ADVERTISEMENT

Best comments on S&C program

That reminds. I seem to have missed the annual article that proclaims our s&c in the off season was "our best ever".

My favorite posts, and they happen every year, is those from some posters who look at a few photos and declare our S&C program to be a success and the team looks fit and ready. Then we go out and lose to Youngstown State.

That reminds. I seem to have missed the annual article that proclaims our s&c in the off season was "our best ever".

Narduzzi is keeping it under tight wraps because he doesn't want other teams to know how just well conditioned this team is. There was some buzz on social media about monster truck tires and some former military types being spotted over at the South Side facility, so take it for what its worth. Hoka hey!

It's part of the hope springs eternal i suppose. No doubt it might be great prep but the problem is that every other team is also working out hard or harder (since most other programs stretch the rules, witness Maryland...)

My favorite posts, and they happen every year, is those from some posters who look at a few photos and declare our S&C program to be a success and the team looks fit and ready. Then we go out and lose to Youngstown State.
i'll play along. our DBs do look bigger, in a good way. Ford looks big and makes the normal sized CBs look small in comparison. Even some of the younger freshman CBs don't look skinny.. I am not sure if this is because of our S&C program or if we are just going after bigger DBs.

Zeise, idowu and wirginis all have real good size but that's probably more so because they are all seniors.. Im glad to see McKee is finally over 200lbs.

From Browns OL coach in Hard Knocks.

"World War I and World War II... they did push-ups, jumping jacks, sit-ups... they won two World Wars! You think they were worried when they were running across Normandy about ****ing stretching?"

Strength & Conditioning coaches are the most overrated things in sports. I believe I could get a program off of YouTube, have the guys run and lift and it would result in the exact same number of wins and losses. The amount of excess in college football is getting out of hand. From the team of S&C assistants to nutrition staffs, and Alabama's council of analysts. I guess the money has to be spent somewhere since you cant pay the players. I still would like to see a "Clock Management Coordinator." Head coaches at all levels are worse than fans at it. Honestly.

Strength & Conditioning coaches are the most overrated things in sports. I believe I could get a program off of YouTube, have the guys run and lift and it would result in the exact same number of wins and losses. The amount of excess in college football is getting out of hand. From the team of S&C assistants to nutrition staffs, and Alabama's council of analysts. I guess the money has to be spent somewhere since you cant pay the players. I still would like to see a "Clock Management Coordinator." Head coaches at all levels are worse than fans at it. Honestly.
Heh. Indeed. Crazy to see so many coaches for teams at all levels regularly botch clock management. Or rudimentary ball placement for winning FG angles etc. I'm still cursing Chryst for the latter for multiple games. No, at that level, blaming the rockhead players for "not doing what was coached" isn't legit, either

you laugh but I think nfl has those. didn't the former, disgraced tosu coach get hired on by an nfl team for a little bit for the sole purpose to be a clock management guy?

you laugh but I think nfl has those. didn't the former, disgraced tosu coach get hired on by an nfl team for a little bit for the sole purpose to be a clock management guy?

It is why I said, many of these coaches are....literally dumb jocks. And why I like a "smart guy" to be coach. Bill Belichick went to Wesleyan, not exactly a "dumb jock" school. Chuck Noll was the opposite of a "dumb jock". Wanny wasn't exactly doing differential calculus as a hobby.

Reactions: Jpripper88
It is why I said, many of these coaches are....literally dumb jocks. And why I like a "smart guy" to be coach. Bill Belichick went to Wesleyan, not exactly a "dumb jock" school. Chuck Noll was the opposite of a "dumb jock". Wanny wasn't exactly doing differential calculus as a hobby.
watched a Bio on Chuck Noll, he came off as a very intelligent guy. extremely well rounded in his personal life, never knew that. People would talk to him and he'd always talk about other topics, never football. wine collector, knew art, culture, crap like that.

Reactions: daytonpanther
Definite belly laugh picturing Wanny trying DifEq. Brow furrowed, tongue out licking one side of his moustache, and both hands pulling chunks of hair out.

Last edited:
From Browns OL coach in Hard Knocks.

"World War I and World War II... they did push-ups, jumping jacks, sit-ups... they won two World Wars! You think they were worried when they were running across Normandy about ****ing stretching?"

I'm assuming this was said in jest. Then again, the guy doesn't look like his arms are long enough to do a legitimate push-up.

Reactions: h2p_5150

I don't laugh. I think every team needs one. It doesn't have to be a full time job. Just get an intern, a trainer, or some random fan. Honestly, I can manage the clock the last few minutes better than the majority of head coaches. It just takes rudimentary math skills and the ability to do it rather quickly. Most HCs have too much other stuff going to do that quick math in their head.

I don't laugh. I think every team needs one. It doesn't have to be a full time job. Just get an intern, a trainer, or some random fan. Honestly, I can manage the clock the last few minutes better than the majority of head coaches. It just takes rudimentary math skills and the ability to do it rather quickly. Most HCs have too much other stuff going to do that quick math in their head.
Actually, you just need a chart, which most coaches have. The problem is referencing that chart or the clock guy in time and agreeing.

Reactions: pittdan77
Probably competing voices too (maybe even in the HC own head lol). The nerdy clock/ field position guy might say, "Ok Coach Chryst, signal to have the QB take a knee in the middle of the field" ... but the OC or OL coach (of course, at least one of those was him at the time, so maybe had example) says "Sheeeeet no, Paul, our boys can punch this one in if you run him just one more time off right tackle!"

Sometimes it actually works of course. But we know of / remember the times it backfires!

Strength coach is probably the most important coaching position when you can't recruit.

We were lucky when Buddy was here and even luckier when both he and James were here as a tandem.

I encourage Yinz all to Google the browns o line coach. Talk about needing a conditioning coach....

Definite belly laugh picturing Wanny trying DifEq. Brow furrowed, tongue out licking one side of his moustache, and both hands pulling chunks of hair out.

You'd get the same result you outline above with Walt Harris, Paul Chryst or Pat Narduzzi...just saying. Hail to Pitt!

You mean PROFESSOR David Wannstedt?
Wannstedt+01.jpg

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT