ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Championship thread

persp

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2001
Live on ACCNx

Newell loses late to Prata 6-4

Matthews jumped out.to an early lead and need a late escape to beat Courtney from UVA 7-6

I missed the match but I believe Bulsak got pinned by Spencer of UVA

Taleb got a pin in his match

Wentzel with and impressive 8-1 win over a former NCAA qualifier in Anderson from Duke

Nino with a first period pin over Blake from Duke. Second pin of Blake by Nino this season. Nino taking care of business

Phillippi beats Hayes 1-0. Hayes is scrappy. Gave Phillippi all he could handle

Wow, Matthews nearly pins Tariq Wilson with a late cement mixer. I thought he had him nailed. Ends up losing 10-9

Reactions: Chaos and upitt98
Yeah buddy!!! Wentzel with the huge upset of Monday from UNC....

Well, we think. UNC is challenging

Reactions: upitt98
Harvey loses in OT 5-4. Harvey seemed to gas out. Not like him at all

Nino goes down to Hidlay in OT 3-2. Kind of thought Hidlay could have been tagged for stalling for pushing Nino out of bounds repeatedly, but no call.

Stout loses 4-0 in the most uninspiring way. Looked like he didnt care

UNC is the surprise with 5 finalists. NC State with 6, as expected; Pitt with 4; VT with 3; UVA with 2. Duke will go home with 2 points I believe. Is that the lowest score ever?

Positive surprises: Wentzel and Talib. Negative: Harvey. This is a guy who never looks tired and is always strong in the 3rd period. But, he blew a lead and, as others have noted, looked gassed. Stoudt, who wrestled so well in his last 7 matches, came out and put in a minimum effort.

Of the 6 losses, 4 were close matches. Harvey and Nino lost in OT. Newell lost with 4 seconds to go. Matthews list on riding time. I thought for sure Matthews was going to get the pin. For a match that ended 9-8, there were a lot of stalling calls. Not sure if the stalling points ended up balancing. Micky just doesn’t have much offense. Any hope that he was saving it for the tournament disappeared.

I would think Nino and Harvey are in. Matthews might get a bid. We could get 7.

To me, the most disappointing thing was losing all those close matches: Two in OT. One in riding time and one with 4 seconds left. When you are wrestling at home and with the crowd supporting you, you expect to win those.

UNC is having a great tournament. Coleman Scott is doing an amazing job there. They lost 2 upsets (both to us) and still put 5 into the finals.

I haven’t seen the team scores. I imagine we are third, since we have gotten a few bonus points. Whether we finish second, third or fourth will depend on how we and UNC and VT do tonight.

Stout loses 4-0 in the most uninspiring way. Looked like he didnt care
that's been my general consensus when I've watched him wrestle...ho hum, I have a wrestling match.....probably one of the few times I didn't think that was senior night, and I was hoping that might springboard him into a good postseason.
EDIT: Stout looked much better in his 2nd bout. Kudos to him rebounding like that.

Last edited:
As of the latest standings on the Pitt website (1 hour old), NC State leads with 74 points. Pitt is second with 68. UNC is third with 58.5. I’m assuming that includes all of the third place matches.

Both NC State (6) and UNC (5) have more finalists that us (4).

BTW, PSU finished 4th in the Big Ten, behind Iowa, Nebraska and tOSU. When do the Fire Cael posts start appearing on the PSU sites? Next year, they will have zero returning NCAA qualifiers at 149, 157, 165, 174 and 197 and, possibly, Hwt.

Last edited:
Very nice 3rd place round for Pitt. Hoping for some finals surprised from Rahmani and Wentzel. Phillipi and Meech look ready to grab at least two crowns. Ended up with incredible seats. Getting antsy.

Is Harvey sick? He looks like he's fighting the flu or something. Glad to see him pull out his match
Said the exact same thing to my buddy. He looked lethargic in his last two matches. I was surprised he was able to get 3rd. Looked done.

I’m assuming those scores include the 2nd place points because it’s too many points otherwise.

If so, it will be very tough for Pitt to catch NC State. If we win all 4, we would have 80 points, excluding bonus points. NC State would need to win only 3 of 6 or win 2 with a bonus point.

Rahmani faces Hidley of NC State, who he has never beaten. If he loses, we can’t catch them.

Conversely, if we win two matches, UNC can’t catch us unless they go 5 for 5 and get one more bonus point than we do.

UVA only can catch us if we go 0-4 and they win both of their matches by pins. Mathematically, VT can’t catch us.

Reactions: WillardYears
Wentzel with the upset of McFadden, 3-1. Great ride out to seal the win! ACC champ #2!!!

That was close. He relaxed a second too early and almost got reversed. Great win as the #4 seed, beating #1 and #3. Fantastic job on top. Only point he gave up was the penalty point for grabbing the headgear.

Reactions: Chaos
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT