ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Championship thread

How does team scoring g work?
How does team scoring g work?

You get one point for each win. A bonus point for a major decision; 2 bonus points for a tech fall; 3 for a pin.

4 bonus points for a 3rd place finish; 7 for finishing 2nd; and 10 for winning your weight class.

For Pitt, Wentzel scored a point for his semi-final win and 10 for winning the final. I don’t remember if he had a first round match. If he did, that is another point.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I'm no wrestling expert, so I'll put out the question to those who know the sport as to how the Panthers wrestlers performed today?

Agree. On feet is where he excels though he ha a good ride today.
Agree, definitely better on his feet, plus he had a big lead in riding time to protect. The other wrestler was a big guy which gives him trouble on the bottom at times. It worked out, but didn't need to be that close at the end.

I'm no wrestling expert, so I'll put out the question to those who know the sport as to how the Panthers wrestlers performed today?

Really, overall they wrestled well. The only bad matches were Stoudt’s first and Taleb’s final. But, Hidlay is an absolute beast and he can dominate anyone.

The key match from a team perspective was Nino’s close loss in OT to the other Hidlay. If he wins that, it is at least a six point swing in the scores. Nino finishes no worse than second and Hidlay no better than third. Also, Harvey’s loss; however, I think we will find out that he was less than 100% physically.

From Stephen Patrick who was there, "It happened, Pitt would have won 80.5 to 79.5 they had an ACC team title stolen by an incompetent ref" He was talking about a non pin call for Mathews against an NC St wrestler.

From Stephen Patrick who was there, "It happened, Pitt would have won 80.5 to 79.5 they had an ACC team title stolen by an incompetent ref" He was talking about a non pin call for Mathews against an NC St wrestler.

Did Gavin throw a brick and protest the call? They showed the sequence during the championship matches and one commentator said it “looked like a pin.” I’m not sure if they can reverse a non-pin call. They can award back points, which Cole was given anyway, but I don’t know if they can award a pin.

I don’t remember him challenging anything there. It happened so fast and they didn’t show any replays at the arena so I wasn’t sure if Cole has him before he bridged out. So Wilson was pinned there?

I don’t remember him challenging anything there. It happened so fast and they didn’t show any replays at the arena so I wasn’t sure if Cole has him before he bridged out. So Wilson was pinned there?
No, no pin there. The refs were slow to call pins all tournament so that was consistent with the way it was being called. Matthews should have never let him off his back though. He was decked

Rahmani getting stomped. I think this seals it for the Wolfpack
Rahmani got the worst matchup for the final. Hidley is too dang tough and solid of a wrestler. Hidley's only loss this year was to Deakin who seems to be wrestling extremely well. Definitely a huge improvement for the team overall. Being able to come up close to an ACC title tells you this staff and team are getting close. Add some more solid wrestlers. I've always followed VT wrestling, and jumping ahead of VT and an upset against McFadden was great.

Live on ACCNx

Newell loses late to Prata 6-4

Matthews jumped out.to an early lead and need a late escape to beat Courtney from UVA 7-6

I missed the match but I believe Bulsak got pinned by Spencer of UVA

Taleb got a pin in his match

Wentzel with and impressive 8-1 win over a former NCAA qualifier in Anderson from Duke

Seems like very good performance by our guys. Nationals will be interesting.

Rahmani got the worst matchup for the final. Hidley is too dang tough and solid of a wrestler. Hidley's only loss this year was to Deakin who seems to be wrestling extremely well. Definitely a huge improvement for the team overall. Being able to come up close to an ACC title tells you this staff and team are getting close. Add some more solid wrestlers. I've always followed VT wrestling, and jumping ahead of VT and an upset against McFadden was great.
Always nice to finish ahead of VT, no matter what the sport is. H2P

Reactions: Pitt MD and upitt98
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT