ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Rankings

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Here are the KenPom rankings of the ACC teams as of this morning (prior to any of today's games):

12----Duke
17----UNC
24----Virginia
44----Miami
47----Pitt
49----Clemson
55----NC State
57----VA Tech
71----Wake Forest
76----Fla State
112---Syracuse
125---Bost. Col.
133---GA Tech
183---Louisville
201---N. Dame

Torvik
7 Duke
19 UNC
37 Clemson
49 Virginia
50 Miami
51 VT
56 NCST
63 Pitt
81 WF
82 FSU
93 GT
104 BC
118 Cuse
184 Lville
225 ND

I also like Evan Miyakawa’s ratings (www.evanmiya.com)

Pitt is #51, seventh in the ACC.
Just don’t know how 6 ACC teams can be better than Pitt right now. I’m sure that’s stated with a ton of homerism in me and the fact that I’ve watched Pitt for 3 games and all the others for only snippets here and there. I’ll be happy when I see Pitt around 4-5 in the conference, and I’ll be thrilled if that swells even higher.

Just don’t know how 6 ACC teams can be better than Pitt right now. I’m sure that’s stated with a ton of homerism in me and the fact that I’ve watched Pitt for 3 games and all the others for only snippets here and there. I’ll be happy when I see Pitt around 4-5 in the conference, and I’ll be thrilled if that swells even higher.
I think we’re #4 or #5 right now. Duke, UNC, Miami, and probably Virginia. Most of these have Clemson and Virginia Tech ahead of us, and I just don’t really buy VT at all. Maybe Clemson, but I like our athletes against them.

Here are the KenPom rankings of the ACC teams as of this morning (prior to any of today's games):

12----Duke
17----UNC
24----Virginia
44----Miami
47----Pitt
49----Clemson
55----NC State
57----VA Tech
71----Wake Forest
76----Fla State
112---Syracuse
125---Bost. Col.
133---GA Tech
183---Louisville
201---N. Dame

Here's all you need to know about these early rankings.

Wisconsin #33 is 1-2 with a really bad loss where they never were in the game to Providence who now 3-0 and #47. 🤔🙄🤔🙄

Reactions: MTkeeper23
Its Duke, UNC (based on talent but poor coaching), Miami, and UVa (based on coaching but poor talent). After that, Pitt, Clemson, NC State and others could be #5 and really up to #3 depending on if UNC coaching or UVa talent bring those teams down

Its Duke, UNC (based on talent but poor coaching), Miami, and UVa (based on coaching but poor talent). After that, Pitt, Clemson, NC State and others could be #5 and really up to #3 depending on if UNC coaching or UVa talent bring those teams down
UVA has poor talent???

It's certainly nowhere near elite. But if you like recruiting rankings, most of their guys are Top 50-150ish. I wouldn't call that poor. But yeah, it's not Duke, UNC, or even Miami.

UVA may not be as good defensively as in the past. McKneely is a bit of a liability defensively, and they don't have a rim protector as in years past, but they should be pretty good once again.

For reference last year's quadrants:
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

ACC Anchors
112---Syracuse
125---Bost. Col.
133---GA Tech
183---Louisville
201---N. Dame

UVA has poor talent???

It's certainly nowhere near elite. But if you like recruiting rankings, most of their guys are Top 50-150ish. I wouldn't call that poor. But yeah, it's not Duke, UNC, or even Miami.

UVA may not be as good defensively as in the past. McKneely is a bit of a liability defensively, and they don't have a rim protector as in years past, but they should be pretty good once again.

A exaggeration I guess but they are going to go like 16-4 in the ACC with players who shouldn't.

Virginia doesn't lack talent as much as it lacks experience. Two players (Beekman and Dunn) are showing up in NBA draft projections (Beekman was projected as a 2nd round selection last year). McKneely is as good a marksman as a team could want, and he isn't the defensive liability you might think. If you put any value in recruiting rankings, RSCI had Gertrude, McKneely, Bond, and Buchanan all in their Top 75. Also, Andrew Rohde may turn out to be a great transfer portal steal. At 6'6", he was unheralded coming out of high school, but he was the Summit League's Freshman of the Year, and he can shoot the ball with range. As I said, there is good talent on the squad, but precious little experience. With the exception of Beekman, everyone I've mentioned is either in their first or second year.

Virginia doesn't lack talent as much as it lacks experience. Two players (Beekman and Dunn) are showing up in NBA draft projections (Beekman was projected as a 2nd round selection last year). McKneely is as good a marksman as a team could want, and he isn't the defensive liability you might think. If you put any value in recruiting rankings, RSCI had Gertrude, McKneely, Bond, and Buchanan all in their Top 75. Also, Andrew Rohde may turn out to be a great transfer portal steal. At 6'6", he was unheralded coming out of high school, but he was the Summit League's Freshman of the Year, and he can shoot the ball with range. As I said, there is good talent on the squad, but precious little experience. With the exception of Beekman, everyone I've mentioned is either in their first or second year.

Yea but I guess I'm saying they arent like 27-6 talented but that's what they'll go. If Kenny Payne was coaching them, they wouldn't go .500

Reactions: 73CAV
I don't put much stock in these pre season predictions. However, I
did add mine to the list. I picked Duke, UNC, And Miami at the top
along with Virginia. No stroke of genius there, talent, and in UVA's
case, experience and coaching. The team I predicted making it into
that top group is Clemson. They have P.J. Hall, who IMO is very
underrated. As of now, and it's early, he's 21.3 ppg, and 7 rpg.

They also have Girard who trnsferred in from Syracuse, and a few
others who can really play. They also have a way of shooting thenselves
in the foot every year. They're good, and I feel they're due.

With I-Mac, it's a bit of a trade off. You saw what the defense looked like last night with perimeter lock down defenders on the floor.

Dunn is a beast.

Dunn is a beast.
Very true. I am unsure what the ceiling is for this edition of the 'Hoos. I think SMF's 27-6 prediction is a bit optimistic. I wouldn't complain, but there are too many unknowns to say that now. There are some nice strengths to this squad and some glaring concerns. Defensive rebounding is huge question mark right now, and, with that, front court depth and size could become issues. On the other hand, Coach Bennett has more playable depth than Virginia has had recently, and the talent is varied enough to allow match-up adjustments without sacrificing too much. That said, I suspect that this team is still a year away from making serious noise nationally. Replacing Beekman next year will be a challenge, but a very solid core should return, and there are three true frosh redshirting this year who should contribute. And, while the 2024 recruiting class is a bit small, it does add more shooting and front court size. It could be a very special year if Dunn elects to return.

Last edited:
Virginia doesn't lack talent as much as it lacks experience.

They dropped 41 on Wisconsin today. UVa is a below average team offensively but will win a ton, get a great seed and be gone the 1st weekend. Rinse and repeat.

I have said this before but why are they allowing UVa and Wisconsin to play each other? This is the 2nd tim this has happened in recent years. People need to be smarter than this. Might as well televise middle school basketball as that's more entertaining

They dropped 41 on Wisconsin today. UVa is a below average team offensively but will win a ton, get a great seed and be gone the 1st weekend. Rinse and repeat.

I have said this before but why are they allowing UVa and Wisconsin to play each other? This is the 2nd tim this has happened in recent years. People need to be smarter than this. Might as well televise middle school basketball as that's more entertaining
Wash, rinse, repeat... Except for that National Championship Trophy sitting at the entrance of JPJ Arena.

It's far too soon to say what UVA will look like come March. And there is absolutely no guarantee this team will even get a bid to the NCAA Tournament, much less a high seed.

So far, they have played 2 decent opponents. They got a close win vs Florida and were curb stomped by Wisconsin. The Gators & Badgers aren't very good teams, yet both really exposed UVA's frontcourt. UVA has issues and a lot of things to figure out before conference play begins.

Wash, rinse, repeat... Except for that National Championship Trophy sitting at the entrance of JPJ Arena.

It's far too soon to say what UVA will look like come March. And there is absolutely no guarantee this team will even get a bid to the NCAA Tournament, much less a high seed.

So far, they have played 2 decent opponents. They got a close win vs Florida and were curb stomped by Wisconsin. The Gators & Badgers aren't very good teams, yet both really exposed UVA's frontcourt. UVA has issues and a lot of things to figure out before conference play begins.

Which is why I said they have poor talent (though exaggerating). They have the trophy due to 2 1st Rounders + elite coaching.

Which is why I said they have poor talent (though exaggerating). They have the trophy due to 2 1st Rounders + elite coaching.
And, in case no one noticed, in all those first round losses in the NCAAT, there were significant personnel losses preceding those games. Since 2012, Virginia has made the NCAAT nine of eleven times (no tournament in 2020). On the two occasions UVa missed the tournament, the team was full of players inexperienced with Coach Bennett's schemes. When the squad entered the tournament healthy (2014, 2016, & 2019), they made it to the Sweet 16, the Elite 8, and won the title. Injuries and illness were factors in all the other years. In 2012, Virginia had to burn Jesperson's redshirt just to get seven scholarship players on the floor, and Harris was starting with a cast on his left wrist. In 2015, Justin Anderson had just returned from both a wrist injury and an appendectomy and wasn't near 100% (but, they still won the first round game before losing to Michigan State). Isaiah Wilkins was out in 2017. DeAndre Hunter missed the tournament in 2018, and in 2021, Justin McKoy tested positive after UVa's first game in the ACCT, and Virginia was locked down until the morning of the loss to Ohio. Last year, the starting center, Vander Plas, was injured the day before Virginia's first game in the ACCT, and was done for the season. Part of the superior coaching, to which you refer, is that Virginia plays like a well oiled machine. All the parts have to be functioning properly. It does not do especially well if a key element is removed. If you want to predict UVa's success in the NCAAT, look to see if there are any significant injuries.

Last edited:
And, in case no one noticed, in all those first round losses in the NCAAT, there were significant personnel losses preceding those games. Since 2012, Virginia has made the NCAAT nine of eleven times (no tournament in 2020). On the two occasions UVa missed the tournament, the team was full of players inexperienced with Coach Bennett's schemes. When the squad entered the tournament healthy (2014, 2016, & 2019), they made it to the Sweet 16, the Elite 8, and won the title. Injuries and illness were factors in all the other years. In 2012, Virginia had to burn Jesperson's redshirt just to get seven scholarship players on the floor, and Harris was starting with a cast on his left wrist. In 2015, Justin Anderson had just returned from both a wrist injury and an appendectomy and wasn't near 100% (but, they still won the first round game before losing to Michigan State). Isaiah Wilkins was out in 2017. DeAndre Hunter missed the tournament in 2018, and in 2021, Justin McKoy tested positive after UVa's first game in the ACCT, and Virginia was locked down until the morning of the loss to Ohio. Last year, the starting center, Vander Plas, was injured the day before Virginia's first game in the ACCT, and was done for the season. Part of the superior coaching, to which you refer, is that Virginia plays like a well oiled machine. All the parts have to be functioning properly. It does not do especially well if a key element is removed. If you want to predict UVa's success in the NCAAT, look to see if there are any significant injuries.

Its true they were missing players but if you are like a high seed you should be able to beat a bad seed. But, UVa is mechanical as you inferred. They are robots. Everyone has to play their role to a T or they cant win.

12----Duke
17----UNC
24----Virginia
44----Miami
47----Pitt
49----Clemson
55----NC State
57----VA Tech
71----Wake Forest
76----Fla State
112---Syracuse
125---Bost. Col.
133---GA Tech
183---Louisville
201---N. Dame

Latest KenPom for ACC:

12—Duke
13—UNC
34–Miami
41–Virginia
42–Pitt
47–Clemson

Accurate. I'd throw in VT/NCSU because they are always in the hunt. Duke and Miami are locked. So its 6 teams for 3-4 spots. Pitt, Clem, UNC UVa, VT, NCSU for those last 3-4

Accurate. I'd throw in VT/NCSU because they are always in the hunt. Duke and Miami are locked. So its 6 teams for 3-4 spots. Pitt, Clem, UNC UVa, VT, NCSU for those last 3-4
Acc has a real chance to get 7-8 this year. Plenty of really good OOC wins.

You know Duke, Miami, UVA, and probably (UNC) are gonna make it. I think it’s Pitt, Va Tech, Nc St, Clemson for 3 spots, with an outside chance they all make it. Va Tech might win the Orlando tourney, wins over Iowa St and Boise already (both NCAA quality teams). Clemson is really good. NC St has a big one with BYU tonight, winning early.

No chance ACC only gets 5 this year. Huge bounce back year from last year. Basketball royalty reclaiming it’s throne.

Already had ND beat Ok St, plenty of P5 wins even by the bottom teams. FSU beat a top 25 Colorado team. Very few WTF losses for the league. I think ND had one, but again, beat a Big 12 team.

You know Duke, Miami, UVA, and probably (UNC) are gonna make it. I think it’s Pitt, Va Tech, Nc St, Clemson for 3 spots, with an outside chance they all make it. Va Tech might win the Orlando tourney, wins over Iowa St and Boise already (both NCAA quality teams). Clemson is really good. NC St has a big one with BYU tonight, winning early.

No chance ACC only gets 5 this year. Huge bounce back year from last year. Basketball royalty reclaiming it’s throne.

Already had ND beat Ok St, plenty of P5 wins even by the bottom teams. FSU beat a top 25 Colorado team. Very few WTF losses for the league. I think ND had one, but again, beat a Big 12 team.
I agree up to this point. ACC better than last year, especially in the middle.

I agree up to this point. ACC better than last year, especially in the middle.
Even the bottom too. Louisville showed signs of life in losses to Indiana and Texas. Wake isn’t awwwful. BC has won some games. FSU is obviously much better.

ACC seems about the same at the top as last year, but significantly better like 4-9, and moderately better 10-15.

The league is better and they do have a shot at 7-8. But 6 is a pretty safe bet. Probably not as few as 5 but slightly possible.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
The league is better and they do have a shot at 7-8. But 6 is a pretty safe bet. Probably not as few as 5 but slightly possible.
7 feels like the right number this year, but if the league does well next week who knows.

Like I said, I think the ACC wins the challenge.

LSU at Cuse —— Cuse
Miss St at GT —— Miss St
Notre Dame at South Carolina - USC
Mizzou at Pitt - Pitt
Miami at Kentucky - Miami
NC St at Ole Miss - Tough call, Nc St
Clemson at Bama - Bama, but close
Tennessee at UNC - UNC
Texas Am at UVA - UVA (tough road spot for Aggies)
Florida at WF - Florida
Duke at Arkansas - Duke (big)
VT at Auburn - VT (big)
Georgia at FSU - FSU
BC at Vandy - BC? Vandy is pretty bad

I have it 10-4 ACC with some ACC goggles on, but the ACC got the better of the matchups. Duke at Arkansas, esp with the kid hurt, is nbd for Duke, but teams like UNC and UVA get big advantages at home IMO.

Reactions: BFo8
Even the bottom too. Louisville showed signs of life in losses to Indiana and Texas. Wake isn’t awwwful. BC has won some games. FSU is obviously much better.

ACC seems about the same at the top as last year, but significantly better like 4-9, and moderately better 10-15.
Exactly.

7 feels like the right number this year, but if the league does well next week who knows.

LSU at Cuse —— Cuse
Miss St at GT —— Miss St
Mizzou at Pitt - Pitt
Tennessee at UNC - UNC
Florida at WF - Florida
VT at Auburn - VT (big)
Georgia at FSU - FSU

I have it 10-4 ACC with some ACC goggles on, but the ACC got the better of the matchups. Duke at Arkansas, esp with the kid hurt, is nbd for Duke, but teams like UNC and UVA get big advantages at home IMO.
Miami at Kentucky is a toss up, should be one of the better games.

I think NC St beats Ole Miss. Ole Miss is nothing special and will finish near bottom in conference.

Clemson vs Bama is another toss up. Clemson def has a shot.

I wound not be surprised to see Tenn beat UNC. UNC is still soft and Tenn can play D as good as anyone.

A&M at UVA is another really good game and toss up.

I disagree and think Auburn beats VT. Auburn has some real talent this year and I think they win at home.

I think 7-7.

LSU at Cuse —— Cuse
Miss St at GT —— Miss St
Mizzou at Pitt - Pitt
Tennessee at UNC - UNC
Florida at WF - Florida
VT at Auburn - VT (big)
Georgia at FSU - FSU

I agree with most except:

A&M over UVa. UVa has terrible offensive players. Wont score more than 60.

Georgia over FSU. FSU usually takes Nov/Dec off

NC St - Ole Miss: close but Ole Miss at home

Miami at Kentucky is a toss up, should be one of the better games.

I think NC St beats Ole Miss. Ole Miss is nothing special and will finish near bottom in conference.

Clemson vs Bama is another toss up. Clemson def has a shot.

I wound not be surprised to see Tenn beat UNC. UNC is still soft and Tenn can play D as good as anyone.

A&M at UVA is another really good game and toss up.

I disagree and think Auburn beats VT. Auburn has some real talent this year and I think they win at home.

I think 7-7.
I think Tennessee, TAMU, & Auburn all win.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT