ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest three pointers in Pitt Hoops history ...

I do remember that Clemson game and Newkirk reacted as though he didn’t get the shot off. It was about as close as that muffed punt last night by Edelman. Even replay couldn’t really tell. They huddled up and then brought both coaches to the scorers table and told them they were headed to OT.

Am I way off on the Miami game? Someone, I swear, hit a late jumper from the near corner. Maybe it was JRob? Could it have been the Patterson 25pt game?

I don't recall that specific shot ... only that it wasn't Newkirk.

First I just wanted to give you a "Bravo" on your list. That is some amazing work.

I would like to add two to the honorable mention list and two of my favorites:

1. January 22, 2005. Chevy hits a three from the corner at Gampel Pavilion to give Pitt the lead for good after trailing by 17 points in the first ESPN College Basketball gameday game at UConn.

2. January 29, 2007. Antonio Graves nails at three point from the wing with Pitt up one with 1:46 to ice the game and complete a 9 point come back against Villanova at the sold out Wachovia Center.

I love any mention of Chevy's second half in UConn in 2005. All things considered, that had to be the greatest one half performance in Pitt history.

Not long ago, after Trey's 20 first half performance against the Cards, someone asked what the Pitt record was for most points in a half. The answer was Jamel's 32 points in the second half against Louisville.

Also noteworthy were Demetrius Gore's 28 against Wisconsin and Jason Maile's 28 against Villanova.

Still, I'd have to put Chevy's 25 points in that second half above any of them.

Also, I remember that game with Antonio against Villanova. It was on a "Big Monday" and Jay Bilas was completely amazed with how well Antonio was playing. Don't forget too, that Levance hit a big three right after Antonio's that may have really iced the game.

One of these days, I should figure out Levance's 3pt% after the final TV timeout in games.

Reactions: Pitt MD
I agree with your top 5. Awesome post so thanks for doing this.

That Glover kid was great against Georgia. I am glad you had him ranked high on your list. Too bad he transferred
Kid got screwed big time, playing behind Omo Moses and Ghandi Jordan.

... there have been several nostalgia threads lately, including the threads about best "eras" in Pitt Hoops and the loudest moment at the Pete.

In these threads I noticed that so many of the items mentioned included memorable three point shots.

The three point shot started in College Basketball with the 1986-1987 season, meaning this is the 33rd season with the three point shot.Therefore, I decided to give it a go selecting the "biggest" 33 three point shots in Pitt Hoops history.

By biggest, I mean most memorable, important, meaningful or even most cluch. After putting the list together, I realized it was heavily waited to more recent years. Much of this has to do with memory of course, and perhaps much also has to do with the bigger and more important games played over the last 18 years or so. But it should also be noted that it also has a great deal to do with the growing importance of the three point shot in the game.

Please feel free to offer disagreements and a few of your own that I'm sure I missed.

33. Trey MCGowens – Louisville – 2019 – Trey ends an incredible half with a three to give him a total of 20 points.

32. Jason Matthews – Providence – 1988 – Jason’s second consecutive three in the final two minutes of the game gives the Panthers a one point road win.

31. Jamel Artis – Syracuse – 2015 – Jamel’s three with a minute to go pushes the lead to five on the way to the Panther victory at the Pete.

30. Cameron Johnson – Syracuse – 2016 – Cam’s fourth three in the ACC Tourney game pushes the Panther lead to 10 resulting in an NCAA tournament berth clinching victory.

29. Sheldon Jeter – Virginia – 2017 – Sheldon’s second straight three in OT gives the Panthers a six point lead on the way to a huge upset of Virginia.

28. Curtis Aiken – Illinois – 1986 – In the first big “three point performance” in the first year of three point shot, Curtis’ last of five threes cuts the Illini lead to two in the final minutes. On the radio, Billy Hillgrove said it came from “5th and Bouquet.”

27. Xavier Johnson – Louisville -- 2019 – X answers an OT opening three by the Cards with one of his own and the Panthers take it from there to end the 23 game conference losing streak.

26. James Robinson – Virginia Tech – 2014 – With 40 seconds to go, James’s three plus a foul erases a four point Hookie lead sending the game into OT and the eventual win.

25. Carl Krauser – Syracuse – 2005 – Carl’s three in the final minute in the Dome was “Onions!”

24. Ron Ramon – Georgetown – 2008 – Maybe this shot isn’t quite the magnitude of some of the others. But I love to image of Ron flicking his wrist after a big three down the stretch of the Big East Tournament victory.

23. Brandin Knight – Uconn – 2003 – Another shot that doesn’t quite have the same magnitude as others, but I love the image of Brandin’s three near the start of the game symbolizing he was healthy and ready to lead the Panthers to their first Big East Tournament Title.

22. Jason Maile – Villanova – 1997 – Since Jason hit 8 threes during his incredible 40 point outburst, even if one particular one does not stand out, I’m sure one of them could.

21. Lamar Patterson – Marquette – 2103 – Lamar drains a three off an inbounds play to tie the game and sent it into OT.

20. Levance Fields – OK State – 2006 – The Panthers were down four when Mike Cook hit the first of two foul shots, missed the second, Aaron Gray got the rebound and fired to Levance who hit the three to send the game into a second OT.

19. Rod Brookin – Boston College – 1987 – Rod sinks a buzzer beater three from the corner in the first OT allowing the Panthers to be victorious in the second OT. The is the first buzzer beater three I can recall for the Panthers.

18. Ashton Gibbs – Texas – 2010 – Ashton drains an unconscious three against the Longhorns with under 2 minutes to go to put the Panthers in the lead to stay.

17. Antonio Graves – Louisville – 2007 – Antonio’s 4th three caps a 20-2 run to start the second half vaulting the Panthers to a Big East Tournament Semi-final victory.

16. Lamar Patterson – Clemson – 2014 – Let’s put two LP shots to together for this entry. Lamar hits a three with three seconds to cut the Tigers lead to 2, opening the door for Josh Kirkirk’s miracle. Then Lamar hits a three to opening the OT and the Panthers never look back.

15. Sam Young – Villanova – 2009 – Sometimes forgotten with everything else that happened in the Elite 8 game was the three Sam hit to cut the Wildcat lead from four points to one in the final minute.

14. James Robinson – Villanova – 2013 – James’s three with about 30 seconds to go ties the game where the Panthers win it in OT.

13. Levance Fields – VCU – 2007 - After missing foul shots to win in regulation, Fields’ three gives the Panthers a four point lead on the way to the Sweet 16.

12. Julius Page – UCF – 2004 -- Julius’ three point shot had failed him late in this fine Panther season. And he started off this game 0-5 from three (and a couple them weren’t close). But his sixth three point shot was dagger that allowed the Panthers to take control of this NCAA tourney game.

11. Ron Ramon – Notre Dame – 2006 – Ron’s three with less than 20 seconds to go gives the Panthers a 2OT win.

10. Levance Fields – OK State – 2009 – Levance’s three in the final minute and a half gives the Panthers the lead for good on their way to the Sweet 16. (Of note, he also hit a three with a couple seconds left in the first half which tied the game going into the break.)

9. Jason Matthews – Georgia – 1991 – Jason’s three late ties the game sending it into OT where the Panthers were victorious.

8. Tim Glover – Georgia – 1991 – Tim’s 4th three of the half tied the game late in the second period leading to the eventual Pitt win in OT.

7. Garrick Thomas – Seton Hall – 1993 – Freshman Garrick hits an incredible deep bomb at the buzzer to beat the Pirates.

6. Ashton Gibbs – Providence – 2010 – Ashton’s 30 foot bomb at the buzzer snags a victory from the jaws of defeat.

5. Levance Fields – UConn – 2009 – Levance’s 2nd three in the game’s last final three minutes gives the Panthers a six point lead on their way to their first victory ever over a #1.

4. Ashton Gibbs – WVU – 2010 – Ashton’s three caps the Panthers 7 point comeback in the final minute to send the game into OT.

3. Levance Fields – Xavier – 2009 – An out of nowhere three gives the Panthers the lead they never lose on their way to the Elite 8.

2. Ron Ramon – WVU – 2008 – Second greatest moment ever at the Pete.

1. Levance Fields – Duke – 2007 – Maybe the biggest single shot in Panther’s history.
Did Sam Young hit any threes in his epic one on one battle with Deonta Vaughn from Cincy? Can't remember the year. All I remember is one guy would score, the other would answer. Sam won. One of the best heavyweight battles in Pitt hoops history.

Mobley had a big game in that one if I remember right.
Morningstar was big that night but I remember Mobley went into the game and dunked, blocked a shot and on the break off the block hit a turnaround jumper. Underrated player in the program’s history.

Morningstar was big that night but I remember Mobley went into the game and dunked, blocked a shot and on the break off the block hit a turnaround jumper. Underrated player in the program’s history.

Morningstar was huge in this Kentucky game -- 27 points. Could have been more had he not sucked from the line. One of the great performances in Pitt history.

Mobley had a couple buckets and gave as a peek at what he could be.

Morningstar was huge in this Kentucky game -- 27 points. Could have been more had he not sucked from the line. One of the great performances in Pitt history.

Mobley had a couple buckets and gave as a peek at what he could be.
You're right.What he did do was flashy and as you say what could have been.

Kid got screwed big time, playing behind Omo Moses and Ghandi Jordan.

He could shoot for sure, but he was really, really slow and we not a Big East player. Omo and Ghandi weren't any good either, but they could defend a little bit.

He could shoot for sure, but he was really, really slow and we not a Big East player. Omo and Ghandi weren't any good either, but they could defend a little bit.
My opinion: He could shoot. He was fundamentally sound, He understood how to play the game. ( I believe he is teaching the game still today)

Under different circumstances, he could have been Jason Maile. I believe he could have been better than Joey David who played a lot.

Glover and John Johnson are the two players in all my years of watching Pitt basketball, that I think could have been more.

My opinion: He could shoot. He was fundamentally sound, He understood how to play the game. ( I believe he is teaching the game still today)

Under different circumstances, he could have been Jason Maile. I believe he could have been better than Joey David who played a lot.

Glover and John Johnson are the two players in all my years of watching Pitt basketball, that I think could have been more.

Glover transferring to Texas Arlington in the Southland Conference and averaging 9.5 PPG should tell you all you need to know about what he could have been.

Same is true for John Johnson and what he did at PSU (7 PPG).

Glover transferring to Texas Arlington in the Southland Conference and averaging 9.5 PPG should tell you all you need to know about what he could have been.

I agree that their stats are what they are. I also think being at the right spot and right time and being used in the optimal manner, could write
a different history.

Competitive golfers can recall shots from tournaments 30/40 yrs ago , but man your memory of Pitt bb is off the charts ! Well done .
Fields vs Duke no doubt !

Reactions: gary2 and jctrack
I love any mention of Chevy's second half in UConn in 2005. All things considered, that had to be the greatest one half performance in Pitt history.

Not long ago, after Trey's 20 first half performance against the Cards, someone asked what the Pitt record was for most points in a half. The answer was Jamel's 32 points in the second half against Louisville.

Also noteworthy were Demetrius Gore's 28 against Wisconsin and Jason Maile's 28 against Villanova.

Still, I'd have to put Chevy's 25 points in that second half above any of them.

Also, I remember that game with Antonio against Villanova. It was on a "Big Monday" and Jay Bilas was completely amazed with how well Antonio was playing. Don't forget too, that Levance hit a big three right after Antonio's that may have really iced the game.

One of these days, I should figure out Levance's 3pt% after the final TV timeout in games.

Your recall is incredible ! I don't even remember that Levance made a shot after that. I do remember that there were a fair number of Pitt fans in attendance who made some noise on those baskets !

Your recall is incredible ! I don't even remember that Levance made a shot after that. I do remember that there were a fair number of Pitt fans in attendance who made some noise on those baskets !

I used to watch each of these games a number of times on replay. This particular game is just one that sticks out.

I don't watch replays as I used to. Much of it is just a simple question of time. It was easier when your kid is just a few years old. Gets tougher when he gets older (and even dominates the TV with Fornite).

I think the last time I rewatched a game was the Virginia game in Stallings' first season. I haven't even been setting the recorder since then.

Reactions: jctrack and Pitt MD
DT

How about one of the 3s Gil hit late in the big comeback vs Cuse at the Dome in 08?

The two I remember the most was Ramon and Ashton against WVU. Anything against those ass clowns is memorable for this old codger.
As DT said, the 3 pointer came into the college game in 86, and for the first 2 or 3 years when a foul was committed you only got two free throws. On a previous thread about "eras", I mentioned the "underachieving Evans" teams. Well, this leads me into the worst 3 pointer ever. Can you say "Barry Goheen"! If you foul him, he only gets two shots.

Reactions: MajorMajors

Speaking about Joey David: I remember there was a steal, David got the ball with a quarter court lead on the nearest defender, David kept looking back and sure enough, the defender timed and easily blocked his layup. David was slow.

Glover may have been caught from behind, but would have been clever enough to at least get fouled.

Speaking about Joey David: I remember there was a steal, David got the ball with a quarter court lead on the nearest defender, David kept looking back and sure enough, the defender timed and easily blocked his layup. David was slow.

Glover may have been caught from behind, but would have been clever enough to at least get fouled.
Lol

The amount of man love here for a guy who scored 32 points in his entire 20 game Pitt career is, well, odd.

Part of what makes it so odd is that we are positing that a guy who literally shot 0 foul shots in those 20 games would have certainly figured out a way to get fouled in any situation.

The amount of man love here for a guy who scored 32 points in his entire 20 game Pitt career is, well, odd.

Part of what makes it so odd is that we are positing that a guy who literally shot 0 foul shots in those 20 games would have certainly figured out a way to get fouled in any situation.
I like who I like - could you just accept or ignore that - OK?

This was not an intense discussion - more like a comical, throw away line.

I like who I like - could you just accept or ignore that - OK?

It's a message board. It's meant for discussion. If you don't want someone commenting on something that you've posted, especially something that's, let's say, out of the mainstream then you probably ought not post it in the first place. Because talking about these things is kind of the whole point of this.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Levance is on the list six times. Ron and Ashton are second with 3 each.

DT, great list. Curious, are there any names you’re surprised didn’t make the final list? Donatas Zavackas comes to mind for me. Perhaps you disqualified him from consideration? I don’t possess your recall for specifics but it seems to me he hit a few late daggers.

DT, great list. Curious, are there any names you’re surprised didn’t make the final list? Donatas Zavackas comes to mind for me. Perhaps you disqualified him from consideration? I don’t possess your recall for specifics but it seems to me he hit a few late daggers.

Great call on Dnots!! He hit a huge three to tie Seton Hall in the game at their place in 2002. The shot sent the game into OT where the Panthers won it. That should definitely be on the list!

Great call on Dnots!! He hit a huge three to tie Seton Hall in the game at their place in 2002. The shot sent the game into OT where the Panthers won it. That should definitely be on the list!
Shoes off or on?

Dnots is one of the more underrated Panthers. I would love to see Capel bring in a guy like him. Can back underneath, rebound, pass and step out and hit the 3. To bad it ended so badly that he is more remembered for the shoes incident.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Dnots is one of the more underrated Panthers. I would love to see Capel bring in a guy like him. Can back underneath, rebound, pass and step out and hit the 3. To bad it ended so badly that he is more remembered for the shoes incident.
Bad ass defender too.

Bad ass defender too.
Yeah, tough guy, brought that Lithuanian Darius Kasparaitus hockey mentality. We could use someone line that right now.

I mean, think about it, that was a bad ass team. Dnots. OLett. Torree Morris. Brandin. Julius. JB. Add Chevy........holy hell, that has to rank in the top 5 of toughest and most physical bad ass Pitt teams of the last 35 years. Oh, I am including the football program in this conversation.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Yeah, tough guy, brought that Lithuanian Darius Kasparaitus hockey mentality. We could use someone line that right now.

I mean, think about it, that was a bad ass team. Dnots. OLett. Torree Morris. Brandin. Julius. JB. Add Chevy........holy hell, that has to rank in the top 5 of toughest and most physical bad ass Pitt teams of the last 35 years. Oh, I am including the football program in this conversation.
Indeed ... and add Carl.

True story, for those who are good enough to read this deep into the thread.

During the Howland Dixon years, I had the good fortune the become very good friends with the Hoops SID.

He told me a great story about why Howland closed practices to the public. It wasn’t to keep strategic secrets. It was much more because of the fights that would happen in practice.

His favorite story was an altercation between Jaron and Brandin. Jaron was so enraged that he started chasing Brandin and to get away, Brandin actually started running into the seats at the Pete.

Because this was such a regular occurrence, the staff just continued on with the practice while Jaron was still chasing Brandin.

There were also similar stories with Levance, who would beat on a berate guys such as Brad to the point of tears.

These were mentally and physically tough fighting kids.

Much of this was what led to Birch’s departure. He walked out of practice in tears more than once as well.

When he went to Dixon complained about playing time, Dixon sent him to Captain’s Nasir, Ashton and Tray Woodall who also acted as a captain at the time.

All three told him too damm bad, in a matter if speaking.

If you recall, Tray’s comments after Birch’s departure were: “Pitt Basketball is not for everybody.”

Boy ... those were the days.

But it would at least seem that X and Trey and AD are cut from the same cloth,

Awesome, very detailed list. Hard to argue something that offered so much insight into why each shot was so important.

I certainly can’t argue against Levance’s 3 vs. Duke, and I was in attendance for Ramon’s game winner vs. WVU. Levance’s was on a big stage (the garden, vs. duke, national TV) and everyone was watching. Ramon’s shot made the Pete go crazy.

I don’t disagree, and I’m not saying this shot should be #1. For my money though, as far as biggest impact.... levance vs. Xavier in the sweet sixteen was my personal favorite.

Pitt had been one of the winningest programs in America over a several year span, but had failed to ever make it past the sweet sixteen. The shot was similar to the one vs. duke, a shot only someone with pure ice running through their veins could make. But the Elite Eight appearance was the biggest accomplishment I’ve seen in my life, the win vs. Xavier was the most satisfying I’ve enjoyed. It’s just hard for me to not give that serious consideration for #1.

Reactions: billyberoux
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT