ADVERTISEMENT

Beating the proverbial dead horse

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
Another OT “rules” idea … and maybe it’s been discussed before with a similar concept:

1) Play an entire OT period of 8:00 (approx 1/2 of a normal NFL quarter)
2) No “sudden victory or sudden death”.
3) Whichever team is ahead at the end of the OT period wins, regardless of which team scores first or by what means (TD, FG, Safety, Pick-6, et al)
4) Both teams get 2 time outs; and there’s a 2:00 warning. Clock operates as usual with a full clock stop only after a play ends up out of bounds in the last two minutes
5) If both teams are tied after the first OT, a second sudden victory/death period is played. Possession to begin the 2nd OT will be the team that was on defense at the end of first OT. Ball will start from that team’s 25 yd line. First score in the 2nd OT wins.

BTW, it took me 8:00 to think of this idea, write it, and post it here. 😂😜

For the record, I am fine with the current NFL OT rule. Granted, the team losing the coin toss is at a disadvantage - especially if they had just ended the regulation game playing defense. But all teams know the rules. They had 60 minutes to decide the game in regulation. The only thing about the idea above is that under almost every situation, both teams will possess the ball at least once.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Another OT “rules” idea … and maybe it’s been discussed before with a similar concept:

1) Play an entire OT period of 8:00 (approx 1/2 of a normal NFL quarter)
2) No “sudden victory or sudden death”.
3) Whichever team is ahead at the end of the OT period wins, regardless of which team scores first or by what means (TD, FG, Safety, Pick-6, et al)
4) Both teams get 2 time outs; and there’s a 2:00 warning. Clock operates as usual with a full clock stop only after a play ends up out of bounds in the last two minutes
5) If both teams are tied after the first OT, a second sudden victory/death period is played. Possession to begin the 2nd OT will be the team that was on defense at the end of first OT. Ball will start from that team’s 25 yd line. First score in the 2nd OT wins.

BTW, it took me 8:00 to think of this idea, write it, and post it here. 😂😜

For the record, I am fine with the current NFL OT rule. Granted, the team losing the coin toss is at a disadvantage - especially if they had just ended the regulation game playing defense. But all teams know the rules. They had 60 minutes to decide the game in regulation. The only thing about the idea above is that under almost every situation, both teams will possess the ball at least once.

Dueling possessions from the 50. No clock. Play forever if you have to. This should be regular season OT too. No ties.

Reactions: ChazzMo
I don't like the 10 min in reg.season.Either move it back to sudden death or forget it.Both teams knew the rule going in.There should be no problem here.The Bills needed to keep them out of the endzone,they didn't, end of story.

Dueling possessions from the 50. No clock. Play forever if you have to. This should be regular season OT too. No ties.
The first OT could be this...dueling possessions....any TD has to go for two. Second OT...a 10 minute sudden death. The game has to end eventually...

They have already attempted to minimize the coin toss by requiring a touchdown on the first possession. Back when it was any score it was very unfair.

See below, very little advantage during regular season for coin toss winner. But in the playoffs for some reason it changes.

Under the current overtime rules the win-loss record for teams that win the coin toss is 86-67-10, per NFL Research. There is an advantage to winning the coin toss, but just at 52.8%. But, and this is an interesting but, if you just look at playoff games, the team that wins the coin flip has won 10 out of 11 games. Seven of those wins came on the first drive and didn’t give the other team a chance.

Reactions: USN_Panther
The first OT could be this...dueling possessions....any TD has to go for two. Second OT...a 10 minute sudden death. The game has to end eventually...

Then you have to go for 2 in the 3rd OT. The game will end eventually. College OT was near perfect until they effed it up by deciding the game on dueling 2 point conversions

My idea is that the team winning the coin flip chooses offense or defense. The team who plays offense must score a TD, with converted PAT. Otherwise they lose. No second possession.

Reactions: TFBaum
If you want to change the rules for a quicker OT just switch to Heidi movie. They will throw all the lawyers out of the room and put in place marketing people.

Put the football at the 50. Both team send their fastest guy from the goal line to the football. Whoever gets it first gets to pick how many minutes they want the OT to be (choice of 10 - 15). Then both kickers arm wrestle to see who gets the ball first. Team that gets the ball first's touchdowns count as 5 and field goals count as 2. Other team's touchdowns count as 6 and field goals count as 3 BUT(!!!) they are only allowed to have nine players on the field for extra point tries.

I have ran the numbers. This is the only way that works.

Put the football at the 50. Both team send their fastest guy from the goal line to the football. Whoever gets it first gets to pick how many minutes they want the OT to be (choice of 10 - 15). Then both kickers arm wrestle to see who gets the ball first. Team that gets the ball first's touchdowns count as 5 and field goals count as 2. Other team's touchdowns count as 6 and field goals count as 3 BUT(!!!) they are only allowed to have nine players on the field for extra point tries.

I have ran the numbers. This is the only way that works.
And I thought my alternative plan to the current OT plan - namely, a contest to see which team’s players had the best looking wives - was better.

Yes! It's like college OT, which is the best. Never ends in a tie, doesn't really last too long IMO, force them to go for 2 every time, no XP kicks, it won't take too long.

College OT is great, fun to watch too, both offense and defense matters, I don't get why people don't want it. Adjust the start back to the 40 or 50 and make 2 point tries mandatory after every TD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT