ADVERTISEMENT

7-5

Oct 25, 2021
Don't know that you'll ever seen better than it again in the Narduzzi Era. He has four seasons that were better, not including bowls, and they all come with caveats (we can debate the merit of those caveats until the cows come home).

But it goes well beyond that. Miami and FSU are either fixed or a lot closer to it. UNC finally caught up to their recruiting talent. Some of the doormats we used to be able to count on (Duke, Syracuse, GT) have crawled out of the grave. And, most importantly, our head coach just refuses to adapt to how modern college football is played. UNC wasn't even playing around with an inferior team last night (Brown said after the game they let off the gas in the second half and could have rung up even more points if needed). When we have more talent than a team (GT and Louisville last year), we engage in a rock fight that allows for the game to go either way.

And his eye for offensive talent... my God, Bub Means was Plan A?! He's less Waffle House and more Century 3 Mall. Jurkovec in year 9?! Just no knack for what a good offense is whatsoever. And, quite frankly, it's boring to watch.

And then there is recruiting. We used to have freshman D-linemen and D-backs who you just couldn't keep off the field. Where are they? I do see Okunola and Scott out there, but I don't hear them being talked up like Weaver and Jones (DE) or Kancey and Twyman (DT) were. And the cornerback situation - I totally get that we have three upperclassmen, two of whom are actually good. But he's always rotated more than this, it seems. I see Crumpley and Gandy out there, but it feels like it's most special teams (or, I'm sure, garbage time against Wofford). And the sheer numbers he's thrown at the CB position in recruiting tell me Mathis and Pinnock aren't exactly on this roster chomping at the bit.

And don't even get me started on offensive recruiting. I still stand behind last year's receiving corps, but given his track record with receiving recruits I don't know why I do. This year's running back class looks good. Offensive line... I thought we were wayyyyyy ahead of where we are. We can't even fill one damn spot between like a dozen guys. And Zubovic might have missed 150 second-level blocks last night. And, oh by the way, this quarterback situation has become a joke. The coaches who can find and develop a good one of those are light years ahead of Narduzzi. Here, if you're good at recruiting/developing QB's, you get ran out of town and have your nuts verbally stomped on in a press conference, because that isn't the 17-13 type of game this head coach longs to play.

Yea I’m now firmly in the out of touch camp. He might have been a good head coach in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era. But his style sucks, and likely limits his recruiting. Tons of games on tv so every kid knows. Those on the offensive side wanna play on an exciting system. Not leather helmet football.

Yea I’m now firmly in the out of touch camp. He might have been a good head coach in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era. But his style sucks, and likely limits his recruiting. Tons of games on tv so every kid knows. Those on the offensive side wanna play on an exciting system. Not leather helmet football.

He's not building a program. He's doing things the way he wants them done and once in a blue moon lucking into a situation where the offense doesn't suck.

I think it’s one of 2 things.

1. The ACC championship will start to payoff soon in recruiting. Be patient.

2. Pat N is using the “ Jeff Capel Model” and is waiting for the 2027 class to really get the program headed in the right direction.

20 wins in 2 years should be starting to get to the rural areas now, get ready

Here’s the thing that I keep coming back to: when the bottom last fell out in 2017, it took us four more years to build the program up and win the ACC in 2021.

Assuming this is going to be a 2-3 win season, are we as a fanbase willing to wait until 2027 to have another great season? Are we fine with a string of 7-5 seasons between now and then? Is the administration OK with that? I wouldn’t think so.

n-aerial-sports-performance-2023.jpg

All they care about

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Bingo. “Rock fight” nailed it. Wanny-esque when Wanny used to punt from the opponent’s 42 for ball position. Always looking to keep the game close. Limiting possessions. Archaic. Need someone who keeps the pedal down - left lane to glory you know? Lol. How can a so-called defensive guru like Duzz not understand what puts stress on a defense?

Interesting the comment from Brown about letting up on the gas in the second half. It was so obvious. UNC could have scored 55, maybe over 60, on us last night without batting an eye. We were lucky we were within 17 points of them at the end. Will we win another game this year? It doesn't look like it. VT at VT is winnable, but we aren't capable of winning at this point. The rest are beyond that.

Bingo. “Rock fight” nailed it. Wanny-esque when Wanny used to punt from the opponent’s 42 for ball position. Always looking to keep the game close. Limiting possessions. Archaic. Need someone who keeps the pedal down - left lane to glory you know? Lol. How can a so-called defensive guru like Duzz not understand what puts stress on a defense?

And if Narduzzi is such a great defensive guru, why did UNC score 41 points on us without even trying and could have scored a lot more if they had tried?

Interesting the comment from Brown about letting up on the gas in the second half. It was so obvious. UNC could have scored 56 on us last night without batting an eye. We were lucky we were within 17 points of them at the end. Will we win another game this year? It doesn't look like it. VT at VT is winnable, but we aren't capable of winning at this point. The rest are beyond that.
I think our best remaining chances at winning are against Virginia Tech and Boston College. Thank goodness we get those two in our pod every year! :oops:

Here’s the thing that I keep coming back to: when the bottom last fell out in 2017, it took us four more years to build the program up and win the ACC in 2021.

Assuming this is going to be a 2-3 win season, are we as a fanbase willing to wait until 2027 to have another great season? Are we fine with a string of 7-5 seasons between now and then? Is the administration OK with that? I wouldn’t think so.
I had a fight with someone on here not long ago that claimed that he and the administration is perfectly happy with 7-5 yearly. Obviously, I disagree and think that’s ludicrous, but that’s truly how some people feel.

I had a fight with someone on here not long ago that claimed that he and the administration is perfectly happy with 7-5 yearly. Obviously, I disagree and think that’s ludicrous, but that’s truly how some people feel.
Yeah, I think the baseline has to be 8-4, at least it was coming into this season. We shouldn’t just settle for making a bowl game. Then again, if we nosedive into a 2-10 finish and next year is more of the same, those expectations would need to be adjusted for a new regime.

I find this analogy strange and unexpected.

Allow me to spell it out: He compared himself and Mumpfield to Waffle House in the offseason. "Always open" was the implication. But, like Century 3 Mall, he is anything but open. Instead of moss and graffiti, he is covered by cornerbacks. He was open maybe twice last night.

Allow me to spell it out: He compared himself and Mumpfield to Waffle House in the offseason. "Always open" was the implication. But, like Century 3 Mall, he is anything but open. Instead of moss and graffiti, he is covered by cornerbacks. He was open maybe twice last night.
Makes sense with that context. Either didn't know or didn't remember that he compared himself to Waffle House in that manner.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

7-5 got both Wanny & Walt fired. Same will happen to Narduzzi, but he has built up some good will with back to back rankings, and an outright P5 conference championship, something the cast of average coaches that proceeded him failed to do. So it might take a few more than just one bad season

I can potentially see a come to Jesus meeting with Heather if the wheels fall off and we have the first season with under 5 wins since 1998. A major enema of the staff; Cignetti, Underwood, etc. I think he would do it, similar to Brian Kelly. Sometimes this helps, but most time it just delays the inevitable.

We know the Steelers have obsolete offense pushed on them by their owner, but why is Pitt always stuck with the backwards obsolete, pound the rock GARBAGE? is it always mandatory within Allegheny County?

We know the Steelers have obsolete offense pushed on them by their owner, but why is Pitt always stuck with the backwards obsolete, pound the rock GARBAGE? is it always mandatory within Allegheny County?
We'll always have the season of high octane football.

• Haha
Reactions: cbpitt2

Tomlin and Narduzzi might actually be onto something. They both want to play these physical, simplified, shortened games. Both have been employeed a long time and made a lot of money doing it.

Why risk opening it up and not being able to control the games and keep them within their comfort zones? Sure, we'll never win big this way. But they've figured out the formula: Win just enough; don't take risks; sign that next extension.

Reactions: Pitt79
Heading into 2023 Year 9, I was a huge PN fan. Safe to say that that is dwindling by the week now. 2021 likely would’ve been another 7-5 season without KP. I still think he’s done well for Pitt so I’ll stay patient.

He publicly bashes his former OC’s that actually produced.

You mean the head coach. Tomlin is afraid of the QB turning over the ball because he wants to play close defensive games. It's why they refuse to throw over the middle.

We'll always have the season of high octane football.
Who knows? Maybe that could have worked out given time. Not saying Graham was a great football mind, But Narduzzi'z offensive mindset and knowledge is like 1972 level.

You mean the head coach. Tomlin is afraid of the QB turning over the ball because he wants to play close defensive games. It's why they refuse to throw over the middle.
I'm sure he's complicit, probably why he was selected by Rooney, who every year does interviews where he talks about returning to MORE RUNNING AND BALL CONTROL.

Tomlin and Narduzzi might actually be onto something. They both want to play these physical, simplified, shortened games. Both have been employeed a long time and made a lot of money doing it.

Why risk opening it up and not being able to control the games and keep them within their comfort zones? Sure, we'll never win big this way. But they've figured out the formula: Win just enough; don't take risks; sign that next extension.
7-5, 9-8 ANOTHER WINNING SEASON :)

Narduzzi might not get that winning season this year.

I'm sure he's complicit, probably why he was selected by Rooney, who every year does interviews where he talks about returning to MORE RUNNING AND BALL CONTROL.
Harris and Warren have combined for 25 carries this season. Don't make too much out of Rooney's comments.

I think you’re placing way too much weight on what Rooney says in some random interviews. Rather, I’d say the Steelers offense you’re seeing is dictated predominantly by Tomlin and Canada, I highly doubt Tomlin gives a seconds worth of consideration to any of Rooney’s musings about the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT