ADVERTISEMENT

ACC approves helmet communication technology, in-game video access, now awaits NCAA green light

a no brainer for sure, especially with the harbaugh michigan crap going on. anything that brings an end to the 3rd string qb holding up big billboards of non-sensical pictures is a good thing..
Yeah, those boards always looked bush league to me. May as well give the QB's another tool that is similar to the NFL.

Whipple would have had the range on the headsets limited so that KP still had to run most of the way over.

a no brainer for sure, especially with the harbaugh michigan crap going on. anything that brings an end to the 3rd string qb holding up big billboards of non-sensical pictures is a good thing..
The NFL has been using it for awhile. College football is just finally catching up. HS football and those billboards are the newest thing. Bethel Park comes to mind.

I'd go the opposite direction, reduce the play clock to 25 seconds, remove the helmet radios and force the QB to call the plays because there's no time for signaling, I think it would be more fun to watch and especially in the pros, you're getting paid $30 million a year, why can't you be responsible to call the plays?

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
I'd go the opposite direction, reduce the play clock to 25 seconds, remove the helmet radios and force the QB to call the plays because there's no time for signaling, I think it would be more fun to watch and especially in the pros, you're getting paid $30 million a year, why can't you be responsible to call the plays?
nfl maybe, imagine the chaos you'd have if you had college qbs calling their own plays lol. imagine someone like true freshman Pat Bostik having 25 seconds to call a play, get them lined up and run a successful play..

it'd be a train wreck.

nfl maybe, imagine the chaos you'd have if you had college qbs calling their own plays lol. imagine someone like true freshman Pat Bostik having 25 seconds to call a play, get them lined up and run a successful play..

it'd be a train wreck.
The beauty of it is that it would force them to simplify everything and also not give the defense time to adjust, it might be really fun, and I'd definitely think it would be awesome in the pros, Steelers would have been way more fun to watch and probably perform BETTER if Ben had called all the plays through the 2010s.

it'd be a train wreck.
imagine the chaos you'd have if you had college qbs calling their own plays lol....uh, yes, our best and brightest within the ranks of some of our finest institutions of higher learning unable to come up with a play call on third and seven while guys a couple years older are charged with giving commands on their own to young men to take a well defended hill....gee, I don't know, having to use your brain might actually put the "college" back into college football...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt79
imagine the chaos you'd have if you had college qbs calling their own plays lol....uh, yes, our best and brightest within the ranks of some of our finest institutions of higher learning unable to come up with a play call on third and seven while guys a couple years older are charged with giving commands on their own to young men to take a well defended hill....gee, I don't know, having to use your brain might actually put the "college" back into college football...
lol, is this a serious reply?

I have no problem with calling a play via helmet communication. However, I have wondered if the mike is live throughout the entire play.

In other words, is it possible to relay which receiver is open or that a defensive end is bearing down on the QB from the blind side?

I really don't know how the mike to receiver process works in live action. Can the QB ask questions or is it a one-way communication?

Does anyone know the specifics of this process?

I have no problem with calling a play via helmet communication. However, I have wondered if the mike is live throughout the entire play.

In other words, is it possible to relay which receiver is open or that a defensive end is bearing down on the QB from the blind side?

I really don't know how the mike to receiver process works in live action. Can the QB ask questions or is it a one-way communication?

Does anyone know the specifics of this process?

In the NFL it is a one way process that automatically cuts off when the play clock gets to 15 seconds and does not come back on until the play is over.

I would imagine that if the NCAA adopts it they will go with something similar.

Reactions: PITT 76
I'd go the opposite direction, reduce the play clock to 25 seconds, remove the helmet radios and force the QB to call the plays because there's no time for signaling

There are teams that run plays in less than ten seconds even with the coaches signalling in plays from the sidelines, but you think that 25 seconds wouldn't be enough time to signal plays in?

If you think games are long now, how long do we think they will be with all the extra plays that changing the play clock to 25 seconds and forcing teams to snap the ball faster will cause?

There are teams that run plays in less than ten seconds even with the coaches signalling in plays from the sidelines, but you think that 25 seconds wouldn't be enough time to signal plays in?

If you think games are long now, how long do we think they will be with all the extra plays that changing the play clock to 25 seconds and forcing teams to snap the ball faster will cause?
I still like my idea, I like it faster, and for some teams it would be harder and a big adjustment, and I like the possibility of the QB calling his own play. And it's not really extremely faster, I think one of the spring leagues has a 25 second clock. I'd go as far as making it illegal to signal in plays, give the QB a basic game plan and have him decide play to play.

lol, is this a serious reply?
Not sure what was funny....Yes, was I incorrect in some way? If so, do explain why grown college men cannot call plays from a studied playbook in a football game sans "chaos"...I thought my 22 year old 2nd Lt. analogy was solid also...

Not sure what was funny....Yes, was I incorrect in some way? If so, do explain why grown college men cannot call plays from a studied playbook in a football game sans "chaos"...I thought my 22 year old 2nd Lt. analogy was solid also...
I agree with you, it was the norm probably until the 80s.The reply to that will be everything is more complicated now, so what? You'd just have to simplify everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT