ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone hear the hoopie fans on Zeise's show today?

That idiot has never posted on WVU's board. He's not a WVU fan. He's all yours!

SORRY Burger but I'm allWvu.That's the 17th time you've said I'm not a WVU fan on 7 different boards.I guess Huggs and Holgersen are stuck with me for life.I'm sorry I don't see everything through Blue and gold glasses like somevWvu fans.Come in and chat and buy me a beer at the next Wvu bb game,I'm in 127!

Now this is funny!Did you think of this all by yourself or did you use google to find this info?I really don't think someone from Somerset should be making fun of others.
Ok PB. Someone asked if they have TV’s in the mountain state. I was simply offering proof.

Reactions: vietvet1
UCF's best hope to move up is to stay relevant and hope the B12 expands. It has absolutely no shot of getting into the ACC with Miami and FSU in the conference. Zero.

It is amazing, with how good of a season WVU is having, how little attention they are receiving in Western PA. But the other market they claim to have, the DMV, they receive absolutely zero coverage in any media outlets.
Nobody outside of coral gables gives a rats ass about Miami. Letting the big 12 cut into your TV market is grounds for dismissal. UCF is the largrsl school in a growing state. Weren't you the guy who turned down The Beatles?

Somerset just pulling your chain.How redneck am I?IM sitting in a treestand typing try this and I have 3 deer 50 yds from me.

There is absolutely NO reason for a Pittsburgh media to be covering an out-of-town school that is also out-of-state. In the pecking order in Pittsburgh, it's:
1) Pitt
2) Duquesne
3) RMU
4) PissU
5) If time permits, maybe wvu, ND or O$U.

But why should a Big 12 team be covered by the Pittsburgh media, which is ACC country. Isn't wvu in some cornfield league out in the southwest?

Reactions: PittAU
Why does it bother you?

It doesn't bother me too much. Like I said to a Nitter here once before it just doesn't take much effort to hate Nitters. It doesn't take much effort to type a few lines. I do think my question of why is he here? is a valid one.

Why do Nitters, and Hoopies, come here to tell us all how wonderful they are? He made a snide comment, and I responded. It's not difficult to understand.

We are not in their conferences. We don't really play them in much, so why are they here?

ATT Sports Pittsburgh, or whatever it's called show them some love.
They broadcast the Dana Holgerson show, I think, cover his pressers, and pick up their pre season OOC games locally.
Also has a good bit of Eer hoops games on.

That station is received all over WV, mostly for Pirates games. There are a lot of WV folks who get that channel and they do get a good bit of exposure from that venue at least.

Radio? Agree with all the sentiments expressed above. Sports radio in Pittsburgh is 99% Stillers, and 1% all the rest.

Ummmm...showing your age and background, don't undersell the Pens.

Nobody outside of coral gables gives a rats ass about Miami. Letting the big 12 cut into your TV market is grounds for dismissal. UCF is the largrsl school in a growing state. Weren't you the guy who turned down The Beatles?

Changes nothing, even if that were true. UCF is still far below UF, FSU, and Miami in the state pecking order, even if Miami has substantially less following that the other two state schools, and Miami has a substantially bigger national brand.

UCF, or for that matter USF, have absolutely zero chance of getting in the ACC as long as ACC membership is what it is currently. It doesn't have a great shot at the B12 either, unless Texas decides it wants to give up money...lol.

There is absolutely NO reason for a Pittsburgh media to be covering an out-of-town school that is also out-of-state. In the pecking order in Pittsburgh, it's:
1) Pitt
2) Duquesne
3) RMU
4) PissU
5) If time permits, maybe wvu, ND or O$U.

But why should a Big 12 team be covered by the Pittsburgh media, which is ACC country. Isn't wvu in some cornfield league out in the southwest?

No. You are wrong.

It is:
1) Pitt
2) PSU
3) ND
4) Everyone else.

That's what it is. On no plane of any reality is Duquesne or RMU covered more or more popular than PSU or ND. Or even WVU or tOSU.

Ummmm...showing your age and background, don't undersell the Pens.
Yeah right, like hillbillies understand hockey! LOL
Background? Attended my first Pens game in 1971. Syl Apps, Binkley and Rutherford in goal, Jean Pronovost, Red Kelly behind the bench.

We took the bus down 5th Ave, walk up tickets right on the ice. Those were the days.
Team mostly sucked, but it was big time hockey and cheap entertainment.

Changes nothing, even if that were true. UCF is still far below UF, FSU, and Miami in the state pecking order, even if Miami has substantially less following that the other two state schools, and Miami has a substantially bigger national brand.

UCF, or for that matter USF, have absolutely zero chance of getting in the ACC as long as ACC membership is what it is currently. It doesn't have a great shot at the B12 either, unless Texas decides it wants to give up money...lol.
It's not 1960. Heck, it's not 20013 either.

Background? Attended my first Pens game in 1971. Syl Apps, Binkley and Rutherford in goal, Jean Pronovost, Red Kelly behind the bench.

We took the bus down 5th Ave, walk up tickets right on the ice. Those were the days.

In Morgantown, they are popular. Of course, so many PA kids go there.

Yeah, I think maybe because of whatever the hell it is called now? ATT Sports Net? And their penchant to field dead air time with WVU programming, they actually think that people here are interested and WVU fans. No, it is just cheap filler for ATT Sports

Reactions: FreeportPanther
It's not 1960. Heck, it's not 20013 either.

It really doesn't matter when you think it is. What matters is what FSU and Miami think. And it won't be 2017 forever. UCF isn't happening.

Last edited:
ATT Sports Pittsburgh, or whatever it's called show them some love.
They broadcast the Dana Holgerson show, I think, cover his pressers, and pick up their pre season OOC games locally.
Also has a good bit of Eer hoops games on.

They get whatever shows West Virginia buys airtime from them to show. Nothing more, nothing less.

Somerset just pulling your chain.How redneck am I?IM sitting in a treestand typing try this and I have 3 deer 50 yds from me.
Well then you’d fit right in here as well. My son lives in the woods loves to hunt, fish and if he could would do it for living.

Actually you see lots of Pens gear down here in Charleston. Very popular. We have a nice ice rink, we have several hockey leagues going, and the Pens have quite a following. I see as many Pens games on TV as you get back in western PA.

Steelers gear, Pens gear, Pirates gear (but the Reds also have a big following) all over the place. Pitt gear? Just what I wear. I know a couple of attorneys with Pitt law school degrees, but no one with an undergraduate degree.

If you listen to shows dedicated to just college football, such as those on Sirius XM, or located in the Southeast, the Hoopies are getting their fair share of coverage. As well, they should. They are still in the playoff hunt, still competing for a Big 12 Championship, and probably own the most memorable moment in this year's college football season.

Fans of teams like WVU, where they are the main thing statewide, tend to think they are more important to the sports world than they really are. Go easy on 'em.

If you listen to shows dedicated to just college football, such as those on Sirius XM, or located in the Southeast, the Hoopies are getting their fair share of coverage. As well, they should. They are still in the playoff hunt, still competing for a Big 12 Championship, and probably own the most memorable moment in this year's college football season.

Fans of teams like WVU, where they are the main thing statewide, tend to think they are more important to the sports world than they really are. Go easy on 'em.
Paco said it best about Wvu when he said there are only 42,347 tv sets in Wva so noone wants us.But 39,211 of them are tuned into Wvu games so we think we're important.What I've noticed is that Universitys in Metro Areas think they have more fans than they actually have.bwdik

WVU has a lot more fans locally than Ohio State, and probably Notre Dame. They are covered as a 3rd “local” team, whereas those other two are not.

That said....without playing Us every year, that coverage has dwindled. They are probably complaining because that means they have NO major media market giving them consistent coverage.
True, except they have root sports Pittsburgh which televises their exhibition hoops game against psu, their non-conference football games against FCS teams every September, and advertises mountaineer athletics all the time.

Certainly they were covered much, much more by the local media when they were in the big east but I don’t really see a reason for their complaints. They have it pretty good in the Pittsburgh media market IMO.

True, except they have root sports Pittsburgh which televises their exhibition hoops game against psu, their non-conference football games against FCS teams every September, and advertises mountaineer athletics all the time.

Certainly they were covered much, much more by the local media when they were in the big east but I don’t really see a reason for their complaints. They have it pretty good in the Pittsburgh media market IMO.
Wvu buys that air time.
They aren’t being covered.

As opposed to loser who endlessly post nonsense on message boards says a jack ass with 57K posts. No you are not a loser.

This might be the dumbest thread I have ever read

1) It is stupid for WVU fans to expect WVU to be significantly covered in Pittsburgh sports radio (I suspect it is all Steelers, Pens and little college football period).

2) Pitt fans who think WVU is somehow dying in the Big 12 are also stupid -- our revenues are at record levels, we DO indeed have a great Tier 3 revenue package, we have great attendance/ticket sales, and recruiting is up (and we have made some great recruiting inroads in W. Pa. while Narduzzi has been alienating certain coaching staffs).

3) The future of college football expansion is NOT going to be about market size. Nobody watches Maryland football in DC, nobody watches Rutgers football in NYC. Frankly very few people watch Pitt football in Pittsburgh. As we move toward a pay per view environment in all of TV -- cord cutting etc. -- it will be about which teams actually get viewers not about which Market can we use to sell a bundled network package. The bundles are dying off. In that future market WVU will be just fine because if you look up the old Big East Thursday night package our games were consistently some of the most watched of all the the ESPN Thursday nighters, our own in house Pay Per View numbers were very high when we offered that program (prior to the days when EVERYTHING is now on TV), and in the Big12 our games also draw some of the highest viewership. We have huge swaths of alums in DC, Baltimore, NYC etc. -- so you can't just say "well WV has only x number of viewers in state".

This might be the dumbest thread I have ever read

1) It is stupid for WVU fans to expect WVU to be significantly covered in Pittsburgh sports radio (I suspect it is all Steelers, Pens and little college football period).

2) Pitt fans who think WVU is somehow dying in the Big 12 are also stupid -- our revenues are at record levels, we DO indeed have a great Tier 3 revenue package, we have great attendance/ticket sales, and recruiting is up (and we have made some great recruiting inroads in W. Pa. while Narduzzi has been alienating certain coaching staffs).

3) The future of college football expansion is NOT going to be about market size. Nobody watches Maryland football in DC, nobody watches Rutgers football in NYC. Frankly very few people watch Pitt football in Pittsburgh. As we move toward a pay per view environment in all of TV -- cord cutting etc. -- it will be about which teams actually get viewers not about which Market can we use to sell a bundled network package. The bundles are dying off. In that future market WVU will be just fine because if you look up the old Big East Thursday night package our games were consistently some of the most watched of all the the ESPN Thursday nighters, our own in house Pay Per View numbers were very high when we offered that program (prior to the days when EVERYTHING is now on TV), and in the Big12 our games also draw some of the highest viewership. We have huge swaths of alums in DC, Baltimore, NYC etc. -- so you can't just say "well WV has only x number of viewers in state".

#2, WVU is certainly not dying in the B12, but that has more to do with the quality of your coaching staffs than the conference carrying your athletic department. But every P5 school's revenues are at record levels. WVU does not have significant Tier 3 revenue packages over anyone else. The "Dude" definition of "Tier 3" that many WVU fans seem to buy into is a complete misunderstanding and bastardization of what "Tier 3" is, because it is a lot more than left over junk broadcast content and all schools have that other stuff (like corporate sponsorships) to peddle. If you think you have significant (meaning impactful on your bottom line) "Tier 3" revenue over similar schools in the ACC, B10, or SEC, you don't know what you are talking about.

And all major eastern schools have big alumni groups in NYC and the DMV. Pitt actually has about 100K more living alumni than WVU, and there are a heck of a lot more non-alumni Pittsburgh sports fans across the country.

#3 is speculation on future content delivery, assumes internet streaming options will not restructure itself in new bundling packages (like an ESPN Sports streaming package), that Disney and others are not in tune with the future of its businesses, and also assumes there won't be further, unknown disruption by yet delivered technologies. You could be right, and you could be wrong. I would assume Disney and ESPN know what they are doing more so than internet message board warriors. And frankly, you have no idea how many people watch Pitt in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

What isn't speculation is that the B12 is completely beholden to the whims of Austin. That is the biggest threat to WVU: UT and OU deciding to leave for any number of reasons. OU has already tried it and was shot down by the Pac, and UT has listen intently to pitches from multiple conferences in the last decade. I don't think 2025 is an issue for the B12, but I'd keep my eye on how long a GOR is extended at that point. I think a key will be what happens to the Longhorn Network by 2031 when that contract is up. Does it just end? Does UT leave for a new conference like the B10, Pac, or ACC? Does the LHN get turned into a B12 Network? Or, by your speculation, will it even matter? Personally, I believe UT likes having their own fiefdom too much for there to be significant change. I'd bet on the status quo. But no one would swap conference arrangements with WVU at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
#2, WVU is certainly not dying in the B12, but that has more to do with the quality of your coaching staffs than the conference carrying your athletic department. But every P5 school's revenues are at record levels. WVU does not have significant Tier 3 revenue packages over anyone else. The "Dude" definition of "Tier 3" that many WVU fans seem to buy into is a complete misunderstanding and bastardization of what "Tier 3" is, because it is a lot more than left over junk broadcast content and all schools have that other stuff (like corporate sponsorships) to peddle. If you think you have significant (meaning impactful on your bottom line) "Tier 3" revenue over similar schools in the ACC, B10, or SEC, you don't know what you are talking about.

And all major eastern schools have big alumni groups in NYC and the DMV. Pitt actually has about 100K more living alumni than WVU, and there are a heck of a lot more non-alumni Pittsburgh sports fans across the country.

#3 is speculation on future content delivery, assumes internet streaming options will not restructure itself in new bundling packages (like an ESPN Sports streaming package), that Disney and others are not in tune with the future of its businesses, and also assumes there won't be further, unknown disruption by yet delivered technologies. You could be right, and you could be wrong. I would assume Disney and ESPN know what they are doing more so than internet message board warriors. And frankly, you have no idea how many people watch Pitt in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

What isn't speculation is that the B12 is completely beholden to the whims of Austin. That is the biggest threat to WVU: UT and OU deciding to leave for any number of reasons. OU has already tried it and was shot down by the Pac, and UT has listen intently to pitches from multiple conferences in the last decade. I don't think 2025 is an issue for the B12, but I'd keep my eye on how long a GOR is extended at that point. I think a key will be what happens to the Longhorn Network by 2031 when that contract is up. Does it just end? Does UT leave for a new conference like the B10, Pac, or ACC? Does the LHN get turned into a B12 Network? Or, by your speculation, will it even matter? Personally, I believe UT likes having their own fiefdom too much for there to be significant change. I'd bet on the status quo. But no one would swap conference arrangements with WVU at this point.

So I have heard many a national pundit (listen to SiriusXM ESPNU 84) -- Greg McElroy, Holly Rowe, Rece Davis, Mark Packer etc. now saying the Big12 is doing things "the right way" particularly in comparison to the other leagues. That a 10 team league is the perfect size -- that it eliminates unbalanced scheduling (the nightmare for the ACC is Pitt upsetting Clemson in the ACC title game), that the revenues are outstanding etc (similar pot of money shared by fewer teams).

Just this AM the discussion of an expanded CFP -- to 8 teams -- was the topic for discussion. Almost every person said if that happens you need to eliminate (in some form) Divisional play and Conference Championship games (and/or by no means have automatic qualifiers).

I'd argue with the changing media environment (which you and I can disagree on) and if playoff numbers are expanded you are more likely to see more REGIONAL alignments, smaller leagues -- lacking Divisional play - without the Championship game model going forward. Recognize that Championship game is a lot of money for the leagues (well originally it was a serious money loser for the ACC when they had those horribly attended games in Florida) but the if they have teams lose out on a playoff appearance because of those Championship games then its a bigger money loss over time than the Championship game gives them.

BTW -- every team is beholden to a "big dog" in their league... whether it was Miami in the old Big East, Texas in the Big 12.... ACC has 2 (Clemson and FSU). You can be certain as we sit here that neither Clemson or FSU would sit by and allow the Triangle leadership of the ACC to do something the negatively impacted their revenue model in order to somehow "socially" benefit the weaker darlings in the ACC (whether that be Wake, Pitt, BC etc).

Nothing in NCAA Football is like the NFL model (the great socialist league) whereby the Steelers can excel in a small market or Green Bay isn't choked out of existence because of equal revenue sharing.... every Conference in college football is going to protect the big dogs and every league has a big dog or two.....

So I have heard many a national pundit (listen to SiriusXM ESPNU 84) -- Greg McElroy, Holly Rowe, Rece Davis, Mark Packer etc. now saying the Big12 is doing things "the right way" particularly in comparison to the other leagues. That a 10 team league is the perfect size -- that it eliminates unbalanced scheduling (the nightmare for the ACC is Pitt upsetting Clemson in the ACC title game), that the revenues are outstanding etc (similar pot of money shared by fewer teams).

Just this AM the discussion of an expanded CFP -- to 8 teams -- was the topic for discussion. Almost every person said if that happens you need to eliminate (in some form) Divisional play and Conference Championship games (and/or by no means have automatic qualifiers).

I'd argue with the changing media environment (which you and I can disagree on) and if playoff numbers are expanded you are more likely to see more REGIONAL alignments, smaller leagues -- lacking Divisional play - without the Championship game model going forward. Recognize that Championship game is a lot of money for the leagues (well originally it was a serious money loser for the ACC when they had those horribly attended games in Florida) but the if they have teams lose out on a playoff appearance because of those Championship games then its a bigger money loss over time than the Championship game gives them.

BTW -- every team is beholden to a "big dog" in their league... whether it was Miami in the old Big East, Texas in the Big 12.... ACC has 2 (Clemson and FSU). You can be certain as we sit here that neither Clemson or FSU would sit by and allow the Triangle leadership of the ACC to do something the negatively impacted their revenue model in order to somehow "socially" benefit the weaker darlings in the ACC (whether that be Wake, Pitt, BC etc).

Nothing in NCAA Football is like the NFL model (the great socialist league) whereby the Steelers can excel in a small market or Green Bay isn't choked out of existence because of equal revenue sharing.... every Conference in college football is going to protect the big dogs and every league has a big dog or two.....

Pundits aren't cutting checks to the conferences. They do what they do, and while I may not even disagree with what they say, what they say is entirely meaningless.

All the conferences are going to get their share of slots in the CFP over time. Things are cyclical. Upsets in championship games aren't going to wreck any conference, no matter what type of frenzy fans and talking heads would get into following such an upset. Divisions may go away, but the championship games make money for everyone and are here to stay.

If you think the power UT has in the B12 is analogous to what Miami had in the Big East or what Clemson & FSU have in the ACC, I don't know what to tell you.

Red Kelley! There’s a name that brought a s**t eating grin across my face. Nice one Freeport.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT