Babcock Offensive Player of the Week, Week 12

phijo

Freshman
Apr 24, 2005
You read that right. Not freshman of the week but offensive player of the week

And Fairbanks is setter of the week, once again! Congrats to both

You read that right. Not freshman of the week but offensive player of the week

And Fairbanks is setter of the week, once again! Congrats to both

The race for ACC Freshman of the Year is now between Miami's Grace Lopez and Pitt's Olivia Babcock. Recall that Lopez was Offensive Player of the Week last week. Babcock has more FOW honors than Lopez however. I believe it's Babcock's award to lose as of now. Miami and Pitt line up against one another at the Fitzgerald the night before Thanksgiving. It will be another Babcock vs Lopez show. Both are destined to become All Americans someday....maybe even this year.

Reactions: Chaos
I don't think its much of a race TBH. Babcock ranks in ACC play:
Points per set: 1st
Kills per set: 2nd
Aces per set: 3rd
Blocks per set: 9th

That's out of every player in the ACC, not just freshman. Lopez is actually second in points per set and is the only one ahead of Liv on kills per set, but she doesnt stuff the stat sheet in aces or blocks the way Liv does. The bigger question is - does Babcock win overall ACC player of the year? I think if Pitt beats Louisville, she has a shot. I'm not sure who else it would go to - maybe Bertolino of GT? Louisville's best two players stats wise are Scott and Glock and while I expect them to win Setter of the Year and Defensive Player of the year I would be surprised to see either win player of the year. We'll see though. ACC may not want to give Player of the Year to a freshman

I don't think its much of a race TBH. Babcock ranks in ACC play:
Points per set: 1st
Kills per set: 2nd
Aces per set: 3rd
Blocks per set: 9th

That's out of every player in the ACC, not just freshman. Lopez is actually second in points per set and is the only one ahead of Liv on kills per set, but she doesnt stuff the stat sheet in aces or blocks the way Liv does. The bigger question is - does Babcock win overall ACC player of the year? I think if Pitt beats Louisville, she has a shot. I'm not sure who else it would go to - maybe Bertolino of GT? Louisville's best two players stats wise are Scott and Glock and while I expect them to win Setter of the Year and Defensive Player of the year I would be surprised to see either win player of the year. We'll see though. ACC may not want to give Player of the Year to a freshman
Babcock is having a better season statistically than Buzzerio when she won it.

Babcock is 9th in the conference in blocks, mixed in higher than a bunch of teams' MBs. That's wild. Of course she's getting block-assists with our productive MBs, but that's still a wild statistic.

In 126 sets in 2022, Buzzerio had 83 total blocks.
In 87 sets in 2023, Babcock has 93 total blocks.

Babcock is having a better season statistically than Buzzerio when she won it.

Babcock is 9th in the conference in blocks, mixed in higher than a bunch of teams' MBs. That's wild. Of course she's getting block-assists with our productive MBs, but that's still a wild statistic.

In 126 sets in 2022, Buzzerio had 83 total blocks.
In 87 sets in 2023, Babcock has 93 total blocks.
Claire Chaussee, Louisville was Player of the Year in the ACC in 2022. You are correct though....Babcock's stats are every bit as good as Buzzario....and across a number of stat categories. I think Babcock easily makes the all ACC 1st team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT