's a chicken sh*t call.

on this 4th down and 93, it would have been funny had they ran a 15 yard pattern and the CB gets called with pass interference.. I can seriously see pitt doing something like that..

Then it's 4th and 78.

If you are playing on field turf and get a huge bounce added to the punt, then it absolutely makes sense. How good your punt coverage is, and the opponents return man would also factor into it. If Ray Guy is your punter, then obviously you do not quick kick. But to make a blanket statement about NEVER using a quick kick and bashing the idea altogether is foolish.

Remember the last time we saw a team do that, Pitt blocked the Youngstown State punt and almost scored a touchdown out of it.

If you are playing on field turf and get a huge bounce added to the punt, then it absolutely makes sense. How good your punt coverage is, and the opponents return man would also factor into it. If Ray Guy is your punter, then obviously you do not quick kick. But to make a blanket statement about NEVER using a quick kick and bashing the idea altogether is foolish.

If you are playing on field turf it's just as likely that your non-kickers punt hits and bounces back towards the line of scrimmage rather than bounces 20 yards further down field. I mean seriously, if you need to count on getting a huge bounce to make your strategy worthwhile, then there's your sign that it isn't really a good strategy.

If an idea is dumb then bashing it is the correct response. Quick kicking is dumb. All the time.

That's what I would do. Just have my WR's run deep flys, max protect and throw as far as possible and hope for a PI call. Nowadays on jump balls there is a 50/50 chance....
PI in college is a 15 yard penalty from the previous spot, so it would be 4th down and goal to go from their own 19 yard line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT