ADVERTISEMENT

Best Italian restaurant in the Pittsburgh area

Had pizza at Mama Lucia’s in Wexford. Great sicilian pizza. Used to get that at original Mama L‘s in Northway Mall. Will go back and try their Italian food.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eastern Eight
I live one town over from where Erculiani’s used to be. In my 30’s and it was closed in my lifetime, but it is still talked about locally and my parents and grandparents said it was phenomenal. It was in the town of Gallitzin right off 22 about 2 hours East of Pittsburgh as you said.

You ever go to the Wine Cellar in Gallitzin??? Love that place..

About Italian restaurants in Pittsburgh, I've had a similar experience. While some places were good, they just couldn't replicate that cozy mama's kitchen vibe. Even when I visited Italy, I found the food to be okay, but it's like searching for a lost treasure, right? Speaking of travels, I once attended a conference at the Western Sydney conference centres nsw, and let me tell you, it was an unexpected treat! While we're on the topic of conference centres, have you explored any around NSW? I've heard they can surprise you just like those hidden gem restaurants.

Tillies is great. Sunset Cafe in Greensburg is excellent
I heard alot of good things about Tillies. I want to compare it to the aforementioned Villa. I want to try it. It is just, especially the way our topography and roads are, unless you are in certain parts of the Pittsburgh metro area, you aren't crossing through the terrain and roads of Afghanistan to get to somewhere else unless you have to.

Reactions: yourhired
Many years ago there was a place in Prince Galitzin that Pittsburghers used to take a 2 hour drive to eat there. Pretty sure it’s long gone. Can’t remember the name— maybe Herculinis (Sp.?). There also was a really good Northern Italian place in Churchill in the 1970s that was superb. Also must be long gone from the Pittsburgh area—like me!
Been there many times. Many years ago. The mother worked at Altoona va hospital with me long gone but the food was great and very expecsive

Going to try Severina in West View tonight. It gets good reviews, so I'm hoping for a nice dinner this evening.
Looked at Severina menu.
Looks like a fancy pizza and sandwich shop that sells espresso, deserts and appetizers rather that a true Italian restaurant.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Looked at Severina menu.
Looks like a fancy pizza and sandwich shop that sells espresso, deserts and appetizers rather that a true Italian restaurant.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong
It’s an interesting place. I thought the same when looking at the online menu. It is a coffee shop cafe in the morning, a pizza/ sandwich shop at lunch and a red sauce restaurant for dinner. I had peppers and sausage over pasta and enjoyed it. It has a little bar with full drink service and a sit down restaurant with a nice patio out front. Old school family run place. They got busy and it caused us to wait for our food, but we didn’t care.

Many years ago there was a place in Prince Galitzin that Pittsburghers used to take a 2 hour drive to eat there. Pretty sure it’s long gone. Can’t remember the name— maybe Herculinis (Sp.?). There also was a really good Northern Italian place in Churchill in the 1970s that was superb. Also must be long gone from the Pittsburgh area—like me!
Erculiani's

It was an event!

Reactions: HOF Coach
It’s an interesting place. I thought the same when looking at the online menu. It is a coffee shop cafe in the morning, a pizza/ sandwich shop at lunch and a red sauce restaurant for dinner. I had peppers and sausage over pasta and enjoyed it. It has a little bar with full drink service and a sit down restaurant with a nice patio out front. Old school family run place. They got busy and it caused us to wait for our food, but we didn’t care.
Thanks.

Your description of the peppers and sausage over pasta has me drooling! Plus, a little bar with full drink service and a patio sounds like the perfect setting. It's always a good sign when a restaurant is busy—it usually means it's worth the wait! If you're ever in the mood for exploring more restaurant recommendations, you might find some great options on mklibrary.com, like this list of the best Sacramento restaurants: https://www.mklibrary.com/best-sacramento-restaurants/

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Luigi’s…I’ve been to the Clymer, PA location but haven’t been to the Dubois one. Classic Italian restaurant feel. Has a home and family atmosphere with excellent food.

Tony is a top shelf guy.. had my rehearsal dinner there and any other special occasion. Absolutely the best beef Wellington and tiramisu..
Beef Wellington in an "Italian" restaurant. Sushi, too? JK

The best ever in Pgh. (I escaped Philly in 1967) was the Tuscan on Wildwood Road. Legit North Italian chow and great folks. Friends since 1974.

The one in Dubois is excellent. Treat you like long lost family.
Got sent home with a loaf of freshly baked bread, on the house! LOL
Yes that one is great. Very cool atmosphere and the food is even better. And yes the owner is incredibly personable. If it’s the same place the brother has one near Indiana, PA?

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Jumped to the end of the thread here…but has anyone mentioned Johnny’s in Wilmerding? Holy cow! I went for the first time 2 weeks back and it was great. Who would ever think that there would be such a place in wilmerding of all places. It’s not a small place by any means, and yeah you’re kinda stepping back into the 80’s with the decor…but the food and hospitality are fantastic. I went at 5pm on a Wednesday and needed a reservation. Again, it’s a fairly large place and they have no problem filling it. What a hidden gold mine.

Yes that one is great. Very cool atmosphere and the food is even better. And yes the owner is incredibly personable. If it’s the same place the brother has one near Indiana, PA?
Yep, Eddie Tate runs the Dubois location. Louie Tate runs the Clymer, PA location - 10 mins outside Indiana, PA

Yep, Eddie Tate runs the Dubois location. Louie Tate runs the Clymer, PA location - 10 mins outside Indiana, PA
In my opinion, this is the exact type of place the OP was looking for. These places are remote, but worth it if anyone finds themselves in those areas.

Reactions: UP_WarStreets21
The best ever in Pgh. (I escaped Philly in 1967) was the Tuscan on Wildwood Road. Legit North Italian chow and great folks. Friends since 1974.

I remember The Tuscan Inn fondly. My wife and I had many romantic dinners and celebrations there in years past. Memories.

Thanks for the recommendation for Severina. I've been meaning to try that one. We used to frequent Bella Frutetto in Franklin Park every week. That was our favorite Italian restaurant for a long, long time. But now they're just a take-out and catering service and are now in the old Bruster's location next to Soergels.

Arlechinno in Upper St. Clair is very good, but pricey. Service is second to none and food is large portions and very tasty. It's part of the Ala Familia family of restaurants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT