ADVERTISEMENT

Akron game thread

Pitt 2-0 in the 5 minutes of game time I missed. 0-0 in the 40 minutes I watched.

BTW, FK, what's up with this Akron announcer? A 1 man crew? For Akron? For the NCAAT? Did they pull this guy out of the crowd?

Did anyone else start screaming at the picture when the clock didn’t start when time resumed with 29.03 left? Fortunately, the official clock kept moving and they finally changed the one on the screen to 26:47. I was afraid it was the official clock that wasn’t moving.

Pitt 2-0 in the 5 minutes of game time I missed. 0-0 in the 40 minutes I watched.

BTW, FK, what's up with this Akron announcer? A 1 man crew? For Akron? For the NCAAT? Did they pull this guy out of the crowd?
You know, it’s funny you asked as my wife and I were discussing this last night. The guy was terrible. His job is to call the game but he’s also responsible for selling the game too! I swear he was trying to put everyone to sleep. I imagine that game had some additional eyes on it from folks who don’t really know much about soccer. That’s what NCAA games do. And I could only think that all those people turned off the game saying that soccer sucks and is boring. I mean, I was even bored. Contrast that to the FSU match at 5pm and it was night and day. Those guys were good.

Another thing…over the past 12 years we’ve known and followed the careers of many girls and boys who went on to play collegiately, so we’ve really made the most of our ESPN+ subscription. We’ve heard a lot of announcers at larger schools than Akron and smaller schools than Akron, and I have to say that this guy was the worst I’ve ever heard. That being said, it’s a step up from past coverage. During covid they just ran a video stream with one camera and no announcer at all.

These days even D2 schools broadcast on ESPN+, but some schools with small budgets still don’t. Case in point, two of my kids have played away matches at Alabama St, and their matches are never broadcast there. It’s frustrating. It really is small time. It’s one reason why I couldn’t believe they handled our hoops team for periods of that game yesterday.

Last edited:
Another thing…over the past 12 years we’ve known and followed the careers of many girls and boys who went on to play collegiately, so we’ve really made the most of our ESPN+ subscription. We’ve heard a lot of announcers at larger schools than Akron and smaller schools than Akron, and I have to say that this guy was the worst I’ve ever heard. That being said, it’s a step up from past coverage. During covid they just ran a video stream with one camera and no announcer at all.

He once went over 1 minute without saying anything. I thought they lost the audio.

I was watching the game fro the road and I kept checking my volume and seeing if I muted by accident. I’m thinking he was just frozen from the cold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT