ADVERTISEMENT

Art Rooney II is the new Bob Nutting??

the recovery from 2-6 masked a lot of issues. Makes no sense, but it is the "Steeler" way.

Just wait until they draft Porter in the 1st round

• Sad
Reactions: Chaos
I get the sense that they still think it's 25 years ago. Just run the football, play defense and open up the offense in the 4th quarter if you have to. They are going to draft an inside linebacker and a center/guard with their first two picks to build a team poised to win the AFC Central in 1999.

if tomlin wants to hitch his career wagon on matt jet sweep canada then next year is all on him then. if (when) we are extremely mediocre again, tomlin needs to be held accountable. I mean, he wont, not with the rooney rule steelers but he should be..

Matt Canada looks to be coming back. Why? How? My god, a franchise like the Steelers with a rookie QB should be looking for the very best. Tomlin and ArtII are ruining this franchise.
Let’s wait until the nfl season is over
The stiller way is to allow him to interview and leave on his own before firing him

The offense did improve as KP got more experience.
In 2 of the last 3 games the team scored 1 touchdown and that touchdown came on their final possession.

While saying that, I find it ironic that the team was running a no-huddle offense and guess who wasn't calling in the plays?

Reactions: 303vND
But that was different !
The Rooneys pay coordinators. That’s what Doug Whaley said the other day. But what has changed now is they don’t pay position coaches these days. So in a sense, it is different.

my complaint is the lack of downfield passing. I thought it was due last year to Ben's arm being shot but it seems to be a preference for Canada. Think I would rather see Haley there than Canada.
I saw a long video today of Ben’s rookie season. Let’s just say the offense was completely different. Ben was under center a lot, there was lots of play action and receivers were open downfield. HOF players and pedigreed coaches will do that for ya.

Matt Canada looks to be coming back. Why? How? My god, a franchise like the Steelers with a rookie QB should be looking for the very best. Tomlin and ArtII are ruining this franchise.
I can’t take credit for this line, but a local media personality coined it and I think it sums it up perfectly:

The Pittsburgh Steelers over the last 12 years…

Mediocrity masquerading as stability

I will proudly lead the fire Tomlin bandwagon if he retains Canada and the season amounts to nothing again next year.

Reactions: boseman7
In 2 of the last 3 games the team scored 1 touchdown and that touchdown came on their final possession.

While saying that, I find it ironic that the team was running a no-huddle offense and guess who wasn't calling in the plays?

That's a good point, but I think overall they seem to have improved. They also need an x factor like player for his offense, I think.

The last time the Steelers had a rookie quarterback Bill Cowher promoted his tight end coach to be the offensive coordinator.
Are you talking about Wisenhunt? Didn't he go on to be a head coach? Do you think Matt Canada is going to be? Don't play were you can't counter with something that is intelligent.

I can’t take credit for this line, but a local media personality coined it and I think it sums it up perfectly:

That's it. "The Steelers Way". Unfortunately it is the "Steelers Way" of the buffoon Chief and not his son Dan.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I'm okay if they give him another year. However, would I be upset if they shit the bed offensively after 5-6 games and he gets fired - no.

I'm not impressed with the skill talent the way some are.

Pickens - extremely good at making contested throws look normal. However, his route running or speed must be lacking because he's often blanketed.

Johnson - runs really good routes, after that I think he's about as average as can be.

'Muth - He's pretty good on play actions. However, I think his route running is pedestrian. He often gets himself covered vs. zone coverages. He could be a lot better. I thought he would be tbh.

Najee - his last few games were awesome. Can he play like that all the time?

Reactions: Parkview57
I'm okay if they give him another year. However, would I be upset if they shit the bed offensively after 5-6 games and he gets fired - no.

Pickens - extremely good at making contested throws look normal. However, his route running or speed must be lacking because he's often blanketed.

Johnson - runs really good routes, after that I think he's about as average as can be.

'Muth - He's pretty good on play actions. However, I think his route running is pedestrian. He often gets himself covered vs. zone coverages. He could be a lot better. I thought he would be tbh.

LT and WR are two positions on offense that need to be addressed either via the draft or free agency.

I wouldn't want to take credit for that line either, would probably make you sound like an out of touch asshole.

Over those 12 years.

5th highest winning percentage.
7 payoff appearances.
3rd highest Non-Conference record at 32-17-1.
5th best division record in the toughest Division in the NFL.
6th best Non-Division record (Baltimore is 5th, Cinci is 9th. Only 1 other Division even has 2 in the top 10, let alone 3 and that's NFC West and their 3rd team is 15th)
2nd most Playoff Losses...wait

Pittsburgh has been terrible in the playoffs, there's no arguing that, but it's ridiculous to say they have been mediocre.

Are you talking about Wisenhunt? Didn't he go on to be a head coach? Do you think Matt Canada is going to be? Don't play were you can't counter with something that is intelligent.

A coach that was a miracle drive by Big Ben away from winning a super bowl.

I think Tomlin is a better coach than Bill Cowher, but there's no question that Cowher blew him away when hiring assistants. It's Tomlin's biggest crutch. He's just bad at hiring staff. So bad that he shouldn't be allowed to do it.

I wouldn't want to take credit for that line either, would probably make you sound like an out of touch asshole.

Over those 12 years.

7 payoff appearances.
6th best Non-Division record (Baltimore is 5th, Cinci is 9th. Only 1 other Division even has 2 in the top 10, let alone 3 and that's NFC West and their 3rd team is 15th)

Pittsburgh has been terrible in the playoffs, there's no arguing that, but it's ridiculous to say they have been mediocre.
You’re probably a guy who thinks Tomlin was worthy of coach of the year discussion too after going 9-8, while bashing Cowher for his 8-8 final season.

According to your stats over 12 seasons
7 playoff seasons
5 non playoff seasons
3 playoff wins

Equates to mediocre.

Last edited:
Let’s wait until the nfl season is over
The stiller way is to allow him to interview and leave on his own before firing him
Tomlin’s a loyal guy. I don’t see him cutting Canada loose. My hope is he brings in a passing game coordinator in the very least. Someone Canada would respect and look up to.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer

Over those 12 years.

7 payoff appearances.

Some of that was due to the fact that Cleveland and Cincy both were terrible for a number of years.

What I can't decide is it the receivers or the route and passing tree design?

I think Tomlin is a better coach than Bill Cowher, but there's no question that Cowher blew him away when hiring assistants. It's Tomlin's biggest crutch. He's just bad at hiring staff. So bad that he shouldn't be allowed to do it.
Again, let's not forget that Cowher's staffs were also hired by Dan Rooney. All of the Steeler's greatness was led by Dan Rooney. Not guys named Art.

Reactions: Dan1911 and Pitt79

How is Tomlin any better lmao?

Reactions: Dan1911
What I can't decide is it the receivers or the route and passing tree design?
I personally think a rookie QB should be under center more and with an effective run game use play action. I only went to one game this year and it was last week, and there was no one to throw to.

Some of that was due to the fact that Cleveland and Cincy both were terrible for a number of years.
Yes for a few of those years, but they also had 6 10-win seasons in the past 11 years. There isn't another division that can say their 3rd best team has that, hell I'd be that most don't have a 2nd best team with that. The AFC North has a 3-team combo that has been the most dominant trio in any division over the past 11 years. As the 3rd best team, Cincinnati has been to more playoffs over that time than the 2nd best team in most conferences. They are 70-56-3 playing outside their division since 2011 but 32-41 within the division. If they played in almost any other division, they'd be a perennial playoff team.

edit: There are 9 teams with 6 10-win seasons in the past 11 years, 3 of those teams are in the AFC North.

Last edited:
You’re probably a guy who thinks Tomlin was worthy of coach of the year discussion too after going 9-8, while bashing Cowher for his 8-8 final season.

According to your stats over 12 seasons
7 playoff seasons
5 non playoff seasons
3 playoff wins

Equates to mediocre.
There are 32 teams, what is mediocrity? middle third? Name 9 teams that have had more success over the past 11 years. I can think of 4, maybe 5 teams that I'd say have been better.

Reactions: Ski11585
Again, let's not forget that Cowher's staffs were also hired by Dan Rooney. All of the Steeler's greatness was led by Dan Rooney. Not guys named Art.
I don't think Dan Rooney was finding staff for Cowher. Of course he needed to ok it as President, but it's not like Dan was out there hand selecting his assistants. Cowher gets much of the credit for who he hired, just as Tomlin owns his assistant coaching hires.

I get the sense that they still think it's 25 years ago. Just run the football, play defense and open up the offense in the 4th quarter if you have to. They are going to draft an inside linebacker and a center/guard with their first two picks to build a team poised to win the AFC Central in 1999.
Yes, they are that STUPID. They'll never win against the good teams anymore thinking that a STUPID AS HELL philosophy like "control the clock, run the ball and play elite D" can win in the current NFL. Today you need to build an offense to win 42-38 track meets, scoring fast and often, chunk plays followed by more chunk plays, not ball control, THAT'S DUMB! The Steelers had the ball 34 minutes in their Week 8 game at Philadelphia. But they lost 35-13. The Eagles scored four touchdowns before they even ran a play in the red zone. That's NFL offense 2023, at least if you want to be a serious contender.

That's it. "The Steelers Way". Unfortunately it is the "Steelers Way" of the buffoon Chief and not his son Dan.
That's true, The Senile Drunken "Chief" was the worst owner in the NFL, hired his drinking buddies to coach as they stumbled around the NFL basement for 40 years, the only reason he has this big "legacy" is he turned it over the REAL HERO of Stillers Football, his son Dan, otherwise Old Art would be remembered right next to Bidwell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT