ADVERTISEMENT

91,000 at Womens’ Champions League Quarterfinal Match

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
At the Camp Nou in Barcelona today. Barca best Real Madrid 5-2 to win the tie 8-3. Amazing atmosphere watching in You Tube and more amazing in person according to my Romanian Twitter friend who was there.

91,000 to watch a woman’s match is unprecedented. The Barca women play beautiful attacking soccer, as do many other European clubs like Arsenal and Wolfsburg. Now I just have to convince Masha to go to the semifinal.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
At the Camp Nou in Barcelona today. Barca best Real Madrid 5-2 to win the tie 8-3. Amazing atmosphere watching in You Tube and more amazing in person according to my Romanian Twitter friend who was there.

91,000 to watch a woman’s match is unprecedented. The Barca women play beautiful attacking soccer, as do many other European clubs like Arsenal and Wolfsburg. Now I just have to convince Masha to go to the semifinal.
Arsenal. Lol.

They should make just as much as the Barcelona men now.

• Haha

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a

Do you think the names RM and Barca made it such a big draw? Like female El Clasico? Or what if it was two other Spanish teams but not either of those two?

Do you think the names RM and Barca made it such a big draw? Like female El Clasico? Or what if it was two other Spanish teams but not either of those two?
Absolutely. If I were a fan of either of those clubs and lived there, I’d be supporting the women too.

Absolutely. If I were a fan of either of those clubs and lived there, I’d be supporting the women too.
Sure, but my question is more like, is the attendance driven by the fact that it's these PARTICULAR two teams? if it was Betis vs Atletico Madrid Women's Final I doubt there would be that many fans.

I guess my point is that these are 2 of the biggest clubs in the world. Arguably the two biggest clubs, and they are rivals obviously. So they are going to fill stadiums. Currently Barcelona is the best womens team in the world. Last year they beat the #2 team in the world (Chelsea) 6-0 in the Champions League final. In that league, it’s them and everyone else. Real Madrid sits like 30 points behind them in the standings. No other club is going to help Barcelona fill a stadium. Only those two playing each other could do something like that in a a domestic match.

Damn. I just saw Barcelona just sold out Camp Nou for their upcoming match vs Wolfsburg. That’s amazing.

Masha and I are among those who missed out on tickets for the semis. It never occurred to me that they would sell out so quickly.

Their La Liga matches are played at the Cruyff stadium which holds 15,000, so we will go to one of those matches instead. Or, I will bite the bullet and pay scalper prices for the semis.

Sure, but my question is more like, is the attendance driven by the fact that it's these PARTICULAR two teams? if it was Betis vs Atletico Madrid Women's Final I doubt there would be that many fans.
Back to the Real Madrid/Barcelona thing. Twitter is often used as an indication of popularity worldwide. RM and Barca have 41 million followers worldwide. As a comparison, the next 2 clubs worldwide would be Man U and Chelsea at around 22 million followers. Next would be Man City with 12 million. Other top clubs like PSG and Juventus/Milan aren’t even close and have 1-3 million followers. The Patriots have 4.6 million followers, the cowboys have 4 million, and the Steelers have 3.6 million.

so my point is that clubs like Barca have fans that are starved for whatever product they put out. And because their womens team is as dominant at the Club level as our USWNT are at the international level, they’re gonna draw huge numbers for huge matches.

so my point is that clubs like Barca have fans that are starved for whatever product they put out. And because their womens team is as dominant at the Club level as our USWNT are at the international level, they’re gonna draw huge numbers for huge matches.
Just asking, because I don't know. Do a lot of our women play in these Euro Leagues since they are the best? Since our women are the best, can NWSL teams beat Euro teams like RM and Barca?

Just asking, because I don't know. Do a lot of our women play in these Euro Leagues since they are the best? Since our women are the best, can NWSL teams beat Euro teams like RM and Barca?
A lot of them have dabbled in Europe but most play in NWSL. Not sure but I think Tobin Heath still plays at Arsenal. Alex Morgan played for Lille I believe.

And as for the top players in the world, I pulled this article. 6 of the top 15 players play for Barcelona, 4 play for Chelsea, 2 play for Lyon and 2 for PSG. The highest ranked NWSL player is Canada’s Sinclair, who is ranked 18th and plays for Portland. The USA’s highest ranked player is Sam Mewis at #20. She plays for NC Courage. The source for this article is The Guardian. They could have a bias, but it gives you a good idea.

And as for the top players in the world, I pulled this article. 6 of the top 15 players play for Barcelona, 4 play for Chelsea, 2 play for Lyon and 2 for PSG. The highest ranked NWSL player is Canada’s Sinclair, who is ranked 18th and plays for Portland. The USA’s highest ranked player is Sam Mewis at #20. She plays for NC Courage. The source for this article is The Guardian. They could have a bias, but it gives you a good idea.

All lists like that are obviously just opinions, but that list is extraordinarily silly. According to that list if you made up a list of the American players and the Spanish players seven of the first eight players on the list (and all of the top five) would be Spanish. And yet somehow Spain is currently only ranked 7th in the world, and if Spain and the US were playing a meaningful game tomorrow the Americans would be the favorites. Not that Spain couldn't win, but if they did it would absolutely be an upset.

Reactions: Pitt79
All lists like that are obviously just opinions, but that list is extraordinarily silly. According to that list if you made up a list of the American players and the Spanish players seven of the first eight players on the list (and all of the top five) would be Spanish. And yet somehow Spain is currently only ranked 7th in the world, and if Spain and the US were playing a meaningful game tomorrow the Americans would be the favorites. Not that Spain couldn't win, but if they did it would absolutely be an upset.
Yeah. But the other just as recent lists I saw had Rapinoe as the #1 player in the world. So it made me wonder, does anyone k ow what the hell they are talking about with Womens soccer?

few american athletes can handle the life in Europe no matter the sport. It’s a tough gig especially if you want to have a family. There’s a lot of comfort in knowing no matter where you are in the US, its home. Many become homesick very quickly.

Reason #1000 why I love ESPN+…

just watched Chelsea Women dominate Arsenal in the Women’s FA Cup semifinal. This Chelsea team has had a tough year, with key players going down at key moments of the year (pregnancy, Covid, Rare health disorders). So they lost in the Champions League Qtrfinal to Wolfsburg After dominating them in the 1st leg when at full strength. I hope Chelsea’s new owners (presumably Americans) maintain the same commitment to the womens game.

btw…Tobin Heath played well for Arsenal. But Chelsea held Arsenal to 0 shots on goal. That said, Arsenal is only a point behind Chelsea in the league table so if Chelsea stumbles in the last month of the season, Arsenal could win the league.

in the FA Cup final it will be Chelsea vs Man City. Go figure. If it wasn’t for USA’s Zach Steffen on the mens side, maybe Man City would have beat Liverpool yesterday and their men would be in the Final too.

now I’ll be enjoying my Easter Sunday with a couple Bloody Mary’s and watching the Chelsea men play at Wembley in the mens semifinal at 11:30 on ESPN+

Reason #1000 why I love ESPN+…

just watched Chelsea Women dominate Arsenal in the Women’s FA Cup semifinal. This Chelsea team has had a tough year, with key players going down at key moments of the year (pregnancy, Covid, Rare health disorders). So they lost in the Champions League Qtrfinal to Wolfsburg After dominating them in the 1st leg when at full strength. I hope Chelsea’s new owners (presumably Americans) maintain the same commitment to the womens game.

btw…Tobin Heath played well for Arsenal. But Chelsea held Arsenal to 0 shots on goal. That said, Arsenal is only a point behind Chelsea in the league table so if Chelsea stumbles in the last month of the season, Arsenal could win the league.

in the FA Cup final it will be Chelsea vs Man City. Go figure. If it wasn’t for USA’s Zach Steffen on the mens side, maybe Man City would have beat Liverpool yesterday and their men would be in the Final too.

now I’ll be enjoying my Easter Sunday with a couple Bloody Mary’s and watching the Chelsea men play at Wembley in the mens semifinal at 11:30 on ESPN+
I can watch soccer all day, bloody Mary’s on the other hand, can’t stand them. Never quite understood bloody Mary’s. Worked out this morning finally getting to watch MU and Ronaldo’s hat trick. I’m smoking some wings and will be watching more soccer. Do you think ESPN camera work is a bit off, I watched the other day and it seemed like a poor angle.

I can watch soccer all day, bloody Mary’s on the other hand, can’t stand them. Never quite understood bloody Mary’s. Worked out this morning finally getting to watch MU and Ronaldo’s hat trick. I’m smoking some wings and will be watching more soccer. Do you think ESPN camera work is a bit off, I watched the other day and it seemed like a poor angle.
I didn’t notice. I’m guessing ESPN is using a feed provided by someone else. But I can’t stand the ESPN presentation. I can’t stand Taylor twellman. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room and his color commentary is difficult to take.

Yeah. But the other just as recent lists I saw had Rapinoe as the #1 player in the world. So it made me wonder, does anyone k ow what the hell they are talking about with Womens soccer?

I think it's probably just really hard to know and compare the difference between what's going on in Europe versus what's going on in the US (and really, everywhere in this hemisphere). In the men's game it doesn't make as much difference, because it is so rare for someone playing in MLS or Liga MX or the Brasileirao or the Argentine Primera to be good enough to be in the top 20 or 50 or even 100. So in the men's game if you know the best players playing in Europe that's good enough, but in the women's game that isn't even close to being good enough.

I didn’t notice. I’m guessing ESPN is using a feed provided by someone else. But I can’t stand the ESPN presentation. I can’t stand Taylor twellman. He thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room and his color commentary is difficult to take.
I’m pretty sure there is one shared feed for all the matches. Much of the time, the British commentators will be in the press box, but pretty much everyone else is broadcasting remotely from that one feed. I remember a few years back when Ray Hudson did El Clasico, BEIN sent him to Barcelona a few days before the match and he did a string of reports in the days leading up to the match. That’s the only time I know of that he left the Miami studio.

Some of the networks do have facilities to show replays from the live feed; others don’t. I remember watching the El Clasico where Pepi deliberately stepped on Messi’s hand and the Arabic station I was watching didn’t have replays, so we never saw a closeup of what happened. Of course, after the match was over there were 100 replays shown everywhere.

By the way, the first leg of the Barca v Wolfsburg WCL semifinal “sold out” in less than 24 hours. 92,000 tickets. I put quotes around it because there still are some ridiculously expensive VIP packages available on the Barca website.

I’m pretty sure there is one shared feed for all the matches. Much of the time, the British commentators will be in the press box, but pretty much everyone else is broadcasting remotely from that one feed. I remember a few years back when Ray Hudson did El Clasico, BEIN sent him to Barcelona a few days before the match and he did a string of reports in the days leading up to the match. That’s the only time I know of that he left the Miami studio.

Some of the networks do have facilities to show replays from the live feed; others don’t. I remember watching the El Clasico where Pepi deliberately stepped on Messi’s hand and the Arabic station I was watching didn’t have replays, so we never saw a closeup of what happened. Of course, after the match was over there were 100 replays shown everywhere.
Thankfully Twellman isn’t in a studio today doing the color.

If ever there was an example of that, it was the international window two weeks ago. When the USA was away, it was obvious CBS had their booth people who called the game sitting in a living room studio somewhere. It really made the game a snooze fest. Then when they went to Orlando for a home match it was electric. CBS simply couldn’t get the audio in the stadium right and it sounded distant.

Will Lukaku play another minute for Chelsea?

update: Lukaku gets minutes.
Havertz and Mount are the only players in the attack who have been allowed to play through periods of rough form. They are essentially full time starters Chelsea.

I’ve made up my mind. I want Pulisic to move on to a place like Liverpool. And I want Werner and Lukaku to stay. I think those two playing off each other can be really good. As with anyone at Chelsea, they need to have a long run of games to find their form. Give Lukaku and Werner 6 straight games together and I think they could be lethal.

Havertz and Mount are the only players in the attack who have been allowed to play through periods of rough form. They are essentially full time starters Chelsea.

I’ve made up my mind. I want Pulisic to move on to a place like Liverpool. And I want Werner and Lukaku to stay. I think those two playing off each other can be really good. As with anyone at Chelsea, they need to have a long run of games to find their form. Give Lukaku and Werner 6 straight games together and I think they could be lethal.
Lukaku will be back in Italy this summer.

A lot of them have dabbled in Europe but most play in NWSL. Not sure but I think Tobin Heath still plays at Arsenal. Alex Morgan played for Lille I believe.

So the USAWNT has been dominant, the best in the world, multiple WCs and the best player they have is 20th best in the world? NONE of the top 19 women's players are American? That doesn't sound right?

So the USAWNT has been dominant, the best in the world, multiple WCs and the best player they have is 20th best in the world? NONE of the top 19 women's players are American? That doesn't sound right?
Well they don’t have a player like Sam Kerr, let’s put it that way. I think the US is going through a transitional period right now with pkayers like Morgan, Lloyd and Rapinoe on their way out. Frankly I think we stayed with them for one cycle too long. It’s time for someone else to make a name for themselves on the world stage.

I want Pulisic to move on to a place like Liverpool.

I agree, he has to get out of there. He has one bad game and he sits. Sometimes he has a good game and he sits. And he watches a couple of those guys who have played miserably most of the season get chance after chance after chance. It's obvious that Tuchel just doesn't fancy him.

Go somewhere else where you can be better appreciated.

She wasn’t in the Arsenal squad for their last game and I wondered why.

now this.

What’s the real reason? Heavy warn legs, misses home, or something else?
She’s injured, the seasons almost over, and she was on a one year deal I believe. It’s not really shocking. Most of our gals play domestically.

She’s injured, the seasons almost over, and she was on a one year deal I believe. It’s not really shocking. Most of our gals play domestically.
I had read something about injuries. I imagine she will return to US and finish out her career in the next few years. She’s 33 and maybe pull of a few more years. From here on out these guys can kill it doing endorsements, camps, speaking engagements, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT