ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Wrestling Tournament Seeds & Brackets Released

singregardless

Redshirt
Jul 3, 2012
The #10 Panthers had three wrestlers earn #1 seeds: Zanetta, Mack, and Wilps. The three individual 1 seeds are tied with Virginia for most in-conference.

Zanetta - 1
Mack - 1
Bright - 2
Racciato - 4
Garbinsky - 6
Morelli - 4
Wilps - 1
Thomusseit - 2
Bonaccorsi - 2
Tasser - 3

Edgar got robbed. His body of work in-conference was better than Carter's, even though I think Carter is better this year. That's balanced out (barely) by Zanetta & Mack getting 1's & Tasser getting a 3. I secretly really like Garbinsky's draw, I think it has finals written all over it.

Bracket can be found here.

Predictions on Tourney eve (Chalk heavy)...

I'm going Pitt to take 4 of 10 individual titles and bring the trophy home(!)

125 - Zanetta (Back against the wall will get him the focus he needs to win #4)
133 - Mack (He's the key in my mind)
141 - Carter (VT) - If he's healthy, he's the standard. Major credit to Edgar if he slogs to the final
149 - Sako (UVA)
157 - Butler (UVA) - Garbinsky surprises to the final.
165- Sulzer (UVA)
174 - Wilps (Our best guy this year finally gets #1 - going to be sweet, he earned it)
184 - Thomusseit (Too good to see him falling to Sheptock thrice. Additionally, if our seniors perform to seed, the momentum after Ty's win (tying us at 3 champs with UVA) could be the perfect storm.)
197 - Boley (MD)
HWT - Gwiazdowski (NC St)

125 Zanetta made it to the finals.

133 Mack suffered a brain cramp. Up 2-1 on the bottom he went for a reversal and pin and instead got pinned by a freshman from Maryland.

141 Bright in finals but Carter looks like a beast.

149 Mikey in the finals. Beat the top seed in the semis. Got a quick 5 points when Sako made a big mistake early and hung on for 10-8 win. Spent the final 1:20 running off the mat and got two stalling calls against him.

157 Garbinsky lost in first round but won consolation match.

165 Morelli won first match and got dominated by top seed in semis. He can't handle strong opponents.

174 Wilps in finals. Won major decision in semis.

184 Max in finals with workmanlike but not outstanding wins.

197 Bono won first match but lost 4-3 in semis.

Hwt Tasser won first match with major decision but lost in OT in semis.

Five Pitt wrestlers in finals. I think Bono and PJ can make NCAAs if the win consolation matches. Only 2 qualify at 133, 157 and 165 so no qualifiers there. Seven qualifiers would be decent showing; 6 acceptable; 5 and we won't finish in the top 20 there.

We lead UVA by 7 points but they have 2 almost locks in finals and 2 more with a good shot. We lead VT by 10. They are still in the hunt.

If Shelton finishes third, he will get an At Large. Tasser has a tough one against Haynes from UVA who he is 1-1 against this year. He wins he goes, he loses... well I still expect him to get an at-large.

Garbinsky lost again so hes not qualifying. Geno wins out and takes third he has an outside shot at an At Large. Bono will go easily barring injury.

So right now still an outside shot at 9. 7 pretty much locked up. 8, as predicted, is most likely.

Mack will have to win to finish third and have a shot at an at large berth. Garbinsky out. Morelli wrestles for third but doesn't have the record to get an at large slot. Bono lost another 4-3 match. He needs to win the 5th place match to qualify. PJ is in after beating UVA Hwt.

Pitt has a small lead going into the finals and 3rd place matches.

Bono is the big disappointment to me. Had the lead twice going into the third period and lost both matches by a point.

Finals start in 2 hours on ESPN 3. Announcers are terrible though.

Zanetta vs Dance at 125 and Max vs Sheptock at 184 are the key matches to winning the title IMO. I don't give Bright or Mikey much of a chance. I really expected Bono to be in the finals.

Both matches Bono lost were almost the exact same. Early td. Gives up a td late in the second. Cant get the winning ride or td in the third. Disappointing indeed.

IF Morelli would have beaten Moon, which he didnt, he would have had a chance. Record was bad, but was top 33 coaches ranking, top 20 rpi and had a couple notable wins (Yates and Leblanc). Mightve been enough to get him in, but it doesnt matter at this point.

Dance already won for third, so we need Zanetta to win in the finals to negate Dance's points. Tasser has a big one against Walz - could make or break the team score, as could Edgar/Carter. Dont sleep on Edgar - the stomping he put on Henderson was impressive and Carter has to be at least a little bit rusty.

Truthfully though, I'm not feeling the most confident at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT