ADVERTISEMENT

A lot more NC for ACC Tournaments

latz66

Scholarship
May 10, 2003

Works for me, because I live down here. Don't know how everyone else feels about this.

Certainly favors the NC schools for hoops. I kind of thought they would throw some bones around occasionally (FL, DC for a few of the others).

Just more domination from the NC "royalty" schools. Nothing for the serf schools. I hate the effing ACC. I'd much rather see Pitt in the Big 12.

• Haha
Reactions: BPKY and FireballZ
I’m 99% sure that this is related to all of the incentives that the ACC got from the North Carolina government when they moved the HQ to Charlotte. Which probably results in more money going into Pitt’s pockets, and we might get some more fun scheduling out of it - stuff like maybe playing an OOC game down at Georgetown or something because we won’t be able to play in ACC tournament games in DC for a while.

Greensboro stinks. I get the tradition, but it stinks. Never been for the tournament, but Charlotte seems nice enough. And I definitely don’t see hoofing it to Kansas City for the Big 12 tournament as an improvement over Charlotte.

Charlotte is cool but Greensboro SUCKS. Give me a venue where theres something to do after the games.

Weird to have 4 in a row in NC. And Greensboro actually sucks as a basketball town. The place is empty if Duke or UNC isnt playing. I was there for the Pitt/Xavier and Kentucky/KSt doubleheader and there were 5000 empty seats which would have been more if Big Blue Nation wasnt there. PPG sells out the NCAAT

Weird to have 4 in a row in NC. And Greensboro actually sucks as a basketball town. The place is empty if Duke or UNC isnt playing. I was there for the Pitt/Xavier and Kentucky/KSt doubleheader and there were 5000 empty seats which would have been more if Big Blue Nation wasnt there. PPG sells out the NCAAT
That's fairly standard for first round NCAA Tournament games. There are always empties.

That's fairly standard for first round NCAA Tournament games. There are always empties.

Not at PPG. Was there for some pretty shitty 1st Round games last time and it was packed. Hou/UAB and Ill/Chatt. Also, these were 2nd Round games in Greensboro and Kentucky was there. Greensboro is a terrible hoops town.

Not at PPG. Was there for some pretty shitty 1st Round games last time and it was packed. Hou/UAB and Ill/Chatt. Also, these were 2nd Round games in Greensboro and Kentucky was there. Greensboro is a terrible hoops town.

2nd round games mean 4 teams lost.
Sometimes their fans don't stick around

UK fan didn't travel well to Greensboro because last year's Cats were really a frustrating group to watch. They travel better when they are really good..

2nd round games mean 4 teams lost.
Sometimes their fans don't stick around

UK fan didn't travel well to Greensboro because last year's Cats were really a frustrating group to watch. They travel better when they are really good..

Kennesaw, Iowa State, Montana State, and Providence didnt travel to Greensboro. A supposedly great hoops town like Greensboro shouldn't have to rely on Kentucky or NC fans packing the place. The crowds were much worse than Pittsburgh

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Charlotte is cool but Greensboro SUCKS. Give me a venue where theres something to do after the games.

I've said before, Charlotte should be the tournament home most of the time, with an occasional trip to places like DC and Brooklyn. Greensboro should be the place they have it when a natural disaster decimates the approximately ten other better cities to hold it in.

I used to live in Charlotte and it is a fine place for a tournament but I’d rather go to Louisville (with the bourbon trail) than Greensboro again. Atlanta and Pittsburgh would be nice too. I wouldn’t even mind Raleigh. NYC or DC again would be nice too or maybe throw a bone to the new comers and try Fort Worth or San Francisco. The Chase center would be great and no matter what you hear about San Fran, it’s a great place. (I live on the central coast of CA and have an apartment between ATT park and Chase and have never once experienced the stuff you hear about, even when on the street late at night, I guess I’m only there on weekends and weekdays might be worse.). That said, I don’t hate Greensboro but once every 10 years or so seems appropriate.

Having spent time in Charlotte, this is entirely consistent with the attitude of folks there. I’m glad I left.

Kennesaw, Iowa State, Montana State, and Providence didnt travel to Greensboro. A supposedly great hoops town like Greensboro shouldn't have to rely on Kentucky or NC fans packing the place. The crowds were much worse than Pittsburgh

Why would any local want to see Kentucky, K-State, Pitt, or Xavier? Not a legit contender in the group.

Pittsburgh is a little bigger than Greensboro. College basketball fans in Greensboro can easily catch several games a year at Wake, UNC, Duke, or NCSU. I don't see why any of them would walk across the street to see UK/K-State or Xavier/Pitt. Pitt

Also, none of those schools are really close to Greensboro. The closest has to be at least a 6 or 7 hour drive. PPG had tOSU/Nova.

Last edited:
Why would any local want to see Kentucky, K-State, Pitt, or Xavier? Not a legit contender in the group.

Because they like to watch basketball?

I mean isn't that the reason for Greensboro in the first place, it's supposed to be a great hotbed of college basketball fans? Don't college basketball fans tend to want to watch NCAA tournament games?

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

I mean isn't that the reason for Greensboro in the first place, it's supposed to be a great hotbed of college basketball fans? Don't college basketball fans tend to want to watch NCAA tournament games?
Yeah, but they just hosted the ACC Tournament the week before. I'm sure there was more interest in the local teams.

You can see more tournament games on your couch than attending in person.

I used to live in Charlotte and it is a fine place for a tournament but I’d rather go to Louisville (with the bourbon trail) than Greensboro again. Atlanta and Pittsburgh would be nice too. I wouldn’t even mind Raleigh. NYC or DC again would be nice too or maybe throw a bone to the new comers and try Fort Worth or San Francisco. The Chase center would be great and no matter what you hear about San Fran, it’s a great place. (I live on the central coast of CA and have an apartment between ATT park and Chase and have never once experienced the stuff you hear about, even when on the street late at night, I guess I’m only there on weekends and weekdays might be worse.). That said, I don’t hate Greensboro but once every 10 years or so seems appropriate.

Having spent time in Charlotte, this is entirely consistent with the attitude of folks there. I’m glad I left.

If Cal and Stanford played for the ACC Championship in SF, there would be 8000 people there

He made my point. Greensboro fans are only showing up if Duke, UNC, or NC State is playing. Terrible basketball town. There were more people at the flea market (yes, there was a flea market inside the Coliseum) than the games

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

I think part of it, too, is that Charlotte is a major airport hub. It’s a long trip from the Bay Area or DFW, but it’s a relatively easy and inexpensive one for a lot of fans who might be traveling for the tournament. Greensboro less so.

We are too.

all these NC conference connections scream small time. Doesn’t help the national perception of the conference.

all these NC conference connections scream small time. Doesn’t help the national perception of the conference.

Disagree. Tobacco Road is the heart of the ACC. North Carolina schools have won 13 NCAA Tournaments. I think the rest of the ACC combined has won 4 (Louisville-2, Syracuse-1, UVA-1)

The Duke/UNC basketball rivalry easily draws more national coverage than anything else in the college hoops regular season.

The North Carolina connections is the ACC's identity and strength in college hoops. Why dilute that?

Disagree. Tobacco Road is the heart of the ACC. North Carolina schools have won 13 NCAA Tournaments. I think the rest of the ACC combined has won 4 (Louisville-2, Syracuse-1, UVA-1)

The Duke/UNC basketball rivalry easily draws more national coverage than anything else in the college hoops regular season.

The North Carolina connections is the ACC's identity and strength in college hoops. Why dilute that?
Well that’s the same parochial perspective shared by the AcC traditionalists which accounts, in part, for the negative national view of the ACC, particularly as regards FB which is the most important sport. FB drives the bus….not hoops.

Well that’s the same parochial perspective shared by the AcC traditionalists which accounts, in part, for the negative national view of the ACC, particularly as regards FB which is the most important sport. FB drives the bus….not hoops.

Agree about what drives the bus. But what does the location of the basketball tournament have to do with football?

The ACC tried holding the football
championship in Jacksonville and Tampa. It was a disaster. I don't know
there is anything they can do to bolster football. The 3 most marketable
programs all are located in SEC territory.

I don't know what the answer is to help the ACC's image in football. I'm pretty sure moving the basketball tournament out of North Carolina won't move the needle though.

Agree about what drives the bus. But what does the location of the basketball tournament have to do with football?

The ACC tried holding the football
championship in Jacksonville and Tampa. It was a disaster. I don't know
there is anything they can do to bolster football. The 3 most marketable
programs all are located in SEC territory.

I don't know what the answer is to help the ACC's image in football. I'm pretty sure moving the basketball tournament out of North Carolina won't move the needle though.
I get your overall point but stereotypes and Perceptions die slowly enough without making moves that keep them alive. Whether it's FB or hoops, it’s really about the NC focused connections creating the perception that everything gravitates around NC which continues to feed the perspective that it’s not an east coast conference spanning Mass. to Fla. but really a tobacco road conference. Maybe if fans had gotten accustomed to traveling to championship games outside NC slowly but surely attendance at these games would have improved at the non Carolina venues. The quality of the teams in these postseason games also contributed to the attendance issues. It’s also about trying to demonstrate that this isn’t’t the old AcC, a hoops centric league in which FB was an afterthought. The idea that every meaningful postseason game has to be played in NC to draw a decent crowd is an indictment of the league in of itself……it’s no wonder the tv contract stinks.

I think part of it, too, is that Charlotte is a major airport hub. It’s a long trip from the Bay Area or DFW, but it’s a relatively easy and inexpensive one for a lot of fans who might be traveling for the tournament. Greensboro less so.
You probably are right but 20 years ago I used to spend 800 for a book of tickets at MSG. The flight would only be an incidental cost of a tournament and lots of people could have a vacation in a place they have never visited.

Why give them home field advantage? It’s simple, the ACC is Carolina biased.

FWIW, eight of the 15 ACC schools are within relatively easy driving distance from Greensboro. Back in the day, they all were. If I am not mistaken, the ACCT is always a sell-out as far as the conference is concerned. Each school receives an allotment of tickets and is responsible for any it doesn't sell. Of course, most of the old schools had no trouble selling all their tickets. In fact, significant contributions to the athletic department were required to even qualify to buy the tickets. (At Virginia, a certain number of tickets were set aside for students, and a raffle was held for the privilege of buying them.) Also, because the driving distance was so manageable, if your team won on the first day, and you didn't have tickets, you could drive to Greensboro and buy a ticket from those whose team lost the previous day. An informal marketplace existed for doing so after each round. As a result, every game was packed with fans of the teams playing. Given the probable seeding for the 2024 ACCT, and if those seeds hold, then every seat in the building is likely to hold the fanny of a partisan fan for the last three rounds. Which, I imagine, is what the PTB in the conference office want.

FWIW, eight of the 15 ACC schools are within relatively easy driving distance from Greensboro.

They are also within easy driving distance of Charlotte, and Charlotte is a much better place to go than Greensboro.

Greensboro screams small time. Screams it from the top of the highest mountain with the loudest voice possible. Just say no to Greensboro.

Reactions: gilligan 3
He made my point. Greensboro fans are only showing up if Duke, UNC, or NC State is playing. Terrible basketball town. There were more people at the flea market (yes, there was a flea market inside the Coliseum) than the games
That's the way it is at every conference tournament. People come and go. There are always empty seats. It will be the same in DC.

The championship game between Duke & UVA was very well attended.

They are also within easy driving distance of Charlotte, and Charlotte is a much better place to go than Greensboro.

Greensboro screams small time. Screams it from the top of the highest mountain with the loudest voice possible. Just say no to Greensboro.
Greensboro may be a small time city, but the ACC has a lot of tradition there. Besides, ACC basketball is and established brand. Its no less of an event if it's held in Greensboro, NYC, DC, or Mount Airy.

Greensboro may be a small time city, but the ACC has a lot of tradition there. Besides, ACC basketball is and established brand. Its no less of an event if it's held in Greensboro, NYC, DC, or Mount Airy.

Who gives a shit about tradition if the place is empty unless Duke, UNC, or NC State is playing. Greensboro is such a dump. Its basically Washington, PA with a big arena and a Bojangles.

Who gives a shit about tradition if the place is empty unless Duke, UNC, or NC State is playing. Greensboro is such a dump. Its basically Washington, PA with a big arena and a Bojangles.

Wait! There's a Bojangles there?!?

Well that changes everything. Greeensboro now, Greensboro forever!

So?

Regardless of where it's held, there are going to be a lot of empty seats if Duke or UNC isn't playing. Location doesn't have squat to do with that.

I went to an SEC Tournament Championship game in Nashville back in 2013, and there couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 thousand fans there to watch Ole Miss beat Florida.

So?

Regardless of where it's held, there are going to be a lot of empty seats if Duke or UNC isn't playing. Location doesn't have squat to do with that.

I went to an SEC Tournament Championship game in Nashville back in 2013, and there couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 thousand fans there to watch Ole Miss beat Florida.

I was at a VT/Clemson and FSU/GT doubleheader in DC and it was pretty full and it was the Wednesday 2nd round games. That was also before VT was good. Stop defending Greensboro. Its a terrible basketball town.

I was at a VT/Clemson and FSU/GT doubleheader in DC and it was pretty full and it was the Wednesday 2nd round games. That was also before VT was good. Stop defending Greensboro. Its a terrible basketball town.

Whatever.

You're all over the place. Just last week you trying to convince me Yinzers didn't understand college basketball. ...Go back a couple more weeks, and you were complaining about attendance at Pitt games and suggesting curtains for the Pete. So is Pittsburgh a great basketball town or not?

Whatever.

You're all over the place. Just last week you trying to convince me Yinzers didn't understand college basketball. ...Go back a couple more weeks, and you were complaining about attendance at Pitt games and suggesting curtains for the Pete. So is Pittsburgh a great basketball town or not?

No. Pittsburgh is a bad basketball town. Better than Greensboro though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT