ADVERTISEMENT

Games to watch today 3/9…

Blair_45

Redshirt
Feb 21, 2016
Obviously the Wake and Clemson game tonight and Virginia and GT game impact both our seeding in the ACC Tournament and potential NCAA Tournament chances as well but some other games to watch today with bubble teams are these.

Memphis/ Florida Atlantic- Prob root for FAU since I think they are most likely in and don’t want Memphis moving up in some brackets

Villanova/Creighton- Creighton

St John’s/Georgetown-Georgetown

Utah/Oregon- Oregon since Utah is still ahead of Pitt in some brackets

Colorado/Oregon State- Oregon State

New Mexico/Utah State-Utah State

Providence/Uconn-UConn

Drake/Bradley- Bradley to win and not set up a potential scenario where the loser of the Indiana State Drake Miss Valley Conference championship game can still potentially get an at large bid.

Those are all the games I see at first glance today that could directly impact Pitt’s tournament chances and move the bubble around depending upon who wins and loses all these games. Gonna be a fun day of watching basketball today and really this next week with all the conference tournaments starting.

Last edited:
Obviously the Wake and Clemson game tonight and Virginia and GT game impact both our seeding in the ACC Tournament and potential NCAA Tournament chances as well but some other games to watch today with bubble teams are these.

Memphis/ Florida Atlantic- Prob root for FAU since I think they are most likely in and don’t want Memphis moving up in some brackets

Villanova/Creighton- Creighton

St John’s/Georgetown-Georgetown

Utah/Oregon- Oregon since Utah is still ahead of Pitt in some brackets

Colorado/Oregon State- Oregon State

New Mexico/Utah State-Utah State

Providence/Uconn-UConn

Drake/Bradley- Bradley to win and not set up a potential scenario where the loser of the Indiana State Drake Miss Valley Conference championship game can still potentially get an at large bid.

Those are all the games I see at first glance today that could directly impact Pitt’s tournament chances and move the bubble around depending upon who wins and loses all these games. Gonna be a fun day of watching basketball today and really this next week with all the conference tournaments starting.
Yeah it is like a tournament day today already.

Lunardi has moved Drake and Utah still ahead of Pitt with his latest projections and Memphis is now the last team in his next four out. Drake Utah and Memphis have no business being ahead of Pitt right now none what so ever.

Reactions: Elsalvador

Lunardi has moved Drake and Utah still ahead of Pitt with his latest projections and Memphis is now the last team in his next four out. Drake Utah and Memphis have no business being ahead of Pitt right now none what so ever.

Someone is going to have to explain Memphis to me

NET 71
2-2
4-4
11-1
5-1

For me, they arent anywhere close. Would be like a 4 or 5 seed in the NIT

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

NET 71
2-2
4-4
11-1
5-1

If they lose to Florida Atlantic today which they are currently doing they will drop below Pitt.

NET 71
2-2
4-4
11-1
5-1

I am guessing maybe because they have wins over Texas A&M, Clemson and Virginia, and those three are either in or on the bubble, so that's good?

Of course they also have losses to Tulane, UAB and Rice.

The one that I don't get is Indiana State. "A loss by Indiana State would drop the Sycamores into the at large pool and shake up the bubble considerably."

How, exactly? If Indiana State loses to Northern Iowa today, what case do they have at all to be an at large team? Their best win is against Drake, who they also lost to, and who isn't actually in the field right now (although they would be the front runner for their autobid if Indiana State loses). They've only even played two "high level" teams all season, Alabama and Michigan State. Alabama beat them by 22, Michigan State beat them by 10.

If they don't get their autobid they shouldn't get anywhere near the NCAA tournament without buying a ticket.

Reactions: BFo8 and FireballZ
And yet the Mountain West has 6 teams still comfortably in. What a farce.

How can an average San Diego State team (5/6 seed line) prop up the rest of an extremely mediocre and always-underperforming conference (22-55 in the NCAAT), yet Duke and UNC do nothing to help the ACC metrics.

9-22 (2-18). Looks like they played like they pretty much always do? 🤷‍♂️

They were hanging tough, and then St. John's scored 4 or 5 uncontested layups that my f#%&ing dog could have put in the hoop. No effort on defense. Just awful ball. Pitino paid them off. At least I hope.

They were hanging tough, and then St. John's scored 4 or 5 uncontested layups that my f#%&ing dog could have put in the hoop. No effort on defense. Just awful ball. Pitino paid them off. At least I hope.

It was a one point game at the under eight timeout. St. John's then made, iirc, 10 of their next 11 shots.

It was a one point game at the under eight timeout. St. John's then made, iirc, 10 of their next 11 shots.

They picked GT's pocket twice in a row for freebies (no defender within 30 feet) the other way. They got behind the defense twice more for freebies (no defender within 12 feet). Then GT gave absolutely no effort on the glass and they got another layup off a putback when they just threw up some underhanded junk with the shot clock close to zero. Just maddening. GT hit a couple threes on the other end, but the basketball IQ and lack of effort were more frustrating than Ed Cooley not just shaving the rest of his head.

Is Georgetown throwing this at the end? I've never seen a dumber team play in organized sports. Absolutely Stooge City.

The funny thing was at the end of the game, Tim Brando trying to convince people that the Big East is kind of like the Big 12, because they only have one bad team this year. Why even Georgetown is a tough team to beat!

Meanwhile, here in the real world, DePaul is 0-all of them in the Big East, and Georgetown is 0-all of them when they don't get to play DePaul. When was the last time that a power conference had two teams so absolutely pathetic in it? When we went 0-the ACC Wake came in next to last with four wins, only one of which was against us. Even the SEC this year, with Missouri going 0-the conference, next to last Vandy still has two wins over teams not named Missouri.

they just threw up some underhanded junk with the shot clock close to zero.

They didn't really show a good replay of that, but in the one that they showed you could see the shot clock on the basket at the opposite end of the court, and it sure looked like the clock said 0 when the guy still had the ball in his hand. I don't know how they didn't review that, because one way or the other it was very, very close.

And in the good news so far category, Villanova just hit a three to cut Creighton's lead to 32-11 at the under eight timeout.

They didn't really show a good replay of that, but in the one that they showed you could see the shot clock on the basket at the opposite end of the court, and it sure looked like the clock said 0 when the guy still had the ball in his hand. I don't know how they didn't review that, because one way or the other it was very, very close.

Speaking of close, I'm nearing the point of putting on my tinfoil hat. Watching some of the officiating in these conference games between teams that have a chance at the tournament vs ones that don't. I don't know, Joe. Let's just say I may not be microwave safe very soon.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Speaking of close, I'm nearing the point of putting on my tinfoil hat. Watching some of the officiating in these conference games between teams that have a chance at the tournament vs ones that don't. I don't know, Joe. Let's just say I may not be microwave safe very soon.

I guess the good news there would be that if that continues we should get a friendly whistle tonight!

In a game not to watch, WVU down 19 to Cincy with 8 minutes left. Their final 4 chances are 0%. SMF not happy.

Villanova is taking an L, but I doubt they budge from this (though it does keep them from being a guarantee). Might need them to lose in the first round of the BE tournament.

Florida Atlantic St John’s and Creighton win so far today so 2 of 3 results have gone Pitt’s way so far today which is good. More to hopefully come later.

Florida Atlantic St John’s and Creighton win so far today so 2 of 3 results have gone Pitt’s way so far today which is good. More to hopefully come later.
St John’s was a 20 point favorite and won by 8…

My bad on calling Miss State loss early but this loss is their 4th straight. They could be in danger. Also USF is ranked but their metrics aren’t great. They are losing by 10 to Tulsa right now with 3 to go.

On the other side K State and A&M wins not helpful for us. Now time for Pitt to win to keep the hope alive.

Villanova is taking an L, but I doubt they budge from this (though it does keep them from being a guarantee). Might need them to lose in the first round of the BE tournament.

Their first game in the BE tournament is going to be DePaul, unless Providence manages to beat UConn tonight, in which case it will be Georgetown.

They aren't losing their first round BE tournament game.

We need them to lose the second one, and then have the committee look at them and say, "we just can't put a team in the field that ended up 18-15."

My bad on calling Miss State loss early but this loss is their 4th straight. They could be in danger. Also USF is ranked but their metrics aren’t great. They are losing by 10 to Tulsa right now with 3 to go.

On the other side K State and A&M wins not helpful for us. Now time for Pitt to win to keep the hope alive.
South Florida has no shot at an at large now. They really didn’t before, but this ends that hope for good.

Reactions: BFo8
Their first game in the BE tournament is going to be DePaul, unless Providence manages to beat UConn tonight, in which case it will be Georgetown.

They aren't losing their first round BE tournament game.

We need them to lose the second one, and then have the committee look at them and say, "we just can't put a team in the field that ended up 18-15."

Fair enough. Can't say I actually looked at the bracket before making that statement, ha. I just assumed they don't even have enough teams in that conference for the 7th seed to not have to face someone decent in the first round. Hopefully Marquette or whomever knocks them off in their first game against a real team.

South Florida has no shot at an at large now. They really didn’t before, but this ends that hope for good.

Is this true? I assume them not being on the list above means Lunardi has them as something higher than one of the last four byes, which seems comfortably in enough for one game not to knock them out. Not saying he is always right or anything.

Is this true? I assume them not being on the list above means Lunardi has them as something higher than one of the last four byes, which seems comfortably in enough for one game not to knock them out. Not saying he is always right or anything.
They have a net in the 80s, they were a 12 seed, below the at larges, before the loss.

They are like Richmond. Might win the league but no at large hope.

Zero chance, and that was before a Tulsa loss

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT