ADVERTISEMENT

Burton appreciation post

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
1) I’ll admit when I saw we added a 3 PPG transfer from Texas Tech I had my doubts.

2) I couldn’t be happier I was completely wrong about JB.

I’m not gonna name names of players in fear of catching a stray bullet, but THIS is what an all ACC player looks like. And a contender for player of the year in the ACC.

We’ve had some guys (besides champ) who have been All ACC based on counting stats that were born from pure opportunities but didn’t affect winning in any meaningful way.

Burton has developed into one of the best 3 players in the ACC for his ability to score, dish, make the right play, poise (almost lost it last night but kept it together), and defense. He just finds ways to affect the game and change the game in a Pitt direction.

All while battling a possible knee thing. Can’t wait to watch however many games he has left in a Panther uniform.

1) I’ll admit when I saw we added a 3 PPG transfer from Texas Tech I had my doubts.

2) I couldn’t be happier I was completely wrong about JB.

I’m not gonna name names of players in fear of catching a stray bullet, but THIS is what an all ACC player looks like. And a contender for player of the year in the ACC.

We’ve had some guys (besides champ) who have been All ACC based on counting stats that were born from pure opportunities but didn’t affect winning in any meaningful way.

Burton has developed into one of the best 3 players in the ACC for his ability to score, dish, make the right play, poise (almost lost it last night but kept it together), and defense. He just finds ways to affect the game and change the game in a Pitt direction.

All while battling a possible knee thing. Can’t wait to watch however many games he has left in a Panther uniform.
So true. He has done as good of a job of self evaluating and analyzing his game and then putting it into practice on the court as any player I’ve seen in a long time.

He has been able to do an excellent job of accurately, determining the capabilities of the player, guarding him in man-to-man. He overpowers smaller guys and can out quick many of the bigger ones. He’s developed an excellent change of pace, dribble attack, can play with his back to the basket, distribute, and hit a bunch of mid range shots. And like last night his free-throw shooting has been tremendous.

He’s like a poor man’s Dwayne Wade. Does everything well. Can take over games in many ways. Total team guy.
I was going to say “poor man’s Levance Fields” because there have been very few Pitt guards even going back to the glory years who you can give the ball to late in a game and expect him to win the game. We saw it for the first time last year at St John’s.

I still always go back to Doug Gottleib’s comments about the Dixon teams and how they never seemed to have a “break-you-down” scoring guard in the NCAA tourney. Krauser, Levance and Robinson were excellent PGs, but I don’t know that any of them had the ability to create 1-on-1 or pull up and shoot as well as JB.

he's been nothing but awesome. This is going to be a memorable season. Enjoy this team while you still can.

He may be the most complete guard we have ever had. We have had some good drivers, some good 3 point shooters, and some with a decent midrange game and some who were great assist men. He combines them all and really has no weaknesses although I guess one could argue he isn't consistent enough from 3. He can abuse bigger players by taking them to the hole or post up smaller guys, and he is super strong body wise. Like I said in another thread, there is not another player in the country I would want to have the ball at the end of a tight NCAA tournament game with a shot to win it.

Remember when Pitt fans would always clamor for that "go-to" scorer -- the kind of player we desperately needed to go far in the NCAA's? Well, we've got one. Burton has been nothing less than a complete, total stud this year.

The best word I can think of for Burton is crafty. He's not super explosive....you certainly wouldn't call him smooth. Doesn't have the prettiest shot, but he has an amazing knack to get defenders off their feet and use his body to shield his shot and score. He's the kind of guy that you really didn't want to cover at the local playground pickup game.

Cruzer

Reactions: Drew1208
Who isn’t enjoying this team? Lol

I'd hope everyone is and think everyone is lol .. just meaning not to worry about next year and who will replace who .. just enjoy it while they're all here and playing .. only have a couple months left .. I think we'll be looking back at this year fairly often

Took the team a little over a month to finally gel. I think that’s the risk with the transfer portal route.

Wish we were playing like this when we had the hoopies, UM, VCU, Vandy on the schedule

Especially VCU & Vandy - should not have lost those two… but we at least avoided disaster against teams like Alabama A&M, FDU, North Florida

I was going to say “poor man’s Levance Fields” because there have been very few Pitt guards even going back to the glory years who you can give the ball to late in a game and expect him to win the game. We saw it for the first time last year at St John’s.

I still always go back to Doug Gottleib’s comments about the Dixon teams and how they never seemed to have a “break-you-down” scoring guard in the NCAA tourney. Krauser, Levance and Robinson were excellent PGs, but I don’t know that any of them had the ability to create 1-on-1 or pull up and shoot as well as JB.
All due respect, he’s better than Levance

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT