ADVERTISEMENT

a chicken wing thread

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
this can be anything: how you cook them, where you like to get them, good stories about them, etc.

so we've tried many things. i'll share my findings and hopefully help some of you out. and really hoping you good people have some ideas for me.

1. i've steamed them first (30/40 minutes). then bake. it gets some of the fat out so the idea is they get crispier. put in oven at 450 for around 45 minutes. does it work? sorta. but not perfect.

2. baking soda: i kind of liked this. however, wifey has a side baking business and she didn't like me using her supplies (during COVID, baking supplies are hard to come by). so the idea is you coat the wings in soda before baking and they should be crispier. did it work? it worked but didn't knock my socks off. there is a slight *off* taste. not a deal breaker but enough that makes me no want try it again.

3. smoker: now, when we went to the ACC championship game, my crew went to a BBQ joint. it was all wood fired. their wings were GREAT. i tried using my egg but it's kind of a pain (put in a bunch of wood chips). i have a large egg but you really can't fit too many wings on that. i used indirect heat. i couldn't keep the wings from sticking to the tray. kind of uneven cooking. if it was direct heat, they'd straight up burn. not the greatest situation.

4. fry: meh. i don't find it to be a great solution. just a standard fryer. fine, but nothing special.

5. grill (gas): once again you have a problem of sticking to the grill. or stick to the tray you put on top. i've tried it multiple ways and it's just sort of a pain. you pull the wing off and it breaks into two or whatever. no one wants that.

6. slow and low: bake for 2 hours at around 225. then you crank it to 450 for around 45 minutes. this has been the best so far. the kids love them. you have to pit oil on them a couple of times or again, you get the sticking issue. i've wanted to try using parchment in this situation but wifey has over-ruled me.

7. marinating: i've tried this multiple times and i'm convinced it's a useless endeavor. flavor never comes through. i've found that marinating chicken breast in balsamic vinaigrette actually DOES work really well. but i've not tried it on wings. seems a strange marinade for wings but maybe it works.

8. wings in maryland are shit. i seriously consider moving back to PA, simply for wings. and pizza/subs. maryland is a culinary desert outside of crabs.

Personally I don't like wings, so I have never tried to make them. But Mr. Pitt-girl and my kids love the ones from Billy's Roadhouse in the North Hills. :D

Reactions: pitt90seven
What I have done is smoke them and then the last 15 minutes put them on the gas grill to crisp them up. I really like them that way when I cook them at home.

I don't really touch them while they are smoking so after 2-3 hours on the smoker. Don't deal with much sticking. Maybe spray your rack with Pam or something of that sort.

I keep it simple. I get fresh large wings from 84 packing in Washington, pa

I apply salt, pepper and sprinkle with a buffalo hot sauce

I cook over a charcoal grill. I douse in my patented buffalo ranch sauce and cook alittle linger

I finish in air fryer for an extra crispy outside. That air fryer is great for finishing so you can put some fresh cut dogs on grill for kids at same time

charcoal cooked wings have a superior taste unmatched by any other cooking method

when I was travelling for work nonstop I was at a smokehouse and they smoked their wings and then dropped them in the fryer for crisp. They were fantastic. I don't recall where I was for those. I'm thinking in east west virginia/Virginia/Maryland area along 81.

Good thread brother.

My go to cooking.
Ziplock bag, wings, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, canola oil, dash lemon juice, splash of worchester. Close bag, mix well and let sit for several hours in fridge (overnight is better).

2 cook methods I like.
1) Pellet smoker at 275 for 1.5-2 hours. Finish on gas grill to crisp, can dust lightly with rub or cajun seasoning again when on grill.

2) Similar to Pitt97 - Oven at 300 for 1.5 hours, the finish with broiler on high. When top is crisp, flip and get the other side. You can hit with oil spray. This is my winter / bad weather method. Can dust with rub/cajun seasoning.

My favorite wings locally:
Breakneck Tavern (smoked and then finished in fryer)
Mad Mex
North Park Clubhouse
Fatheads
Dive Bar

I always go with drub if they have it, and ask for whatever sauce I might want on the side. I hate soggy wings. I want them crispy and I'll dip them in the sauce.

Air Fryer 400 degrees 18 minutes. A simple butter and red hot sauce.

As far as local places.

Doridos in South Park. Know for their fish but they have great wings.

Crafty Jackalope in Bridgeville.

Publix markets have the best wings. Can get breaded or naked with a tangy dry rub. 20 wings for $12.
If u are near a Publix, give them a try.
I also do not like a “wet “ wing. Dry and I’ll dip in a sriracha-gojuchang mix.
I’m an excellent cook, but my wings never taste as good as a Publix wing.
World of Beers has a smoked wing, that is my second choice, with Korean on the side.

Lastly. Publix chicken tenders are awesome as well. Always get 2 to eat on the way home, when I get my box of 20 wigs.

Publix markets have the best wings. Can get breaded or naked with a tangy dry rub. 20 wings for $12.
World of Beers has a smoked wing, that is my second choice, with Korean on the side.

Lastly. Publix chicken tenders are awesome as well. Always get 2 to eat on the way home, when I get my box of 20 wigs.

The Publix chicken tender sub, to me, is the gold standard of any food that you can ever get made at a grocery store deli. Their chicken is absolutely ridiculous. It is by far my favorite thing about visiting Florida save the beaches.

The wings are excellent as well. Completely agree.

Reactions: Chaos and Pitt1975
Cooking wings seems messy! I prefer to go out or have them delivered. I know nothing about how to cook them but I like to eat them!

Also, I can't eat wings as a dinner.....i prefer a few as an appetizer.

this can be anything: how you cook them, where you like to get them, good stories about them, etc.

so we've tried many things. i'll share my findings and hopefully help some of you out. and really hoping you good people have some ideas for me.

1. i've steamed them first (30/40 minutes). then bake. it gets some of the fat out so the idea is they get crispier. put in oven at 450 for around 45 minutes. does it work? sorta. but not perfect.

2. baking soda: i kind of liked this. however, wifey has a side baking business and she didn't like me using her supplies (during COVID, baking supplies are hard to come by). so the idea is you coat the wings in soda before baking and they should be crispier. did it work? it worked but didn't knock my socks off. there is a slight *off* taste. not a deal breaker but enough that makes me no want try it again.

3. smoker: now, when we went to the ACC championship game, my crew went to a BBQ joint. it was all wood fired. their wings were GREAT. i tried using my egg but it's kind of a pain (put in a bunch of wood chips). i have a large egg but you really can't fit too many wings on that. i used indirect heat. i couldn't keep the wings from sticking to the tray. kind of uneven cooking. if it was direct heat, they'd straight up burn. not the greatest situation.

4. fry: meh. i don't find it to be a great solution. just a standard fryer. fine, but nothing special.

5. grill (gas): once again you have a problem of sticking to the grill. or stick to the tray you put on top. i've tried it multiple ways and it's just sort of a pain. you pull the wing off and it breaks into two or whatever. no one wants that.

6. slow and low: bake for 2 hours at around 225. then you crank it to 450 for around 45 minutes. this has been the best so far. the kids love them. you have to pit oil on them a couple of times or again, you get the sticking issue. i've wanted to try using parchment in this situation but wifey has over-ruled me.

7. marinating: i've tried this multiple times and i'm convinced it's a useless endeavor. flavor never comes through. i've found that marinating chicken breast in balsamic vinaigrette actually DOES work really well. but i've not tried it on wings. seems a strange marinade for wings but maybe it works.

8. wings in maryland are shit. i seriously consider moving back to PA, simply for wings. and pizza/subs. maryland is a culinary desert outside of crabs.
I love wings, they are definitely a weakness of mine. You really can't get better than deep fried. But....here's the key. I have steamed them or low baked them or even par boiled them first. What you have to do, and it is something along the lines of "twice cooked fries", after you take them out of a steamer, or say a low oven. Bring them to room temperature. Then....on a rack, put them in the fridge for a few hours or over night. Seriously. Let them, the skin, dry out. Then, maybe spray like Pam cooking oil on the wings and put them in a 450 degree oven to crisp up. And that comes close to deep frying without all the extra oil.

Amazing, since the pandemic and thanks to Governor Cuomo, I haven't eaten wings that much, because they were always a go to sometimes if I am traveling, and just want to have a few beers, some wings and watch a sporting event.

Oh...as far as sauce, I am an uber traditionalist that it is some format of hot sauce/butter (aka "Buffalo").

Reactions: HailToPitt725
One other thing....I HATE "JUMBO" wings. They seem harder to cook (even places with professional fryers) and it kind of screws up the ratio of crispy skin, sauce and meat. I like medium size chicken wings, you know, the way they used to be.

20 wings for $12?!?!?! holy smokes that is super cheap.

Good thread. I like good wings but have never been able to cook my own as well as restaurant wings. Mad Mex surprisingly has very good wings, I haven't had North Park lounge wings in awhile, they used to be good.

Same with me on the wings. Maybe because I lack deep fryer skills. Highly recommend Redbeards wings. Hit them before or after almost all football games. Better parking and traffic easier to deal with after two hours after a game and a couple dozen wings

Good thread. I like good wings but have never been able to cook my own as well as restaurant wings. Mad Mex surprisingly has very good wings, I haven't had North Park lounge wings in awhile, they used to be good.

Same. Tried twice. Not bad, just mediocre. I have Big Shot Bob’s on speed dial.

And yes - Mad Mex does have good wings. Would have never expected it but they’re good to very good.

love mad mex wings.

Reactions: pbrad
I can make them but they never taste right to me. I've tried a few different ways. My kid likes the way I do it but I don't. We have one local place that is decent but like pizza, central PA lacks decent choices.

where in central PA?

The best tip I ever got about making non-fried wings is to toss them in baking soda or baking powder and let them set overnight to dry out before tossing them in an air-fryer or 425 degree oven.

The baking soda gives it a slightly crispier finish than the powder, but does have that slightly off taste to it unless you have a really pungent sauce.

For me it's air-fryer above everything when it comes to chicken.

Don’t know where he’s speaking of but Aroogas either near or in Camp Hill is really good.

kokomo's always had the best wing in harrisburg area. really great. haven't lived there in years so i don't know aroogas. gonna have to try it out next time i'm up there. i bring home 4 cheesesteaks from al's every time i'm up b/c you can't get decent pizza or subs in maryland.

I'm close to Bedford. There's a place in Saxton called Bubba's that's okay but it's a bit of a drive.

maybe try soaking your wings in the magic springs before cooking!!!

The best tip I ever got about making non-fried wings is to toss them in baking soda or baking powder and let them set overnight to dry out before tossing them in an air-fryer or 425 degree oven.

The baking soda gives it a slightly crispier finish than the powder, but does have that slightly off taste to it unless you have a really pungent sauce.

For me it's air-fryer above everything when it comes to chicken.

everyone on my work team swears by the air fryer. i went to buy one recently and they all had bad reviews (smelled bad, etc). maybe i just need to pick one but i don't want a piece of garbage.

Big Shot Bob's has to be best in Pgh area for regular fried wings (i.e. not smoked or some other prep)

Mad Mex really good, love the Southwestern flavor (Cilantro, Mexican oregano, olive oil, lime and garlic). The have 1/2 off wings during happy hour, or at least did pre-COVID

Wings, Suds, and Spuds are delicious too, but their wings are on the small side for the price point - I'd rather they lower the price than change the wing

A dark horse in the race is the (newish) Castle Tavern in Bethel Park, pretty darn good

For home prep, I mainly use the turkey fryer, crisps them well. Some times I bake them in the oven, then finish them in some oil on the stovetop. What I really love to do is slow smoke them until the meat is ready to fall of the bones....these aren't crispy at all, but are a different taste so give up the crispness....however, Mrs. Pitt Boss does not like them this way so they are a rare homemade treat.

Yeah....the best wings I had in the Western PA area is Crockett's in Morgantown. They have the best combo of right sized, crispy and the sauce is fantastic.

I like Wings Suds and Spuds, and yes, they have the right size wings (not to big), but they oversauce them.

BSB's is good, but I just pretty much do the straight Franks.

I had Mad Mex wings once and was completely unimpressed. Up here in culinary hell (also known as the AK Valley) they have no idea how to make anything but seasoned wings, or some breaded (floured). Some are fantastic, some suck. Gunny's in New Ken is great. But the places around here have no idea for a buffalo style wing which is frustrating.

On a meadow creek smoker paint with a mustard slather. Add rub 250 for 3.5-4 hours

Not whole. Flappers and drumsticks...but still a deal. They are enormous...too. ...
Which is also another important aspects of wings.

Drumsticks or Flats? I am a 50/50 guy. I like both, and that is part of the greatness of a chicken wing, it is like two entirely different cuts of meat. I respect either, but think the 50/50 split is the best way to go.

Not whole. Flappers and drumsticks...but still a deal. They are enormous...too. ...

that's still an incredible deal. they're more like $1.5/$2 per wing if you get them at a restaurant around here.

Drumsticks or Flats? I am a 50/50 guy. I like both, and that is part of the greatness of a chicken wing, it is like two entirely different cuts of meat. I respect either, but think the 50/50 split is the best way to go.

i'm strong on team drumstick. i thought everyone else was, but i think i'm in the minority overall.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Lived in Rochester for a while and found it is really hard to find great wings outside western NY. Yes i turned into a wing snob and was spoiled for those years.
I like Burgh's Pizza & Wing Pub . Lots of choices but like traditional Buffalo.
Harold's Inn - Aliquippa if you like seasoned whole wings.
V and V Scratch Kitchen - they smoke their own wings.

If you deep fry wings then they are all basically the same. Sauce slapped on at end.

smoking over wood or cooking with charcoal separates your wings from all of the restaurants deep fryers. The finishing crisp is essential. Try an air fryer. The flavor and crisp can’t be duplicated by commercial wings doused in oil

i'm strong on team drumstick. i thought everyone else was, but i think i'm in the minority overall.

The meat on the double bone flat is more tender and just tastier. The drum is more crispy and just made for dipping and gnawing on.

When we eat wings as a family, I usually end up with the flats since the wife and kids prefer the drumsticks. My youngest will sometimes dive into the flats with me.

If we go to Mad Mex during happy hour, my dinner is wings. When I'm traveling, and go to what I call a sports tapbar (TVs and lots of taps), I often get wings for dinner.

The meat on the double bone flat is more tender and just tastier. The drum is more crispy and just made for dipping and gnawing on.

When we eat wings as a family, I usually end up with the flats since the wife and kids prefer the drumsticks. My youngest will sometimes dive into the flats with me.

If we go to Mad Mex during happy hour, my dinner is wings. When I'm traveling, and go to what I call a sports tapbar (TVs and lots of taps), I often get wings for dinner.
So do I, so do I, but according to NY Governor Andrew Cuomo, "wings are not a meal".

I’m strong on drumsticks, but flappers aren’t a bad second choice. Especially the next day, cold for lunch...oh boy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT