ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble Viewing Guide - 02/26 - Bad Night for Los Angeles Edition

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
The Bubble Guide took some hits for showing pictures of dead animals yesterday. It's a weird psychological phenomenon, really. The most popular TV show in the world right now features an endless supply of dead humans walking around and nobody blinks an eye. But a still photo of a dead blue jay or a dead panther creeps people out.

But I digress.

Last night was a bad night for major college basketball teams in the Los Angeles area. Let's get into it...

Thursday's Biggest Losers

UCLA
lh310-gr.jpg

If their name wasn't "UCLA", I doubt many would consider them even a potential tournament team. Their decisive loss to Cal last night may have been their last chance to make a move up the bubble. They're now 15-13, and only the PAC12's gaming of the RPI system has them even with a sliver of a chance. Their chances dropped from 16.6% to 10.0%. Hopefully this picture of a dead bear doesn't offend anybody's sensibilities too much.

USC
trojan2.jpg

The Trojans are on a bit of a "slide" with their second straight blowout loss, this time at Stanford. Their once solid NCAA tournament bid is "slipping away". Chances dropped from 80.3% to 67.2%

Providence
sad_friar_0_1403178054.jpg

Providence lost at fellow Big East bubbler Seton Hall and saw their chances drop from 57.0% all the way down to 43.0%.

UNC-Wilmington
twitter-bird-dead-paul-anthony.jpg

Any time a good mid major team loses, it hurts them on the bubble much more than when it happens to a high major team. The reason is there are no more opportunities to offset the loss with a good win. UNC-Wilmington lost to the only good team left on their schedule, fellow bubbler Hofstra, and saw their chances plummet from 53.3% to 34.3%. I hope this picture of a dead seahawk doesn't offend anyone.

Thursday's Winners

Seton Hall
VCSTXTZKSICNNHP.20121206213556.jpg

The Pirates got a big win over fellow Big East bubbler Providence, and saw their chances jump from 66.2% to 77.5%.

Hofstra
2150803005_f8c38f002b.jpg

Hofstra got a big win over rival UNC-Wilmington, and saw their chances rise from 31.9% to 41.7%.

Gonzaga?
11205995.jpeg

Even though the Bulldogs won at lowly San Diego last night, their NCAA chances actually dropped from 57.1% to 55.5%. Such is the precarious position Mark Few finds himself. Wins aren't helping now, but losses would be devastating. Still, they treaded water and lived to fight another day.

Friday's Light Bubble Schedule

Bowling Green
at Akron (RPI: 51 Chances: 44.6%)
7pm, CBSSN
- The Zips suffered a horrible loss the other day against Miami(OH) and another loss would pretty much kill any hopes at an at-large bid. Go Falcons!

Valparaiso (RPI: 56 Chances: 78.5%)
at Milwaukee
7pm, ESPN2
- Most of Valpo's NCAA chances rest on winning an auto-bid. But they do have a 19% chance of an at-large. If they want to have some insurance against losing in their conference finals, they simply cannot lose any other games. Go Panthers!

Rider
at Monmouth (RPI: 45 Chances: 45.3%)
9PM, ESPN2
- Monmouth needs to keep winning. They simply cannot afford another loss, or their only chance of making the tournament is to win the MAAC. Go Broncs!

Reactions: MoTownPanther
Something that might make the Bubble even better would be a Pitt block, something that shows the Pitt percentage every day and how it moves up or down even when they don't play.

The Bubble Guide took some hits for showing pictures of dead animals yesterday. It's a weird psychological phenomenon, really. The most popular TV show in the world right now features an endless supply of dead humans walking around and nobody blinks an eye. But a still photo of a dead blue jay or a dead panther creeps people out.

But I digress.

Last night was a bad night for major college basketball teams in the Los Angeles area. Let's get into it...

Thursday's Biggest Losers

UCLA
lh310-gr.jpg

If their name wasn't "UCLA", I doubt many would consider them even a potential tournament team. Their decisive loss to Cal last night may have been their last chance to make a move up the bubble. They're now 15-13, and only the PAC12's gaming of the RPI system has them even with a sliver of a chance. Their chances dropped from 16.6% to 10.0%. Hopefully this picture of a dead bear doesn't offend anybody's sensibilities too much.

USC
trojan2.jpg

The Trojans are on a bit of a "slide" with their second straight blowout loss, this time at Stanford. Their once solid NCAA tournament bid is "slipping away". Chances dropped from 80.3% to 67.2%

Providence
sad_friar_0_1403178054.jpg

Providence lost at fellow Big East bubbler Seton Hall and saw their chances drop from 57.0% all the way down to 43.0%.

UNC-Wilmington
twitter-bird-dead-paul-anthony.jpg

Any time a good mid major team loses, it hurts them on the bubble much more than when it happens to a high major team. The reason is there are no more opportunities to offset the loss with a good win. UNC-Wilmington lost to the only good team left on their schedule, fellow bubbler Hofstra, and saw their chances plummet from 53.3% to 34.3%. I hope this picture of a dead seahawk doesn't offend anyone.

Thursday's Winners

Seton Hall
VCSTXTZKSICNNHP.20121206213556.jpg

The Pirates got a big win over fellow Big East bubbler Providence, and saw their chances jump from 66.2% to 77.5%.

Hofstra
2150803005_f8c38f002b.jpg

Hofstra got a big win over rival UNC-Wilmington, and saw their chances rise from 31.9% to 41.7%.

Gonzaga?
11205995.jpeg

Even though the Bulldogs won at lowly San Diego last night, their NCAA chances actually dropped from 57.1% to 55.5%. Such is the precarious position Mark Few finds himself. Wins aren't helping now, but losses would be devastating. Still, they treaded water and lived to fight another day.

Friday's Light Bubble Schedule

Bowling Green
at Akron (RPI: 51 Chances: 44.6%)
7pm, CBSSN
- The Zips suffered a horrible loss the other day against Miami(OH) and another loss would pretty much kill any hopes at an at-large bid. Go Falcons!

Valparaiso (RPI: 56 Chances: 78.5%)
at Milwaukee
7pm, ESPN2
- Most of Valpo's NCAA chances rest on winning an auto-bid. But they do have a 19% chance of an at-large. If they want to have some insurance against losing in their conference finals, they simply cannot lose any other games. Go Panthers!

Rider
at Monmouth (RPI: 45 Chances: 45.3%)
9PM, ESPN2
- Monmouth needs to keep winning. They simply cannot afford another loss, or their only chance of making the tournament is to win the MAAC. Go Broncs!

I'm going to have to call you out on the dead seahawk. I'm not a bird guy, but I don't think that's a seahawk.

I'm curious what image you are going to use if Providence's chances go to 0%.

Reactions: PITTLAW
I'm going to have to call you out on the dead seahawk. I'm not a bird guy, but I don't think that's a seahawk.

I'm curious what image you are going to use if Providence's chances go to 0%.
Kentucky Fried Chicken.......wait for it...dead fryers.

How long does it take you to make this post on average? Seems like a lot of work. Good job.

Reactions: pitt-girl
Since we are already walking the political correctness "tightrope", how about this cheer from the Hofstra squad:

"Izzy, Ikey, Jakey, Sam; we're the boys that don't eat ham; Go Hofstra!"
Just so you understand my request had nothing to do with being politically correct. :)

What has happened to Providence? They have completely sucked since they beat Villanova.

30-45 minutes for you, but it saves me a ton of time trying to find all of that info by myself, so very much appreciated!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT