ADVERTISEMENT

Games to watch today 3/9…

Is this true? I assume them not being on the list above means Lunardi has them as something higher than one of the last four byes, which seems comfortably in enough for one game not to knock them out. Not saying he is always right or anything.
Lunardi and all the brackets have them in as the AQ.

The American is a 1 bid league if FAU wins the tournament, 2 bid league if anyone else does.

Basically the USF loss today eliminates any and all possibility of a 3 bid American

Lunardi actually drops Pitt from next four out but keeps Memphis and Utah who both lost ahead of Pitt. This guy is a complete joke.
These updates that he does make no sense because the reality is teams don’t hop above and below each other in the actual bracketing process. ESPN obviously wants him to do these realtime movements for entertainment and content purposes.

Reactions: jctrack
It’s more that Pitt is picking up a Q4 loss today, as Mizz demolished on road.

It’s more that Pitt is picking up a Q4 loss today, as Mizz demolished on road.
They were down 21 with 4 minutes left and cut it to 3 with 10 seconds to go. They only lost by 4 and ended up covering….their Torvik actually went up 5 spots because of that run…

Last edited:
Dang. Mizzou finished 0-18 in Conference play.

Speaking of the SEC, South Carolina was playing for a share of the SEC title last Wednesday night. They dropped a hard fought game to Tennessee, who won the SEC outright, go on the road and claw out a win against Mississippi State to lock down a 5 seed.

I am guessing maybe because they have wins over Texas A&M, Clemson and Virginia, and those three are either in or on the bubble, so that's good?

Of course they also have losses to Tulane, UAB and Rice.

The one that I don't get is Indiana State. "A loss by Indiana State would drop the Sycamores into the at large pool and shake up the bubble considerably."

How, exactly? If Indiana State loses to Northern Iowa today, what case do they have at all to be an at large team? Their best win is against Drake, who they also lost to, and who isn't actually in the field right now (although they would be the front runner for their autobid if Indiana State loses). They've only even played two "high level" teams all season, Alabama and Michigan State. Alabama beat them by 22, Michigan State beat them by 10.

If they don't get their autobid they shouldn't get anywhere near the NCAA tournament without buying a ticket.

I was listening the Gary Parrish podcast yesterday (taped before Memphis/FAU game) and Matt Norlander was saying that even with a win, Memphis has no shot at an at-large. They went to Torvik and it predicted a 0% chance at an at-large. I dont understand how effing up the American but beating 3 bubble teams in November puts them semi-close to getting in the eyes of some people. Honestly, I think they are looking at a 5 or 6 seed in the NIT.

Obviously the Wake and Clemson game tonight and Virginia and GT game impact both our seeding in the ACC Tournament and potential NCAA Tournament chances as well but some other games to watch today with bubble teams are these.

Memphis/ Florida Atlantic- Prob root for FAU since I think they are most likely in and don’t want Memphis moving up in some brackets

Villanova/Creighton- Creighton

St John’s/Georgetown-Georgetown

Utah/Oregon- Oregon since Utah is still ahead of Pitt in some brackets

Colorado/Oregon State- Oregon State

New Mexico/Utah State-Utah State

Providence/Uconn-UConn

Drake/Bradley- Bradley to win and not set up a potential scenario where the loser of the Indiana State Drake Miss Valley Conference championship game can still potentially get an at large bid.

Those are all the games I see at first glance today that could directly impact Pitt’s tournament chances and move the bubble around depending upon who wins and loses all these games. Gonna be a fun day of watching basketball today and really this next week with all the conference tournaments starting.

About as good of a bubble day as you can ask for:

The Nova loss probably eliminates them unless they make Friday Night @ MSG

The Memphis loss eliminates them from an at-large

The USF loss to Tulsa eliminates them from an at-large. The bracketologists all have 2 American Athletic teams because as the regular season champ, they have USF as the AQ. Need to root hard for FAU to win the tournament because if they do, its a 1 bid league and that opens up a spot.

Utah, UNM, Providence lose.

I think if today was Selection Sunday, we're in but we to win Thursday to be sure.

I was listening the Gary Parrish podcast yesterday (taped before Memphis/FAU game) and Matt Norlander was saying that even with a win, Memphis has no shot at an at-large. They went to Torvik and it predicted a 0% chance at an at-large. I dont understand how effing up the American but beating 3 bubble teams in November puts them semi-close to getting in the eyes of some people. Honestly, I think they are looking at a 5 or 6 seed in the NIT.

Yeah, before yesterday Memphis needed to win yesterday and then at least win to the championship game to even get into the conversation. Now they are so far out that they have to win the championship or they have no chance at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT