ADVERTISEMENT

After all the Hysteria and Histrionics.....DEEP BREATHS

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Just some bullet point thoughts.

1) This was not what we expected. But it is what it is.
2) We can stomp our feet and cry and whine, act petulant, but again it is not changing things.
3) Negative vibes and tweets and constant complaining is resonating with recruits. Congrats.
4) A lot of times when Pitt would lose and people would bitch and moan, there was a certain group of posters who would admonish those, as not getting worked up over things they can't control. Well I would like to reciprocate that advice to those who would dispense that advice.
5) Stallings is not the sexy hire. At all. But he has been successful. As successful as Jamie? No. But Jamie's last 5 years have been Vanderbilt like.
6) Just again some food for thought......One of the worst Syracuse team's on the last 3 decades is going at least one round further (Final 4) than our best team of the last 30 years. So hey, maybe another route to try and get to the Final 4 is the way to go.
7) We Pitt fans are weak. We divide. We don't divide and conquer, we divide, hold grudges, leave and at the same undermine our athletic programs. I didn't like Pederson, and was glad when he left, but the ridiculous grudge that some held over 15 years, including withholding their support because of him never helped matters. Now Barnes is going to be stained with this Scarlett letter that likely will cause some (maybe the same people) to do the same.
8) I can remember how when Jamie was hired, there were a lot of people critical of not just the hire, but the process also. (Sound familiar?). And to the very end, some of these same people were never in Jamie's corner, even when he would get to Elite 8's or Sweet 16's. Waiting for him to fail and pouncing on him with every loss. That even caused a divide on this board between Jamie haters and "JIGers" that battled at everything around this program. Now.....it feels like this is going to continue, only roles will be reversed.
9) Maybe "DEEP BREATHS" will be my answer to "DT's Dribbles".
10) Look, I am not trying to piss down your leg and tell you its raining. I was disappointed too in the hire. But 24 hours later, I also realize I can't do anything about it, I still want Pitt basketball to win, and we have yet to give the guy a chance. As the lady said in Hoosiers (with which this hire has more similarities than I care to reference)...."give coach a chance".

2) We can stomp our feet and cry and whine, act petulant, but again it is not changing things.
3) Negative vibes and tweets and constant complaining is resonating with recruits. Congrats.
4) A lot of times when Pitt would lose and people would bitch and moan, there was a certain group of posters who would admonish those, as not getting worked up over things they can't control. Well I would like to reciprocate that advice to those who would dispense that advice.
5) Stallings is not the sexy hire. At all. But he has been successful. As successful as Jamie? No. But Jamie's last 5 years have been Vanderbilt like.
6) Just again some food for thought......One of the worst Syracuse team's on the last 3 decades is going at least one round further (Final 4) than our best team of the last 30 years. So hey, maybe another route to try and get to the Final 4 is the way to go.
7) We Pitt fans are weak. We divide. We don't divide and conquer, we divide, hold grudges, leave and at the same undermine our athletic programs. I didn't like Pederson, and was glad when he left, but the ridiculous grudge that some held over 15 years, including withholding their support because of him never helped matters. Now Barnes is going to be stained with this Scarlett letter that likely will cause some (maybe the same people) to do the same.
8) I can remember how when Jamie was hired, there were a lot of people critical of not just the hire, but the process also. (Sound familiar?). And to the very end, some of these same people were never in Jamie's corner, even when he would get to Elite 8's or Sweet 16's. Waiting for him to fail and pouncing on him with every loss. That even caused a divide on this board between Jamie haters and "JIGers" that battled at everything around this program. Now.....it feels like this is going to continue, only roles will be reversed.
10) Look, I am not trying to piss down your leg and tell you its raining. I was disappointed too in the hire. But 24 hours later, I also realize I can't do anything about it, I still want Pitt basketball to win, and we have yet to give the guy a chance. As the lady said in Hoosiers (with which this hire has more similarities than I care to reference)...."give coach a chance".
You make some points. But, I will control what I can.

I'm out of here. Sound familiar?

Reactions: Ski11585

Try to color this any way you want.
PR wise this is a disaster - Pitt is flush with money from Dixon's buyout and this is the best we get???
Rather they would've tried Brandon knight for 3 years.
This guy is 55 - in a weaker conference - where is the up side?
At least Brandon knew the veteran team that was returning.

This hire is putting a lipstick on a pig - very disappointing

The real question is simply this: "why is it that we're constantly being asked to "take deep breaths" after yet another bizarre decision? And then to add insult to injury the fans are excoriated for either not being supportive or failing to donate enough while the guys running the show continue to cash in. Why can't we expect an AD who can actually get things right for once?

Cruzer

The real question is simply this: "why is it that we're constantly being asked to "take deep breaths" after yet another bizarre decision? And then to add insult to injury the fans are excoriated for either not being supportive or failing to donate enough while the guys running the show continue to cash in. Why can't we expect an AD who can actually get things right for once?

Cruzer

100% this. Recruits is basically telling us "you are going to get punched in the face and like it because you don't know any better."

C'mon Recruits, you know that any complaining here was dwarfed by the overwhelmingly negative reaction to this hire in the media.

Reactions: OriginalEther
I think we need to see what type of recruits Coach Stallings brings in before judging the hire. Apparently Stallings convinced Scott Barnes that he can recruit at Pitt. Stallings has coached long enough to know the Xs and Os - recruiting is the key.

If Stallings brings in a legit center next year, then that will be a big step in the right direction.

Go Pitt.

Good post Chancellor-who knows what this hire will be entail. We will get a better idea in the next few weeks with staff announcements and the April recruiting period which I hope allows to keep at least two of our three committs because they are need positions.This will tell us how zealous Stallings will be . He is not old but not young either so this could be his last chance at a high major job or in a few years will be on ESPN like all the other ex coaches.
But as more endorsements come in the hire seems more acceptable but we will see. We need to hold on to the majority of our current players as well . We have some talent but need more offensive minded players.
But if we are all Pitt fans support the hire and let the games play out.

Just because I think that hiring Stallings was a terrible decision doesnt mean I want the BBall team to fail. Quite the opposite, I hope that I am wrong. However, a decision to bring someone in to perform a job (coaches, players, ADs, etc.) should be evaluated at three distinct points.

1. The initial hire. What are the person's qualifications? What do they bring to the table? What are their negative attributes? What is their reasonable projected floor and ceiling?

2. During term of employment (generally annually). Re-evaluate considering past employment period. Where did their actual results fall within the initially projected floor/ceiling? What is their revised floor/ceiling? How replaceable is said person?

3. Post relationship. All results are actual, so no projections necessary. How were results as compared to initial desired result? How were results as compared to revised desired result? How replaceable was said person? How easily did the replacement achieve the same results (if at all)?

To me Barnes has failed #1, with the initial hire of Stallings. I think his floor and ceiling are both too low. However, hopefully Stallings changes my perception and I can give both Stallings and Barnes better grades at the stages noted in #2 and #3.

Based on what I see right now, I have the right to be upset until proven otherwise.

It seems like no one we wanted really wanted this job.

"My ideal choice: Jack Bauer. But he is unavailable, fictional, and overqualified."

Cruzer

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be supporting this hire with seasons tickets, adding 2 more.
Everyone will be doing their own thing but after a string of misteps beginning with Smiley, the football stadium, extending Smiley,JD gets 10 yrs, hiring Wanny, firing Wanny, hiring Hayward, firing Hayward, hiring Grahm, watching Graham make as-es out of PITT and the football program, hiring Chyrst, watching Chyrst leave in 2 years, and finally hiring Narduzzi who must be watching the firedrill real close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading the press accounts and other sports commentator comments PITT has succeeded in winning the Donkey award again. This comes after a great Narduzzi football hire, a respectable first season, that seemed to put PITT back on track and begin to build sports credibility.
I'll be waiting for results! Could be a while in my opinion!

3) C'mon Recruits, you know that any complaining here was dwarfed by the overwhelmingly negative reaction to this hire in the media.

I didn't get a negative vibe here with the local media, with a few exceptions. To the contrary, the local media has been surprisingly level-headed today when negativity would probably drive higher ratings. Nationally I couldn't care less.

This is all I've been trying to say

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT