ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone hear the hoopie fans on Zeise's show today?

Butler Pitt Fan

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2014
A couple of hoopies called Zeise's program pon the fan this afternoon, complaining that the Pittsburgh media would rather talk about Pitt than hoopie U. Zeise basically laughed him and some other lady off the air, saying wvu is at best 4th on the pecking order in Pittsburgh and Western PA. (I'd put them 5th behind Pitt, UPS, Notre Dame, then Ohio St).

I mean, they are having a good season and Grier is a good qb, but they're basically irrelevant in Pittsburgh and the surrounding region with local interest.

H2P!!!

There is a small handful of West Virginia fans in Pittsburgh, but when it comes down to it, Riverhounds soccer is more relevant for the local radio scene than the Big 12 Mountaineers. Maybe if they were in the ACC and the Backyard Brawl was coming up in a couple of weeks but it's not.

WVU has a lot more fans locally than Ohio State, and probably Notre Dame. They are covered as a 3rd “local” team, whereas those other two are not.

That said....without playing Us every year, that coverage has dwindled. They are probably complaining because that means they have NO major media market giving them consistent coverage.

Ill say that I've heard more on major networks contemplating if UCF deserves higher ranking than nearly anything about WVU. I don't think that is just; but it's true.

A couple of hoopies called Zeise's program pon the fan this afternoon, complaining that the Pittsburgh media would rather talk about Pitt than hoopie U. Zeise basically laughed him and some other lady off the air, saying wvu is at best 4th on the pecking order in Pittsburgh and Western PA. (I'd put them 5th behind Pitt, UPS, Notre Dame, then Ohio St).

I mean, they are having a good season and Grier is a good qb, but they're basically irrelevant in Pittsburgh and the surrounding region with local interest.

H2P!!!

ND definitely ahead of WVU but Ohio State has never had any type of fanbase here surprisingly.

Reactions: quip
Zeise told Arnold the Hoopie a thing or two.
That was really funny.
Zeise popped his top.
Makes for good sports talk radio.

"save a horse ride a cowboy"

Signed: Mrs Buffett
GO CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

Last edited:
See up my way here and Butler and close to Beaver County we have way more tOSU fans than wvu. May be different down towards Pittsburgh.
If Ohio State were in Youngstown, they'd be a big deal here. No one in Pittsburgh cares about Columbus, so OSU doesn't matter here. WVU has a fair amount of fans down in Greene, Fayette, and southern Washington counties due to those areas being close to Morgantown, which is why they've always gotten some limited coverage from the Pittsburgh media. Coverage reflects interest, which is why Nitter football gets covered locally, and Nitter hoops doesn't. The Nitter hoop team looks to be pretty decent this year. I'll be very interested to see what the crowd looks like when they play Duquesne at PPG next month, especially seeing that Duquesne looks to be finally climbing out of the grave they've been in since Red Manning retired.

Correct. Do West Virginia stations cover Pitt? Of course not.
What stations are you talking about?Morgantown doesn't have their own TV station.They get their local news and sports from Pittsburgh's and Clarksburg stations.So I can see why they want to see Pittsburgh cover Wvu because that's what they watch.

H2P!!!
Pittsburgh radio barely talks Pitt-why would they talk about the hoopies?

What stations are you talking about?Morgantown doesn't have their own TV station.They get their local news and sports from Pittsburgh's and Clarksburg stations.So I can see why they want to see Pittsburgh cover Wvu because that's what they watch.

Actually I’m pretty clueless on the matter, just seemed to be a natural response to people questioning why Pgh sports should be covering the Mountaineers.

Pittsburgh news should be covering Pitt sports exclusively on an individual basis, while also following what’s happening nationally as a whole as well. They should not be focusing on PSU or WVU any more than USC or Florida St.

So I can see why they want to see Pittsburgh cover Wvu because that's what they watch.

That's why THEY want the Pittsburgh stations to cover West Virginia. That isn't a reason for the stations to actually cover them. The stations cover what will bring them viewers that drive advertising, and you may have noticed that while plenty of Pittsburgh area businesses advertise on Pittsburgh television and radio stations, pretty much no Morgantown area businesses do. Because, relatively speaking, few West Virginians watch or listen to the Pittsburgh stations.

H2P!!!
They need to listen to whatever radio station comes out of Uniontown or Connelsville. Fayettnam is definite Hoopie territory.

I think I am more of an expert to discuss this than anyone. Look, I used to live there, knew all of the WVU players. Now that I live back in Pittsburgh, and WVU is in the Big 12, I hate to say this, they have all the relevancy to me as........Oklahoma State. And if they have that little relevancy for me? Then how relevant do you think they have to the casual fan.

I was talking to an former colleague of mine this past week, who still lives in WV and works for my former company. Huge college football fan and Mountaineer season ticket holder, he was really surprised when he asked me about WVU and I replied "I don't follow at all anymore" and the only player I really know is Grier the QB. Think about it, if WVU is playing say TCU at the same time as a Penn State, ND or a big ACC game, who is paying attention up here, let alone a Pitt game.

As for "talk", WV has the Tony Caridi show every night. All they talk about is WVU sports. As someone in this thread said, the local stations here struggle to talk about Pitt, barely even discuss PSU, so why in hell would they talk about WVU? WVU, especially in the Big 12 is so far down the totem pole of local sports interest, like I said, they might as well be Oklahoma State. This is not saying to troll WVU fans, this is from a former Morgantown resident. If I don't care, then 99% of the people who aren't WVU alums don't care.

Does West Virginia actually have radio or TV?
old-fashioned-tv.jpg

H2P!!!
uh, because the University of Pittsburgh, is, wait for it, in the city of Pittsburgh.
reminds of the time a gal asked Ben Shapiro why only boys should be allowed in the "boy scouts" and he snarkily replied because "its in the name 'Boy' Scouts "'.

Reactions: vietvet1

H2P!!!
As the Duzz would say..... No doubt about it.

State College U is bigly more important to this region than WVU; ND as well but not tO$U..

having said that they are playing outstanding FB and pulling for them to make the playoffs.

Maybe some morning on the FANwe will hear a caller say....Hi this is Dana from Morgantown.

they do, out of Bugtussle I believe, however you have to climb a telephone poll to get reception...

H2P!!!

Yeah, said that when they went with the Big 12.
They had to, it was their only lifeline.
But, unless there is a ongoing series between the are Pitt, they are going to continue to fall off the Pittsburgh media radar.

Johnstown has a freaking local station, you'd think Morgantown would be able to support one.

But I think the Pittsburgh region effectively stops at i70. Forget West Virginia, people don't generally care about anything in Greene and Fayette counties.

While there are several reasons why I'm glad that WVU isn't in the ACC, this discussion addresses the main one.

When we know that WVU has limited interest in Western PA, why should we give them an inroad into an area that should be (#1) Pitt, and (#2, with reluctance) UPS?

Keeping the Hoopies out of the media makes them "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" for most area sports fans. Let's keep it that way.

Top myths perpetuated by The Dude that most WVU fans bought into.

1. Heinz is like another home field to WVU.
2. The ACC will get torn to pieces by the Big 12. Soon. Any day now. Probably.
3. WVU's monstrous Tier 3 revenues from TV and Radio stations that don't exist.
4. WVU will beat Oklahoma every season.

I don't think Pizzaboy is in that camp but you'll probably be hearing most of this garbage when they come back around in a couple of years.

Top myths perpetuated by The Dude that most WVU fans bought into.

1. Heinz is like another home field to WVU.
2. The ACC will get torn to pieces by the Big 12. Soon. Any day now. Probably.
3. WVU's monstrous Tier 3 revenues from TV and Radio stations that don't exist.
4. WVU will beat Oklahoma every season.

I don't think Pizzaboy is in that camp but you'll probably be hearing most of this garbage when they come back around in a couple of years.

Why is he here? Is he like the Nitters who come here, to a Pitt board, to tell us that we don't matter to them?

Seriously, why is he here to tell us about the Morganhole Community College Hoopies?

It's guys like him who turn our indifference towards them into hate.

Go Home Mountaineer.

ATT Sports Pittsburgh, or whatever it's called show them some love.
They broadcast the Dana Holgerson show, I think, cover his pressers, and pick up their pre season OOC games locally.
Also has a good bit of Eer hoops games on.

That station is received all over WV, mostly for Pirates games. There are a lot of WV folks who get that channel and they do get a good bit of exposure from that venue at least.

Radio? Agree with all the sentiments expressed above. Sports radio in Pittsburgh is 99% Stillers, and 1% all the rest.

Reactions: PittSquared
Pgh TV news always covers WVU.
But WVU has its own radio stations. No need for the official Panther radio station to talk 'eers.

Ill say that I've heard more on major networks contemplating if UCF deserves higher ranking than nearly anything about WVU. I don't think that is just; but it's true.
That's because there are 20 plus million people in Florida and less than 2 million in WV. In 5 years Florida will have 30 million and wv will have fewer than today.
This is exactly why the ACC should ignore wVu and lure UCF into the conference. WVU is a good team with no one to pay the bills.
Forget about them.

That's because there are 20 plus million people in Florida and less than 2 million in WV. In 5 years Florida will have 30 million and wv will have fewer than today.
This is exactly why the ACC should ignore wVu and lure UCF into the conference. WVU is a good team with no one to pay the bills.
Forget about them.

UCF's best hope to move up is to stay relevant and hope the B12 expands. It has absolutely no shot of getting into the ACC with Miami and FSU in the conference. Zero.

It is amazing, with how good of a season WVU is having, how little attention they are receiving in Western PA. But the other market they claim to have, the DMV, they receive absolutely zero coverage in any media outlets.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT