ADVERTISEMENT

Bama 100% should get in over Ohio State

PittPanther84

Walk-on
Mar 7, 2016
The Big 10 was AWFUL this year... Clemson or Bama would've blown Wisconsin out by 50. And it's funny how Ohio State fans will talk about SOS where if you looked at just pure resumes USC would get in over either.

Point is, Bama is WAY better than OSU without a doubt, put them in.

Bama didn't even win their division lol yeah they should be not

Betting wise they are definitely the favorite to get the final berth though, have seen Alabama as high as -240 offshore. I personally think it’s closer than that.

Reactions: paulbl99
Bama will get in. They showed last year they'd rather pick a 1-loss team that didn't a conference than a 2-loss champion, especially one with an ugly loss. Plus, a Clemson-Bama semifinal matchup would break some ratings records.

As a #4 seed Alabama would be a small favorite over #1 Clemson

Bama will get in. They showed last year they'd rather pick a 1-loss team that didn't a conference than a 2-loss champion, especially one with an ugly loss. Plus, a Clemson-Bama semifinal matchup would break some ratings records.

Bama may get the nod but it's not the same as last year where they chose one B1G team over another B1G team.

If we were to eliminate all the bias
Example: SEC is strong myth

Then the #4 seed should actually be .....
USC

This is how I would seed #4-#6 with criteria and eye test
#4 USC
#5 Alabama
#6 Ohio St

But since the committee isn't likely to put USC at #4, then I actually would prefer Ohio St at #4 as otherwise the SEC is superior myth will keep going on.

Reactions: Chaos
The Big 10 was AWFUL this year... Clemson or Bama would've blown Wisconsin out by 50. And it's funny how Ohio State fans will talk about SOS where if you looked at just pure resumes USC would get in over either.

Point is, Bama is WAY better than OSU without a doubt, put them in.
Yeah, I think that USC should be in the discussion, but apparently there are too many Buckeye talking heads, so that's out of the question. I think you should be a conference champion to get in, but I'd still love to see the Big 10 on the outside looking in. But I just have trouble believing the committee would shut them out since they have so many alumni, and so much money. Shutting them out may be the quickest way to an 8 team playoff, where all conf champs get in, though.

Reactions: 303vND
Yeah, I think that USC should be in the discussion, but apparently there are too many Buckeye talking heads, so that's out of the question. I think you should be a conference champion to get in, but I'd still love to see the Big 10 on the outside looking in. But I just have trouble believing the committee would shut them out since they have so many alumni, and so much money. Shutting them out may be the quickest way to an 8 team playoff, where all conf champs get in, though.

Agree!

Reactions: Chaos
Bama is a much better team, the SEC is still better than a really weak B10, but OSU does have a better resume. If they wanna punish OSU for that debacle at Iowa tho, I have no problems with that. But they will not punish them for losing to Oklahoma, bama by no fault of their own did not challenge themselves like that in OOC. Give them credit for being the only team to play FSU with their starting qb, but how much credit can you really give them?

This is a really tough call, even tougher for the committee because its two teams they always want in. I thought Robert smith brought up an interesting point tho, the committee is full of human minds, does the big ten getting shellacked two years in a row creep to the front of their minds?

Here's my question though.... Alabama certainly has a very, very, very good chance of winning if they get in. Do they deserve that chance though? Did they do enough in the regular season to be placed in a situation where they are 2 games away from lifting a championship trophy?

The thing that sticks with me is last week it was said teams 5-8 were extremely close. Osu was in that. If they believe that then the conference championship will put them in.

The other thing it seems is the committee looks at good wins more than bad losses.

That's why I think osu will be in and the above is the excuse they will give.

Bama is a much better team, the SEC is still better than a really weak B10, but OSU does have a better resume. If they wanna punish OSU for that debacle at Iowa tho, I have no problems with that. But they will not punish them for losing to Oklahoma, bama by no fault of their own did not challenge themselves like that in OOC. Give them credit for being the only team to play FSU with their starting qb, but how much credit can you really give them?

This is a really tough call, even tougher for the committee because its two teams they always want in. I thought Robert smith brought up an interesting point tho, the committee is full of human minds, does the big ten getting shellacked two years in a row creep to the front of their minds?

Here's my question though.... Alabama certainly has a very, very, very good chance of winning if they get in. Do they deserve that chance though? Did they do enough in the regular season to be placed in a situation where they are 2 games away from lifting a championship trophy?
Well, and they'd actually have to rematch OSU and Clemson, which was a 31-0 blowout last year.

For the folks talking up USC, they lost to ND by 35 and struggled to beat some pretty below average Western Michigan, Texas, Utah, Cal, and UCLA teams.
If we were to eliminate all the bias
Example: SEC is strong myth

Then the #4 seed should actually be .....
USC

This is how I would seed #4-#6 with criteria and eye test
#4 USC
#5 Alabama
#6 Ohio St

But since the committee isn't likely to put USC at #4, then I actually would prefer Ohio St at #4 as otherwise the SEC is superior myth will keep going on.

Iowa was to tOSU as Pitt to State College..... a game which might bite them in the arse.

That’s going to be a tough call to leave the middle of the country out of the playoffs w 3 teams from the South , 2 of them from Alabama.
Yes yes it doesn’t work like that but I’m not going to be surprised if the Bucks get#4 spot

Reactions: ThePanthers
Iowa was to tOSU as Pitt to State College..... a game which might bite them in the arse.

That’s going to be a tough call to leave the middle of the country out of the playoffs w 3 teams from the South , 2 of them from Alabama.
Yes yes it doesn’t work like that but I’m not going to be surprised if the Bucks get#4 spot

Umm.. what? Auburn isnt making it.

One from Georgia, one from ALabama, one from south carolina and one from oklahoma.

USC was #6 and Ohio State was #8... both won tight championships, both played yesterday. USC shouldnt get leap-frogged for that osu win that most likely should have been a loss.

Umm.. what? Auburn isnt making it.

One from Georgia, one from ALabama, one from south carolina and one from oklahoma.

USC was #6 and Ohio State was #8... both won tight championships, both played yesterday. USC shouldnt get leap-frogged for that osu win that most likely should have been a loss.
My mistake.
Thanks

Good points agree totally about USC; just sayin the #4 team imo likely to be Bama or tOSU

Reactions: President Stache
Another thing I saw pointed out favoring osu. Last year osu was in top 4 prior to championship games so they didn't leapfrog anyone by staying home.

This year bama would leapfrog auburn into playoffs because auburn lost playing in the extra game.

When I predicted OSU would get in last night, here was the biggest reason and it seems most seem to be over looking this.

The committee values quality wins MORE than bad losses. OSU has more quality wins than Bama and as a extra bonus OSU is a conference champion. Bama also played one less conference game than OSU. That cream puff that Bama played last week was noticed.

The committee gave Clemson a complete pass for their horrible Syracuse loss.

Last edited:
Another thing I saw pointed out favoring osu. Last year osu was in top 4 prior to championship games so they didn't leapfrog anyone by staying home.

This year bama would leapfrog auburn into playoffs because auburn lost playing in the extra game.

Yeah but auburn has 3 losses, Bama has one

Bama didn't even win their division lol yeah they should be not
so what? I keep hearing these talking heads bringing up the importance of winning your conference championship. Not sure how earning your stripes all year in a schitty conference and then winnig it with two blowout losses on your resume (including one at home to a team in the final four) should mean anything. I thought the purpose of the committee was to put the best four temas in the final four. Am I wrong on that? Do you think two blowout loss big ten champ OSU is a better team than one road loss injured at the time Bama? If so then say so but the winning the division argument is moot...

You want to irk PSU fans put a 2 loss Ohio St in the playoffs. PSU fans think OSU gets privileged treatment within the B10 to begin with and last year a 2 loss PSU didn't make the playoff. It will bum out PSU big time if Ohio St makes the playoffs.

When I predicted OSU would get in last night, here was the biggest reason and it seems most seem to be over looking this.

The committee values quality wins MORE than bad losses. OSU has more quality wins than Bama and as a extra bonus OSU is a conference champion. Bama also played one less conference game than OSU. That cream puff that Bama played last week was noticed.

The problem is judging those "quality" wins. That Wisconsin team is not very good. They just get to play a soft as Charmin schedule.

Alabama played auburn last week. Do you mean Mercer the week before? Alabama scheduled the #3 team and a top 25 Fresno. Fresno would probably be the 3rd best team Ohio State beat. I do agree all conferences should go to 9 conference games, but then good ooc games are certainly gone, especially if the playoff expands.

The only "judging" that is going on is with the committee. Their decision is the only one that matters. I'm trying to project what THEY are going to do. Like I said last night, I don't have a strong conviction either way.

The good news, both are big time programs and one is going to feel Iike they were screwed. These programs carry weight. The loser in this battle will bitch bitch and bitch some more. This might be the starting point for future change when the current contract is up.

Here is one thing I have not mentioned before and I think carries weight. I'm not saying it should or should not. But considering how dominant Bama has been In recent years, I think this gives them a added advantage for this year. Its natural for the committee members to have this in the back of their minds.

The problem is judging those "quality" wins. That Wisconsin team is not very good. They just get to play a soft as Charmin schedule.

Alabama played auburn last week. Do you mean Mercer the week before? Alabama scheduled the #3 team and a top 25 Fresno. Fresno would probably be the 3rd best team Ohio State beat. I do agree all conferences should go to 9 conference games, but then good ooc games are certainly gone, especially if the playoff expands.

Last edited:
Alabama now down to about -140 to get the final spot.

Would be cool if it was like English Championship Football where the 2 teams on the bubble play each other to see who gets to move up to the Premier League.

Alabama -7.5 over Ohio St next Saturday!

I just wonder: If Alabama played Ohio State's schedule do they lose 2 games? Do they give up 55 and lose to Iowa by 31? I don't think any honest person answers those questions "Yes."

The liberal sports media " fairness doctrine" says "we have to give everyone a chance" regardless of qualifications says you cannot have two or more teams from the same conference in the CFP's!
Simple! Its just not "fair" ( a Buffett banned word).

If a Big 10 team isn't included the conference members and fans will feel bad. Their feeling will be hurt! The PAC whatever conference ( I never watch them) is left out because they're terrible!

So Alabama is in trouble!

Last edited:

The biggest reason OSU is likely going to get in over Bama has nothing to do with what happened on the field. Its politics, the SEC is already getting a team in. The committee is made up of people who for the most part have ties to the P5 conferences. Its split up among the P5 so if its close they are always going to vote for their own. Going to be very very difficult for any conference to get more than 1 in. ACC, b12 and pac 12 people aren't going to go Bama over OSU because they don't want their conference to be left out next year increased.

The politics is why I hope they go to 8 with 5 auto bid's for conference champs. Still be some involved with the 3 wild cards(2 in my system as one would go to g5 school) but better system than what we have now.

The biggest reason OSU is likely going to get in over Bama has nothing to do with what happened on the field. Its politics, the SEC is already getting a team in. The committee is made up of people who for the most part have ties to the P5 conferences. Its split up among the P5 so if its close they are always going to vote for their own. Going to be very very difficult for any conference to get more than 1 in. ACC, b12 and pac 12 people aren't going to go Bama over OSU because they don't want their conference to be left out next year increased.

The politics is why I hope they go to 8 with 5 auto bid's for conference champs. Still be some involved with the 3 wild cards(2 in my system as one would go to g5 school) but better system than what we have now.
You nailed it. Top six conference champs, two wildcards. Gives everyone a chance to play their way in. I would also hope the emphasis on conference games encourages better OOC matchups, but I am not holding my breath on this one.

I just wonder: If Alabama played Ohio State's schedule do they lose 2 games? Do they give up 55 and lose to Iowa by 31? I don't think any honest person answers those questions "Yes."
You hit the nail on the head. Bama would never lose to Iowa, and I doubt OU beats them in Tuscaloosa. On the other hand, OSU ain't winning at Auburn either. OSU looked sloppy last night, and wouldn't have beaten any of the other top teams.

The system sucks. I still say, if you can't win your conference, you don't belong. Clemson, Okla, and Georgia should be in. If you are going for 4 best teams, then Alabama should be considered...but only if you truly think the SEC is the absolute best...but with all the cupcakes they play, it is hard to say.

I hate Ohio State, but they did win their conference...and so did USC.... So you want to do a power 5 playoff, take the 4 conference winners from the for best (mathimatically) conferences for the year. Not sure who that would leave out, but it gets opinions out of the way.

Anyway, I will get on my soapbox and not watch any of the games.

The system sucks. I still say, if you can't win your conference, you don't belong. Clemson, Okla, and Georgia should be in. If you are going for 4 best teams, then Alabama should be considered...but only if you truly think the SEC is the absolute best...but with all the cupcakes they play, it is hard to say.

I hate Ohio State, but they did win their conference...and so did USC.... So you want to do a power 5 playoff, take the 4 conference winners from the for best (mathimatically) conferences for the year. Not sure who that would leave out, but it gets opinions out of the way.

Anyway, I will get on my soapbox and not watch any of the games.
The Playoff is for the 4 best teams. They got it right.

Reactions: Jpripper88
are you sure you don't won't a potential 3 or 4 loss team that pulls an upset in the Ice Cold Dr. Pepper Here money maker conference championship game in the national playoff? ... that's crazy talk.

I understand how they came to that conclusion, but Alabama benefitted from not having to play in a conference championship game. Who knows if they would have beat Georgia. If you can't win your division, you don't deserve it...especially if the team that beat you didn't win the conference.

I just HATE the system. The "Best" team doesn't always win the superbowl, or even make it to that game. Especially when "Best" is subjective.

Not mad at your response...just mad at the system.

I understand how they came to that conclusion, but Alabama benefitted from not having to play in a conference championship game. Who knows if they would have beat Georgia. If you can't win your division, you don't deserve it...especially if the team that beat you didn't win the conference.

I just HATE the system. The "Best" team doesn't always win the superbowl, or even make it to that game. Especially when "Best" is subjective.

Not mad at your response...just mad at the system.
True, but the "best" team does always make it to the postseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT