ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest series ever for Pitt this weekend

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pitt has not made the NCAA Tournament since 1995 and with 2/3 of the season done, we are right there on that "Last 4 In/First 4 Out" line after getting a much-needed, hard-fought 3 game sweep over MAC West-leading Miami (Ohio). Truthfully Pitt isn't much better than the Redhawks as evidenced by 2 come-from-behind 1 run wins but it doesn't matter. We got the Ws and have the benefit of a crazy high RPI thanks to the crazy good ACC.

Defending National Champ UVa comes in this weekend after taking 2 of 3 vs #1 Miami. Pitt is only 2 games behind UVa and if we can take 2 of 3 this weekend, that'll really help our NCAA chances. I figure Pitt needs to go 11-6 the rest of the way, so we really have to win at least 1 to stay within shouting distance. A sweep would be pretty devastating.

its Finals Week so no games this week and the first UVa game is at 4PM (part of a twinight DH) after Commencement. I'm guessing there will be Pitt players who will participate in Commencement then walk a few blocks over to play Virginia.

The game times for Saturday have been changed. The doubleheader was originally supposed to start at 3:00 (not 4:00), but it has now been moved up to 1:00.

Additionally, Commencement is NOT on Saturday (it never is), it is on Sunday. It starts at 2:00. The baseball game on Sunday starts at 1:00. So no one will be participating in Commencement and then walking over to the baseball game, unless they want to miss pretty much the whole game.

Reactions: California Panther
The game times for Saturday have been changed. The doubleheader was originally supposed to start at 3:00 (not 4:00), but it has now been moved up to 1:00.

Additionally, Commencement is NOT on Saturday (it never is), it is on Sunday. It starts at 2:00. The baseball game on Sunday starts at 1:00. So no one will be participating in Commencement and then walking over to the baseball game, unless they want to miss pretty much the whole game.
Adding to your corrections to the OP, I'll add that Miami leads the MAC East (not West) and Pitt is only 1 game behind UVA, not 2.

Baseball America has Pitt as the 5th team out. College Sports Madness have 11 ACC teams making it but dont even have Pitt as the first 8 teams out.

Really need 2 out of 3 this weekend.

One thing is certain, if our RPI ends up at 33 (which I think it is now) we're getting in. Period. There's obviously a long way to go (I think 17 games) in the season so who knows what it'll end up at, but there's zero chance we wouldn't get in if we finish with an RPI that high.

One thing is certain, if our RPI ends up at 33 (which I think it is now) we're getting in. Period. There's obviously a long way to go (I think 17 games) in the season so who knows what it'll end up at, but there's zero chance we wouldn't get in if we finish with an RPI that high.

Last year North Carolina ended the season with an RPI of 30 and a record of 34-24 and they did not make the NCAA tournament. In 2014 the Hoopies had an RPI of 38 and a record of 28-26 and they did not make the NCAA tournament. In 2013 Nebraska managed an RPI of 31 with a 29-30 record and didn't make the NCAA tournament. Notre Dame had an RPI of 34 and a record of 34-24 and did not make the NCAA tournament. In 2012 Maryland had an RPI of 33 and a record of 32-24 and did not make the NCAA tournament. Wake Forest had an RPI of 35 and a record of 33-24 and did not make the NCAA tournament. Virginia Tech had an RPI of 37 and a record of 34-21 and did not make the NCAA tournament. Teams in the mid-30s miss the NCAA tournament pretty much every year.

Reactions: Pitt MD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT