ADVERTISEMENT

Best Panther shooters of all time

Ramon's numbers are superior to Maile, and Aiken in his single year (shot 39% from three as a senior but really started to struggle as the year went on).

I watched Clyde very much during his days at Pitt and while he could hit deep shots, he also missed lots of deep shots too.

But as I mentioned in my reply, I can't comment on Harris and Billy Knight. And I also have a hard time judging how good three point shooters would have been prior to the three point line. It's not quite apples to apples.
I believe if the 3p line existed Aiken's junior year, he would have been north of 45%. Like you said, he *slumped* his senior year, and shot 39% from three.

My eyeballs in 1986 saw a 45%+ three-point shooter in Aiken.

Ramon's numbers are superior to Maile, and Aiken in his single year (shot 39% from three as a senior but really started to struggle as the year went on).

I watched Clyde very much during his days at Pitt and while he could hit deep shots, he also missed lots of deep shots too.

But as I mentioned in my reply, I can't comment on Harris and Billy Knight. And I also have a hard time judging how good three point shooters would have been prior to the three point line. It's not quite apples to apples.
Larry Harris was as smooth as it gets , I forgot about him . No one was as smooth as BK , but Larry Harris was close second and a more versatile player than Jason Mathews so I rate him second then Mathews .

I think in a 3 Pt shooting contest Elliot could hang with those guys , but not during the games .

Reactions: 303vND
Sotoris "The Mediterranean Sharp Shooter" Aggelou is who all other pitt basketball players measure themselves against..

im a big Hinson fan but i dont think i've ever seen a basketball player at pitt shoot as much as him. My man has the green light of all green lights..

I'm shocked his % is even as high as it is. I think my perceptions are skewed by the fact that some of them just miss by so much, lol.

Jared Wilson-Frame was a gunslinger. I'd say he and Hinson are similar, although there were way less options for Wilson-Frame.

Reactions: rockypanther
90% of Aiken's career points came from outside 20 feet.

(Yes, hyperbole.... but he would be the all-time Pitt leading scorer if the 3-point line existed for his whole career.)

This **MAY** be true, but like I said, I think it's hard to judge deep shooters before and after the three point line.

Yes, Curtis hit plenty on bombs during his junior year (especially) when he averaged 13 PPG. Some estimated that Curtis would average 18 PPG his senior year when he ended up averaging 14 PPG.

But as his senior year went on, he really started to have a tough time getting his shot off and was often much of a non factor down the stretch.

In his last 10 games as a senior, Curtis shot just 3-14 from three while averaging just 5.5 points per game during that time.

Where would you rank Elliott on that list? I saw this posted on on Twitter and they had him listed as the best Panther shooter ever. Thought this was absurd because of course he’s only played one year for the Panthers and who cares about what he did for Marquette. But this season with the sheer volume and percentage should put him at worst comfortably in the top 10.

Game on the line, I’m taking Ronald Ramon. His top season when he was playing mostly off the ball was just as good as Elliott’s year this year. It was when he forced to play mostly point his senior year his 3P percentage suffered. Plus his shot looked perfect form wise and always looked like it was going down. I can’t really do a top 5 because I only go back to Maile and Antigua days. Can someone with eyes that proceed mine give me their top 5?
Not close. Gibbs than Matthews. Then a bit of a gap. And Mathew’s did it for all 4 seasons. They both shot over 49 percent. Elliot us at about 42 percent right now.

Reactions: PittPoker
I believe if the 3p line existed Aiken's junior year, he would have been north of 45%. Like you said, he *slumped* his senior year, and shot 39% from three.

My eyeballs in 1986 saw a 45%+ three-point shooter in Aiken.

Sure ... but my point is that when there wasn't a three point shot, defenders would not emphasize guarding shooters shooting from 20 feet quite as much. Once that shot was worth an extra point and teams figured out how to defend it as the 86-87 went on, guys like Aiken really started to struggle.

Again, in his last 10 games of his senior year, Curtis only SHOT 14 threes.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think Gibbs is the best all time. Sr was bad but he was forced to play the point. Gibbs as a junior was unbelievable.

Sure ... but my point is that when there wasn't a three point shot, defenders would not emphasize guarding shooters shooting from 20 feet quite as much. Once that shot was worth an extra point and teams figured out how to defend it as the 86-87 went on, guys like Aiken really started to struggle.

Again, in his last 10 games of his senior year, Curtis only SHOT 14 threes.
Yeah, to a large extent, some of this is unmeasurable and unknowable.

How many more points would Michael Jordan have had in college if the 3-point line existed? He probably would've been a 45% 3p shooter and averaged 27-28 points per game instead of 19-20.

Game on the line? Give me the Blue Pirate Slayer, Garrick freaking Thomas.
He’s the one Pitt player that had the range on his jumper out to where Hinson regularly shoots them from. Like many long range bombers, Garrick was streaky. But when he was on, he was hard to stop.

I remember one game in particular vs Georgetown at the Igloo when he destroyed the Hoyas with some real deep ones.

What was also cool was they re-seated us for the games at the Civic Arena, so we sat next to different people than our regular season ticket seats at the FFH. And the guy who sat right next to to me for the Civic Arena games? Dr. Thomas Starzl! He was a really nice guy and LOVED his Pitt basketball.

Reactions: UPitt '89
I’m giving the ball to Levance Fields if I need a 3.
Wasn't his strength. But he seemed to hit important ones.

He was only a 34.6% 3-point shooter. I think everyone just remembers the step-back against Duke.

He was only a 34.6% 3-point shooter. I think everyone just remembers the step-back against Duke.
How about during Pitt’s run to the Elite 8? Fields hit big 3s against Xavier and OK State.

Reactions: FireballZ
Any thread on Pitt shooters, I have to throw in this name from my era at Pitt…….Kent Scott!

Go Pitt.

Yeah, to a large extent, some of this is unmeasurable and unknowable.

How many more points would Michael Jordan have had in college if the 3-point line existed? He probably would've been a 45% 3p shooter and averaged 27-28 points per game instead of 19-20.
Imagine what kind of numbers Pete Maravich would have put up.

I remember many more. OK State as a soph in the final seconds to tie, two of them at UConn in 2009, OK State in the tournament, Xavier. In OT against VCU. There were others. Back in the day, I was going to take a look at Field's 3pt % in the last 4 minutes of games to learn if it was indeed statistically significantly higher as it seems like it would be.

I remember many more. OK State as a soph in the final seconds to tie, two of them at UConn in 2009, OK State in the tournament, Xavier. In OT against VCU. There were others. Back in the day, I was going to take a look at Field's 3pt % in the last 4 minutes of games to learn if it was indeed statistically significantly higher as it seems like it would be.
Didn't he make the big shot against Duke at MSG, too?

I think Gibbs is the best all time. Sr was bad but he was forced to play the point. Gibbs as a junior was unbelievable.
Hinson and Gibbs and Junior years are about even at 3s taken this year.
Gibbs playing way more minutes and hitting at 49%.
I think his percentages from 5 ft behind the line or closely guarded might be better than inches behind the line and wide open.
That's why they told Dame he can shoot from half court because the #s say he can

Blake Hinson I feel is in the top 10 with the year he has had. He has just been absolute money at times draining 3 pointers at such key moments in a lot of these wins. You can’t overlook how good and how clutch he has been shooting the 3 ball this year. If he shoots like this in the NCCA Tournament along with a guy like Elliott this team can definitely go to the sweet 16 and beyond.

Reactions: Drew1208
“Send it in Jerome” is the most iconic play, but I’d argue that Fields 3-pointer against Xavier is the most important shot in program history from a situational standpoint.

If there was a 3 pt line Clyde Vaughn would have averaged 30pts. Just a great great shooter.

Pitt82

Where would you rank Elliott on that list? I saw this posted on on Twitter and they had him listed as the best Panther shooter ever. Thought this was absurd because of course he’s only played one year for the Panthers and who cares about what he did for Marquette. But this season with the sheer volume and percentage should put him at worst comfortably in the top 10.

Game on the line, I’m taking Ronald Ramon. His top season when he was playing mostly off the ball was just as good as Elliott’s year this year. It was when he forced to play mostly point his senior year his 3P percentage suffered. Plus his shot looked perfect form wise and always looked like it was going down. I can’t really do a top 5 because I only go back to Maile and Antigua days. Can someone with eyes that proceed mine give me their top 5?

Ithiel Horton

Reactions: HOF Coach
Not close. Gibbs than Matthews. Then a bit of a gap. And Mathew’s did it for all 4 seasons. They both shot over 49 percent. Elliot us at about 42 percent right now.
In what statistical universe was Gibbs a better shooter than Matthews?

I mean they were both excellent shooters, but Matthews more so-not to mention he had the best looking jump shot in Pitt history. He was silky smooth.

Reactions: pittguy81
I sat in the zoo early before a pitt game Ashton’s JR year and watched him warm up.

He hit 48/50 from deep

I’ll never forget that

Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT