ADVERTISEMENT

Best Panther shooters of all time

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Where would you rank Elliott on that list? I saw this posted on on Twitter and they had him listed as the best Panther shooter ever. Thought this was absurd because of course he’s only played one year for the Panthers and who cares about what he did for Marquette. But this season with the sheer volume and percentage should put him at worst comfortably in the top 10.

Game on the line, I’m taking Ronald Ramon. His top season when he was playing mostly off the ball was just as good as Elliott’s year this year. It was when he forced to play mostly point his senior year his 3P percentage suffered. Plus his shot looked perfect form wise and always looked like it was going down. I can’t really do a top 5 because I only go back to Maile and Antigua days. Can someone with eyes that proceed mine give me their top 5?

Where would you rank Elliott on that list? I saw this posted on on Twitter and they had him listed as the best Panther shooter ever. Thought this was absurd because of course he’s only played one year for the Panthers and who cares about what he did for Marquette. But this season with the sheer volume and percentage should put him at worst comfortably in the top 10.

Game on the line, I’m taking Ronald Ramon. His top season when he was playing mostly off the ball was just as good as Elliott’s year this year. It was when he forced to play mostly point his senior year his 3P percentage suffered. Plus his shot looked perfect form wise and always looked like it was going down. I can’t really do a top 5 because I only go back to Maile and Antigua days. Can someone with eyes that proceed mine give me their top 5?

If you dont count their tenure at Pitt as a qualifier, I go:

1. Matthews
2. Gibbs
3. Ramon
4. Elliott
5. Miller

As someone who is only familiar with Pitt from 2008 onwards, I think it's Gibbs and then easily Elliott second.

If you dont count their tenure at Pitt as a qualifier, I go:

1. Matthews
2. Gibbs
3. Ramon
4. Elliott
5. Miller
Well yeah, if we get some white shooter from Wofford next year who shot 47 percent in the southern conference but shoots 35 percent here, I’m not gonna consider him a great shooter for the Panthers.

Of course that’s not the case with Elliot. He’s had an elite shooting season which is why he’d be in my top 5.

Reactions: Drew1208
Probably a guy like Ramon off the top of my head. Specifically thinking of his buzzer beater against Miami. But those teams ever only had one or two guys who were legitimate threats from outside. It is so much more fun to watch a team with several good shooters. And makes us a more dangerous tournament team as well

But probably Gibbs for best shooter that I've seen (also began following in the early 90's). Dude was a sharpshooter and a half. I had no idea he was 49% one year until just now. His follow through hand was great, even if his shot didn't seem like it had a ton of arc at times. He should also be mentioned as position destroying his %. He had about as much business playing the point as Shamiel Stevenson did at the 5 at times.

Last edited:
Billy Knight
22.2 ppg over 78 games (while facing double teams and before the 3-point line was instituted)

Averaged over 20 ppg in each of his 3 seasons as a Panther (Freshmen weren't eligible back then)

52% from the field over 3 years

Smooth as silk with an assassin's attitude

After scoring 37 against one of the great UCLA teams, legendary coach John Wooden walked across the court to shake Billy's hand. It has been said that he never did that for any other opponent in his coaching career.

Billy Knight
22.2 ppg over 78 games (while facing double teams and before the 3-point line was instituted)

Averaged over 20 ppg in each of his 3 seasons as a Panther (Freshmen weren't eligible back then)

After scoring 37 against one of the great UCLA teams, legendary coach John Wooden walked across the court to shake Billy's hand. It has been said that he never did that for any other opponent in his coaching career.
Good one. I was going to mention Knight in addition to Clyde Vaughn

Reactions: Pitt5593

1. Matthews
2. Matthews
3. Matthews
4. Matthews
5. Gibbs

Reactions: rockypanther
Larry Harris and Billy Knight have to be at the top of that list - they were the best pure shooters I've seen - and they had to do it off the bounce not spotting up. They also had the ability to take it to the rack and posterize folks!
Another good choice. Larry scored over 1,900 points as a Panther, while shooting over 50% during his 4 year Pitt career.

I can't answer this as I haven't seen everyone of the older guys I've seen.
I always hear
Jason Matthews and I'm seeing people add other names from the past I've never seen.

Gibbs would be 1 for me. He had that robot wrist.

Alot of comparisons with numbers get weird to analyze because the line has been moved back a couple times.

Eliots release is a fast motion.
But I'm not sure if he's even the best on this team.
Blake's degrees of difficulty on his are so crazy.

First off, I assume we are basically talking about 3 point shooters in this thread.

With, this I would have to agree completely with those who have said the list is:

1) Matthews
2) Gibbs

and then everyone else ...

Having said this, my watching starts with 80-81 season. Plenty of folks from before then will tell you that Billy Knight and (especially) Larry Harris would have feasted on the three point line.

I think the rest of my top five would include Ronald Ramon and Rod Brookin.

The fifth guy is tough to call. In the mix would be Sean Miller, Lamar Patterson, Greg Elliott, Jason Maile, Cam Johnson and Donatas Zavackas, Blake Hinson would get a nod here too because he shoots from deeper than everyone I just mentioned.

Billy Knight

BK not only the best shooter , but also the best player . Jason Mathews is easily second . Elliot misses too many wide open looks so he’s definitely behind Gibbs and Ramon .

Reactions: 303vND
Another good choice. Larry scored over 1,900 points as a Panther, while shooting over 50% during his 4 year Pitt career.
Coach...they were sharp shooter assassins. Still remember Scooch hitting a long corner jumper at the buzzer to beat Cincinnati at Fitzgerald - and that's when the Bearcats were a powerhouse.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Ramon was a great shooter.

He is not in Pitt's Top 5 all time. Not close.

Coach...they were sharp shooter assassins. Still remember Scooch hitting a long corner jumper at the buzzer to beat Cincinnati at Fitzgerald - and that's when the Bearcats were a powerhouse.
Scooch loved that corner shot!

Reactions: 303vND
I can't answer this as I haven't seen everyone of the older guys I've seen.
I always hear
Jason Matthews and I'm seeing people add other names from the past I've never seen.

Gibbs would be 1 for me. He had that robot wrist.

Alot of comparisons with numbers get weird to analyze because the line has been moved back a couple times.

Eliots release is a fast motion.
But I'm not sure if he's even the best on this team.
Blake's degrees of difficulty on his are so crazy.

10 years from now after they implement a 4 Point Line...we will all be talking about how Blake Hinson would have been the greatest 4pt shooter in Pitt history if they had that line back when he played...

• Haha
Reactions: Drew1208
10 years from now after they implement a 4 Point Line...we will all be talking about how Blake Hinson would have been the greatest 4pt shooter in Pitt history if they had that line back when he played...
HILLGROVE: "From the logo, Blake Hinson with another 4!"

What makes you say so?

His three point shooting % numbers make a good case that he is.
Larry Harris
Billy Knight
Jason Matthews
Ashton Gibbs
Curtis Aiken
Clyde Vaughn
Jason Maile

4 of those didn't have the 3-point line available to them... but would've been 40%+ 3-point shooters if it was there.

Reactions: 303vND and latz66
Sotoris "The Mediterranean Sharp Shooter" Aggelou is who all other pitt basketball players measure themselves against..

im a big Hinson fan but i dont think i've ever seen a basketball player at pitt shoot as much as him. My man has the green light of all green lights..

Larry Harris
Billy Knight
Jason Matthews
Ashton Gibbs
Curtis Aiken
Clyde Vaughn
Jason Maile

4 of those didn't have the 3-point line available to them... but would've been 40%+ 3-point shooters if it was there.
Ramon's numbers are superior to Maile, and Aiken in his single year (shot 39% from three as a senior but really started to struggle as the year went on).

I watched Clyde very much during his days at Pitt and while he could hit deep shots, he also missed lots of deep shots too.

But as I mentioned in my reply, I can't comment on Harris and Billy Knight. And I also have a hard time judging how good three point shooters would have been prior to the three point line. It's not quite apples to apples.

Ramon's numbers are superior to Maile, and Aiken in his single year (shot 39% from three as a senior but really started to struggle as the year went on).

I watched Clyde very much during his days at Pitt and while he could hit deep shots, he also missed lots of deep shots too.

But as I mentioned in my reply, I can't comment on Harris and Billy Knight. And I also have a hard time judging how good three point shooters would have been prior to the three point line. It's not quite apples to apples.
90% of Aiken's career points came from outside 20 feet.

Larry Harris
Billy Knight
Jason Matthews
Ashton Gibbs
Curtis Aiken
Clyde Vaughn
Jason Maile

Yeah, that's what makes it a little bit tough to assess. Gibbs was immediately the first guy that came to my mind. Then I thought of Matthews. But the 3-point line was obviously closer then.

A couple of mentions. Jared Wilson-Frame was really good in his senior season. Shot almost 40% from 3 that year. And Jamel Artis was almost 38% for his career. Both were very good shooters.

Mathews
Gibbs
Ramon
Ramon was a great shooter.

He is not in Pitt's Top 5 all time. Not close.
Really?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT