ADVERTISEMENT

Are we recruiting well enough?

TN has had a bunch of Top 10 classes over the past 10 years.

Utah won 9, 10, and 9 games the last 3 seasons.

I looked up Tennessee's last 10 recruiting classes.

2008 - #35
2009 - #10
2010 - #9
2011 - #13
2012 - #17
2013 - #21
2014 - #5
2015 - #5
2016 - #15
2017 - #15

That's not exactly setting the world on fire. I guess its okay if they enjoy Outback & Music City bowls.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I looked up Tennessee's last 10 recruiting classes.

2008 - #35
2009 - #10
2010 - #9
2011 - #13
2012 - #17
2013 - #21
2014 - #5
2015 - #5
2016 - #15
2017 - #15

That's not exactly setting the world on fire. I guess its okay if they enjoy Outback & Music City bowls.
3 Top 10 classes there and they were #3 in 2007. They clearly underperformed according to their Rankings.

Why is that silly? They are schools located in urban areas under similar circumstances. GT is practically Pitt's twin brother.

Other than being in an urban area, there is almost nothing similar about Pitt & Vandy.

GaTech is different. I believe Tech could have a very good football program if they had the support.

Utah had to improve their recruiting to compete in the PAC12. Before they joined that conference, they saw classes ranked in the 50s-70s. Once they joined, they started off with conference records of 4-5, 3-6 and 2-7... with their previous recruits. After they got a few years of classes with improved star ratings, their conference record improved to 5-4, 6-5 and 5-4. That's about right were they are recruiting at in the PAC 12. They are slightly over performing because they have a good coach.

The reason why Utah was crushing it all those years with their mediocre recruits, is because they still recruited better then 90% of the teams they played, and had good coaches, but the greatest coach on earth isn't getting it done without quality players relative to his competition.

I don't agree most Pitt fans did not like the Canada hire. Yes, the ones who only follow Pitt and do not follow the rest of the country. Which made their comments foolish.
Canada had a proven track record of success. Especially, once he had total control of his offense. There were a few times where he had his hands tied by a couple of his head coaches. Thus, the reason for some of his offenses put up average numbers.

But as soon as he gained total control of the offfense. They were a well oiled machine

One thing I was really impressed with is that Narduzzi let him go and do his thing. He stayed hands off on the offense and playcalling. I always thought one of Wanny's biggest faults is he used his veto power and was way too conservative on offense for college football.

Reactions: sherepower
Rankings According to Scout/247, Rivals, ESPN, Tom Lemming?
I was asking you. You obviously have something in mind and have evaluated all the recruits and transfers based on some resource.

Basically what you are doing is putting your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and tapping your ruby slippers together. You can't just claim you have a better evaluation and then not back it up. You don't seem to have a basis or any knowledge on the comparables, but just a feeling Pitt would be much better and/or isn't being judged fairly.

TN has had a bunch of Top 10 classes over the past 10 years.

Utah won 9, 10, and 9 games the last 3 seasons.
3 Top 10 classes there and they were #3 in 2007. They clearly underperformed according to their Rankings.
I don't think you realize their competition in the SEC.

One thing I was really impressed with is that Narduzzi let him go and do his thing. He stayed hands off on the offense and playcalling. I always thought one of Wanny's biggest faults is he used his veto power and was way too conservative on offense for college football.
His biggest mistake was hiring Cavanaugh as OC. Cignetti did a much better job.

For us in the ACC? Absolutely. For SEC teams? Not really. It is a completely different level of competition for recruits and wins.

But....Rip...what am I going to say?? We are not IN the SEC. And we will never recruit at an Alabama/LSU level. If Pitt would have those classes that Tennessee had, I would be ecstatic. And Pitt would have won the Coastal at least a couple of times.

Are we recruiting well enough? To win 8 or 9 games yes, to win conference titles probably not.

There are plenty of teams that have had varying levels of success without recruiting at a level any higher than we are right now(wvu,cincy, wisconsin and MI ST) to name a few. But there are many many others that haven't.
If I am evaluating a coach I am looking at 3 separate things.
1. recruiting- this is simple are you beating out pier schools for the guys you want not settling for what you get.
2.Player development, player fit to scheme,player retention and talent evaluation - There are tons of 2 star and 3 star players that will be stars in college and the NFL. Can you find them, make them better, keep them out of trouble and on the team and do they fit your scheme.
3. X's and O's- can you out scheme the opposition.

Its to early to really tell where PN and staff are going to fall in these category's. But so far I would give them a 1.C 2.B 3. B

Are we recruiting well enough? To win 8 or 9 games yes, to win conference titles probably not.

There are plenty of teams that have had varying levels of success without recruiting at a level any higher than we are right now(wvu,cincy, wisconsin and MI ST) to name a few. But there are many many others that haven't.
If I am evaluating a coach I am looking at 3 separate things.
1. recruiting- this is simple are you beating out pier schools for the guys you want not settling for what you get.
2.Player development, player fit to scheme,player retention and talent evaluation - There are tons of 2 star and 3 star players that will be stars in college and the NFL. Can you find them, make them better, keep them out of trouble and on the team and do they fit your scheme.
3. X's and O's- can you out scheme the opposition.

Its to early to really tell where PN and staff are going to fall in these category's. But so far I would give them a 1.C 2.B 3. B

Duzz talks about winning the AÇC, he needs to recruit much better. Classes between 35 and 55 won't get it done

The only thing that worries me a little bit is we don't seem to get many kids to sign here early on. Overall though I think narduzzi is doing a solid job recruiting. For one I think he's got a good eye for talent and knows the type of players he wants and I also expect it to gradually continue to improve.

Hate to bring this up but have to vent a bit, kinda sickening the current 1/2 on Rivals for 2018 are PSU and Miami.

Literally feels like a 4-star kid commits to the Nits every other day, gotta give them credit

#1 thing on top high school player's mind is playing in the NFL. HCPN staff are doing a good job and can sell that going forward. Early playing time, top notch facilities, pro stadium, national TV exposure, and a cozy relationship with Steelers. We really should be doing better, better salesman would get that message out

Reactions: sherepower
#1 thing on top high school player's mind is playing in the NFL. HCPN staff are doing a good job and can sell that going forward. Early playing time, top notch facilities, pro stadium, national TV exposure, and a cozy relationship with Steelers. We really should be doing better, better salesman would get that message out

Completely misguided.

Early Playing Time - While true that this influences some decisions, it also means your program has a lot of room for improvement.

Top Notch Facilities - They are good, but let's not call them top notch, because they aren't in comparison to what the top teams have.

Pro Stadium - True, but that's a negative.

National TV Exposure - compared to the gazillion other teams with the same exposure?

Cozy with Steelers - Doesn't matter. Good for photo ops.

I get it though, our only option is to pretend that those things are all great benefits, because Pitt has placed itself into a corner where that's just how it is.

Those type of classes will keep us at a clear talent disadvantage against 3 programs in our conference. I wouldn't call that very good. It's not bad & I'd certainly take it right now though.

But....Rip...what am I going to say?? We are not IN the SEC. And we will never recruit at an Alabama/LSU level. If Pitt would have those classes that Tennessee had, I would be ecstatic. And Pitt would have won the Coastal at least a couple of times.
Of course, but it doesn't cut it for UT and that was the original point. We get those classes and we can easily compete in the ACC.

Tennessee doesn't have high very high recruiting rankings relative to their competition. Last year they were 7th in the SEC. Since 2010 (using the composite rankings) against the SEC: 7, 3, 5, 11, 8, 6, 4. An average of 6+. They also had 3 coaches over that time and thus rapid roster turnover. Are you saying Hendrix shouldn't be considered as highly?

I don't think the system is flawless, but it sure gets it right far more than it gets it wrong.

All of this.

It's impossible to argue against the correlation between recruiting rankings and on field success. The evidence is overwhelming. The fact that some players maybe get a bump to appeal to fan bases that pay sites more money, or ESPN might bump up a kid that is going to play in its high school All Star game, only shows just how accurate the services are. Even with all this "corruption," when you look at the correlation between recruiting class rankings and winning, it holds up.
Recruiting classes must be put in context though, at least until you get to the playoffs and get to be Michigan State or Washington and have to actually go against elite talent teams. But up until that point, you have to factor in the road ahead of you as it relates to the recruiting class rankings of the teams you play. If you're in the SEC, you better be bringing in elite ranked classes every year if you want to compete every year. If you're in the Big Ten West, not as important. Hope you avoid the Big Ten East powers during the regular season, and steal one from the one you play in the Big Ten championship. You're never going to be an elite program, but maybe you get some Rose Bowl appearances out of it.

I've read through 5 pages of nonsense..why is it so hard for you guys to understand that you need to recruit 4-5star players?if you don't wanna suck..get the blue chips... Jesus.....

Reactions: Hotshoe and H2P333
I would be happy with 20 to 30 ranked classes at this point. Pitt the school doesn't value its football program enough to win. That's the bottom line.

I've read through 5 pages of nonsense..why is it so hard for you guys to understand that you need to recruit 4-5star players?if you don't wanna suck..get the blue chips... Jesus.....

have wisconsin,wvu and MI ST sucked? None of them recruited any better than what PN has at Pitt. In fact, on paper, Pitt's last two classes were probably better than what those schools were bringing in while winning a lot of games. It just the percentages favor those that recruit better. Pitt isn't likely to ever be a consistent top 10 recruiting team they need to get into the 20 range and then supplement with guys like browne and clark.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Exactly !!!!! I think CPN has a lot to sell and he's had to dela with a lot of Paul Chryst lousy players and bad recruiting. Duzz is getting it rolling with some aweosme transfers which count and he's only in year 3. I give him till the end of the year to make an evaluation. He is the best coach in Pennsylvania. He owns Franklin via the win last year and even though we are underdogs this year he will pull this game out. Ped state will be playing tight with heavy expectations and we will be playing with nothing to lose and will beat them. Recruits will see it. Next year is not strong overall locally in the WPIAL and Coach will need to delve into Florida and sell our brand down there. There are a ton of kids to be had down south. He needs to sell our brand nationally.

Exactly !!!!! I think CPN has a lot to sell and he's had to dela with a lot of Paul Chryst lousy players and bad recruiting. Duzz is getting it rolling with some aweosme transfers which count and he's only in year 3. I give him till the end of the year to make an evaluation. He is the best coach in Pennsylvania. He owns Franklin via the win last year and even though we are underdogs this year he will pull this game out. Ped state will be playing tight with heavy expectations and we will be playing with nothing to lose and will beat them. Recruits will see it. Next year is not strong overall locally in the WPIAL and Coach will need to delve into Florida and sell our brand down there. There are a ton of kids to be had down south. He needs to sell our brand nationally.

Recruits will see it???
They apparently missed the Pitt win last year based on recruiting so far this year.
I don't think anyone "owns" anybody based on one very slim win. It will be easier to judge once this four-game series plays out.

Recruits will see it???
They apparently missed the Pitt win last year based on recruiting so far this year.
I don't think anyone "owns" anybody based on one very slim win. It will be easier to judge once this four-game series plays out.

Bitter nitter

1. Chris Clark was drooled over by UPS and had family going there and he didn't even give them more than a courtesy visit and in the end became a Panther.
2. Maxwell Browne was a consensus all American 5 star QB and is our starter. Tracy Mcsorely was a 3 star safety/QB who never had a Pitt offer.
3. Academically we are ranked well ahead of penn state is nearly all categories.
4. We have more NFL players produced and more hall of famers. Recruits value that.
5. We need to go toe to toe with them. F it. Coach Narduzzi is not in the least intimidated by them and you can tell the contempt him and Franklin have for each other.
6. Paris Ford, Damar Hamlin, Jordan Whitehead
--> all kids Franklin slobbered over yet they didn't give him the nod. Duzz > Franklin
7. The answer was given above. The university needs to get our brand out there. We are a prestigious academic institution in a safe urban environment with a tradition of multiple college championships. Time to truly market our brand.

I would be happy with 20 to 30 ranked classes at this point. Pitt the school doesn't value its football program enough to win. That's the bottom line.
They were 25-30 two years ago, and around 35 last year so you should be happy or at least close to it.

ADVERTISEMENT