ADVERTISEMENT

Worst possible time for the program to flounder

You folks are overreacting and reacting prematurely. Number one, the courts are NOT done with having a say…err… dictating how this will all flush out. Number two, never underestimate the power of greed. You think Georgia and Ohio State will always be OK with sharing a revenue stream with the Vanderbilts, Rutgers and North Westerns of the world?? ROFL

And finally, for those who are old enough to remember the lawsuits and drama over the CFA in the late 70s/early 80s, where the CFA argued (successfully in court, I might add) that TV rights belong to the individual members. Nothing has changed legally.

Is it next month, next year? Who knows… but we are one more court decision away from chaos and musical chairs. And it won’t matter WHAT “conference” one is affiliated with. Expect chaos.

Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Iowa State, and Kansas are in the Big 12. There is a 100% chance that Pitt will be also if they wanted to be. This is a promise. Cincinnati and Houston arent going to be in a better league than Pitt. They'd kick schools out to add Pitt if it came down to it.

But again, the more likely scenario is that the ACC will pre-emptively add B12 schools before FSU and Clemson and others leave.
😂 Timing is everything. Not too many years ago you would have said "no way Rutgers will be in a better league than Pitt". And, tell me the first or the last time you saw a league kick out an existing member. Lastly, even muttering that Pitt might be more attractive to the B12 than Iowa State or Kansas is beyond laughable.

You'd just better hope your administration isn't as overly confident as you. if they are, they will very likely find themselves in Conference USA within a few years.

Back in 2020, I made a post saying the next 4-5 years were some of the most important years in Pitt athletics history. I correctly predicted that there’d be massive realignment and we’d inch closer towards a CFB Super League. With that in mind, it’d be imperative that we succeeded in football- and basketball- in order to position ourselves to land a spot while we had momentum.

It looked like we were headed that way after 2021, and even followed it up with the 2022 season… then it all came crashing down. I know there’s more (i.e., institutional alignment) that goes into realignment decisions, but this is the worst possible time to have the sharpest drop off since the 90s.

At this point, I still hope (and think) we can land a Big 12 invite. But we need to do better! I’m holding onto optimism that today is just a bump in the road and we’ll show signs of progress come August with the new offense.
lol yeah you predicted that 😂 more like everyone and their mother saw cfb landscape changing in 2020

If Pitt ends up in a new Big East where all the football schools are better known for hoops, then I am taking suggestions for a new school to follow.

We are a football school first. Regardless of what basketball can be.

I would MUCH rather be aligned with football schools, whether from the plains of West Texas or the hills of West Virginia, then being in essentially the same spot we are in on our current basketball first league.

If Pitt ends up in a new Big East where all the football schools are better known for hoops, then I am taking suggestions for a new school to follow.

I would MUCH rather be aligned with football schools, whether from the plains of West Texas or the hills of West Virginia, then being in essentially the same spot we are in on our current basketball first league.

I always used to like USC and Miami, but with their recent shenanigans I can't even have them as a "secondary" program. Really tough to pick another one these days, they are all pretty much equally sleazy. How about whoever is playing Penn State that week?

I would also suggest that Notre Dame staying independent may not be as appealing as many think. If any ACC school wants to remain relevant, pay the Irish. It sucks. But no alternative is better.

If ND joins the ACC they have not 1, not 2, but 3 paths to the CFP. They would essentially be in every year. I would also be Proactive and bring in Navy.

Every school that wishes to be relevant should open the checkbook and throw cash in the pot. FSU and Clemson would get far more benefit in paying Notre Dame than they would paying lawyers to leave.

ND can save this league, and even the holier than thou golden domers have a price.

Did you follow Pitt football when we were in the Big East?

Well it all started when we relied on a QB who couldn't freakin throw a football!

The QB room was a dumpster fire, but that alone shouldn't get you to 3-9.

If you're going to have an offense that is run oriented, it helps if you can actually run the ball. And if the staple of your defense is stopping the run, it helps if you can... well, stop the run.

Should we discuss special teams?

The QB room was a dumpster fire, but that alone shouldn't get you to 3-9.

If you're going to have an offense that is run oriented, it helps if you can actually run the ball. And if the staple of your defense is stopping the run, it helps if you can... well, stop the run.

Should we discuss special teams?

that Syracuse game with the converted tight end torching the defense stands out as particularly bad. Also getting jobbed at Wake didn't help, but it would have been nice if the defense made the stop in that situation. Narduzzi gets a mulligan for winning the ACC but last year was almost as bad as a Majors 2/Hackett season. Have to show some progress this year, anything less than 6-6 and that seat has to be red hot next year.

Reactions: FireballZ
that Syracuse game with the converted tight end torching the defense stands out as particularly bad. Also getting jobbed at Wake didn't help, but it would have been nice if the defense made the stop in that situation. Narduzzi gets a mulligan for winning the ACC but last year was almost as bad as a Majors 2/Hackett season. Have to show some progress this year, anything less than 6-6 and that seat has to be red hot next year.

I think 2025 is going to be his last season. Going to be really difficult to go 6-6 this season. So you figure if he goes 5-7 and then even 6-6, that would be 3-9, 5-7, 6-6, the worst 3 year stretch since Majors 2 and no signs it will get any better (assuming recruiting doesnt pick up).

Back in 2020, I made a post saying the next 4-5 years were some of the most important years in Pitt athletics history. I correctly predicted that there’d be massive realignment and we’d inch closer towards a CFB Super League. With that in mind, it’d be imperative that we succeeded in football- and basketball- in order to position ourselves to land a spot while we had momentum.

It looked like we were headed that way after 2021, and even followed it up with the 2022 season… then it all came crashing down. I know there’s more (i.e., institutional alignment) that goes into realignment decisions, but this is the worst possible time to have the sharpest drop off since the 90s.

At this point, I still hope (and think) we can land a Big 12 invite. But we need to do better! I’m holding onto optimism that today is just a bump in the road and we’ll show signs of progress come August with the new offense.
I remember when the changes were happening in 2021. I was even more nervous that season each game because I knew we had to win because it would probably be our last real chance given all the changes. I remember hearing an interview from Kenny Pickett right after that season where he said it was going to ruin college football. He was so right.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Iowa State, and Kansas are in the Big 12. There is a 100% chance that Pitt will be also if they wanted to be. This is a promise. Cincinnati and Houston arent going to be in a better league than Pitt. They'd kick schools out to add Pitt if it came down to it.

But again, the more likely scenario is that the ACC will pre-emptively add B12 schools before FSU and Clemson and others leave.
I disagree with the first paragraph, and somewhat agree with the second.

If TV markets are a thing - doesn’t WVU already provide Pitt’s market? Is it redundant to add Pitt for the Big12?
There’s a real possibility that Pitt has no place to go, simply because of the timing of everything, and their proximity to other schools already locked in. For instance, Pitt went to the ACC in what seemed like a no-brainer at the time, and WVU begrudgingly went the the Big12 cuz it’s the best they could do. Now WVU is in a more stable situation.

That said, it really all depends on who’s left standing in the ACC. Would it make more sense for WVU, Cincy and UCF to join the ACC if it still had a halfway decent core? Probably. But that’s a big IF.. They’d love not to travel as much - financially it would help with that regard. But then they’d have to travel to California once a year still..

The ACC dropped the ball by not adding UCF, WVU and Cincy years ago. Imagine if they were a part of the ACC right now instead of Cal, Stanford and SMU. I think we’d all be feeling a lot more stable. What a mess.

Reactions: Manster

That Syracuse is the most difficult watch in years. Bludgeoned by a mediocre Cuse team, while our offense melted down into a complete shit show.

God almighty. I had put that converted tight end Syracuse game out of my mind with a strict regimen of bourbon and swift kicks in the nuts.

Thank you for bringing it up again.

If TV markets are a thing - doesn’t WVU already provide Pitt’s market? Is it redundant to add Pitt for the Big12?
There’s a real possibility that Pitt has no place to go, simply because of the timing of everything, and their proximity to other schools already locked in. For instance, Pitt went to the ACC in what seemed like a no-brainer at the time, and WVU begrudgingly went the the Big12 cuz it’s the best they could do. Now WVU is in a more stable situation.

That said, it really all depends on who’s left standing in the ACC. Would it make more sense for WVU, Cincy and UCF to join the ACC if it still had a halfway decent core? Probably. But that’s a big IF.. They’d love not to travel as much - financially it would help with that regard. But then they’d have to travel to California once a year still..

The ACC dropped the ball by not adding UCF, WVU and Cincy years ago. Imagine if they were a part of the ACC right now instead of Cal, Stanford and SMU. I think we’d all be feeling a lot more stable. What a mess.

No. Good Lord, WVU doesn't bring the Pittsburgh TV market! It delivers the West Virginia TV market and has a small pocket of fans in Pittsburgh, about the same as Ohio State. Even if it did deliver the Pittsburgh TV market, the Big 12 loves duplicate TV markets. BYI/Utah, Az/ASU, Kan/KSt. Baylor/TCU 88 miles apart.

And had the ACC added WVU and UCF years ago, it would be in the exact same position it is now. Are you kidding?

Listen, I know you WVU fans have this fantasy of the ACC crumbling and Pitt being left behind but I am telling you that we arent worried. The Big 12 is a trash league full of misfit community colleges. Pitt can join that league at any time if they wanted.

Reactions: pitt_134
Cal and Stanford went to the ACC on a half shares because they were the only ones that would have them…despite their academic prowess. Apparently you are unaware of their draw and TV output. Your known for your personal need for confirmation but I’d advise to drop the superiority charade. It might be self soothing but it’s gonna bite you.
Cal and Standford actually had no interest in the B12.

Nor does anyone in the ACC.

The only way ACC teams go to the B12 is if the ACC loses the bulk of its membership. That is far from a foregone conclusion. It is just, if not more likely, that a critical mass of the ACC remains together and picks off B12 schools, if it wants any of them, when the B12 contract is up.

Reactions: pittdan77

WVU is in no way in a more stable situation. The Big 12 is only "stable" because no conference ahead of them on the pecking order has any real interest in any of their current members. Financially, under the current conditions, it will be in a distant 4th place. It faces the same issue as Pitt: defacto relegation.

Adding UCF, WVU, and Cincy wouldn't have done anything to help the ACC, other than adding a cadre of bloggers vomiting forth an unstoppable barrage of ridiculous B12 propaganda.

Cal, Stanford, and SMU are all better additions.

Last edited:
No. Good Lord, WVU doesn't bring the Pittsburgh TV market! It delivers the West Virginia TV market and has a small pocket of fans in Pittsburgh, about the same as Ohio State. Even if it did deliver the Pittsburgh TV market, the Big 12 loves duplicate TV markets. BYI/Utah, Az/ASU, Kan/KSt. Baylor/TCU 88 miles apart.

And had the ACC added WVU and UCF years ago, it would be in the exact same position it is now. Are you kidding?

Listen, I know you WVU fans have this fantasy of the ACC crumbling and Pitt being left behind but I am telling you that we arent worried. The Big 12 is a trash league full of misfit community colleges. Pitt can join that league at any time if they wanted.
What the hell did the Cal poster call the Big 12? Truck Stop Community Colleges? Or something like that.

Reactions: USN_Panther
What the hell did the Cal poster call the Big 12? Truck Stop Community Colleges? Or something like that.
Snobbery or not, Cal and Stanford were never going to join the B12. If they weren't going to the ACC, they would have tried rebuilding the Pac with WSU and OSU. The B12 was never seen as an option for them.

And that snobbery is going to be an advantage to keep the ACC together if or when it loses FSU and Clemson. They key will be who else it loses, and that is going to depend greatly on UNC and UVA. There is no foregone conclusion yet, and it is foolish to make one with how much pending litigation there is and how quickly things are changing. Not that anyone should bury their head in the sand with regards to not already being in the B10 or SEC.

The ACC added the two biggest states in the union, unarguably two of the biggest institutional brands in all of higher education, and got all 3 for a major discount. It was as good as a move as the ACC could make, and that it was pushed through over the strenuous objections of a couple teams no longer committed to the conference was a credit to its leadership.

Last edited:
???
When the top 3 of the ACC leave (Clemson, FSU, and UNC), you guys are telling me you’ll be happier having Cal, Stanford and SMU as the replacements than if we had WVU, Cincy and UCF?

You think the ACC will get paid more cuz of those west coast teams than they would with the other 3? And it’ll be so much more than it’ll be well worth not having a couple traditional/regional rivals built into the schedule?

• Haha
What entertains me the most about the Big 12 goofballs is that if Cal and Stanford had accepted their overtures to join the Big 12, we would have been subject to endless chest thumping about how big it was for the conference to add them and how much value they would bring to the Big 12. Instead, it’s just another disaster for the ACC. It’s comical.

But yes. Cal, Stanford, and SMU (though SMU is the closest call) are better adds than UCF, Cincinnati and WVU. I’d probably rank them, in order, as (1) Stanford, (2) Cal, then a large gap, then a close call between (3) Cincinnati and (4) SMU, then (5) WVU, and (6) UCF.

What entertains me the most about the Big 12 goofballs is that if Cal and Stanford had accepted their overtures to join the Big 12, we would have been subject to endless chest thumping about how big it was for the conference to add them and how much value they would bring to the Big 12. Instead, it’s just another disaster for the ACC. It’s comical.

But yes. Cal, Stanford, and SMU (though SMU is the closest call) are better adds than UCF, Cincinnati and WVU. I’d probably rank them, in order, as (1) Stanford, (2) Cal, then a large gap, then a close call between (3) Cincinnati and (4) SMU, then (5) WVU, and (6) UCF.
Well, Peak said recently on YouTube that Pitt should absolutely be getting its pitch ready for the Big12 if/when the time comes.. so at the very least, this is not a far-fetched thought that should be dismissed.

Bottom line is I’m holding onto a thread of hope that everything gets blown up and reset, otherwise we’re likely not gonna have a great option.

Reactions: ThePanthers
???
When the top 3 of the ACC leave (Clemson, FSU, and UNC), you guys are telling me you’ll be happier having Cal, Stanford and SMU as the replacements than if we had WVU, Cincy and UCF?

You think the ACC will get paid more cuz of those west coast teams than they would with the other 3? And it’ll be so much more than it’ll be well worth not having a couple traditional/regional rivals built into the schedule?
Yes. In Math Bowls.

I am sorry, hate them or not, there is no friggin way, shape, measure whatever where those schools are a "better add" than WVU. Not shilling WVU but let's be honest. They are much more serious about football than who we added. This isn't about Quiz Bowl.

Also......adding WVU gives you the Backyard Brawl in football and basketball. The football version is valuable "material", much moreso than say Stanford/Wake Forest.
WVU also has natural rivalry with Va Tech. And even Syracuse, Louisville and BC. And are proximate to the Carolina Schools, and UVa.

I am sorry, hate them or not, there is no friggin way, shape, measure whatever where those schools are a "better add" than WVU. Not shilling WVU but let's be honest. They are much more serious about football than who we added. This isn't about Quiz Bowl.

Also......adding WVU gives you the Backyard Brawl in football and basketball. The football version is valuable "material", much moreso than say Stanford/Wake Forest.
WVU also has natural rivalry with Va Tech. And even Syracuse, Louisville and BC. And are proximate to the Carolina Schools, and UVa.

Even if WVU was available, they would have taken Cal/Stanford. People forget but there was thought that Cal/Stanford would end up in the Big Ten or at least one of them. The Bay Area TV market and recruiting area is crazy good and dont say TV markets don't matter. They do. I realize Cal & Stan's TV numbers are very low right now but they arent good. Stanford was a Top 5 team 10 years ago. WVU may have been picked over SMU.

Well, Peak said recently on YouTube that Pitt should absolutely be getting its pitch ready for the Big12 if/when the time comes.. so at the very least, this is not a far-fetched thought that should be dismissed.

Bottom line is I’m holding onto a thread of hope that everything gets blown up and reset, otherwise we’re likely not gonna have a great option.

Not a chance. Pitt gives the Big 12 a program more historic than any in their league and the best rivalry from Day 1 with another potential rivalry (Pitt/Cincy). Just no chance the Truck Stop league leaves Pitt out

That Cal poster was one of their more active alums. Of course he could be lying but I went over to the Cal board and he does seem to travel with the team. Anyway, he said Cal & Stanford never considered the Big 12 and that Stanford was prepared to go Independent. Did say that Cal was probably going to follow Stanford so if Stanford joined the B12 or MWC, Cal probably would have.

I'd go WVU, Cincy, Cal/Standford (just because of geography, if closer I'd switch with Cincy), then a gap, then SMU and finally UCF as who I'd rather of had.

This. If Pitt was included in the secret meetings with the 7 ACC schools (FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, NC State, VT, and Miami), then I'd feel a little better that even if FSU/Clemson left, and the ACC reformed with a mix of Big XII teams, but that Pitt was excluded does not make me feel comfortable that it should be a foregone conclusion Pitt will in the "third conference" outside the BIG/SEC.

Honestly, I hope the BIG/SEC biggest brands jump ship in a way, and we can reform with Purdue, Minnesota, Miss State, Indiania, some ACC schools and some Big XII schools in a third/fourth conference or subleague, but that may be a ways off.

• Haha
This. If Pitt was included in the secret meetings with the 7 ACC schools (FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, NC State, VT, and Miami), then I'd feel a little better that even if FSU/Clemson left, and the ACC reformed with a mix of Big XII teams, but that Pitt was excluded does not make me feel comfortable that it should be a foregone conclusion Pitt will in the "third conference" outside the BIG/SEC.

Honestly, I hope the BIG/SEC biggest brands jump ship in a way, and we can reform with Purdue, Minnesota, Miss State, Indiania, some ACC schools and some Big XII schools in a third/fourth conference or subleague, but that may be a ways off.

Those 7 schools have likely B10/SEC spots. That's why they met. There's a slight chance Pitt can get in like a 22 or 24 team SEC but probably not. And 0 chance they'd ever get in the B10. Those 7 are mostly OK with the ACC disbanding because they have spots.

Pitt's best hopes are:

1. The ACC to win these lawsuits and stay intact until 2036 and pre-emptively picking off the biggest brands in the Big 12 in a few years when their TV contract is up, assuming the Big 12 gets Pac 12 type TV offers. Saw a funny thing on social media where the Big 12 canceled its Kansas vs Houston basketball game in Mexico City and some fan replied "how about you get the Big 12 on TV instead of ESPN+ before worrying about playing in Mexico." I dont think people realize that most B12 games arent on TV. They are on a paid streaming subscription service.

2. The longshot hope is an expanded SEC.

WVU only is better from geographic travel sense. Otherwise, it does nothing for the ACC.

You think WVU/Wake is more valuable than Stanford/Wake? Both are equally not valuable.

Stanford vs Cal is way more valuable than WVU vs VT, and the ACC already has half of the Brawl.

Reactions: pittdan77

Yeah, sorry, Peak is just like every other blogger and speculator on this. He has no idea what will happen and who will actually leave the ACC.

If half the ACC leaves, that is way different than just FSU and Clemson leaving. Are there slots for all of these teams? And the timing of what will happen (i.e. how much it is going to cost to leave) is likely going to be determined by the courts.

WVU only is better from geographic travel sense. Otherwise, it does nothing for the ACC.

You think WVU/Wake is more valuable than Stanford/Wake? Both are equally not valuable.

Stanford vs Cal is way more valuable than WVU vs VT, and the ACC already has half of the Brawl.
Sorry Chico, you are wrong here.

And again, this is not Quiz Bowl.
Wow, clever.

Here'$ the reality for the way the ACC is currently construed. Because this is ALL about closing the $ gap as much as possible.

ACC Network in-state rate per cable/satellite provider $1.30 per month vs out-of-state rate of $0.25 per month.

Approximate number of cable and satellite household subscribers in
California: 6.1 million
Texas: 4.6 million
West Virginia: 0.3 million

Do the math.

Edited, bad cable/satellite numbers from a bad website...adjusted to 46% of total household number. Same idea applies though.

Last edited:

I absolutely think SMU is a better add for the conference than WVU given the money they are investing in FB/BB.

So, indirectly better for Pitt via ACC revenue sharing, given I think SMU will be successful, but maybe not better directly via stadium revenue every other year for fans that care about the game with WVU.

I am originally from Eastern PA and often wonder what % of alum from outside of the Pittsburgh area actually care about the WVU rivalry. I know that I never have, mainly because growing up, I don't know anyone that went to WVU, whereas that is probably much more common for Western PA originating students. Hell, I am about to golf with a WVU alumni this afternoon. He's constantly talking shit about Pitt and it kills him that it just rolls right off my back. WVU is about as much of a rival in my mind as Maryland.

I absolutely think SMU is a better add for the conference than WVU given the money they are investing in FB/BB.

So, indirectly better for Pitt via ACC revenue sharing, given I think SMU will be successful, but maybe not better directly via stadium revenue every other year for fans that care about the game with WVU.

I am originally from Eastern PA and often wonder what % of alum from outside of the Pittsburgh area actually care about the WVU rivalry. I know that I never have, mainly because growing up, I don't know anyone that went to WVU, whereas that is probably much more common for Western PA originating students. Hell, I am about to golf with a WVU alumni this afternoon. He's constantly talking shit about Pitt and it kills him that it just rolls right off my back. WVU is about as much of a rival in my mind as Maryland.
Pitt can, and is currently scheduled to play WVU every year without WVU being in the ACC, so I'm not sure how there is any difference to Pitt.

Wow, clever.

Here'$ the reality for the way the ACC is currently construed. Because this is ALL about closing the $ gap as much as possible.

ACC Network in-state rate per cable/satellite provider $1.30 per month vs out-of-state rate of $0.25 per month.

Approximate number of cable and satellite household subscribers in
California: 6.1 million
Texas: 4.6 million
West Virginia: 0.3 million

Do the math.

Edited, bad cable/satellite numbers from a bad website...adjusted to 46% of total household number. Same idea applies though.
Hmmmm....

WVU/Baylor in Week 12 drew a 0.25 rating, 650K viewers. Stanford/Cal was not in the top 30

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT