ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 vs Pac 12: who survives

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
It depends on IF there's a next move. For the sake of this post, lets assume the SEC, ACC, and B10 are done expanding for now. Then;

The Pac 12, being down to 10 teams, adds:

- San Diego State - need a SoCal team, they have a new stadium and its one of the largest media markets without an NFL team. Great opportunity.

- Oklahoma State

- Texas Tech

- Baylor/TCU - neither bring the Dallas market but adding 2 of them in the general area plus OKSt and TT alums gives you a presence in Dallas.

- UNLV - great market, Allegiant Stadium

Big 12, down to 10 add:

USF
Memphis
Texas-San Antonio
SMU

if 2 more: Colorado State, Boise State

It depends on IF there's a next move. For the sake of this post, lets assume the SEC, ACC, and B10 are done expanding for now. Then;

The Pac 12, being down to 10 teams, adds:

- San Diego State - need a SoCal team, they have a new stadium and its one of the largest media markets without an NFL team. Great opportunity.

- Oklahoma State

- Texas Tech

- Baylor/TCU - neither bring the Dallas market but adding 2 of them in the general area plus OKSt and TT alums gives you a presence in Dallas.

- UNLV - great market, Allegiant Stadium

Big 12, down to 10 add:

USF
Memphis
Texas-San Antonio
SMU

if 2 more: Colorado State, Boise State
I’d choose the PAC 12 over the Big 12 surviving a head to head match. There could be 4 major conferences standing come 2024.

Reactions: singregardless
I think the Pac will just pick off two teams from the Big 12 and Oregon reigns supreme and in the playoffs often.

Oregon and Wash applied to big 10. Decision coming tonight.
You don't "apply" to conferences. If the Big Ten and SEC want you, they call you and tell you you're in. You dont "apply." The Big Ten secretary isn't going to get the Oregon application tomorrow and tell her boss, "hey, Oregon just applied, should we schedule an interview?"

Reactions: BreakingPitt
You don't "apply" to conferences. If the Big Ten and SEC want you, they call you and tell you you're in. You dont "apply." The Big Ten secretary isn't going to get the Oregon application tomorrow and tell her boss, "hey, Oregon just applied, should we schedule an interview?"
Their application is being reviewed and there could be a decision tonight.

I saw that reported, but is it accurate? We're not talking about some 17-year-old pothead applying for a job a Radio Shack. I would think they might want more time to mull this over. Not sure it works this way.
Yes, I get that there is contact from both sides. They use application, I don’t get it either.

Regardless, if the reports are correct, it’s being reviewed and decided on shortly.

Who knows if it’s accurate. We will find out either way.

Both. Acc gets left behind.
Nah pac 12 is in the worst spot. Likely to lose Oregon and Washington as well. I could see the b12 adding AZ and AZ st along with Utah and cal/Stanford. If the sec and big 10 stop at 20 there is enough left for two solid conferences east and west. Maybe 10 teams each that work together would be ok.

Their application is being reviewed and there could be a decision tonight.
You have to be joking. You dont seriously apply to join conferences. Thr Big Ten met diligently about USC and UCLA. You don't think they ever once thought about other Pac 12 teams? You think an application they sent in made the Big Ten think "wow guys, Oregon and Wash applied. I had no idea they'd be interested. We better discuss this.:

You have to be joking. You dont seriously apply to join conferences. Thr Big Ten met diligently about USC and UCLA. You don't think they ever once thought about other Pac 12 teams? You think an application they sent in made the Big Ten think "wow guys, Oregon and Wash applied. I had no idea they'd be interested. We better discuss this.:

"Says here Washington spent three years in a supervisory position, and the company showed steady growth during that time. Hmmmmmmm."

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
What did I miss?
Oregon and Washington are remaining in the PAC and are going to galvanize the rest of its conference mates and introduce their alumni/fans of Olympic sports to a sport that none of them have ever watched.

It involves an oblong “ball” that spirals and involves pushing the offensive player out of bounds…..but NO tackling.

I’ll go with the Big XII. Their leadership appears to at least be somewhat proactive. I could see them going hard after several PAC members.

Oregon and Washington are remaining in the PAC and are going to galvanize the rest of its conference mates and introduce their alumni/fans of Olympic sports to a sport that none of them have ever watched.

It involves an oblong “ball” that spirals and involves pushing the offensive player out of bounds…..but NO tackling.
If one was to form a new conference, choosing only teams from the current P12 and B12 based on TV market and football potential/history/tradition, these are the picks

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Colorado
4. Arizona
5. Cal
6. Oklahoma State
7. Texas Tech
8. Baylor
9. TCU
10. BYU
11. Kansas
12. UCF
13. Cincinnati
14. WVU
15. Stanford
16. Arizona State
17. Iowa State
18. Kansas State
19. Oregon State
20. Washington State

If one was to form a new conference, choosing only teams from the current P12 and B12 based on TV market and football potential/history/tradition, these are the picks

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Colorado
4. Arizona
5. Cal
6. Oklahoma State
7. Texas Tech
8. Baylor
9. TCU
10. BYU
11. Kansas
12. UCF
13. Cincinnati
14. WVU
15. Stanford
16. Arizona State
17. Iowa State
18. Kansas State
19. Oregon State
20. Washington State
No need to take out your frustrations on me, Sparky.

Also, be honest. Where would Pitt, Syracuse and BC rank on your list?

Also, I thought it was cute that you doubled down by stating which conference is going to be in the most trouble without mentioning your beloved ACC.

Last edited:
No need to take out your frustrations on me, Sparky.

Also, be honest. Where would Pitt, Syracuse and BC rank on your list?

Also, I thought it was cute that you doubled down by stating which conference is going to be in the most trouble without mentioning your beloved ACC.
The ACC is a very clear #3. The ACC may die but only after the Pac 12 and New Big East (aka Big 12). Either the Pac 12 or Big 12 will be dead by the end of summer. Oregon and Washington are either choosing the more stable ACC or staying in the Pac 12.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The ACC is a very clear #3. The ACC may die but only after the Pac 12 and New Big East (aka Big 12). Either the Pac 12 or Big 12 will be dead by the end of summer. Oregon and Washington are either choosing the more stable ACC or staying in the Pac 12.
We shall see.

Big XII has a TV rights window opening coming up. ACC doesn’t.

Just saying.

I also know that you know that there are lots of moves yet to be made.

Nothing. He saw a tweet that Oregon and Washington emailed an application to the Big Ten.
Stop being a douche bag. You know that’s the lingo they use. “Application”. We all know what it means.

Saw it in about 40 tweets today alone.

What don't you get? You don't apply. The Big Ten didn't want them. They weren't waiting on an application
Yes, we all know it’s an on going communication. We get it. Your issue of the usage of the word “application” is a strange hill to die on but address it to all of the media members using it, not me.

I’m sure Pete Thamel is dying to hear your thoughts on the subject.

What?

Yes, we all know it’s an on going communication. We get it. Your issue of the usage of the word “application” is a strange hill to die on but address it to all of the media members using it, not me.
Its not just that. The Big Ten didn't pick them. Their process is over. They aren't revisiting expansion now simply because Oregon and Washington said they want to come. Its a stupid tweet. You should know better

Saw this posted elsewhere. The Big 10 had to do this with their TV deal coming up and also today was the last day a Pac12 team could notify the conference of their departure since the Pac12 contract expires June 30th 2024. Anyone else still on the conference after today pays a price much more than what SC and UCLA will pay so I’m doubting another Pac12 team joins unless they are ok with paying more but to keep pace with the SEC, expanding the conference had to be done. I don’t know who else they go after but who knows how this plays out.

Its not just that. The Big Ten didn't pick them. Their process is over. They aren't revisiting expansion now simply because Oregon and Washington said they want to come. Its a stupid tweet. You should know better
So you think the big 10 is done for now? Many disagree. We will see who is right.

I have no clue how this plays out. Unlike everyone else on this board who thinks they know all the answers.

…thinking that college football will have East and West super conferences(football only). It‘s basically semi-pro now with the NIL. The non-revenue sports will have retain traditional regional conferences to function. Can you imagine the Rutgers baseball coach telling the team to pack up the vans for a 2-3 day drive out to LA, to play UCLA and USC for consecutive weekend series and 2-3 days back? The transportation costs for the non-revenue (Olympic)…just doesn’t make sense. guessing there will be many programs cut.

Reactions: Farnox
The Big 12 is total shit. Oregon and Washington aren't picking a league with Texas leftovers and rural Red State schools over the ACC.
Why would schools like Wash and Oregon want to travel to places like Florida, MULTIPLE TIMES? That's even more ridiculous than USC and UCLA going to the Big 10. That's an enormous difference because you cannot forget about Olympic sports and all their travel. The money would be more but in the long run, how much would it really be worth it? This TV money is not unlimited. It will bottom out at some point.

The Big 12 with some Pac 12 teams added or an all out alliance is a solid conference with a lot more money and way less travel than going all the way to the east coast for nearly every freakin game and sport they will be playing in the ACC. Yes, it could happen but don't act like it's a slam dunk because it's something that will make them seriously pause and think about. Way too much expense and wear and tear travel for those west coast teams.

Why would schools like Wash and Oregon want to travel to places like Florida, MULTIPLE TIMES? That's even more ridiculous than USC and UCLA going to the Big 10. That's an enormous difference because you cannot forget about Olympic sports and all their travel. The money would be more but in the long run, how much would it really be worth it? This TV money is not unlimited. It will bottom out at some point.

The Big 12 with some Pac 12 teams added or an all out alliance is a solid conference with a lot more money and way less travel than going all the way to the east coast for nearly every freakin game and sport they will be playing in the ACC. Yes, it could happen but don't act like it's a slam dunk because it's something that will make them seriously pause and think about. Way too much expense and wear and tear travel for those west coast teams.
Because the ACC would scoop up the best Pac 12 schools and Big 12 schools to maintain status as the 3rd best conference.

Washington and Oregon aren't flying to Iowa, Cincinnati, Morgantown, etc. If they're going to spend multiple hours on a plane, it will be to go to Miami, FSU, NC, etc. It takes an extra 2 hours to fly from Portland to Miami than from Portland to Dallas. Those schools arent picking the Big 12 over the ACC to save 2 hours on a few flights. That's insane.

Because the ACC would scoop up the best Pac 12 schools and Big 12 schools to maintain status as the 3rd best conference.
I'm not arguing on what the ACC would or would not do, I'm talking about those west coast schools and what they would do, as far as practicality.

The ACC is going to have its top programs picked apart by the SEC and B10. That leaves The ACC remainders scrambling. I wouldn’t want to be Pitt.

when the picking is done I’m guessing the ACC won’t be #3. Clemson? Gone. FSU? Gone. Probably a couple others . What does that leave?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT