ADVERTISEMENT

Are we playing for draft picks?

chirurgo

Redshirt
Feb 1, 2004
Did recruiting rules change with NIL such that recruiting is now a draft? Are they going to win another game? At this point, we are looking at the worst season since Johnny Majors(Part 2) Back to the Future.

How does a coach recruit when your program has taken such a hard nosedive? I was willing to chalk it up to a rebuild year despite obvious lack of a future QB. This is disturbing. Just when we thought the program turned the corner, it is in free fall off a cliff. I don’t know that a coach who has been in this position after as many years as PN has ever recruited his way out of it. And how many postgame pressers are we going to hear the classic self-deprecating lines. It’s too much. I think he should consider stepping down. HL should negotiate a severance package and say thank you for stabilizing the program from where it was but it’s time to find somebody who knows how to coach in this era of football.

He came in when the program was .500.

He’s going to finish .167 this season … after nine seasons at the helm.

In those nine years he had exactly one relevant season.

And beyond that season, there were only two other seasons that anyone would consider better than average.

You can call that “stability” but what it REALLY is, is a university that just doesn’t give a sh1t about the football program and happily sticks with the easiest path (aka to do nothing and cash the conference checks).

I am not going to take as hard a stance. Let’s not forget the debacles of coaching hires since Dave Wannstedt. The fact that he won an ACC Championship is his legacy. I think the program could have won more andprobably could have rebuilt it faster. But it’s time to step aside before they become irrelevant again. The money being spent on him now could be spent on getting a younger coach who can recruit. In this day and age, it is nearly impossible to recover from a season like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT