ADVERTISEMENT

ACC sport to dump/pickup

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
Cross country you're outta here(just jog on your own like everyone else).
Rugby Sevens...love it.

Reactions: Dan1911
Rugby Sevens...love it.

Yeah, that's not happening because it is really, really dumb to drop XC, which by the way is an extremely cheap sport to sponsor, when you have a T&F program. Unless, of course, you are trying to destroy your T&F program then that might be a thing to do. XC, indoor, and outdoor T&F count as 3 sports and use the same scholarship pool. And they are all sponsored by every ACC school.

Rugby sevens is not a varsity sport at any ACC school.

Reactions: ChazzMo
Add Golf. Easy sell if you can partner with a nice private club in Pittsburgh and possibly play Oakmont on mondays when it's closed for members.

Pitt golf would be cool.

ACC golf championship at Oakmont.

The conference would
Not mind that.

Why not??

Reactions: Chaos
If you strip out finances, title IX, facilities, etc and just go based on the sports I like, I'd add lacrosse and drop tennis.

Yeah, that's not happening because it is really, really dumb to drop XC, which by the way is an extremely cheap sport to sponsor, when you have a T&F program. Unless, of course, you are trying to destroy your T&F program then that might be a thing to do. XC, indoor, and outdoor T&F count as 3 sports and use the same scholarship pool. And they are all sponsored by every ACC school.

Rugby sevens is not a varsity sport at any ACC school.
Chess is cheap too but no one gives a schitt about it..

really, really dumb to drop XC
...not sure why it is that dumb to drop a boring jog and replace it (hypo-freaking-thetically for fun off season discussion) with an exciting "done in two beers" slugfest of a game...

but in any case, like pissing in corn flakes eh?

Add golf. It's a quick add, relatively cheap. Wake Forest vs PITT rivalry over who owns Arnold Palmer would be legendary!!!!

Sadly....drop soccer. We cannot compete with the southern schools.

Add lacrosse. Tons of talent in our back yard and the fastest growing sport in America.

Chess is cheap too but no one gives a schitt about it..

really, really dumb to drop XC
...not sure why it is that dumb to drop a boring jog and replace it (hypo-freaking-thetically for fun off season discussion) with an exciting "done in two beers" slugfest of a game...

but in any case, like pissing in corn flakes eh?

You are right, it was stupid to even respond to such an unbelievably dumb post that couldn't even follow the criteria of its own heading.

Last edited:
Why drop a sport that's been taking off? The reason why we haven't competed against the southern schools is because we used a "smoke 'n mirrors" approach to competing: we under-funded the program and hired subpar coaches. So of course we didn't compete with the better programs.

Over the years, we did the same thing to wrestling, too.

No one has ever done a better job of defeating Pitt athletes than Pitt's Administration. Hopefully, in the Heather Lyke Era, Pitt is turning things around.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Why drop a sport that's been taking off? The reason why we haven't competed against the southern schools is because we used a "smoke 'n mirrors" approach to competing: we under-funded the program and hired subpar coaches. So of course we didn't compete with the better programs.

Over the years, we did the same thing to wrestling, too.

No one has ever done a better job of defeating Pitt athletes than Pitt's Administration. Hopefully, in the Heather Lyke Era, Pitt is turning things around.

Not only do we have A-level soccer coaches now, maybe more importantly, the fact that they actually decided to come to Pitt is evidence that people believe Pitt soccer can win.

Add lacrosse. Tons of talent in our back yard and the fastest growing sport in America.

Both the men's and women's soccer programs now have head coaches that have won national championships and national coach of the year honors. The men, in Vidovich's second season, beat multiple ranked teams and almost made the NCAA tournament this year. Pitt's 2018 men's recruiting class is ranked 5th in the nation.

Get up to Ambrose Urbanic Field. You'll like what you see.

Last edited:
Boob luge seems to be very popular these days, but I doubt Pitt can compete with the talent at Clemson, FSU, and Miami. Obviously Georgia Tech would be the worst.

Reactions: PittIsIt17
Im not even a soccer fan, but dropping it would be dumb. Its the biggest sport in the world and continues to even grow in the states.

Pitt's golf team used to use Wildwood Golf Club as its home course. I'm pretty sure that the course record is still held by an Ohio State golfer named Jack Nicklaus.

It would be pretty hard to truly compete in ACC golf, since most of the schools are in areas that would allow for 10-11 months of play, if not 12. The weather up this way just isn't conducive. There's some local talent here, but not enough to carry a team against the likes of Wake Forest.

As well, Oakmont probably would never permit the ACC championship to take place there. They are quite arrogant about what they have to offer. They had the PGA there in the late 70's and when approached in the late 80s about another slot, they shot it down very quickly. They are only interested in the men's and women's Open, and they'd take the US Amateur again if asked nicely. I know a number of members there, and humility is not their strong suit.

On the other hand, the Fox Chapel Golf Club is a great venue and would be a worthy location for the ACC championship.

Rugby Sevens...love it.
Nick Wolk on the CC team is setting records left and right. May be in the Olympics some day.

Rugby Sevens...love it.
Lacrosse would provide for the biggest television impact. Golf would be good as well for about half the scholarships needed for Lacrosse. So Golf could be done for less money if Pitts has access to a Golf Course and facilities.

Pitt's golf team used to use Wildwood Golf Club as its home course. I'm pretty sure that the course record is still held by an Ohio State golfer named Jack Nicklaus.

It would be pretty hard to truly compete in ACC golf, since most of the schools are in areas that would allow for 10-11 months of play, if not 12. The weather up this way just isn't conducive. There's some local talent here, but not enough to carry a team against the likes of Wake Forest.

As well, Oakmont probably would never permit the ACC championship to take place there. They are quite arrogant about what they have to offer. They had the PGA there in the late 70's and when approached in the late 80s about another slot, they shot it down very quickly. They are only interested in the men's and women's Open, and they'd take the US Amateur again if asked nicely. I know a number of members there, and humility is not their strong suit.

On the other hand, the Fox Chapel Golf Club is a great venue and would be a worthy location for the ACC championship.

Thanks for posting. Did not know the oakmont mindset. FC is a beautiful place and would serve nicely as a venue.

Btw......golf would be rather easy to have both men and women's teams.

I hope Heather looks into this.

I believe that Pitt actually owned Wildwood at one time. I don't know any of the details, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT