ADVERTISEMENT

Are we recruiting well enough?

4 Top 10 classes in 11 years allows any school with good coaching to be in contention for a national title.[/QUOTE

It's not outside the realm of possibility. But to be a true contender for a national title, I don't think that is quite good enough. It would be very difficult to actually win one with those type of classes.

Completely misguided.

Early Playing Time - While true that this influences some decisions, it also means your program has a lot of room for improvement.

Top Notch Facilities - They are good, but let's not call them top notch, because they aren't in comparison to what the top teams have.

Pro Stadium - True, but that's a negative.

National TV Exposure - compared to the gazillion other teams with the same exposure?

Cozy with Steelers - Doesn't matter. Good for photo ops.

I get it though, our only option is to pretend that those things are all great benefits, because Pitt has placed itself into a corner where that's just how it is.

Exactly, you have to be convincing and know what you got. Sell ice to eskimo's whatever.

I've been wondering about the mixed message we are sending with the "412crew", "Litzburgh", gang type rap then impose over the top penalties for typical urban behavior. So are we squeaky clean choirboys or bangers. Need a clear brand message, let's face it the football program is the most visible branding message for the university. We need to find are niche and focus. (I.e. Under appreciated, Hardworking, blue collar underdogs or slick, trend setting wide open, fast, left lane, hammer down). We don't have a clear identity to market.

Bitter nitter

1. Chris Clark was drooled over by UPS and had family going there and he didn't even give them more than a courtesy visit and in the end became a Panther.
2. Maxwell Browne was a consensus all American 5 star QB and is our starter. Tracy Mcsorely was a 3 star safety/QB who never had a Pitt offer.
3. Academically we are ranked well ahead of penn state is nearly all categories.
4. We have more NFL players produced and more hall of famers. Recruits value that.
5. We need to go toe to toe with them. F it. Coach Narduzzi is not in the least intimidated by them and you can tell the contempt him and Franklin have for each other.
6. Paris Ford, Damar Hamlin, Jordan Whitehead
--> all kids Franklin slobbered over yet they didn't give him the nod. Duzz > Franklin
7. The answer was given above. The university needs to get our brand out there. We are a prestigious academic institution in a safe urban environment with a tradition of multiple college championships. Time to truly market our brand.

Then why is our class ranked like 60th and their class ranked like 2nd?

Exactly, you have to be convincing and know what you got. Sell ice to eskimo's whatever.

I've been wondering about the mixed message we are sending with the "412crew", "Litzburgh", gang type rap then impose over the top penalties for typical urban behavior. So are we squeaky clean choirboys or bangers. Need a clear brand message, let's face it the football program is the most visible branding message for the university. We need to find are niche and focus. (I.e. Under appreciated, Hardworking, blue collar underdogs or slick, trend setting wide open, fast, left lane, hammer down). We don't have a clear identity to market.
We also have had the two whitest white stiff-asses who possibly ever have lived as chancellors. Same with ADs. And of course no minority head coaches (other than Haywood of course...).

An urban school and sports programs perhaps should take a tip from the most successful organization in town in its attitude on diversity.

4 Top 10 classes in 11 years allows any school with good coaching to be in contention for a national title.
Their recruiting over the last decade makes them about the 5th-7th best team in their conference and at best behind at least 3 teams they play every single year. So, you'd have to have THE BEST coaching to overcome that to even win your division, let alone contend for a national title.

I'm not sure you have a clue about the recruiting needed to contend on an SEC level, let alone a National level.

We need to be right there with the top 4 teams in the ACC to compete. Coaching won't make up more than that and it is very, very questionable whether we can ever have top 4 coaching let alone top 2 coaching. Being a middle of the road recruiting ACC program will not get us there. It will get us 6-8 wins and the occasional upset. Woopidy-doo.

It's plenty good in the sec east
It is 3rd best in their division and 4th best on their every year schedule, so you essentially have to pull at least 3 upsets every year to have a chance at the division. 4 upsets to win the conference and then probably 2 more to win an NC. You can't be a real contender.

Bitter nitter

1. Chris Clark was drooled over by UPS and had family going there and he didn't even give them more than a courtesy visit and in the end became a Panther.
2. Maxwell Browne was a consensus all American 5 star QB and is our starter. Tracy Mcsorely was a 3 star safety/QB who never had a Pitt offer.
3. Academically we are ranked well ahead of penn state is nearly all categories.
4. We have more NFL players produced and more hall of famers. Recruits value that.
5. We need to go toe to toe with them. F it. Coach Narduzzi is not in the least intimidated by them and you can tell the contempt him and Franklin have for each other.
6. Paris Ford, Damar Hamlin, Jordan Whitehead
--> all kids Franklin slobbered over yet they didn't give him the nod. Duzz > Franklin
7. The answer was given above. The university needs to get our brand out there. We are a prestigious academic institution in a safe urban environment with a tradition of multiple college championships. Time to truly market our brand.
You are absolutely delusional.

Their recruiting over the last decade makes them about the 5th-7th best team in their conference and at best behind at least 3 teams they play every single year. So, you'd have to have THE BEST coaching to overcome that to even win your division, let alone contend for a national title.

I'm not sure you have a clue about the recruiting needed to contend on an SEC level, let alone a National level.

We need to be right there with the top 4 teams in the ACC to compete. Coaching won't make up more than that and it is very, very questionable whether we can ever have top 4 coaching let alone top 2 coaching. Being a middle of the road recruiting ACC program will not get us there. It will get us 6-8 wins and the occasional upset. Woopidy-doo.

Nailed it , that's why many of us diehards don't get overly invested anymore. 35 years of bad to avg football will do this , and it starts with commitment from the school to recruiting.

I use to drive 10 hours round trip for every home game , I was 35 and said, why do I care more than the school about its football team. So now I pick one game a year and watch the rest on the TV

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT