ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon George

I did I was only implying that I think he is gonna play MLB. Have you seen him up close? Reminds u of Shawn Lee. Think he is 33 in 2018 opening standings as well scored 7 points higher than Micha Parsons the previous year.

The problem with most 18 year old LB's who are in that 235-245lb range is that they will be 260-275 in the blink of an eye just due 24/7 training and nutrition.

In this day and age MLB needs less size must be able to run.

I think his skills will allow him to play LB but not for long.

Yeah, but he has already been training like crazy. I dont see him bulking up that much. But, you are right... either he will add speed and be a great linebacking candidate, or he will add bulk and be on the line.

Im hoping for linebacker, to me, he seems like one.

Look at his build. He's a solid 235 pounder and will be 250 easy in a year or two. DE or TE is where he'll end up.

Big run stopping LBs are of little value in today's game. Don't even waste time with him there
Could have used one of those run-stopping LBs on Clemson’s first play from scrimmage in the ACC championship game..... LBs who can fill holes still matter!

Could have used one of those run-stopping LBs on Clemson’s first play from scrimmage in the ACC championship game..... LBs who can fill holes still matter!
more of a philosophical question but you wonder if coaches (in college especially) focus more on coverage and the proverbial "sideline to sideline" skill sets over good old fashioned run thumper, fill the gap linebackers of yesteryear..

with offenses getting away from power run games, maybe so. even look at the steelers. last two high MLB picks were glorified safeties. Shazier and this rookie this year..

more of a philosophical question but you wonder if coaches (in college especially) focus more on coverage and the proverbial "sideline to sideline" skill sets over good old fashioned run thumper, fill the gap linebackers of yesteryear..

with offenses getting away from power run games, maybe so. even look at the steelers. last two high MLB picks were glorified safeties. Shazier and this rookie this year..

Not to change topics, but this is the reason why I said there has never been a better time to be a up the middle power running team then right now. Defenses are not built to stop it anymore. The fact that we are arguing taking what was always a prototypical MLB and moving him to DE proves this.

Reactions: Pittparade
Not to change topics, but this is the reason why I said there has never been a better time to be a up the middle power running team then right now. Defenses are not built to stop it anymore. The fact that we are arguing taking what was always a prototypical MLB and moving him to DE proves this.

Wasn't that what we were last year?

Wasn't that what we were last year?

Yes and no. When Watson called power plays, no one stopped Hall or Ollison. When Watson called RPO or Pass plays, it was mostly to bad results. You would think that a D1 OC would recognize what was working and call to that strength, but nope. Some how Watson kept putting the ball in KP hands or calling RPO far more then needed. If Pitt was truly comfortable being the power run team they were built to be, they win a min of 2 more games if not more and they keep other games from being blow outs.

Yes and no. When Watson called power plays, no one stopped Hall or Ollison. When Watson called RPO or Pass plays, it was mostly to bad results. You would think that a D1 OC would recognize what was working and call to that strength, but nope. Some how Watson kept putting the ball in KP hands or calling RPO far more then needed. If Pitt was truly comfortable being the power run team they were built to be, they win a min of 2 more games if not more and they keep other games from being blow outs.

Abso-freaking-lutely!! Against PSU, we had 200 yards rushing in the first half, and down should have been killing PSU...

First half...
3 and out
10 play 76 yards - TD ALL RUNS
9 play - 42 yards - 4 passes, 3 incomplete, one INT at PSU 1
7 play 79 yard drive, 2 pass completions for 9 yards total then a miss FG on the holder not catching the ball
Next drive drove to psu one before trying to go for it and turning the ball over on downs trying to sweep run

Next drive a bad holding call gives us 1-20, we then run 3 times for 14 yards to kill the half, but our punter fumbled the punt giving them a 14 yard TD.
Then an 8 yard run to end the half

This is every drive of the first half, we should have been winning and we shoved the ball down their throat, then hold psu to a 3 and out on the first drive of the second half, and come out throwing the ball (unsuccessfully). Then many penalties and sloppy play later we caved.

We should have just kept pounding it, shortening the game, doing what was working, and spreading it out.

Anyways.... I just bummed myself out :)

The Big 33 coaches absolutely loved this kid and even Franklin admitted that he wished they went after him. Unlike the two PSU kids who never showed up or the DB that left in the middle of the quarter and got dressed

The Big 33 coaches absolutely loved this kid and even Franklin admitted that he wished they went after him. Unlike the two PSU kids who never showed up or the DB that left in the middle of the quarter and got dressed

No offense but is there an existing source to support either assertion? You may be 100% accurate but why should we believe somebody posting on this board for the very first time?

What assertion?

Two assertions by the poster vinceinny:

1. Big 33 coaches loved BG.
2. Franklin admitted that he wished PSU had went after him.

Is there proof of either one?

#1 --- Yes, per the reading eagle:

"Brandon's a special player," he (coach Lyons) said. "You couldn't ask for a better young man. He's respectful, works hard, all about the team. But boy, when he gets on the field he's a different person. The University of Pittsburgh's getting a special one, that's for sure."

#2 ??? Not sure this can be proven unless there is a link quoting JF.

The beautiful thing about social media is you can darn near ask anybody anything.

"Brandon's a special player," he (coach Lyons) said. "You couldn't ask for a better young man. He's respectful, works hard, all about the team. But boy, when he gets on the field he's a different person. The University of Pittsburgh's getting a special one, that's for sure."

In this situation, for Franklin to admit he wished he had gone harder at George, it would be earth shattering. Imagine, a kid worthy of PSU going to Pitt?

Reactions: Mikefln

Coaches talk to each other. It wouldn’t be surprising for a college coach to tell a high school coach or a friend that he wished he recruited a certain player. But the college coach isn’t going to tell this to a rival coach or the media.

Reactions: pittdan77
Aside from Davis Beville, George and Kiy Wright are the two guys from this class I am most excited about. Also two guys I have no idea where they will end up playing. I hope we don't waste a year of eligibility like we did with Dorin Dickerson in trying to figure it out.

Reactions: Mikefln
Coaches talk to each other. It wouldn’t be surprising for a college coach to tell a high school coach or a friend that he wished he recruited a certain player. But the college coach isn’t going to tell this to a rival coach or the media.

But he would say that off the record to a HS coach to pump a guy's ego regardless of how he feels. And that's not just him.

They showed the first 4 practices and never showed in Harrisburg. Took 2 spots from kids who would have been able to play.

Know for a fact he was invited out for Iowa game last year after he verbally committed and he told them thanks but I’m going to Pitt

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Watch this kid's tape. Best coverage drops of any LB I've seen Pitt get since Internet video got hot 10yrs ago. He may get a little bigger than one would like, but he has an insinctive feel for coverage and defending the pass.

If he can stay under 250lbs, I believe this kid would not get regularly abused in the passing game as most of our MLB's have in recent years.

If they had a safety who could add in run support that LB wouldn't matter. That play included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT