ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/B10 challenge going bye bye

ACC/SEC challenge in the works? The two premier conferences ESPN has locked up.

I know the SEC does something with the Big 12 but after losing texas and oklahoma is that really viable? The number of teams and quality of teams fits nicely to move to ACC/SEC.

Pitt could have the annual Kevin Stallings Cup versus Vandy

ACC/SEC challenge in the works? The two premier conferences ESPN has locked up.

I know the SEC does something with the Big 12 but after losing texas and oklahoma is that really viable? The number of teams and quality of teams fits nicely to move to ACC/SEC.

Pitt could have the annual Kevin Stallings Cup versus Vandy
Been saying since the SEC went all in on basketball, there needs to be an ACC/SEC Challenge

Reactions: 76champ
I'd rather play a Big East team for nostalgia. An SEC challenge could be good too, though I doubt we'd ever get Pitt - Kentucky.

I'd rather play a Big East team for nostalgia. An SEC challenge could be good too, though I doubt we'd ever get Pitt - Kentucky.
Instead of the annual B1G challenge game, give us a neutral site game in NYC around Thanksgiving when the students aren’t on campus (something like UConn, Seton Hall, or St John’s at MSG or Barclays) and a home/home with a team like Georgetown to get a game in DC, or DePaul to get a game in Chicago, or Providence to get a game up in New England when we aren’t playing at BC. There’s no reason to have a home/home against Vanderbilt - it doesn’t do anything for us in recruiting.

Then we can do the neutral site tournaments in warm-weather locations that the team would enjoy going to, rather than stuff like the Legends Classic just to get games on the schedule in NYC.

Instead of the annual B1G challenge game, give us a neutral site game in NYC around Thanksgiving when the students aren’t on campus (something like UConn, Seton Hall, or St John’s at MSG or Barclays) and a home/home with a team like Georgetown to get a game in DC, or DePaul to get a game in Chicago, or Providence to get a game up in New England when we aren’t playing at BC. There’s no reason to have a home/home against Vanderbilt - it doesn’t do anything for us in recruiting.

Then we can do the neutral site tournaments in warm-weather locations that the team would enjoy going to, rather than stuff like the Legends Classic just to get games on the schedule in NYC.
Can't imagine any of the old Big East teams are going to do us a solid and help us out with recruiting. Right?

I hope it is dropped. Too much tied into an OCC game and we never get to play the enablers so get rid of it.
We played PSU in the 2017-2018 but I’m not sure what there would be a particular interest in playing them in hoops regardless.

We played PSU in the 2017-2018 but I’m not sure what there would be a particular interest in playing them in hoops regardless.
Penn State absolutely torpedoing that Stallings team to hell was a particularly grim moment in that season. Though I don’t think it was a challenge game; I think it was either a Legends Classic game or a one-off neutral site game in NYC. We’ve only played them in the ACC/BIG challenge once, the home game in 2013-14.

Reactions: levance2
Penn State absolutely torpedoing that Stallings team to hell was a particularly grim moment in that season. Though I don’t think it was a challenge game; I think it was either a Legends Classic game or a one-off neutral site game in NYC. We’ve only played them in the ACC/BIG challenge once, the home game in 2013-14.
You are correct- it was a two game Tourney at the Barclays. We lost to OK State the game after. We actually weren’t in the challenge that year. But my thought was that we did indeed play PSU.

I'd look forward to games against St. John's Nova, and Georgetown. History there plus good recruiting areas.

I'd look forward to games against St. John's Nova, and Georgetown. History there plus good recruiting areas.
There's no way any of those schools are going to schedule Pitt and help us out after deflecting. How Syracuse makes it happen, I don't know. I guess because they have more cache and are considered a meaningful historical rival?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT