ADVERTISEMENT

A rebirth

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I really have a good feeling about this year's team. So much so that I feel the NCAA Tournament is at least a slight possibility and my expectation is an NIT bid. There just seems to be some good mojo around the program and we've added some good pieces. Hearing tidbits that the guys beat the Pitt alums in July and hung with Cam, Young, Luther, Kane, and DJ Kennedy in June.

Hugley is as good of a post player as there is in the country but its true we dont have a #2 option. That said, from 2 to 12, we are probably as deep as we've ever been. Now, 2 to 6 or 7 is still an issue because there's some uncertainty there but I really like the old men we have at guards to go along with the highest rated recruit we've had in forever. Something just feels different.

The roster mix definitely feels right this year, and the vibes seem good. We’ll see when the bullets start flying in November, but the early returns feel different.
Yea, I mean ultimately they have to win games but everything about the program seems different. Maybe its just me but I feel like its Year 1 with a new staff, like with that excitement at all.

Only concern is that it's easy to unravel once a few losses pile up. We've seen that before with Capel teams that have showed life early on. You can attribute it to personnel, but that same personnel went from playing well against good competition early to playing poorly against all competition by mid-season. Will this team be mentally tough enough to weather a bit of adversity? We shall see.

Seems like we better do something this year, though, because I don't think Dior Johnson and some others will be here after this season.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
I really have a good feeling about this year's team. So much so that I feel the NCAA Tournament is at least a slight possibility and my expectation is an NIT bid. There just seems to be some good mojo around the program and we've added some good pieces. Hearing tidbits that the guys beat the Pitt alums in July and hung with Cam, Young, Luther, Kane, and DJ Kennedy in June.

Hugley is as good of a post player as there is in the country but its true we dont have a #2 option. That said, from 2 to 12, we are probably as deep as we've ever been. Now, 2 to 6 or 7 is still an issue because there's some uncertainty there but I really like the old men we have at guards to go along with the highest rated recruit we've had in forever. Something just feels different.
I'm optimistic and will leave it at that. Post season projections are a little premature.

Only concern is that it's easy to unravel once a few losses pile up. We've seen that before with Capel teams that have showed life early on. You can attribute it to personnel, but that same personnel went from playing well against good competition early to playing poorly against all competition by mid-season. Will this team be mentally tough enough to weather a bit of adversity? We shall see.

Seems like we better do something this year, though, because I don't think Dior Johnson and some others will be here after this season.
True but these are old men. Those were 19 year olds.

I think we will be at the very least a bubble team. I think we have some very good, hard nosed, gritty players who have enough experience and toughness that we are going to win a good amount of games.

which country - Bolivia?

There is a really good chance that the 2023 class is Capel's best class when its all said and done. There is an equally good chance of having a pretty darn good 2024 class to go along with it.

Im just as excited for the possibility of this 2023 class as I am with the season starting.

We could be getting real recruiting momentum soon.

There is a really good chance that the 2023 class is Capel's best class when its all said and done. There is an equally good chance of having a pretty darn good 2024 class to go along with it.

Im just as excited for the possibility of this 2023 class as I am with the season starting.

We could be getting real recruiting momentum soon.

Problem I have is that IF we are able to put a good season together this year...

We're more than likely going to lose some of the key pieces.

And then the 2023 class so far is good but not like one-and-done, win immediately good. So we'll kind of be starting over after this year.... again. Well, taking a step back might be a more accurate depiction.

Of course, there are transfer possibilities and a thousand other things that could happen (hey, maybe Hugley even stays). I'm just voicing one concern. But it makes me wonder just how much we'll have to win this year for fans to remain (well, become) patient with Capel. If we only make the NIT this year and then Dior - assuming he is one of our better contributors on this team - leaves, is that enough to even bring Capel back? I assume it would be (in conjunction with what he has in the 2023 class), but I also assume fans would not be happy about it.

Problem I have is that IF we are able to put a good season together this year...

We're more than likely going to lose some of the key pieces.

And then the 2023 class so far is good but not like one-and-done, win immediately good. So we'll kind of be starting over after this year.... again. Well, taking a step back might be a more accurate depiction.

Of course, there are transfer possibilities and a thousand other things that could happen (hey, maybe Hugley even stays). I'm just voicing one concern. But it makes me wonder just how much we'll have to win this year for fans to remain (well, become) patient with Capel. If we only make the NIT this year and then Dior - assuming he is one of our better contributors on this team - leaves, is that enough to even bring Capel back? I assume it would be (in conjunction with what he has in the 2023 class), but I also assume fans would not be happy about it.

This is a new sport. Most teams will lose their whole team every year. It just comes down to who gets the best transfers and frosh contributors. This is more similar to pick up ball or AAU ball.

This is a new sport. Most teams will lose their whole team every year. It just comes down to who gets the best transfers and frosh contributors. This is more similar to pick up ball or AAU ball.

Well, even if only Hugley, Johnson, and Burton leave... do you like our chances of finding three transfers who are as good or better?

Well, even if only Hugley, Johnson, and Burton leave... do you like our chances of finding three transfers who are as good or better?

I don't like playing "what if" so and so stays or goes. What I will say is, Ty-laur Johnson is going to put up significant points immediately as he can flat out score. You saw what RJ Davis and Posh Alexander did, NY guards as freshmen. Ty-laur is arguably a better scorer than Dior coming out of high school.

Players like Carrington, Jaland Lowe, or Jaylen Curry should also help early. TBD on Barnes because he missed a lot of time with injury this spring and summer. I am very bullish on Carrington who had a monster summer and is a year young for his recruiting class. Big time shot maker that creates his own offense.

Yea, basically every player enters the portal so its a crap shoot, a flip of the coin. Its like going to play pick up ball one week and having a good team and the next night you go up, you wonder if you'll have a good team again, will the same guys be there? Maybe they will, maybe they wont but every team is in the same boat. Its just pick up ball now. Teams will change yearly

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT