ADVERTISEMENT

Another NFL fan death

So to be clear, you and Pitt79 are saying that the Steelers would not sell out of season tickets next year if they banned tailgating?

There are enough NFL fans in this country who would want to attend games without the need to tailgate. You may not think so but you wouldn't see half empty stadiums just because people couldn't tailgate. How do Pens or Lakers or Celtics or Cavs fans attend games without tailgating? People like sports. Trust me.
steelers are on a 10+ year wait list.. they could sell nothing but poison kool aid and they'd sell out.

Someone wise ( yet a staunch Democrat) once wrote, “I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints; the sinners are much more fun”. Part of the fun of attending is the general rowdiness of it.

I have rarely been in fights myself and I never advocate it, but it’s tremendous fun to see it happening between others. Especially the women doing it. Slapping and swearing and flab flying (they’re always beasts) and giant beers being thrown and spilled … hilarious. Never hope anyone dies from it (well, unless it’s a Nit; most deserve that). Predominantly so, the participants don’t die (sadly, Nits never seem to, but keep the faith).

Deaths occur doing everything. Tragic death near my neighborhood just a couple years back of kid who fell off a zip line. Seems so wholesome and healthy activity in theory, but something terrible went wrong, he fell from it and died. Others do so every year as well nationally. Not a ton, but there are always some, far more than stadium fights, Should it be banned? Actually, Go ahead with banning that one, it’s moronic activity.

So then you admit banning tailgating will not hurt Steeler season ticket sales. Thanks for the clarification.
For a while anyways, and I'd be willing to bet the people coming in will find ways to get drunk or high. and it's not a ''family" event when the cheapest seats are approaching $200.

And that's fine, if there are enough people that want to fight the traffic and the crowd and the long lines to go straight to their seat totally sober, more power to them. Maybe they'll even sell more beers at $15 a pop, to people that can afford it who want to get drunk.

But I won't be going without the tailgating, it kills the whole social aspect that makes going to the game special, the reason I loved going was I usually saw and hung out with at least a dozen people that I see a few times a year or even less, that's why going in person is fun to me, and the drinking :)

So then you admit banning tailgating will not hurt Steeler season ticket sales. Thanks for the clarification.
Let me ask you this, most people that go to these games seem to love the whole tailgating culture. You apparently do not. So why are you so adamant to interfere and ruin the fun for the majority of the attendees? You can show up 10 minutes before kickoff and go directly to your seat totally sober and leave everyone else alone. Live and let live.

Let me ask you this, most people that go to these games seem to love the whole tailgating culture. You apparently do not. So why are you so adamant to interfere and ruin the fun for the majority of the attendees? You can show up 10 minutes before kickoff and go directly to your seat totally sober and leave everyone else alone. Live and let live.

Because the games are becoming less enjoyable when everyone is plastered out of their minds.

Because the games are becoming less enjoyable when everyone is plastered out of their minds.
So, everyone who enjoys the tailgating and drinking should give it up, and defer to you, make it less enjoyable for us, so you can enjoy it more?

I don't know your opinion, but I think more people who attend games would agree with my opinion on this over yours, I believe most people love the tailgates and socializing, my sister-in-law doesn't drink much and doesn't care at all about watching football, she just puts her Pitt shirt on and loves coming for the tailgate.

So, everyone who enjoys the tailgating and drinking should give it up, and defer to you, make it less enjoyable for us, so you can enjoy it more?

I don't know your opinion, but I think more people who attend games would agree with my opinion on this over yours, I believe most people love the tailgates and socializing, my sister-in-law doesn't drink much and doesn't care at all about watching football, she just puts her Pitt shirt on and loves coming for the tailgate.
take away tailgating for steelers games and there will be riots in the streets. that goes for about 90% of other nfl cities..

it's engrained into the culture, it is as part of nfl sundays as the actual game.. now if you want to say that's the problem and have a conversation on our culture than so be it but you cant take away tailgating from NFL fans, it's just not an option..

take away tailgating for steelers games and there will be riots in the streets. that goes for about 90% of other nfl cities..

it's engrained into the culture, it is as part of nfl sundays as the actual game.. now if you want to say that's the problem and have a conversation on our culture than so be it but you cant take away tailgating from NFL fans, it's just not an option..
I even know people, who don't have tickets and live nearby and have for years often just come down to hang out at a tailgate party, then leave around noon and go home or to a bar nearby and watch on TV.

I even know people, who don't have tickets and live nearby and have for years often just come down to hang out at a tailgate party, then leave around noon and go home and watch on TV.
i used to do that when i lived in Mt washington in my early 20's. would go tailgate with my buddies and if i got a good deal from a scalper (which was rare) then i'd buy one and if not, go up to either redbeards or Kaibs and just drink at a bar...

best of both worlds. my neighbor is a life long season tix holder and has told me a hundred times if they ever take away tailgating, he'll get rid of his tix the next day. im sure many people feel the same, especially your Boomers, Gen X aged fans.

Reactions: Pitt79
i used to do that when i lived in Mt washington in my early 20's. would go tailgate with my buddies and if i got a good deal from a scalper (which was rare) then i'd buy one and if not, go up to either redbeards or Kaibs and just drink at a bar...

best of both worlds. my neighbor is a life long season tix holder and has told me a hundred times if they ever take away tailgating, he'll get rid of his tix the next day. im sure many people feel the same, especially your Boomers, Gen X aged fans.
The NFL might be in trouble when some of the Gen Y or Gen Z people get older, some of these people don't ever want to take off their pajamas and leave the house, not for work or shopping or anything :)

I even know people, who don't have tickets and live nearby and have for years often just come down to hang out at a tailgate party, then leave around noon and go home or to a bar nearby and watch on TV.
I was also going to write that earlier. For the longest time in, sigh, younger days, we had a huge tailgate at every Pitt game. Word spread about it with coworkers, neighbors, friends of friends, in laws etc and we ended up well over 75-100 people conglomerate among our squads of vehicles (up to 5 vehicles at one point). The VT game of 2003, still stands as the greats of Pitt games at Heinz Field, we had multiple turkey fryers going and served them. Had a large TV (console! This is circa 2000) going in the back of one of the pickups. Regular grills, griddle grills, Coleman stoves cooking chili. Synced music (before the days of Bluetooth speakers). Once the lot started requiring set spots, we’d coordinate arrival at the nasty NS Giant Eagle so we could enter together. Awesome parties. Game? Usually we made it in. Sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes we left at halftime. Pitt stinks most of the time, by design (the Pitt admin hates it and will never let it be great). So we knew we weren’t missing much if we didn’t go in or left early (though we didn’t miss many of the Fitz years or the Shady years).

The thing was, word has spread so much that a good 1/3 or more of the attendees to our tailgate were not Pitt fans at all, didn’t have tickets, would never think to GET tickets, would never bother going in. Some were, ugh, Nits (luckily kind of hot women; my buddy, ugh, married one). They came for the party.

But then folks got married, kids, stupid worthless Saturday soccer games, “fall ball” Little league, parents got old and needed care, people left the area for better jobs etc. plus the Rooneys and the city continued to connive to eliminate surface parking. The big tailgates became untenable most of time though we still try to hold a couple each season.

But we can be grateful for wonderful amenities that replaced it like Tequila Dickies and the bar where the strippers in Scottish kilts would pretend to be waitresses (I think they were practicing other professions as well, and the city shut it down?). Not awful, you can have fun in such places too, but the tailgating is so so so so so so so much better.

The NFL might be in trouble when some of the Gen Y or Gen Z people get older, some of these people don't ever want to take off their pajamas and leave the house, not for work or shopping or anything :)
Then you got the snowflakes who are deathly afraid to go near the city because someone might try to bum bus fare from them or they might step in a puddle of urine.

• Haha
Had a large TV (console! This is circa 2000) going in the back of one of the pickups.
And there's some tailgate parties where they bring the TV in the back of a van or something and half the people don't have tickets and just sit outside and watch the game there.

I always thought tailgating at football games was one of the great uniquely American cultural events, it's a shame that some people want to stop it.

And there's some tailgate parties where they bring the TV in the back of a van or something and half the people don't have tickets and just sit outside and watch the game there.

I always thought tailgating at football games was one of the great uniquely American cultural events, it's a shame that some people want to stop it.
My buddy (since deceased, really sad because he was a great guy and fan) was a mad scientist and had wires running to the trucks battery with relays and splices over the top of the truck to power the TV. It was his grandmothers old console set, a Quasar or Sylvania or one of those old brands. And he had a TV antenna that you might find on the roof of a house in the 70s sticking up from the bed behind the set.

Our games weren’t often on network TV and you couldn’t stream ESPN (or anything!) then, so watching our game from the truck wasn’t too often an option. But certainly we could have the games that were on the networks (2, 4, 11). But if those games were dogs, he even had wired up a VCR to it and we had VHS tapes of quite a few older Pitt games that somebody or other had taped through the years.

Of course that can all be easily done today (if anyone would want to even bother) with a smart TV with flat screens, power jacks in the backs of most modern trucks, 5g hot spot Wi-Fi to stream etc … but my buddy’s Frankenstein setup amazed a lot of folks back then…

One thing I realized (for NFL games) is fans use their “disposable” income to go to the games in place of a real vacation. They would prefer to get sloppy in a parking lot and go to a NFL game instead of going to the shore or over seas. It’s their choice how to spend their money, but I find it sad.

The same can be said for many teams. The Pens put out a video of Sidney Crosby delivering season tickets this week to a STH who appeared to live in a house that I'd probably value around 50K if it was in a lower-end school district and about 100K if if was in a good school district. The worst seats in the house are $2000 per season. If costs you 4% of your homes value to attend Penguins games for just 1 season, that's not being financially smart. Though maybe the guy is rich and just never wanted a new house. I know a guy who probably makes $100K combined (with wife) annual income and spends $10K/year on Pens season tickets.

The same can be said for many teams. The Pens put out a video of Sidney Crosby delivering season tickets this week to a STH who appeared to live in a house that I'd probably value around 50K if it was in a lower-end school district and about 100K if if was in a good school district. The worst seats in the house are $2000 per season. If costs you 4% of your homes value to attend Penguins games for just 1 season, that's not being financially smart. Though maybe the guy is rich and just never wanted a new house. I know a guy who probably makes $100K combined (with wife) annual income and spends $10K/year on Pens season tickets.
Poor people do a lot of dumb things....probably why they are poor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT