ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon George

Thanks for posting... he may get some serious playing time as a freshman..
At what position?

Maybe as special teams player and some sort of rush end/backer in a dime defense on passing downs in sub package?

I’d like to see him at mlb but a lot on this board thinks the game has no need for 245 lb middle linebackers. Something I’m not yet ready to accept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usuallyunusual
At what position?

Maybe as special teams player and some sort of rush end/backer in a dime defense on passing downs in sub package?

I’d like to see him at mlb but a lot on this board thinks the game has no need for 245 lb middle linebackers. Something I’m not yet ready to accept.
Good thing “some on this board” aren’t coaches. He may not end up being a mlb but I would like to see him get a shot there.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Very interested in watching his development.

I like him at linebacker but I love him at DE or an H-Back.

What makes you love him at DE? The athleticism for that size? Just curious, since I didn't see him playing with his hand in the dirt on D. I agree on the H-back role. Soft hands and good feet.

At what position?

I think this kid at the bare minimum plays 4 games and then takes a RS. I would not be surprised to see them take the RS off and him to stay in the 2 Deep.

Pugh isn’t good enough to start for Howard, and Pine plays LB for Pitt. What are you talking about?
I happen to think that flip floppery (or maybe I should say flabbery, as in the folly of the original attempt to fatten them into linemen) contributed to their, well, lack of contribution.

What makes you love him at DE? The athleticism for that size? Just curious, since I didn't see him playing with his hand in the dirt on D. I agree on the H-back role. Soft hands and good feet.

I don't love his short area quickness or change of direction at LB. He's a strider. However, with his hand in the ground, those things don't come into play.

I happen to think that flip floppery (or maybe I should say flabbery, as in the folly of the original attempt to fatten them into linemen) contributed to their, well, lack of contribution.

Well... you're wrong...

Pugh was a DL in hs. He had no instincts for the lb and was lazy. Same as hs. He couldn't play for Howard.

I don't love his short area quickness or change of direction at LB. He's a strider. However, with his hand in the ground, those things don't come into play.

I get that, but watching his highlights, he did a good job of reading the offense and was able to make a lot of plays at or behind the line from MLB. Might be a different story at the next level though.

I really like when he has the ball in his hands. Even on some of the INTs, he moves well in the open field for a big kid. I would try him there but wouldn't be disappointed in the least if he was moved to DE. (Assuming that move wouldn't make him fat and ruin him as a player of course.)

I get that, but watching his highlights, he did a good job of reading the offense and was able to make a lot of plays at or behind the line from MLB. Might be a different story at the next level though.

I really like when he has the ball in his hands. Even on some of the INTs, he moves well in the open field for a big kid. I would try him there but wouldn't be disappointed in the least if he was moved to DE. (Assuming that move wouldn't make him fat and ruin him as a player of course.)
I just hope the staff has a game plan for him. I don’t want to see him start at lb then after his redshirt freshmen year, they then move him to DE and need another year of him to learn his new position.

That’s what annoys me. If he’s a DE then great, Put him there. Don’t wait and figure it out after he’s been here2 years.

I just hope the staff has a game plan for him. I don’t want to see him start at lb then after his redshirt freshmen year, they then move him to DE and need another year of him to learn his new position.

That’s what annoys me. If he’s a DE then great, Put him there. Don’t wait and figure it out after he’s been here2 years.
I have Pat Narduzzi on Line 1 for you...straighten his butt out!

Players change positions all the time in college. Some don't take, but plenty do. Ejuan Price made a similar move and was AA. Bryan Knight came to Pitt as a WR before becoming an All-BE DE. Look at Conner, Clemmings, Christy, Poteat, Pinkston, Spencer, O'Neill, Grimm, ... All of them ended up thriving after switches. You throw out Pugh and lay the blame on the coaches. But as others have pointed out, his lack of success at a lower level might show that it might have been limited by his ability.

And "high" profile players flame out all the time..Doesn't mean the staff botched anything.
We don't get enough high profile recruits to easily afford squandering them like blue bloods can. Which seemed to be the case with these two, possibly at least partially salvaged with Pine moving back again. As for Pugh, he certainly looks to have flamed out after transferring, but I believe that was at least part on the coaches for dicking around too much with him.

It's cute when the coaching groupies get their undies in a knot when anything less than "Coach is God" opinions are offered. But those are my observations and views on the subject at hand... these were highly anticipated gets and the coaches (to date) failed with them. And i sincerely hope that they succeed better with this new recruit, and not repeat history.

As long as the team is mediocre and the defense (to now) has been subpar, with questionable guys getting PT over guys with more potential ... questions are gonna be raised. Sorry if that is so offensive to some.

We don't get enough high profile recruits to easily afford squandering them like blue bloods can. Which seemed to be the case with these two, possibly at least partially salvaged with Pine moving back again. As for Pugh, he certainly looks to have flamed out after transferring, but I believe that was at least part on the coaches for dicking around too much with him.

It's cute when the coaching groupies get their undies in a knot when anything less than "Coach is God" opinions are offered. But those are my observations and views on the subject at hand... these were highly anticipated gets and the coaches (to date) failed with them. And i sincerely hope that they succeed better with this new recruit, and not repeat history.

As long as the team is mediocre and the defense (to now) has been subpar, with questionable guys getting PT over guys with more potential ... questions are gonna be raised. Sorry if that is so offensive to some.
mckee, come on man. you are blaming pitt coaches for Pugh? dude cant start on howard's intramural flag football coed team.. This has nothing to do with Narduzzi using him as a DE over an OLB. it was a miss, nothing more. coaches, recruiting sites, everyone just missed on him..

he didn't flame out after transferring, he flamed out after leaving high school.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Just keep in mind that it is only an opinion, not proven fact when someone offers an alternative.

mckee, come on man. you are blaming pitt coaches for Pugh? dude cant start on howard's intramural flag football coed team.. This has nothing to do with Narduzzi using him as a DE over an OLB. it was a miss, nothing more. coaches, recruiting sites, everyone just missed on him..

he didn't flame out after transferring, he flamed out after leaving high school.
I'll be open minded on Pugh being his own problem because circumstantial evidence suggests he should have done better at Howard just on being a better prospect than what they usually get.

But i'm not yielding on Pine, he showed in the PT he's had that he was at least the LB we had playing (poorly) ahead of him, and not suited to DL.

Reactions: coolbreeze20772
I'll be open minded on Pugh being his own problem because circumstantial evidence suggests he should have done better at Howard just on being a better prospect than what they usually get.

But i'm not yielding on Pine, he showed in the PT he's had that he was at least the LB we had playing (poorly) ahead of him, and not suited to DL.
yeah, Pine has been D'ed around here, i wont disagree with you on this one. never understood the ridiculous idea of him as some sort of DE.. stupid and it's been proven as he has been moved back..

I actually liked when Ford went to CB but he isn't getting any PT at CB so i see the reasoning to move him to strong / boundary safety. get your playmakers on the field.. cambell wasn't cutting it at safety so move him to olb. what else are you gonna do? Keep him at a position where he cant play?

Reactions: coolbreeze20772
yeah, Pine has been D'ed around here, i wont disagree with you on this one. never understood the ridiculous idea of him as some sort of DE.. stupid and it's been proven as he has been moved back..

I actually liked when Ford went to CB but he isn't getting any PT at CB so i see the reasoning to move him to strong / boundary safety. get your playmakers on the field.. cambell wasn't cutting it at safety so move him to olb. what else are you gonna do? Keep him at a position where he cant play?
And, I'll cheerfully admit I'm a fool for Aliquippa players. Maybe I just want them to do better than perhaps they're capable... but I also think we've had coaches outsmart themselves too often when trying to recruit them, and/or once we had em ... just let em loose more to do their thing and not try to go all Data Analytics with em... they're gamers, not hospital corner guys...

And, I'll cheerfully admit I'm a fool for Aliquippa players. Maybe I just want them to do better than perhaps they're capable... but I also think we've had coaches outsmart themselves too often when trying to recruit them, and/or once we had em ... just let em loose more to do their thing and not try to go all Data Analytics with em... they're gamers, not hospital corner guys...
i thought pugh was gonna be a monster for us, very disappointed. i also though Monroe weekly was gonna be great for us too. i need to stop expecting greatness from quippa LB/DEs..

on a fip side, i didn't expect much from Brandon Lindsey and he had a nice career for us.. no one beats my man CHEEEEEEEECO Williams. i know it's spelled Chico but i wanted to give the fedko call..

At what position?

I dont understand this statement. Are you saying that is too slim, or too big? I think 245 mlb seem just about right? MLB rely on speed and strength, you have to certainly go sideline to sideline, but also cant miss a tackle.

Well... thanks for your opinion... which I disagree with.

The staff botched these high profile recruits.
Really?

How did they pan out when they left Pitt, at much lesser levels of play?

not one of them has been able to get on the field for their new teams.

If the staff botched anything in relation to these guys, it was their recruiting evaluations of these players. And they weren't alone in that.

I dont understand this statement. Are you saying that is too slim, or too big? I think 245 mlb seem just about right? MLB rely on speed and strength, you have to certainly go sideline to sideline, but also cant miss a tackle.

The problem with most 18 year old LB's who are in that 235-245lb range is that they will be 260-275 in the blink of an eye just due 24/7 training and nutrition.

In this day and age MLB needs less size must be able to run.

I think his skills will allow him to play LB but not for long.

WHile true for the ave freshman ( freshman 15 lbs) he will be eating much more nutritiously than his classmates not playing fb or when he was in high school. He can maintain is weight and build more muscle mass.

The problem with most 18 year old LB's who are in that 235-245lb range is that they will be 260-275 in the blink of an eye just due 24/7 training and nutrition.

In this day and age MLB needs less size must be able to run.

I think his skills will allow him to play LB but not for long.

WHile true for the ave freshman ( freshman 15 lbs) he will be eating much more nutritiously than his classmates not playing fb or when he was in high school. He can maintain is weight and build more muscle mass.

It's true for most football players not just students. He'll no longer be a 3 sport athlete who must balance strength and conditioning + nutrition with those other sport requirements. It will be full bore football for the next 4-5 years.

He could curtail his current training to lose some muscle in the same way Connor and Leveon Bell did. I just don't see it happening.

I think he going to be a 6'2-6'3 255lb DE quicker than you think.

Look at his build. He's a solid 235 pounder and will be 250 easy in a year or two. DE or TE is where he'll end up.

Big run stopping LBs are of little value in today's game. Don't even waste time with him there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT