ADVERTISEMENT

Alan Saunders just dropped the mic

Boom!

I posted the same on the pay board. Here's an excerpt from that article that just absolutely nails it.

When the Pittsburgh media goes to Pitt’s facility during spring ball or training camp, the time when a lot of real evaluation is being done by the team’s coaching staff, we see stretching, field goal and/or punt teams, one period of an offensive walk-through, tackling drills, and individual position teaching drills. That is, if we’re lucky.

The entire viewing window is about 30 minutes. A 7-on-7 snap is rarity. I can count on two hands the number of 11-on-11 snaps I’ve seen in four seasons.

But of course, we have stories to file, space to fill and players that people are curious about, so we use the other tool we have at our disposal: we ask questions.

How does this player look? Who is winning this battle? What are realistic expectations for this unit? Then we go back to our computers, type them out and send them away. Are those statements that we receive factual? No one really has any way to know.

For example, it was said all training camp that Pitt wide receiver Dontavius Butler-Jenkins was poised for a breakout 2018 season. The esteemed Brian Batko of the Post-Gazette called Butler-Jenkins a potential surprise receiver.

He has one catch in four games.

Let is also be noted that anyone preaching caution this off-season and pre-season was widely branded as being a Nitter, or had their posts completely scrubbed away.

The hype never made any sense, based on last year's results and based on the roster.

Let is also be noted that anyone preaching caution this off-season and pre-season was widely branded as being a Nitter, or had their posts completely scrubbed away.

The hype never made any sense, based on last year's results and based on the roster.

There was Pickett for Heisman talk among the lunatic fringe of the fan base. The enthusiasm should have been tempered at the ACC media days.

There was Pickett for Heisman talk among the lunatic fringe of the fan base. The enthusiasm should have been tempered at the ACC media days.

There was no Picket for Heisman talk. Some of us think he looked pretty good when dropping back and throwing the ball. Then, we end up with the exact opposite of that, so I question the offensive game plans. He went from being accurate and hitting his targets to completely missing them. Strange.

Reactions: Outdoorsman814
Having gone to school with Alan I can guarantee that Narduzzi is the type of guy who he perceives picked on him in middle school.

With that in mind, he’s spot on.

There was no Picket for Heisman talk. Some of us think he looked pretty good when dropping back and throwing the ball. Then, we end up with the exact opposite of that, so I question the offensive game plans. He went from being accurate and hitting his targets to completely missing them. Strange.
Yeah there was.
Along with one of the funnest days of waning summer....the first to predict 10 wins!!!
Always a special day.

The attempted hype came from the HC and Admin 'get your tickets for the champ game' 'we want to play penn st into perpetuity' blah blah blah. I don't know many Pitt fans that bought into it and if they did they are new to Pitt or cfb. Stop the above along with the hof cigar smoker reunion dinners until you can beat north carolina ... in football.

In fairness, the Pickett for Heisman and "Kenny Keystone" stuff was started by a PSU troll. We were all excited to see a full season of Pickett, but I don't think any of us actually reached that level.

With that being, Saunders was spot on with his piece. 2-2 isn't that bad (granted, it is in context when you consider the blowout loss to Penn St and loss to UNC) but it's catastrophic when you consider the expectations they were putting on themselves. I think a piece of the blame also falls on us for buying into it. The last two games certainly brought some optimism, but should we have expected it from a team that finished 5-7 last year? How many times does that type of turnaround happen in college football, let alone here?

Reactions: Outdoorsman814
lucy-football.jpg

Wait. Weren't you the one to start a "Pickett is the best QB since..." thread after the Albany game?

I've never "liked" any post, and I'm not going to start now. But I like this post.

Reactions: foxchapelpanther
Yes, and I think he is still good, but something changed. He now all of the sudden has trouble hitting WRs? As I have said, the coaches Cavanaughed him. He is now afraid of making a critical mistake.
“Cavanaugh’d” him. That’s great. I think you are correct though, joking aside. He’s late throwing the ball, holds it a second or two too long and misses that window. I blame coaching on that.

“Cavanaugh’d” him. That’s great. I think you are correct though, joking aside. He’s late throwing the ball, holds it a second or two too long and misses that window. I blame coaching on that.

something is up. That 1st half of Albany I came away really impressed with his accuracy. All the throws were literally on the money, I think he was like 13-15 in passing completions. Now it could be the level of competition but I thought his accuracy (and zip on the ball) were strong points. The last few games we haven't seen that

Reactions: McKee Place
something is up. That 1st half of Albany I came away really impressed with his accuracy. All the throws were literally on the money, I think he was like 13-15 in passing completions. Now it could be the level of competition but I thought his accuracy (and zip on the ball) were strong points. The last few games we haven't seen that
I wonder if duzzi and Watson baby him too much. Always roll him out, never let him just drop back and throw from the pocket.

Probably pushing the game manage angle, talking about how it’s better to hold on to it then force a throw and risk an int.

He’s got a good arm, I’d like to see them take the leash off if him.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Yes, and I think he is still good, but something changed. He now all of the sudden has trouble hitting WRs? As I have said, the coaches Cavanaughed him. He is now afraid of making a critical mistake.
Pickett will be fine. He has all the tools. He's still a rookie and he will get better as he goes. His feel for the game and his decision making are his weaknesses right now and they will come with experience. We have much bigger problems with more difficult answers--a weak O line, weak receivers, no TEs a weak OC, and a D that can't get off the field. KP hasn't played well, but his team isn't helping.

Kelly Bryant can't throw the ball worth a $hit. Like Hurts, he plays on a totally loaded team and only had to manage games and not make mistakes, make a play with his feet now and then. He needs to go to a RPO team that suits his strengths. He would never consider coming to Pitt, I doubt Pitt would even pursue him, and he'd be a poor fit anyway.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Boom!

I posted the same on the pay board. Here's an excerpt from that article that just absolutely nails it.

When the Pittsburgh media goes to Pitt’s facility during spring ball or training camp, the time when a lot of real evaluation is being done by the team’s coaching staff, we see stretching, field goal and/or punt teams, one period of an offensive walk-through, tackling drills, and individual position teaching drills. That is, if we’re lucky.

The entire viewing window is about 30 minutes. A 7-on-7 snap is rarity. I can count on two hands the number of 11-on-11 snaps I’ve seen in four seasons.

But of course, we have stories to file, space to fill and players that people are curious about, so we use the other tool we have at our disposal: we ask questions.

How does this player look? Who is winning this battle? What are realistic expectations for this unit? Then we go back to our computers, type them out and send them away. Are those statements that we receive factual? No one really has any way to know.

For example, it was said all training camp that Pitt wide receiver Dontavius Butler-Jenkins was poised for a breakout 2018 season. The esteemed Brian Batko of the Post-Gazette called Butler-Jenkins a potential surprise receiver.

You should add a few things to your shopping list:
Boom!

He has one catch in four games.

He has one catch in four games.[/QUOTE]

That's the surprise??

I wonder if duzzi and Watson baby him too much. Always roll him out, never let him just drop back and throw from the pocket.

Probably pushing the game manage angle, talking about how it’s better to hold on to it then force a throw and risk an int.

He’s got a good arm, I’d like to see them take the leash off if him.
Our OC puts him in bad, predictable situations. When we throw, it's typically on an obvious throwing down. We telegraph a lot of what we run at the LOS. We don't use the TEs or Aston to give him some easy rhythm throws. It's always been said that a TE is a struggling QB's best friend. Apparently Watson didn't get that memo. We don't use the middle of the field seemingly at all. We might as well not have a TE on the field. Aston is underutilized. And we don't take deep shots. You need to take them and hit them once in a while to back the D off a bit. Offense 101.

Watson needs to start taking some risks with his play calling.

Why not run a 4 vertical play once in a while on a 1st down or a second and short to get a one on one matchup with a safety and put some pressure on the D? When's the last time we've done that?

Reactions: DiehardPanther
The never ending roll out passes is ridiculous. You basically take 60% of the field away. Occasionally I see but that’s pretty much all we do on pass plays.

Reactions: paulbl99
In fairness, the Pickett for Heisman and "Kenny Keystone" stuff was started by a PSU troll. We were all excited to see a full season of Pickett, but I don't think any of us actually reached that level.

With that being, Saunders was spot on with his piece. 2-2 isn't that bad (granted, it is in context when you consider the blowout loss to Penn St and loss to UNC) but it's catastrophic when you consider the expectations they were putting on themselves. I think a piece of the blame also falls on us for buying into it. The last two games certainly brought some optimism, but should we have expected it from a team that finished 5-7 last year? How many times does that type of turnaround happen in college football, let alone here?
For year four the expectations were reasonable.... the coaching staff has failed.

No one with the brain expected 10 + 2 but it isn't unreasonable for a 5 and 17 to go to seven and 5 or 8 and 4

The never ending roll out passes is ridiculous. You basically take 60% of the field away. Occasionally I see but that’s pretty much all we do on pass plays.
Even on 3 or 5 step drops we simply don't use the middle of the field. No crossing routes or skinny posts or seam routes to the TE and/or slot receiver No slants. It's as if the area of the field between the hash marks doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: PittPanthers90
How did Saunders drop the mike?

I have never heard a coaching staff say we are going to stink or say I don't think we we be very good

In addition, name 1 college team that lets media watch entire practices? It doesn't happen

Fans and media had plenty examples that showed that Pitt might not be very good. Last year, Pitt won 5 games. Last year, pitt's oline could not block anyone. Last year, Pitt's secondary was a sieve

Fans and media chose to believe the last 2 games against teams with poor qb play were the norm.

Vegas didn't buy it
College football media outside of Pittsburgh didn't buy it

The media in Pittsburgh chose to believe it. Now, they want to point the finger for being clueless

Reactions: cpc247 and FreshCut
Narduzzi, plays the media and nobody covering this team has the "balls" to ask the tough questions. We need all the media covereage we can get.

Narduzzi's cocky attitude, is not doing him any favors for a season that is going down the drain quickly. The entire media strategy on how he has handled the media is brutal. The guy talks about "taking the high road" and what does he do...takes the low road. After PSU game, he said somehting like "we'll see them again."??? What?

His sideline antics is doing nobody any favors and the officials are tired of his rants.
He came in with such hige expectations. Disappointing.

Reactions: paulbl99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT