ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Retirement

Converting seems silly -
The whole Point of Roth is to diversify your tax risks along the way .
For those of us who are older, the Roth option in our employer's retirement plan wasn't available during most or all of our working years. Conversions still make sense, as many are able to do rollover at a lower tax rate than when they were working. Going forward all gains are tax free and there are no RMD's.

If you're still working and have a Roth option by all means take it. I contributed significant amounts of after tax dollars to my 401K during my working years but my former company didn't offer a Roth 401K option until after I retired at the end of 2015.

For those of us who are older, the Roth option in our employer's retirement plan wasn't available during most or all of our working years. Conversions still make sense, as many are able to do rollover at a lower tax rate than when they were working. Going forward all gains are tax free and there are no RMD's.

If you're still working and have a Roth option by all means take it. I contributed significant amounts of after tax dollars to my 401K during my working years but my former company didn't offer a Roth 401K option until after I retired at the end of 2015.
Fair enough
Employee option helps make it easier
I’m 44 and started putting about 5% in Roth starting in my early 30s.

Converting seems silly -
The whole Point of Roth is to diversify your tax risks along the way .
No, the whole point of Roth is to take your money tax free if you felt that tax rates would be higher in retirement (which it could) or you wanted to leave a tax free legacy to your children. Why must all of your comments be snide in their manner? I cannot ever recall where you just had an opinion without some level of emotion attached to it.

No, the whole point of Roth is to take your money tax free if you felt that tax rates would be higher in retirement (which it could) or you wanted to leave a tax free legacy to your children. Why must all of your comments be snide in their manner? I cannot ever recall where you just had an opinion without some level of emotion attached to it.
Roth means it’s post tax , ie you already paid taxes on it
It’s purpose is tax diversity in case your “income “ in retirement is taxed at a higher rate than presently

odds are your post retirement will be substantially lower and taxes lower

estate planning takes care is that - more importantly that it’s left to a trust and not a child or spouse - to get best tax advantages
No emotion needed , other than you being defensive about it - upon questioning about your strategy

Fair enough
Employee option helps make it easier
I’m 44 and started putting about 5% in Roth starting in my early 30s.
Well when I was 44 I was puting both of my daughters through college, one at Pitt and one at PSU....both of which had their costs increase by double digits every year they attended

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT